Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,944 members, 7,806,732 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated (8637 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Go Down)

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 3:42am On Dec 07, 2013
Fulaman198:

There are certain words that can not be added to Fulani language and based on what Fulani speaking country you are from, you would use the regional word utilised.

Thanks to Ibrahim Malick Sarr from Senegal, there are beginning to be technological words for the Fulfulde/Pular language. By nature, we are a pastoralist nomadic group of people. We do not have certain words for things until we come in contact with a certain group of people. E.g. We have borrowed some words from the Hausa and the Hausa have borrowed some words from us. That is how language workds. Even some of the words you mentioned are not natural English words but adopted words from other languages.

Absolutely...~66% of English comes from other languages.

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 4:14am On Dec 07, 2013
MamiWata:

Absolutely...~66% of English comes from other languages.

Exactly English has borrowed more words than any other language.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 1:15am On Dec 08, 2013
Fulaman198:

There are certain words that can not be added to Fulani language and based on what Fulani speaking country you are from, you would use the regional word utilised.

Thanks to Ibrahim Malick Sarr from Senegal, there are beginning to be technological words for the Fulfulde/Pular language. By nature, we are a pastoralist nomadic group of people. We do not have certain words for things until we come in contact with a certain group of people. E.g. We have borrowed some words from the Hausa and the Hausa have borrowed some words from us. That is how language workds. Even some of the words you mentioned are not natural English words but adopted words from other languages.
Well, I know all these things that you are talking about and i know that even some words in English language are borrowed words this is the reason i disagreed with you when you claimed that (as a Northern Fulani man) you do not add any English words to your language.
The Fulani language may be rich in local level, but it is not possible to use the language in scientific or technological terms without adding English words or other foreign language: you know this too well except you want to deny the obvious.
My friend, your English is so excellent that i don't see it technically logical to think that you could know the Fulani language any better.

3 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 1:42am On Dec 08, 2013
Vicjustice:
Well, I know all these things that you are talking about and i know that even some words in English language are borrowed words this is the reason i disagreed with you when you claimed that (as a Northern Fulani man) you do not add any English words to your language.
The Fulani language may be rich in local level, but it is not possible to use the language in scientific or technological terms without adding English words or other foreign language: you know this too well except you want to deny the obvious.
My friend, your English is so excellent that i don't see it technically logical to think that you could know the Fulani language any better.

Most scientific words are not English, let us just make that clear. Most words that the English language uses are borrowed from other languages.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by wishlolia(f): 9:17am On Dec 10, 2013
Fulaman198:

Most scientific words are not English, let us just make that clear. Most words that the English language uses are borrowed from other languages.
I don't think anyone is disputing this, what vicjustice was saying is indeed right in my opinion... no one who knows English as much as you know can say that he speaks his language any better. In my opinion

2 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 4:14pm On Dec 10, 2013
wishlolia: I don't think anyone is disputing this, what vicjustice was saying is indeed right in my opinion... no one who knows English as much as you know can say that he speaks his language any better. In my opinion

There are many people who speak English fluently but speak their own language better. Just because it seems as if someone has a perfect understanding of English does not mean they speak it better than their own native language. Only city Nigerians and city Africans are this way. They have an utter lack of respect for tradition and are under the false assumption that they are inferior. They lack self-pride.

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 7:55pm On Dec 10, 2013
Fulaman198:

There are many people who speak English fluently but speak their own language better. Just because it seems as if someone has a perfect understanding of English does not mean they speak it better than their own native language. Only city Nigerians and city Africans are this way. They have an utter lack of respect for tradition and are under the false assumption that they are inferior. They lack self-pride.
Very well, i like to give you the benefit of doubt-that you speak your Fulani language better, despite your efficiency in the English language, and i am also aware of the superfluous nature of the Hausa language (as compared to the other Nigerian languages).
I think we should have been talking about two different things; i am probably to blame for misunderstanding your statement when you said: "The day I start speaking better English than my mother tongue will be the day I have no right to call myself an African". I indeed took the context as a claim that your language is richer than the English language (even with the borrowed scientific terms).
Now, it is obvious that you meant your efficiency in your native tongue is to a maximum degree in such a way that you don't speak the English language any better.

3 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 11:36pm On Dec 10, 2013
Vicjustice:
Very well, i like to give you the benefit of doubt-that you speak your Fulani language better, despite your efficiency in the English language, and i am also aware of the superfluous nature of the Hausa language (as compared to the other Nigerian languages).
I think we should have been talking about two different things; i am probably to blame for misunderstanding your statement when you said: "The day I start speaking better English than my mother tongue will be the day I have no right to call myself an African". I indeed took the context as a claim that your language is richer than the English language (even with the borrowed scientific terms).
Now, it is obvious that you meant your efficiency in your native tongue is to a maximum degree in such a way that you don't speak the English language any better.

Hausa and Fulani are two very different languages. I am able to comprehend and communicate in the Hausa language, though to a lesser extent than my Fulfulde native tongue. I don't see the point of behaving like a European when it isn't who I am. I would be shaming my ancestors.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 5:10pm On Dec 11, 2013
Fulaman198:

Hausa and Fulani are two very different languages. I am able to comprehend and communicate in the Hausa language, though to a lesser extent than my Fulfulde native tongue. I don't see the point of behaving like a European when it isn't who I am. I would be shaming my ancestors.
I never suggested that Hausa and Fulani languages are same or even similar languages, I too speak a bit of Hausa.
You seem to be a very conservative person, even though I'm of the opinion that you're probably a Muslim, so, if I'm right, you should remember that the religion is foreign and many things that are recited in it are in Arabic: It is not only the things that are western or English that you have a problem with, is it?

3 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 8:49pm On Dec 11, 2013
Vicjustice:
I never suggested that Hausa and Fulani languages are same or even similar languages, I too speak a bit of Hausa.
You seem to be a very conservative person, even though I'm of the opinion that you're probably a Muslim, so, if I'm right, you should remember that the religion is foreign and many things that are recited in it are in Arabic: It is not only the things that are western or English that you have a problem with, is it?

Although most Fulani are Muslim, not all are. Some are Christian and some follow the traditional ways.

Religion does not completely play a part in cultural practises...An Ethiopian Christian does not have the same culture as a European Christian. A Fulani Muslim does not have the same culture as an Arab Muslim.

Culture and Religion are not synonymous. We have far different cultures from many predominately Muslim people.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by KissIkebe(f): 2:19pm On Dec 12, 2013
Vicjustice:
in my opinion also, i think fulaman would not have had any issue if it is about arabic language, he might have considered arabic for religious reasons. this is my opinion though

3 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 5:43pm On Dec 12, 2013
Kiss_Ikebe: in my opinion also, i think fulaman would not have had any issue if it is about arabic language, he might have considered arabic for religious reasons. this is my opinion though

You are brainwashed, no point trying to help the lost find their way. If you want to be a wannabe European that's your business. What do Arabs have to do with this discussion?
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 11:50pm On Dec 12, 2013
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 11:42am On Dec 13, 2013
Fulaman198: Vicjustice, this is for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZozjisQeJm4&
I just saw that the video clip that your presented is actually a testimony that Wishlolia was right about you: So, why did you take offence at her comment then?
Now, in the clip, between 3:20 and 4:30 minutes, the man clearly stated the desires of his people (which indeed is the desire of jihadists): to marry multiple wives, "kill the white (non-muslim) man, take his wife, convert his children (to islam)".
And you presented this nonsense for me to watch?
Very well, if this is the kind of video clip that you fancy, then that tells a lot about your mentality, and i must admit my disappointment at you even though i am not really surprised.

3 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 4:09pm On Dec 13, 2013
Vicjustice:
I just saw that the video clip that your presented is actually a testimony that Wishlolia was right about you: So, why did you take offence at her comment then?
Now, in the clip, between 3:20 and 4:30 minutes, the man clearly stated the desires of his people (which indeed is the desire of jihadists): to marry multiple wives, "kill the white (non-muslim) man, take his wife, convert his children (to islam)".
Very well, if this is the kind of video clip that you fancy, then that tells a lot about your mentality, and i must admit my disappointment at you even though i am not really surprised.

It's funny how you turn something that is meant to be a joke into something about racism. Shame indeed.

I also find it quite hypocritical that you never mentioned him at the beginning call Africans barbaric or the fact that he was making fun of Africans the entire time.

I now know what kind of man you are. You are one if those black folks that would sell out black people to please white people especially since this video was more offensive to Africans than Whites. One horrible joke was made about whites, yet almost the entirety of the video was negative stereotypes of Africans.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 5:04pm On Dec 13, 2013
Fulaman198:
I now know what kind of man you are. You are one if those black folks that would sell out black people to please white people especially since this video was more offensive to Africans than Whites. One horrible joke was made about whites, yet almost the entirety of the video was negative stereotypes of Africans.

Your analysis is spot on. He's not worth your time. Let him continue with his goal to marry white, have white children, and integrated fully as a faithful lapdog without you focusing any of your efforts on him.

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 5:06pm On Dec 13, 2013
MamiWata:

Your analysis is spot on. He's not worth your time. Let him continue with his goal to marry white, have white children, and integrated fully as a faithful lapdog without you focusing any of your efforts on him.

I honestly don't care if he marries a white woman, nothing wrong with that. My biggest issue with him is his approach to black people and how he suckers up to white people while speaking in disdain of black people.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 4:12pm On Dec 14, 2013
Fulaman198:

I honestly don't care if he marries a white woman, nothing wrong with that. My biggest issue with him is his approach to black people and how he suckers up to white people while speaking in disdain of black people.

Self-hating Africans have been exhibiting both behaviors for about a century. One is usually accompanied by the other....nothing new and nothing to waste your time over. A life spent wishing that one were something else is not going to be changed by a message board exchange with someone comfortable and proud of who they are.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by KissIkebe(f): 4:18pm On Dec 14, 2013
Vicjustice:
VJ, i share your views, YOU are the one who is spot on, NOT the man who presented that jihadist inspired video and the man who supports him embarassed

2 Likes

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 5:53pm On Dec 14, 2013
Kiss_Ikebe: VJ, i share your views, YOU are the one who is spot on, NOT the man who presented that jihadist inspired video and the man who supports him embarassed

You are naive and wreaking of low self-esteem
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 5:54pm On Dec 14, 2013
MamiWata:

Self-hating Africans have been exhibiting both behaviors for about a century. One is usually accompanied by the other....nothing new and nothing to waste your time over. A life spent wishing that one were something else is not going to be changed by a message board exchange with someone comfortable and proud of who they are.

Self-hating Africans are the ones bringing this continent down.

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by MamiWata: 6:27pm On Dec 14, 2013
Fulaman198:

No doubt about that.

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by wishlolia(f): 4:31pm On Dec 15, 2013
Fulaman198:
no, not "self hating africans", rather, the mentality of africans is responsible for bringing down the continent, the very mentality that is responsible for greed and corruption

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 5:59pm On Dec 15, 2013
wishlolia:
no, not "self hating africans", rather, the mentality of africans is responsible for bringing down the continent, the very mentality that is responsible for greed and corruption

Correct, that is part of the large problem, however greed and corruptuon exists everywhere. If you have noticed with the recent fiasco in the United States and the NSA and its abuse of power.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by wishlolia(f): 7:10pm On Dec 15, 2013
Fulaman198:

Correct, that is part of the large problem, however greed and corruptuon exists everywhere. If you have noticed with the recent fiasco in the United States and the NSA and its abuse of power.
it won't make a sensible argument to say that greed and corruption exist everywhere in defense of african's greed and corruption level.

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 8:14pm On Dec 15, 2013
wishlolia:
it won't make a sensible argument to say that greed and corruption exist everywhere in defense of african's greed and corruption level.

It is a very sensible argument. Corruption is not the only reason why African countries are not doing well. There is a lot of corruption in Western societies.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 4:22am On Dec 17, 2013
Fulaman198:

It is a very sensible argument. Corruption is not the only reason why African countries are not doing well. There is a lot of corruption in Western societies.
So, what are the other reasons why African countries aren't doing well? I don't seem to see much of other reasons except the obvious one that many Africans have your kind of mind-set, such mentality that hinders development: how could any open-minded person compare African corruption with that of the west?
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 7:27am On Dec 17, 2013
Vicjustice: So, what are the other reasons why African countries aren't doing well? I don't seem to see much of other reasons except the obvious one that many Africans have your kind of mind-set, such mentality that hinders development: how could any open-minded person compare African corruption with that of the west?

A lot have your mindset which is holding back productivity. They want to be European and would rather have nothing to do with Africa.

A lot of people allow themselves to be brainwashed in ethnic and religious politics as well. If Nigerians could get past their differences and embrace them like India has done to some extent, we would be on the right track potentially.

Nigeria needs leaders who love the country and its people. People who will build the proper infrastructures like huge WANs and MANs over fiber optics or 4G LTE. A need to want to improve technology (defense systems, better weaponry, better encrypted network security, etc. Etc.)

There is a lot to be done in Nigeria. We also need to recognise that we are Africans and not Westerners or Europeans. The Indians still place a high value on their culture but yet are doing very well.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by KissIkebe(f): 9:38pm On Dec 17, 2013
@fulaman, i don't see how people with European mentality or people that want to have European way of life are responsible for holding back africa, you have to look at europe itself, if their mentality developed the continent, then it should be a good mentality. your kind of mentality is too native, too traditional and this makes it hard to see beyond local levels and such is bad for this modern world

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Fulaman198(m): 9:45pm On Dec 17, 2013
Kiss_Ikebe: @fulaman, i don't see how people with European mentality or people that want to have European way of life are responsible for holding back africa, you have to look at europe itself, if their mentality developed the continent, then it should be a good mentality. your kind of mentality is too native, too traditional and this makes it hard to see beyond local levels and such is bad for this modern world

A lot of cultures do not have this syndrome of being copy cats. India, China, Japan, South Korea, Brazil, are all successful utilising their own methods.

In order for a nation to be successful, they must find a means or way of doing things that work for them, not someone else's method. Do you really think Mali which comprised of Timbuktu, one of the richest cities of all time were busy copying Europeans? Absolutely not! They did things their own way.

What works for one person does not often work for others.
Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by KissIkebe(f): 11:31pm On Dec 17, 2013
so, why hasn't it worked for nigeria so far? Is the fulani culture not about living nomadic lifestyle, how would any country develop with such lifestyle together with religion fanaticism?

you are against "copying syndrome" of other people culture, but yet, you're a muslim... or is your Islamic religion not from foreign culture?

1 Like

Re: The Free Dating Site Where Cultures are Integrated by Vicjustice: 11:35pm On Dec 17, 2013
Kiss_Ikebe: @fulaman, i don't see how people with European mentality or people that want to have European way of life are responsible for holding back africa, you have to look at europe itself, if their mentality developed the continent, then it should be a good mentality. your kind of mentality is too native, too traditional and this makes it hard to see beyond local levels and such is bad for this modern world
Kiss_Ikebe: so, why hasn't it worked for nigeria so far? Is the fulani culture not about living nomadic lifestyle, how would any country develop with such lifestyle together with religion fanaticism?

you are against "copying syndrome" of other people culture, but yet, you're a muslim... or is your Islamic religion not from foreign culture?
Excellent insights, good job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

My Observations. The Igbos And Yorubas Tribe. Funny But True. / What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? / When Last Did You Visit Your Hometown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.