Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

The Big Freeze In Uk. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Big Freeze In Uk. (3144 Views)

Is Barbing. Profitable In Uk Or Usa / Discretionary Leave To Remain Visa In UK. / Ten Nigerians Held In Uk For Marriage, Immigration Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Freesia(f): 12:56am On Dec 21, 2010
The UK is a joke when it comes to snow!! Must everything come to a standstill??They have too many excuses lately it's just unbelievable they predicted it and then didn't prepare themselves for it.What would countries like Canada,Norway,Denmark,Germany and some parts of the America's Mid- West say compared to this 5 inches of snow in the UK?? Lazy is what I call it
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by snowdrops(m): 2:10am On Dec 21, 2010
r231:

says who

mine is coping just fine
Most BMWs are rear wheel drive, apart from the 4*4 and minis, even them are based on a rear wheel model. They struggle on snow and the tyres spin a lot.
I don't know the type u ve got, but i have the new model 5 series diesel. I have sinced packed up, shikena.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Nobody: 3:04am On Dec 21, 2010
snowdrops:

Nice one.
But whatever you do avoid BMWs. They are useless on ice.

Most RWD cars won't fare as well as FWD or AWD in the snow, true.

My work buddy has an E36 M3 Coupe, and it's lethal in the snow. He lives on a hilly stretch, and the rear end's just too tail-happy attempting to drive up the crest. He's resigned himself to running his wife's Ford Focus 1,6 to and from work, till conditions improve.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by joxiri: 11:07am On Dec 21, 2010
I hope people are reading this all of you pay over the odds to come to uk, as u can clearly see its not all it is made to be in fact the uk is slowly loosing its status as a 1st world country in my opinion
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by justwise(m): 11:25am On Dec 21, 2010
joxiri:

I hope people are reading this all of you pay over the odds to come to uk, as u can clearly see its not all it is made to be in fact the uk is slowly loosing its status as a 1st world country in my opinion

. . .but winter is not a new thing in the UK or other European countries, is not as if its all yr round thing.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by joxiri: 11:47am On Dec 21, 2010
Yes justwise, the more reason why uk should be able to cope with it. I mean after last years experience they should have been well prepared it is the airports struggling that is really embarrassing, but yet all you hear is there's no money
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by justwise(m): 11:54am On Dec 21, 2010
joxiri:

Yes justwise, the more reason why uk should be able to cope with it. I mean after last years experience they should have been well prepared it is the airports struggling that is really embarrassing, but yet all you hear is there's no money

I see where you coming from but you have to also remember that the cost of installing runway heating system will fall back to the ordinary travelers and this sever weather prob doesn't happen every yr, so does the cost of installing runway heating system worth it?

Passengers are to be blamed sometimes, some still go to the airport even when they know that the chances of getting a flight is very remote with the chaas going on.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by joxiri: 12:19pm On Dec 21, 2010
Not even that, there's these trucks that clear the snow, which it seems they can't afford, there's not much money and much of it is being wrongly invested to a certain extent, they really need to protect heathrows position as the largest hub in the world, that is under threat from schipol and frankfurt, another 3 years of this embarrassement and that position may become untenable and we all know the impact such will have on the economy
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by justwise(m): 12:32pm On Dec 21, 2010
joxiri:

Not even that, there's these trucks that clear the snow, which it seems they can't afford, there's not much money and much of it is being wrongly invested to a certain extent, they really need to protect heathrows position as the largest hub in the world, that is under threat from schipol and frankfurt, another 3 years of this embarrassement and that position may become untenable and we all know the impact such will have on the economy

Have to agree with u on that.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by snowdrops(m): 12:37pm On Dec 21, 2010
Siena:

Most RWD cars won't fare as well as FWD or AWD in the snow, true.

My work buddy has an E36 M3 Coupe, and it's lethal in the snow. He lives on a hilly stretch, and the rear end's just too tail-happy attempting to drive up the crest. He's resigned himself to running his wife's Ford Focus 1,6 to and from work, till conditions improve.

absolutely agree. unless one has to change all the tyres to winter ones.

where is a range rover sports when you need it
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by snowdrops(m): 12:40pm On Dec 21, 2010
i heard the airport in finland , where it snows several inches deep in winter hardly ever gets shut. the extra money invested could indirectly save millions more in revenue that would have been lost due to the country grinding to a halt.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by damola1: 2:12pm On Dec 21, 2010
joxiri:

In fact you are very correct, this year alone, remember the wahala they got from iceland volcano, which made them drop to #4 busiest airport, now this one, they are starting to become like Nigerian holidays, when it's so regular to have holidays, can you imagine the billions lost for this closure, and if it could be fixed, why didn't they fix it. I mean, do you know how many shipments would have passed through these ports this season alone, they don't know what's wrong with their head,
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by r231(m): 9:49pm On Dec 21, 2010
@snowdrops

you jinx ma car grin grin grin

after reading you and siena's comment, i took my car out to go drive on proper ice lol

go to a road as i was about to turn right, the car was just dancing to the left from the back grin grin

i was like oh oh but then i managed to pull away after going back and forth for 20 million times grin grin
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Mygoldie(f): 6:45pm On Dec 25, 2010
Thank God the snow has melted away slowly,i fell twice,LOL, got up and laughed at myself, i guess im not the only one who got caught up by the snow,becos of a wrong shoe choice,had to get a rubber boot,by force.lol. grin grin
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by snowdrops(m): 8:46pm On Dec 25, 2010
@ r231

thank God you are safe. Black ice could be very hazardous. You feel like an amateur learning to skate. however bmws remain lovely cars, at least for the summer and milder winters.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by AngieFan(f): 12:55am On Dec 27, 2010
Thousands of flights cancelled across the US Eastcoast. shocked

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2010/12/sunday-airline-delays/136192/1

So when the same thing happens in London (and I say London and not the UK like all of you are because the airports in Glasgow, Manchester etc were operating alright during the snow.) why do the media mouth of about London being the only developed city in the world which is unable to cope with snow?
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by cougar1: 12:24pm On Dec 27, 2010
AngieFan:

Thousands of flights cancelled across the US Eastcoast. shocked

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2010/12/sunday-airline-delays/136192/1

So when the same thing happens in London (and I say London and not the UK like all of you are because the airports in Glasgow, Manchester etc were operating alright during the snow.) why do the media mouth of about London being the only developed city in the world which is unable to cope with snow?

because london city gets compared to other european cities like berlin, stockholm, zurich, helsinki, etc and those cities cope quite well with their winter.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Bossman(m): 7:45pm On Dec 28, 2010
The UK is just not prepared to handle this kind of snow. This should be an eye-opener though. A lot of cities in the US (including here in Chicago) get a whole lot more snow than this. And are also much more colder. The difference is that, it's part of every winter here, so we are prepared for it. snow/salt trucks, de-icers, etc.  The trucks are usually already stationed on the highways before it even starts snowing, especially around rush hour. Once it starts they hit it full-force.

That amount of snow/cold will certainly not disrupt anything here! It may delay air  and road traffic, but that's about it.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by AngieFan(f): 11:54pm On Dec 28, 2010
cou-gar:

because london city gets compared to other european cities like berlin, stockholm, zurich, helsinki, etc and those cities cope quite well with their winter.

Could it be because those cities are guaranteed heavy fall snow each year while London isn't? And why isn't London compared to other UK cities such as Edinburgh, Manchester ect whose airports cope very well with the snow?
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by AngieFan(f): 12:01am On Dec 29, 2010
Bossman:

The UK is just not prepared to handle this kind of snow. This should be an eye-opener though. A lot of cities in the US (including here in Chicago) get a whole lot more snow than this. And are also much more colder. The difference is that, it's part of every winter here, so we are prepared for it. snow/salt trucks, de-icers, etc.  The trucks are usually already stationed on the highways before it even starts snowing, especially around rush hour. Once it starts they hit it full-force.

That amount of snow/cold will certainly not disrupt anything here!It may delay air and road traffic, but that's about it.

It is just London and not the whole of the UK. London normally doesn't get snow like this but in the northern part of the country where it is colder they're used to coping.

It may delay air and road traffic, but that's about it.

Well if those two entities are disrupted like they were in London won't it have a detrimental effect on the rest of the city with people not being able to get to where they need to be etc?
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Bossman(m): 12:07am On Dec 29, 2010
Like I said, it may cause delays, but certainly not disruptions like it did in London. I also did mention tha it's because they are not used to it out there.

AngieFan:

It is just London and not the whole of the UK. London normally doesn't get snow like this but in the northern part of the country where it is colder they're used to coping.

Well if those two entities are disrupted like they were in London won't it have a detrimental effect on the rest of the city with people not being able to get to where they need to be etc?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Through Conference / Medical Certificate / I Need Urgent Help With Singapore Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.