Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,707 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. (12388 Views)

Igbo Can You Speak Pure Igbo Without Mixing English Words? / Ohanaeze...jonathan's Grandfather Is Igbo / My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by omogenaija(f): 1:43am On Jun 03, 2007
@ ogamadam

please remove those pics , i threw up 10 times b/c they r to beautiful to be real

anyways u and ur bf can work out if the 2 of u really want to just 4get bout culture and think bout urselves and ur happiness in the future
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by nana(f): 7:30pm On Jun 03, 2007
lol @ chigemba and omoge
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OmoEko1(f): 7:57pm On Jun 03, 2007
@omogenaija and chiegemba

LMAO cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by sartorius(m): 3:05am On Jun 04, 2007
grin nice pic, anytime i am sad i will look t that picture
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OgaMadam(f): 11:53am On Jun 04, 2007
Sartorious, or how do i spell your name sorry.

anyways, as long as your happy. but i hope you also understand that those pics are actually NOT me.

read the whole post carefully and you will see that its just 2 african people (probably Kenyan) chatting with each other.

I had a laugh myself when i saw this, so i had to share it wit yall.

Nuff Luv

Madam.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by lysaa(f): 12:34pm On Jun 04, 2007
One of the things i hate in my life is making inconsequential matters a real issue,

Ogamadam, did u have to create a thread for this? If you claim to have an Igbo boyfriend, he should have Nigeria friends as well that could help you with advice. How'd u know that Nigerian's are tribalistic people (which is not totally true) if u don't have facts already about igbos. Is it that u came here to confirm what u know? Your thread is meaningless hence u are getting kicks instead of concern from your posters. Like someone said, play games with your time if u are bored and stop littering nairaland with unwitty threads.

Its true You sound so nigerian, i have met with your type online before. your clons are everywhere, You have same style which is becoming rather sickening. Tell your network of friends. try something different for a change, it'd keep u healthy.

PS: every normal person knows being oneself in a relationship is the paramount, Irrespective of difference in cultural background so, what advice do u need?Afterall u are both africans isn't it?
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OgaMadam(f): 1:10pm On Jun 04, 2007
Another angry bitter ranting little cow. lipsrsealed

what do we do with your type hey?

Better "reco'nise". grin grin grin

Excellent stuff. keep up the good work wink

I DONT HAVE TO DEFEND WHAT TRUTH I HAVE.

pic your battles WISELY honey.

Quit being twitchy. SHADY LYSSA

Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by mekoyo(m): 1:15pm On Jun 04, 2007
and i understand that.  but at the end of the day, i know Nigerians are very tribalistic people.  and even if your african, they may still look at you as oyinbo.  you understand.  so its important that i make that distinction.

Nigerians dont look like Africans as oyinbo ok?

If you still have that thinking facultylet me tell you that Nigeria has gone beyond that level, we are civilized people.

Now to your question, if you truly love each other then there is no problem except you just have a feeling that you cant get married because there are many Nigerians out there or Africans that have gotten married from different continents.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OgaMadam(f): 1:21pm On Jun 04, 2007
mekoyo,
THANKYOU!

Your the only one that has replied precisely.

anyways, i do have friends, who have dated nigerian guys, and they are african, i.e. Zambian, and they have succeeded (and still are going out).  but its just that they have doubts they would ever live up to the standards of a nigerian woman.

I have heard it said "SHE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO BE IGBO".

So why can't i ask that question if as a non-nigerian person, im looking for advice about igbo customs etc.  i look to get serious with my boyfriend, and i have taken recipes so i can learn how to cook his food and all. 

at the end of the day his happiness is important to me, and i as lady, cause ladies usually adjust to a man, have to learn how to cook for him.

In my culture we have customs too. customs can help amongst other things to keep relationships going. one of our customs is when a child is born, it has to be taken to grandparents, and other influential people in the family. If its female, a band of beads has to be put around its little waist. i am not saying we all have to follow custom but i would like to know, what my husbands customs are. is that a sin?

I just came here so people could teach me different things.  And im not only saying online is the place to learn this, other places too, from friends etc, this is just for me another source of information.

Anyways Mekoyo, thanx for your answer.  i was needing that.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by ArmedLion(m): 1:36pm On Jun 04, 2007
were these cute photos taken in holywood, carlifornia? but what photos are these, an ancient woman and an archaic man? are you guys really like these or they're fake? by the way, are there no better background to take photos except the walls?
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OgaMadam(f): 1:46pm On Jun 04, 2007
I don't think people are reading this post carefully.

do you think my intellect is matched by those photos?

Ofcourse its not me.  i said "for sound effects"

comprendo?
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by kezandra: 1:55pm On Jun 04, 2007
Nice pic,you two will definetly make a nice couple.so keep your finger crossed and dont be affarid.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by mekoyo(m): 2:04pm On Jun 04, 2007
Ogamadam

You seemed worried about something why not let it out.
If truly you love each other then you can both make. We are talking about love here.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OgaMadam(f): 2:09pm On Jun 04, 2007
Mekoyo

its just that my WHOLE life is going to change. and that is kind of scary. i love him to bits and pieces but sometimes i just get visions of me in Nigeria, with Nigerian people, and then they will be gossipping about me in their dialects. i will do my best to learn igbo and pidgin.

Yesterday my boyfriend and i had one of those "talks". I feel COMPLETELY at home with him - there is no doubt in my mind about him its scary.

but my family, you know, i think even me! a nigerian guy was the LAST person i ever thought i would end up with. I thought i'd end up with a white man!

But when i saw him, i knew in the first few hours i was going to spend my life with him.

So yes, i am a bit worried about how i will fit in Mekoyo.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by mekoyo(m): 2:31pm On Jun 04, 2007
You'll fit in very well just be yourself
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by LuUmBiOn2(m): 4:46pm On Jun 04, 2007
Hmmmmmmmn!

One love
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by lysaa(f): 6:24pm On Jun 04, 2007
what have u gained in spilling my name over your post?
pork grow up, oops i don't mean to be abrupt, still working on quitting twitching.
pick battle? are u gagging? whats your stress?
My name is lisa surnamed Jonah, whats shady about me, maybe that came out after glancing at u in the mirror.
your post is drivel so whats the essence?
Abeg arange yourself sharp sharp, i bi typical Nigerian from down south.rubbish!!
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OgaMadam(f): 6:31pm On Jun 04, 2007
*****Yawns lazily****
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 04, 2007
I just hope you're not doing yahoo yahoo in South Africa coming here and telling lies.
Hope we don't see you on TV soon grin
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by lysaa(f): 6:58pm On Jun 04, 2007
please ask her again. some scammers!!!!!!!
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OgaMadam(f): 7:02pm On Jun 04, 2007
little tiny knobby little lyssa. oh bless her little sox off.  shame, she is so temparamental grin

i mean it.  your temper is naughty naughty naughty.  angry

Dont sweat the small stuff.  life is good.  enjoy yourself. smiley cheesy grin grin grin
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by Igbobeauty(f): 8:37pm On Jun 04, 2007
I'm igbo and I believe that you don't really need to learn their customs unless you're going to live with him in his village maybe there it would be better for you to know. Whereas if you're going to be living in the city with him then you don't have too, and I think that he should love you for you and you shouldn't have to change your ways just coz you feel that it's compulsory. (See great advice froma girl who watches too many nigerian films, especially igbo ones.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by YOUNGDICEs(m): 2:51pm On Jun 05, 2007
i think you not nigerian you must be from liberia or ivory coast cuz togo,ghana,benin,and naija gilrs don't look like that hell no.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OgaMadam(f): 4:03pm On Jun 05, 2007
igbo beauty that was handy thanx
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OgaMadam(f): 4:11pm On Jun 05, 2007
Seun

why did you move my post from romance, i want it to go back there.  thats were all my peopes be at.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by naijadiva2(f): 4:20pm On Jun 05, 2007
because your topic is more about culture and how to deal with it.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OgaMadam(f): 4:34pm On Jun 05, 2007
not necessarily, cause you have other topics there about nigerians dating chinese. is that not culture?
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by naijadiva2(f): 4:39pm On Jun 05, 2007
its hard to explain. but i understand what you mean.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by OgaMadam(f): 4:40pm On Jun 05, 2007
yep diva we'll see.

i sent a mess 2 seun, hopefully he will see it and move me back.  im bored here. undecided
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by vronnie(f): 11:34pm On Jun 05, 2007
madam, i understand how you are feeling I'm also getting ready to marry a Nigerian man I'm afro-American, yes it is scary but at the same time it's exciting we will be moving to Nigeria (calabar) in January so I'm just going to enjoy and en brace my new experience . so i suggest you do the same he will teach you what is most important to him and that is what really matters. and what really matters to me is that we have made an agreement to return to the states ounce a year so other wise I'm ready . so take care and enjoy the experience.
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by honeric01(m): 11:56pm On Jun 05, 2007
lol, very funny
Re: I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. by malaika(f): 11:55am On Jun 06, 2007
:-x

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yewa Land Lagos History (anagos, Eyos, Ogu (egun), Ifonyin, Ije, Sabe And Ketu) / Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? / Which Nigerian Tribes Eat Dog?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.