Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,966 members, 7,799,279 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:24 PM

The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated (8631 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Go Down)

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 1:42am On Nov 11, 2013
Kiss_Ikebe:
You seem to be keeping grudges against white people, but don't exaggerate your claim

If you truly believe it is a grudge against white people then you are mistaken. It is a call for Africans to stop showing inferiority complex. It is for Africans who have high self-esteem and who won't give up their culture for European culture. This is for Africans to stop being followers and to become leaders. Africans have a right to be proud of their cultures. We are not European, no matter how hard SOME of us wish we were. Our cultures are great

3 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 2:27am On Nov 11, 2013
Kiss_Ikebe:
You seem to be keeping grudges against white people, but don't exaggerate your claim
[sarcasm]
I can't imagine why Africans would hold grudges against Europeans. They've been so good to us and continue to hold us in the highest esteem, especially when aided by lackeys like you.
[/sarcasm]

2 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 1:40pm On Nov 16, 2013
MamiWata:
[sarcasm]
I can't imagine why Africans would hold grudges against Europeans. They've been so good to us and continue to hold us in the highest esteem, especially when aided by lackeys like you.
[/sarcasm]
So, how is this antagonistic attitude any better?
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 3:18pm On Nov 16, 2013
Vicjustice: So, how is this antagonistic attitude any better?

You don't seem to be able to wrap your head around the fact that Africans who love ourselves don't also necessarily hate non-Africans. Pride doesn't translate to antagonization of others. However it does translate to a demand for respect. We also demand that people acknowledge Europeans' actions and the results of those actions. You see the results in the mirror every day: a self-hate that refuses to recognize itself. You keep chasing European women so that in 3 or 4 generations none of your offspring will look anything like you. They certainly won't act like your ancestors. The prospect fills you with hope! Don't try to call it antagonizing that I have made the opposite choice.

3 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 7:09pm On Nov 16, 2013
MamiWata:

You don't seem to be able to wrap your head around the fact that Africans who love ourselves don't also necessarily hate non-Africans. Pride doesn't translate to antagonization of others. However it does translate to a demand for respect. We also demand that people acknowledge Europeans' actions and the results of those actions. You see the results in the mirror every day: a self-hate that refuses to recognize itself. You keep chasing European women so that in 3 or 4 generations none of your offspring will look anything like you. They certainly won't act like your ancestors. The prospect fills you with hope! Don't try to call it antagonizing that I have made the opposite choice.

Quoted for truth. I don't understand why some Africans think it is better when they try to act European. If that is what they want to do, then that's fine. However, they shouldn't try to impose these views on people who are truly proud of their culture, their heritage, their blood, their language, their traditions, etc.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 7:51pm On Nov 16, 2013
Fulaman198: Quoted for truth. I don't understand why some Africans think it is better when they try to act European.
I'm honestly taken aback when I found one who isn't. Let me qualify...I'm surprised to meet "educated" Africans who don't idealize European culture and rank it above their own. Our education still has it base in the colonial curricula that proceeded it...especially in Francophone West Africa. In school my father learned more about Russia than they did about Benin. Omission of our cultures in our own schools implicitly transmits the idea that our cultures are irrelevant.

If that is what they want to do, then that's fine. However, they shouldn't try to impose these views on people who are truly proud of their culture, their heritage, their blood, their language, their traditions, etc.

The idea that Africans should be proud of our cultures is something that never crossed these lost causes minds. They can't even fathom the idea that everyone wouldn't want to be European as they do. If my children turn out like them I don't know what I'll do.

3 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 8:32pm On Nov 16, 2013
MamiWata:
I'm honestly taken aback when I found one who isn't. Let me qualify...I'm surprised to meet "educated" Africans who don't idealize European culture and rank it above their own. Our education still has it base in the colonial curricula that proceeded it...especially in Francophone West Africa. In school my father learned more about Russia than they did about Benin. Omission of our cultures in our own schools implicitly transmits the idea that our cultures are irrelevant.

The idea that Africans should be proud of our cultures is something that never crossed these lost causes minds. They can't even fathom the idea that everyone wouldn't want to be European as they do. If my children turn out like them I don't know what I'll do.

I really like and respect the way you think. Like you mentioned all throughout West Africa (Senegal, Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Niger, Mali, etc. etc.) They learn more about their colonial ex-masters and other European cultures than they do about their own. I'm just grateful that there are educated Africans like yourself that still possess the mindset to want to embrace their culture.

It is important that we continue bracing our culture(s) without them how can we even call ourselves African? What really infuriates me is when I hear Africans trying so hard to speak with a British or French accent. It is embarrassing. They don't realise that Europeans/Oyibo/Whites won't accept them for pretending to be something they are not. It is better to be yourself than something else.

3 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 11:10pm On Nov 16, 2013
Fulaman198: I really like and respect the way you think.
Likewise brother. There are a couple of us on here who have self-respect.
Fulaman198: What really infuriates me is when I hear Africans trying so hard to speak with a British or French accent. It is embarrassing. They don't realise that Europeans/Oyibo/Whites won't accept them for pretending to be something they are not. It is better to be yourself than something else.
So true. They will never be respected by the people they admire. No one respects a person who lacks self-respect. No one accepts a person who fails to accept himself.But perhaps being treated like a faithful dog is good enough for them.

2 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by IrishBebey: 3:01am On Nov 21, 2013
MamiWata: Likewise brother. There are a couple of us on here who have self-respect.

So true. They will never be respected by the people they admire. No one respects a person who lacks self-respect. No one accepts a person who fails to accept himself.But perhaps being treated like a faithful dog is good enough for them.
Respect is not by demand, you earn it
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 3:09am On Nov 21, 2013
IrishBebey:
Respect is not by demand, you earn it

This is basic knowledge. Do you think you're here to educate me? I have nothing to learn from you.

3 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by KissIkebe(f): 10:12am On Nov 24, 2013
MamiWata:

This is basic knowledge. Do you think you're here to educate me? I have nothing to learn from you.
"Basic knowledge" and yet not observed. Come on!
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 2:58pm On Nov 24, 2013
Kiss_Ikebe:
"Basic knowledge" and yet not observed. Come on!

How has it not been observed? I assume you are speaking of me in particular? And please do note that it should be your Irish friend behaving in a way to seek our respect as she is the visitor on this board. I am in no way seeking her respect.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 10:52pm On Nov 24, 2013
MamiWata:

How has it not been observed? I assume you are speaking of me in particular? And please do note that it should be your Irish friend behaving in a way to seek our respect as she is the visitor on this board. I am in no way seeking her respect.
Would i be wrong if i considered you a core racist?
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 1:24am On Nov 25, 2013
Vicjustice:

Repost to address your short term memory and/or lack of reading ability:

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 1:51am On Nov 25, 2013
Vicjustice:

Maintaining ones culture does not make one racist.

However. Inheriting someone's culture over your own shows a sign inferiority complex. Should we assume that about you and kissikebe?

I think you should look up the terminology racism. It is when people use their power to put down another group i of people.

An example: police officer pulls over a group of black people walking down the street doing nothing, same police officer ignores a group of white people doing the same thing.

I recommend to be careful in the usage of your terminology.

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by IrishBebey: 5:31pm On Nov 25, 2013
MamiWata:

Easy, man.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by IrishBebey: 5:33pm On Nov 25, 2013
MamiWata:

You don't seem to be able to wrap your head....
Please, keep it civil. Thank you
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 5:40pm On Nov 27, 2013
IrishBebey:
Please, keep it civil. Thank you
Exactly. I wish everyone does this
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 12:04am On Nov 29, 2013
Peace at last
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by KissIkebe(f): 12:05am On Dec 03, 2013
Vicjustice: Peace at last
We don't just want Peace At Last, we want a Lasting Peace. How about that?
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:11am On Dec 03, 2013
^which can only be achieved when one side admits their mistake and runs off.

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by KissIkebe(f): 2:20am On Dec 03, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
^which can only be achieved when one side admits their mistake and runs off.
So, shouldn't you now be expected to admit your mistake?
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 1:33pm On Dec 03, 2013
Kiss_Ikebe:
So, shouldn't you now be expected to admit your mistake?
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed cool cool cool
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 2:13am On Dec 04, 2013
There is no right or wrong in this argument. Some Africans want to be Westernised or become wannabe Europeans, no problem in regards to that.

There are Africans who are proud of whom they are and feel no need to imitate any one else. I personally applaud those who are proud of their culture and not pretending to be something they are not.

The day I start speaking better English than my mother tongue will be the day I have no right to call myself an African.

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 3:46am On Dec 04, 2013
Fulaman198: There is no right or wrong in this argument. Some Africans want to be Westernised or become wannabe Europeans, no problem in regards to that.

No problem at all. I appreciate it when skinfolks clearly identify themselves so the rest of us know exactly who they are. Skinfolks are the ones who look us but do not think like Africans. Those who think like us are our kinfolk.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by wishlolia(f): 12:48pm On Dec 04, 2013
Fulaman198: There is no right or wrong in this argument. Some Africans want to be Westernised or become wannabe Europeans, no problem in regards to that.

There are Africans who are proud of whom they are and feel no need to imitate any one else. I personally applaud those who are proud of their culture and not pretending to be something they are not.

The day I start speaking better English than my mother tongue will be the day I have no right to call myself an African.
My friend, you speak better english than your mother tongue, every educated Nigerian speaks better english than his own language. Get that right
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 5:04pm On Dec 05, 2013
wishlolia:
My friend, you speak better english than your mother tongue, every educated Nigerian speaks better english than his own language. Get that right
Indeed, i will bet my money that he can't speak his language without adding English words, who can translate the word INTERNET in his own language?
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 11:34pm On Dec 05, 2013
wishlolia:

I do not
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 11:36pm On Dec 05, 2013
Vicjustice: Indeed, i will bet my money that he can't speak his language without adding English words, who can translate the word INTERNET in his own language?

I am a Northerner I don't add English to my language. I come from the Fulani ethnic group. We are proud of our tradition. English is my third language
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 10:30pm On Dec 06, 2013
Fulaman198:

I am a Northerner I don't add English to my language. I come from the Fulani ethnic group. We are proud of our tradition. English is my third language
So, what do you call INTERNET in Fulani language? What is a Fulani word for VISA? How about TECHNOLOGY, Car-PLUG, LASER, HYDROGEN, NUCLEAR, ATOMIC, ENDOSCOPE etc?

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 10:45pm On Dec 06, 2013
Vicjustice: So, what do you call INTERNET in Fulani language? What is a Fulani word for VISA? How about TECHNOLOGY, Car-PLUG, LASER, HYDROGEN, NUCLEAR, ATOMIC, ENDOSCOPE etc?

There are certain words that can not be added to Fulani language and based on what Fulani speaking country you are from, you would use the regional word utilised.

Thanks to Ibrahim Malick Sarr from Senegal, there are beginning to be technological words for the Fulfulde/Pular language. By nature, we are a pastoralist nomadic group of people. We do not have certain words for things until we come in contact with a certain group of people. E.g. We have borrowed some words from the Hausa and the Hausa have borrowed some words from us. That is how language workds. Even some of the words you mentioned are not natural English words but adopted words from other languages.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

My Observations. The Igbos And Yorubas Tribe. Funny But True. / Why Do Nigerians Have A Problem With Self Disclosure? Blame it on the witches / When Last Did You Visit Your Hometown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.