Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis (7953 Views)

Dont Be Sad By Aaidh Ibn Abdullah Al-qarni / O Allah, You Be The Judge Between Us And Our People; They Decevd And Desertd Us / As-salat, The First Act To Judge The Servant On The The Day Of Judgement. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by xoxogg(f): 11:27am On Dec 16, 2010

Often times the power and influence that our words and actions carry escapes us.

There are countless reasons a girl chooses not to wear hijab. Maybe she thinks she’s not religious enough or worried that she will have to change her entire lifestyle. Most reasons are often personal, but there are times that someone will not put on hijab due to other people’s actions.

A line I’ve heard on more than one occasion in the past is, “I’d rather not wear hijab and be a good Muslim, then wear hijab and be like her!” As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure I’ve said that line myself a few times in the past.

It’s almost instinctual to think that any girl who says that is simply making excuses not to wear hijab, that she’s pinning her insecurities on someone else. And though this may be true, we should also look at it from the other point of view. Maybe her insecurities are valid. Maybe, just maybe, she has a point.

This by no means justifies the reasoning for not wearing hijab however, as we alone will be accountable for our own actions and not those of others, but it is just to put things into perspective from the ‘other side’ of the story, as perhaps our actions as Muslimahs donning the hijab may be a possible deterrent for another to doubt the concept herself.

Watching our Attitude:

One of the reasons a non-hijabi might say such a thing is because many girls tend to think that because they are wearing hijab, they may be better than the girls who are not covering. This mindset is not only destructive for the hijabi, for obvious reasons, but also for the sister who is not wearing hijab. An arrogant attitude can, and often does, “turn off” other girls from wearing hijab, because they might think that once someone puts on a hijab, they become rude or take on a superior attitude.

Is it Serving its Purpose?

Then, there are the girls who cover, but unfortunately, their actions are not exactly “Islamic.” It’s true that just because you wear a hijab, doesn’t mean that you are perfect or don’t sin. However, wearing a hijab entails more than just covering your hair and a sister who covers has to remember that her actions are more “on display” compared to someone who does not wear a hijab.  Sometimes, girls who don’t wear the hijab are better in their actions compared to the girls who do and, once again, people turn away from wearing hijab because they see a hypocrisy that does not please them.

Both of these scenarios often hinder non-hijabis from getting to know hijabis enough to befriend them, learn from them and become influenced by them. Instead, this attitude creates a divide that restricts both people from getting to know the goodness in the other.

Refraining from Judgement:

It’s easy to point out the weakness in others, especially a physical weakness that is very apparent, like a girl who hasn’t put on the hijab yet, but it’s a lot more difficult to look at our own faults and notice the mistakes in our attitude and actions. So we should try to focus on ourselves and make the changes that we need to become better Muslims. We have to remember that our appearance and our actions should not portray just hijab, , but Islam as a whole, so that we don’t become a means of turning anyone away from this beautiful religion.

We should always ask ourselves, “Do I want to be a catalyst to someone not wearing hijab or turning away from Islam?”

http://www.igotitcovered.org/2010/12/15/through-anothers-eyes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+igotitcovered+(I+Got+It+Covered+-+Online+Hijab+Community)&utm_conte
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by azharuddin: 1:05pm On Dec 16, 2010
Jazakumulllahu Khairan.
We should never judge people or find their faults Because we ourselves are not perfect.

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Hujurat 49:11
O ye who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others: It may be that the (latter) are better than the (former):
Nor let some women laugh at others: It may be that the (latter are better than the (former):
Nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call each other by (offensive) nicknames:
Ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he has believed: And those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong.
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by Abuzola1(m): 4:23pm On Dec 16, 2010
SubhanAllah, this thread is undoubtful misleading. hijab means half veil while Niqab means full veil, it is unislamic to say hijab isn't a sign of iman infact it is hypocrisy, I agree never to judge a book by its cover, women are precious, their body is enticing and charismatic, this is Allah's gift to women.  

A woman who wears  her hijab will not be approach for indecent act, they will even give her prestige by appraising her with alhaja or hajiya, unlike the non hijabi, she will be touched or even drag to indecency. And wouldn't be deter to commit any unislamic taboo, this shows that hijab itself is an obstacle for shaitan. Whereas in a sahih hadith the Prophet said whoever touches a woman who is not his muharram on the day of judgement the skin of that place will be smouch in hell.

Allah's injunction on Hijab

'O Prophet ! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies. That will be better that they should not be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft forgiving, most Merciful' Quran 33:59

''Tell the believing women to lower their gaze, and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent  (e.g eyes to see road) and to draw their veils all over their juyubihinna (i.e their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) ' Quran 24:31

1 Like

Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by azharuddin: 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2010
Hmmm, Thats a very good point Abuzola. The veil is very important indeed.
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 16, 2010
Story story,Them they Bleep ,pretenders.Forget about the Nigerian ones o.Moderation is better than pretending .
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by Abuzola1(m): 5:49pm On Dec 16, 2010
@olas2u- pls save your grammar, the holy Prophet said,'a believer does not fornicates while a believer. The Holy Prophet said in a sahih hadith whoever does Al masha (zina, steal, etc) and comes out and say it or is proud of it , Allah's is angry at him, and if he dies in such circumstance without repenting he is doom'

why do you think we have 3 witness for zina ? And if found the person will be subjected to sharia law. And if they did it discreetly then no punishment,
Here you will observe that to make the public aware of you engaging in zina is callous, but if they do it secretly and later regreted and ask Allah for forgiveness He will certainly forgive InshaALLAH.
In sahih muslim the Prophet said on the day of judgement Allah will say to his slave, 'I conceal your sin on earth and i will conceal it on yaumal Qiyamah'
so what do you think of a person who boast of his sin.

So ola2u, you can suspect them and keep fantasizing, what i want you to know is suspision is haram in Islam. And simply because one or two did it shouldn't be generalize, in every thing there are bad eggs, don't use two or three bad eggs to paint a bad picture of all the hundreds hijabis. We will stand before Allah, lets fear Him. Am talking to you as my muslim brother and if you are a christian then now you know.
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by zayhal(f): 8:30pm On Dec 16, 2010
Abuzola !:

SubhanAllah, this thread is undoubtful misleading. hijab means half veil while Niqab means full veil, it is unislamic to say hijab isn't a sign of iman infact it is hypocrisy, I agree never to judge a book by its cover, women are precious, their body is enticing and charismatic, this is Allah's gift to women.  

A woman who wears  her hijab will not be approach for indecent act, they will even give her prestige by appraising her with alhaja or hajiya, unlike the non hijabi, she will be touched or even drag to indecency. And wouldn't be deter to commit any unislamic taboo, this shows that hijab itself is an obstacle for shaitan. Whereas in a sahih hadith the Prophet said whoever touches a woman who is not his muharram on the day of judgement the skin of that place will be smouch in hell.

Allah's injunction on Hijab

'O Prophet ! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies. That will be better that they should not be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft forgiving, most Merciful' Quran 33:59

''Tell the believing women to lower their gaze, and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent  (e.g eyes to see road) and to draw their veils all over their juyubihinna (i.e their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) ' Quran 24:31

You just hit the nail on the head there Abuzola.

Lame lame lame excuses. A lot of muslim girls gave same excuse while we were in school. One thing we should be clear about is that you can never compare a sister who wears hijab to the one who doesn't. A hijab wearing sister may have other problems, just like any other human being is characterised by different personal weaknesses. But at least, she (the hijabi) obeys Allah in respect of covering herself. A muslimah who doesn't wear hijab is openly rebellious to Allah, to the Messanger and to the Quran.

Even if the hijab wearing sister has other misdeeds, she will most probably hide it from others and will most probably feel bad and seek repentance from it, which is only human.

And saying the hijab wearing sisters are proud is another heresy and a lame excuse, again. I used to say same, but deep down, I knew I was wrong. The truth is that sisters who don't wear hijab usually feel inferiority complex, envy, anger etc towards their wearing counterparts and then they come to say it's the other way round. I know what I'm saying, I've been there. At times I'd even accuse them that they're too proud to say the tasleem first. How would they when they aren't sure you're a muslim or not with your manner of dressing! How would they if your response is always said under breathe when you're in the midst of nonmuslim friends.

Please let's be mindful of our actions, deeds and even thoughts. And for the hijab wearing sisters too, if there is anywhere we're still found wanting according to the OP, do make adjustments insha Allah.
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by xoxogg(f): 9:09am On Dec 17, 2010
xoxo, :

This by no means justifies the reasoning for not wearing hijab however, as we alone will be accountable for our own actions and not those of others, but it is just to put things into perspective from the ‘other side’ of the story, as[b] perhaps our actions as Muslimahs donning the hijab may be a possible deterrent for another to doubt the concept herself.[/b]
There are countless reasons a girl chooses not to wear hijab. Maybe she thinks she’s not religious enough or worried that she will have to change her entire lifestyle. Most reasons are often personal, but there are times that someone will not put on hijab due to other people’s actions."

Watching our Attitude:

many girls tend to think that because they are wearing hijab, they may be better than the girls who are not covering. This mindset is not only destructive for the hijabi, for obvious reasons, but also for the sister who is not wearing hijab. An arrogant attitude can, and often does, “turn off” other girls from wearing hijab, because they might think that once someone puts on a hijab, they become rude or take on a superior attitude.

Is it Serving its Purpose?

Then, there are the girls who cover, but unfortunately, their actions are not exactly “Islamic.” It’s true that just because you wear a hijab, doesn’t mean that you are perfect or don’t sin. However, wearing a hijab entails more than just covering your hair and a sister who covers has to remember that her actions are more “on display” compared to someone who does not wear a hijab.  Sometimes, girls who don’t wear the hijab are better in their actions compared to the girls who do and, once again, people turn away from wearing hijab because they see a hypocrisy that does not please them.

Both of these scenarios often hinder non-hijabis from getting to know hijabis enough to befriend them, learn from them and become influenced by them. Instead, this attitude creates a divide that restricts both people from getting to know the goodness in the other.

Refraining from Judgement:

It’s easy to point out the weakness in others, especially a physical weakness that is very apparent, like a girl who hasn’t put on the hijab yet, but it’s a lot more difficult to look at our own faults and notice the mistakes in our attitude and actions. So we should try to focus on ourselves and make the changes that we need to become better Muslims. We have to remember that our appearance and our actions should not portray just hijab, , but Islam as a whole, so that we don’t become a means of turning anyone away from this beautiful religion.

abuzola:
SubhanAllah, this thread is undoubtful misleading. hijab means half veil while Niqab means full veil, it is unislamic to say[b] hijab isn't a sign of iman [/b]infact it is hypocrisy, I agree never to judge a book by its cover, women are precious, their body is enticing and charismatic, this is Allah's gift to women. 

Assalam alykm, i think u misunderstand a bit, hijab is an injunction from Allah, and nobody has the right to say otherwise(audhubillah). The article is  a caution to the hijabis and in no way justifies the non-hijabis. We as hijabis should try out best to live as expected of an ideal muslimah, , if u do not uphold your other Islamic values because your have upheld the hijab, it may serve as a deterrent to non-hijabis.  Hijab is no doubt a sign of iman but it is one of many signs of iman. i know the very many challenges one goes through when you put on your hijab and it takes a strong iman to still wake up the next day and put it on.

zayhal: And saying the hijab wearing sisters are proud is another heresy and a lame excuse, again. I used to say same, but deep down, I knew I was wrong. The truth is that sisters who don't wear hijab usually feel inferiority complex, envy, anger etc towards their wearing counterparts and then they come to say it's the other way round. I know what I'm saying, I've been there. At times I'd even accuse them that they're too proud to say the tasleem first. How would they when they aren't sure you're a muslim or not with your manner of dressing! How would they if your response is always said under breathe when you're in the midst of nonmuslim friends.

Asalam alaykm,

The article  is looking on just one side of things. Undoubtedly as you said if you look on the side of non-hijabis, there is also most likely to be a lot of attitude coming from them.  But looking from our side as hijabis, we should also check to see if we are guilty of any of this.

The hijab is one of many actions ordained by Allah and it should be a motivational asset in our life not a stopping point. Our hijab is not an automatic qualification as the ideal muslimah it is rather one of the very many stepping stones we have to pass through. Many a time, we forget that that our hijab should not just be a piece of covering, but it should reflect in all aspects of our lives, it should be the way we talk, our attitude towards people and the islamic values in general.The article is saying that maybe just maybe some of those excuses we instinctively tag as  lame just might sometimes have the tiniest bit of truth in them. We should always stop and check ourselves as our putting on the physical hijab makes us more responsible to uphold the non-physical part of it.

Again[b] "nor let some women laugh at others: It may be that the (latter are better than the (former))[/b]".

Realize that there are hijabis with other bad islamic values and there are non-hijabis with other good islamic values and i do not know which is better than the other for surely  they are both sinners. The ultimate goal however should be to become an ideal muslimah, to uphold as the teachings of Islam in all aspects not just our physical appearance.
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by azharuddin: 10:19am On Dec 17, 2010
As for the opening post i think the issue is not judging non-hijabis, the actual issue is judging any Muslim for that matter.

Frankly speaking i am not liking the term Hijabi or Non-Hijabi. Allah as asked both Males and Females to follow a dress code. We should try to follow them sincerely. Period.

Allah knows best.
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by xoxogg(f): 10:41am On Dec 17, 2010
^^^^ you are right, we should try not to judge and look down on others. And Allah knows best
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by alimat2(f): 1:00pm On Dec 17, 2010
I think the problem here is that once u r in hijab/niqab u hav become the centre of attraction and focus because people around u will always step on ur toes in order to know ur level of tolerance,they forgetting that u are also human like them.

What ever u do will always be the subject of discussion,even in the public they always display the hatred for the hijab u wearing in order to make u react and once u do that they will just fly up and start calling u names like, Eleha na waaa oooooh, and u say u wearing hijab, u are this and that.

People around are the problem of the hijabites cos they dont wanna tolerate them at all even among the Muslim that are not hijabites.

Any mistake made by non hijabite will never go unannounced/criticised if done by any hijabite.
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by alimat2(f): 1:11pm On Dec 17, 2010
A non hijabi  should not lean on the loophole of her sister(hijabis) as an excuse b/4 God. If u think the hijabi next to you is of bad character u can easy put on your own hijab with a different/best  character and prove to people in your neighbourhood that its not the hijab that is the problem of the sister but a  thing of nature/personality that is inborn in all human.

My 50cent.

Hijab is not a mark of good character  but a mark modesty in dressing(u can now ship in decency/moral to tell people u r a perfect muslimah).
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by xoxogg(f): 1:19pm On Dec 17, 2010
Well said, @ the end of the day the one we should fear is Allah and  therefore strive to do as much as we can.

alimat 2:

I think the problem here is that once u r in hijab/niqab u hav become the centre of attraction and focus because people around u will always step on your toes in order to know your level of tolerance,they forgetting that u are also human like them.

What ever u do will always be the subject of discussion,even in the public they always display the hatred for the hijab u wearing in order to make u react and once u do that they will just fly up and start calling u names like, Eleha na waaa oooooh, and u say u wearing hijab, u are this and that.

People around are the problem of the hijabites cos they dont wanna tolerate them at all even among the Muslim that are not hijabites.

Any mistake made by non hijabite will never go unannounced/criticised if done by any hijabite.

May Allah give us the strength to be humble and tolerant in the face of such provocations, Amin.
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by Abuzola1(m): 9:08pm On Dec 17, 2010
@xoxog- now you are talking, but to be sincere the thread is misleading, like mr azhurud said it should be meant or directed to ''do not judge people merely looking at them'' rather than addressing hijab as an entity.
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by xoxogg(f): 8:34pm On Dec 19, 2010
^^ smiley smiley
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by ifyalways(f): 10:09am On Dec 20, 2010
alimat 2:

I think the problem here is that once u r in hijab/niqab u hav become the centre of attraction and focus because people around u will always step on your toes in order to know your level of tolerance,they forgetting that u are also human like them.

True.
Also the hijabite shld try not to look down on non-hijabite or feel that because her sis is a non-hijibite makes her less a muslima.

1 Like

Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by Nobody: 2:45am On Dec 24, 2010
To me personally,not hating here,but i feel,if you dnt wear your khimar and dress in jahlabia(cloak)youre proud and not obeying Allah,its not until you use teru,cotton and some cheap  useless poor material,except thats what you can humbly afford,   making you look dirty, you can sew or buy readymade lovely free gowns of quality material that expalins the conditions Allah  require and not until muslimas look like masqurades allover town,though it should not be glittering,the bottomline is dress according to Allah's requirement and not burden yourself up,and also wearing your khimar and free gown makes it an act of iman cos you are obedient to Allah,ofcourse with righteousness.

And the worst of all is we covering muslima using the khimar on our very young daughters,for crying out loud,they have not even reach puberty yet,talkmore of Adolescence,and Allah dnt prescribe it for them,let our little kids enjoy being kids in thier time and dnt treat them like full breasted or flat breasted muslima that requires khimar and jahlibab/jahlabia/free long gown/cloak

and forcing kids to pray salat,its so absurd,let them do it at the appropriate time,except they feel like to join you in praying,its even better because kids dnt like to be forced to do anything,psycological fact
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by zayhal(f): 12:15pm On Dec 24, 2010
uplawal:

To me personally,not hating here,but i feel,if you dnt wear your khimar and dress in jahlabia(cloak)youre proud and not obeying Allah,its not until you use teru,cotton and some cheap  useless poor material,except thats what you can humbly afford,   making you look dirty, you can sew or buy readymade lovely free gowns of quality material that expalins the conditions Allah  require and not until muslimas look like masqurades allover town,though it should not be glittering,the bottomline is dress according to Allah's requirement and not burden yourself up,and also wearing your khimar and free gown makes it an act of iman cos you are obedient to Allah,ofcourse with righteousness.

And the worst of all is we covering muslima using the khimar on our very young daughters,for crying out loud,they have not even reach puberty yet,talkmore of Adolescence,and Allah dnt prescribe it for them,let our little kids enjoy being kids in thier time and dnt treat them like full breasted or flat breasted muslima that requires khimar and jahlibab/jahlabia/free long gown/cloak

and forcing kids to pray salat,its so absurd,let them do it at the appropriate time,except they feel like to join you in praying,its even better because kids dnt like to be forced to do anything,psycological fact

My sister, so you too have noticed. You can imagine people (sisters) condemning me for using the small cape for my 3yr old daughter.

Infact, the poor girl wasn't allowed into the party hall in her former school when they had their end of session celebration. I was so pissed off! She refused to wear the hijab on that particular day and I let her be, and they denied her her right because of hijab, a 3year old girl! When most of us did not even wear the hijab until we're fully grown.
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 24, 2010
@zayhal,people are taking the deen too far and it has to stop,but why dnt you as a parent confront them,me sha i trust my self on that matter,if i have a baby girl,them orisirisi readymade dress and beautiful accessories she would use,may the good Lord provide for me and my husband insha Allah.

All the excuse they give you is,they want them to be used to it,which is total crap,even we adults that are using it is not that we dnt like to show our beautiful necklace or nice hair but we just cover out of obedience to Allah and may he reward us all as we do.
I know of a family friend,thier three yrs old daughter always on hijab even in the house,and the mum dnt encourage her to remove it saying she wants her to be used to it,its total nonsense,may Allah grant our request as we all made the dua bbefore conception and everyday dua,"lord make our offspring be muslims,obedient to you in all matters and die as muslims,and am sure Allah answers prayers,the best thing for us is to nurture our kids right in the way of Allah,and instill any necessary act or deed n them at the right time,and i believe Allah will answer our prayers and not let our children be the disobedient ones,whoever Allah put takwa in his or her oun child is indeed lucky and the happiest parent so far,the child will never go wrong,and thats all we are praying for.
May Allah make us better muslims.
Re: Dont Be Too Fast To Judge Non-hijabis by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 24, 2010
@zayhal,your last post is not on the thread,why?maybe you should resend it,cheers

(1) (Reply)

Lunar Eclipse: How Is Lunar Eclipse Prayer (solat Kusoof) Performed? / The Speech "La Ilaaha Illallaah" / Wasting Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.