Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,099 members, 7,807,297 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements (6701 Views)

Governorship Polls: Jonathan Warns Against Intimidation Of Nigerians / Arewa Youths Caution Buhari Over Inciting Statements / President Jonathan, IBB & Atiku Begs Obasanjo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by babytejiri(m): 12:20pm On Dec 17, 2010
President Goodluck Jonathan has sounded a note of warning to those making inciting statements, challenging Nigeria’s sovereignty as a nation and warned his government would no longer “take that kind of rubbish lightly.” [More, ] The president, who was speaking at the decoration ceremony of some newly promoted Nigerian Navy and Air Force Admirals and Air Vice Marshals yesterday in Abuja, said those who made such incendiary utterances were always the first to take their families abroad to stay until other people’s children and families suffered and died as a result of their mischief.

He was apparently reacting to perceived inciting statements by former president Ibrahim Babangida (IBB) and former vice president and presidential aspirant on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar.

Atiku had, while speaking at the National Stakeholders Conference organised by the Adamu Ciroma-led Northern Political Leaders Forum (NPLF) in Abuja, on Wednesday, warned the Federal Government on the likelihood of violence in next year’s election, saying, “those who make peaceful change impossible, make violent change inevitable.”

President Jonathan warned: “We will no longer allow that kind of culture. I will not allow anybody to take the country for a ride. And sometimes, I frown at some people making statements, especially those of us who are politicians making statements, challenging the sovereignty of this nation.

“Nigerian Government will no longer take that kind of rubbish lightly. Because when we have crisis, we lose army officers, police officers and some of us who are the cause of the trouble are the people flying to the United States to go and stay until other peoples’ children will die, other people’s wives will suffer then they come back to be our leaders. We will no longer allow that kind of culture. I will not allow anybody to take the country for a ride.”

President Jonathan, while decrying inciting utterances by some politicians in recent times, said Nigeria was bigger than any individual. He called on those guilty of such inciting statements to focus on how to move the country forward and not toe the path of destruction. The president commended the role played by the Nigerian military to keep the nation one, saying but for the role played by the Nigerian Armed Forces in international peace support operations all over the world, Nigeria would not have been recognised as the giant of Africa.

He said the country, more than ever before, was ready to take her rightful place in the African sub-region, adding that the whole world was looking up to Nigeria to settle the political situation in Cote d’ Ivoire. “We have to thank the military for keeping the country together. You have shown leadership in the whole of Africa.

As for what is happening in Cote d’ Ivoire everyday, presidents all over the world are calling on me because they feel it is only Nigeria that can solve the problem of that country. That tells you how others rate Nigeria and we have no reason to derail. “I have to commend the military for doing that. We have that standing role in the society because of the role the military is playing.”

The president, who personally decorated the first female rear admiral in the Nigerian Navy with her new rank, said his administration was conferring with the leadership of the Nigerian Armed Forces to commence the admission of women into the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) to be trained as regular combatant officers.
http://www.nigeriacurrentnews.com/goodluck-jonathan-warns-ibb-atiku/
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by holydante(m): 1:32pm On Dec 17, 2010
GEJ barking at last. he has been perceived as a weakling and the reason every Tom Dike and Athieveku will take a swipe at him and go scot free. Perhaps the SSS should be sent after them for ''making inciteful comment capable of overheating the body polity'' (an overused cliché during OBJ's era) undecided
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by lajjy(m): 1:39pm On Dec 17, 2010
yES YES YES,

My President is hitting the bull's eye-----------No single individual is greater than Nigeria,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GEJ DON DEY CHOP LIVER SMALL SMALL OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 17, 2010
Atiku lacks the ability to control his utterances, from when he fell out with obj till date. Using inciteful statements in an arrogant manner on his campaign bill boards. He should better go and find out what leadership qualities connotes.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by HRT2010: 1:49pm On Dec 17, 2010
To some extent, I quite agree with Holydante. GEJ is not even being perceived as a toothless bulldog by detractors; they see him as toothless lamb! Whether they are correct or not, your guess is better than mine.
A President needs to draw a line between his capacity as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of a country (and by inference, the Chief Security Officer of the nation) and his quest for re-election as an aspirant. Should we in the spirit of politics fairplay allow candidates to disrespect the office of the president? Should we allow people to make incite-ful statements that can heat up and boil up the polity?
GEJ should remember that a lot of his supporters are behind him because they believe he does and will still do a good job as their president. Part of that good job includes maintaining the sanity in the polity and upholding the sovereign unity of the nation.
Please GEJ, rise up to your responsibility as our president for now; that will give you a better chance of re-election next year.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Koikoi(m): 1:50pm On Dec 17, 2010
let him match his words with action before you start praising him. the dude's been sleeping for too long.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by REALTRUTH1: 1:51pm On Dec 17, 2010
GEJ,,,this is my very first time am commenting on GEJ since his advent into Nigeria's political terrain. GEJ is not only thought to be weakling,,,,am confirming that fact too!!! He is a weak leader,,,and that has clearly shown that he lacks the wherewithal to preside over Nigeria.
Just yesterday,, he was manipulated and cajoled to accept the primaries of the Governors of PDP to come b4 the PRESIDENCY primaries with a promise that they(Governors) would publicly endorse him. Can any serious political leader succumb to a thing like that? NEVER!!!!
With the above scenerio,,,,GEJ has lost out,,,,Saraki and the other Governors have just played him a fast one that a primary school pupil in Ajegunle can figure out.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by fashizie(m): 1:53pm On Dec 17, 2010
i dnt blame deez so called nothern cabal,Makin stupid terrorist statements dat wont cum out of even an SUG presidents mouth, dey shuld count demselves lucky dey are not dealin wit a president wit balls, dat thief called IBB tinks he allergic to an arrest, i see some so-called untouchables in dis country in jail latest 2016, note it down
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by titsqueez(m): 1:54pm On Dec 17, 2010
wait to, i must be missing something. Do people really believe that the upcoming election will be decided by the elctorates? haha i laugh in Obasanjo language
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Blazay(m): 2:01pm On Dec 17, 2010
Please, Jonathan should be quiet. . . and prepare his MEND soldiers for war. We know he has been secretly grooming a private army.
Jonathan should be investigated too.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jun/28/509.html

Good Evening! Wednesday June 30, 2010

Why we invited US experts to train ex-Niger Delta militants –FG
By UCHE USIM

Monday, June 28, 2010
Special Adviser to the President on Niger Delta Affairs, Timi Alaibe has said the government opted to use experts from the United States Centre for Non-Violence and Peace Studies to help rehabilitate the once restive Niger Delta youths because America has one of the best hands in such field.

MEND

Alaibe listed the benefits of the post-amnesty programmes to include renewed peace in the region, a better perception and improved investment climate in the Niger Delta region and erasing the negative image of the country, which portrays it as haven of kidnapping and killing of expatriates.
Speaking at the weekend in Lagos, Alaibe stated that the US experts numbering about 24 would help train about 20,000 militants in Obubra, Cross River State starting from today in line with the post-amnesty programme of the government.
“We are going to take the ex- militants in batches of 2,000, starting from today. The programme, non-violence transformation, will last for two weeks. Within the period, we will document them properly, there will be biometric wellness test, guidance and counselling, peace and conflict resolution classes and reintegration classification. This is not the end, rather the beginning of a long journey.
If you are an ex- combatant, used to drugs, used to firing guns, and all of a sudden, you find yourself in a class of no-violence, it will take a whole lot of reorganization,” he stated. The ex-combatants, he said, would be reintroduced into the society once their training was completed to help deliver socio-economic dividends to the region and the nation as a whole.
Alaibe also said that peace in the region would guarantee increase in the level of crude oil production from the current 2.3 million barrels daily to about four or five million barrels per day. This, he explained, would have direct positive impact in foreign exchange earnings for the country as well as fast track developments in the area.
“The first phase is to clean up for the purpose of reintegrating the hitherto violent psyche, behaviour, activities, and is now converted to civil behaviour. The programme has been restructured, the strategy has changed, priorities have been reordered; this is why we have the team form the United States of America.
“Those are key in this programme. It has ensured that today, there is tranquility in the Niger Delta region; can you still hear of breaking of pipelines, blowing up of oil installations. Have you forgotten that the oil production of 700,000 barrels per day, when we concluded the amnesty granting, it came up to 2.3 millions per day.
“This country is looking forward to four to five million barrels per, after all the training processes for ex- militants are concluded. This is just the software aspect of the post-amnesty programme, meaning the individuals who form the core of the system.
The hardware aspect or component of the post-amnesty programme is that concomitant projects and programmes will be happening in the region; as people say, the machines will continue to work. The grandiose project that the Federal Government is implementing will start happening.”
Also speaking, the United States-based Centre for Non-Violence and Peace Studies Consultant, Bernand Lafayette, said: “This is not simply taking people through some exercises. What we are talking about is keying into non-violence. “This exercise is different, because we are talking about transformation not sharing a little more information, and the difference is that we have to first understand why people resort to violence. Studies have shown that the transformation of ex-militants has accelerated the socio- economic fortunes of other countries of the world.”
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by ochukoccna: 2:01pm On Dec 17, 2010
tit_squeez:

wait to, i must be missing something. Do people really believe that the upcoming election will be decided by the elctorates? haha i laugh in Obasanjo language
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by fashizie(m): 2:04pm On Dec 17, 2010
@REAL TRUTH:aint a GEJ fan,but its obvious he is a beta evil, people percieve him as weak cos he came up wit virtually no antecedents to be combatin old powerful n vicious crooks wit a whole lot of clout, not 4getin its  he is stil in the same party wit deez fellaz, its not as eazy as we tink frm the outside, dey ve party rules
if GEJ was frm ACN,probably atiku wuld ve been arrested for doz remarks
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by fashizie(m): 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2010
@REAL TRUTH:aint a GEJ fan,but its obvious he is a beta evil, people percieve him as weak cos he came up wit virtually no antecedents to be combatin old powerful n vicious crooks wit a whole lot of clout, not 4getin its  he is stil in the same party wit deez fellaz, its not as eazy as we tink frm the outside, dey ve party rules
if GEJ was frm ACN,probably atiku wuld ve been arrested for doz remarks
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Agbalanze(m): 2:07pm On Dec 17, 2010
That's my president talking,
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:21pm On Dec 17, 2010
Nigeria is indeed a stranger than a basket case embarassed

GEJ forgets he often makes unguarded statements (as a matter of fact) and he does not see them as treasonable. the same GEJ that had to be tutored by Sanders on what to do with Maurice Iwu.

How often we forget so easily sad
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Nobody: 2:34pm On Dec 17, 2010
i dont have an issue with a leader barking,my problem is you ensure the barking is over the right issue.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by 1025: 2:36pm On Dec 17, 2010
whatsoever that made obasanjo to give power to the northerners via yar adua, shld also make him allow them to complete their 8 yrs and give room for other tribes to do their own 8 yrs.
let us all call a spade, a spade.
i am an igbo and i am looking forward to 2015 so this time is for the northerners.
obasanjo is a confusionist and has gone mad since nigerians denied him of 3rd term.
shame to obasanjo and jonathan shld treat the problems of nigeria and forget divertion of our attentions.
why are u asking for 2011 when u have nothing to show for the 8 months u v been there?
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Ericology(m): 2:43pm On Dec 17, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

Nigeria is indeed a stranger than a basket case  embarassed

GEJ forgets he often makes unguarded statements (as a matter of fact) and he does not see them as treasonable. the same GEJ that had to be tutored by Sanders on what to do with Maurice Iwu.

How often we forget so easily  sad

Remove the ethnic sun shade from your eyes, u are not seeing properly, Making blunders or unguarded statements that do not endanger the lives of the Nigerian citizens are not same as making treasonable comments, Its like comparing Obama blunder about having 57 states and Glenn Beck calling 10% of Muslims terrorists,
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Beaf: 2:58pm On Dec 17, 2010
I think Atiku should test the waters by making another foolish treasonable declaration. . . You know, being a "strong man" and all.
. . . Then gboa!!!! Atiku in a cage like a wet chicken! grin
--[s]Some cages are called Kirikiri, others Gashua, Ita Oko etc.[/s]-- grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by sesco2006(m): 3:11pm On Dec 17, 2010
The fearful Lamb is lately realizing the power at his disposal but the rough heads will never take him seriously without soma action.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 17, 2010
1025:

whatsoever that made obasanjo to give power to the northerners via yar adua, shld also make him allow them to complete their 8 yrs and give room for other tribes to do their own 8 yrs.
i am an igbo and i am looking forward to 2015 so this time is for the northerners.
obasanjo is a confusionist and has gone mad since nigerians denied him of 3rd term.
shame to obasanjo and jonathan shld treat the problems of nigeria and forget divertion of our attentions.
why are u asking for 2011 when u have nothing to show for the 8 months u v been there?
myopic talk. no true Nigerian will implement zoning because even in some states,citizens of this country are been treated as strangers and dwellers.what other country of the world pratice that dump system of electing thier leader
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Fidelo726: 3:32pm On Dec 17, 2010
[quote][/quote]

what do u expect him to do in 8 months.
meanwhile your 2015 is a mirage cos every Nigeria must contest for it. Thus let your popularity and manifesto win for you.
there wll never be an automatic ticket for any region.
zoning is only myopic and for the unpopular contestants who needed things to be streamlined to their favour.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by olofofo(m): 3:40pm On Dec 17, 2010
@all

what has GEJ achieved, besides thinking his "GOODLUCK" will hand him the presidency. he should not be afraid to name names. so, so so and so are making inciting comments and should desist from it or be charged with treason. GBAM. I personally am not a fan of the GEJ. i think ATIKU has lots of balls and is a very confident Policitician. let everyone play their card and see who wins the PDP primary.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by lekanbar(m): 3:45pm On Dec 17, 2010
GEJ just has to learn to speak on his feet undecided

http://lekanbaruwa.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by HARDDON: 3:46pm On Dec 17, 2010
oh my God! Yea, GEJ, u must grow some balls! that office u occupy holds all the balls anyone can get in Nigeria! wake up and use! now u have issued a warning, any1 found wanting after that should be chaged with felony and treson! and made public show for others to learn from!

Just Imagine! almagiri Atiku tryina rock the boat we are all sailing in and quoting J F Kennedy without proper reference!!! 'THOSE WHO MAKE PEACEFUL CHANGE IMPOSSIBLE, MAKE VIOLENT CHANGE INEVITABLE!'

and as Mr GEJ has rightly said, he wud be the first to take his family out if he pecieves trouble,

mind you, my honorable president, that Atiku is on a wanted list in the US for money lauderin! he has moved base to saudi arabia!

wish all them bad eggs wud just gather and a time bomb used to excomunicate them all!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Meristem: 3:47pm On Dec 17, 2010
Quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius (he whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad). Atiku and IBB have gone bananas. They think they speak for anybody, but they dont. Nigerians are wiser now after all we went through in the hands of these vultures. They try to scavenge the carcass of what is left of their 9ja and when they are cast away, they resort to enthnic, religious and sectional blackmail. Shame on Atiku. Now he's fighting like a loser. He has lost face with 9jarians. No wonder Baba dey laugh grin. Now me too, I dey laugh grin grin cheesy
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by nigerbabe: 4:05pm On Dec 17, 2010
This can only happen in a lawless society as dis,
why on earth would Atiku make such utterance?

And Jonathan sef, should reduce this his talking to action.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Nobody: 4:10pm On Dec 17, 2010
All from one party that has failed Nigerians and all for just one lucrative post
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by Obiagu1(m): 4:11pm On Dec 17, 2010
GEJ should get out. He should respect the zoning that brought him to power. Talk of greed and short sightedness of the highest order.
If he is desperate to run, he should leave PDP because that party has ROTATION enshrined in its constitution.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by ogazi007(m): 4:12pm On Dec 17, 2010
The most honourable thing our president should do is to organize free  and fair election and hand over power to the north as the PDP constitution demanded.

GEJ can not be trusted,If he cant respect PDP constitution,he will not respect the Nigerian constitution.it will be a bigger disgrace by the time the PDp Governors do

him ABRAKA DABRA,(the more you see the less you understand)in the PDP primaries and vote for a northerner.he would have end up selling Nigeria to the north as

they will be no such thing as zoning,winner takes it all as hausa/fulani will be rotating presidency among themselves.some selfish individuals like OBJ and the rest are

just pushing him to the war front and they will disappear when the heat is on.OBj could not do what they are asking of him,he should be wise and do the right thing.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by spearman(m): 4:14pm On Dec 17, 2010
'Rear Admiral' Atiku and 'Rear Admiral' Babangida are the two most corrupt Nigerian politicians that help to ruin this nation financially and morally.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ibb, Atiku Over Inciting Statements by reubeno(m): 4:15pm On Dec 17, 2010
Atiku's statement is just a stragey to scare GEJ, however they have been more inciting statement from GEJ's camp as well, i remeber some couple of months back, The minister of FCT said Nigerian will face 'dire consequences' if president GEJ is forced out the presidential race. so all ds chop  I chop politicians no serious at all.  In 2007 OBJ said d elections is a 'DO OR DIE AFFAIRS'. anyway NIGERIA na BANANA REPUBLIC. God pass them sha

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

National Institute For Cultural Orientation (NICO) In SHAMBLES / Why Biafrans 'support Donald Trump: BBC Report / APC, PDP Boycott Cp’s Meeting With Party Heads In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.