Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Disability Awareness In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Disability Awareness In Nigeria (10387 Views)

Gtbank Raises Cultural Awareness In Children…promotes Mother Tongue Through Sks / Awareness On Ebola Virus Made In Igbo Language / Calabar Women Awareness. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disability Awareness In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 8:03pm On Dec 19, 2010
Since my last Visit to Nigeria in 2009, it has been in my heart to go back there to increase the awareness to people who are "disabled". This was my first time in Nigeria after I had the tragic car accident in March 2008 which left me with practically no other choice than to make use of a wheelchair in order to gain independence and be mobile. I was a little skeptical on going to Nigeria at first, not because of how I would be perceived as a person on a wheelchair, but because let’s face it, roads in Nigeria aren’t the best, and almost every building is NOT wheelchair accessible. As most of you already know, I don’t let this physical disability stop me from living my life and doing that which I want to do. I have been able, by the grace of God to go back to school, travel everywhere I want to go to (well, everywhere I can afford to, oh wait, I mean, everywhere my father buys me ticket to go to, lol), and do the things I want to do, because I now have a deeper understanding of the phrase “Life is short”. I stay smiling because I genuinely know joy that is beyond comprehension. I am thankful for being alive and well, and one thing stays constant in my life, My Faith in God. I believe that I will walk again, but until that time, I will continue to conquer and live this life. Do I have rough days? *Uses British accent* Oh No dear! Rough days?! Whatever does that mean? LOL, Okay, okay… Jokes aside. Well of course I have rough days, we all have rough days. But I always try to remember on those rough days: “This too shall pass”. I have been blessed with AMAZING people in my life, and I just can’t say much other than: GOD YOU ARE SO GOOD!

Now that I have given you a brief history of myself, let’s go back to what I was saying about wanting to increase the awareness to people who are physically disabled in Nigeria. Physical disability does not mean mental disability, and this is something that I really think a lot of people don't get yet.

Most Nigerians see a person on the street using a wheelchair, begging for money, food or basic everyday needs and they just snob them and immediately think "haa, another one trying to get MY money"! It is one thing to be poor and “able bodied”, and it’s another thing entirely to be poor and “disabled”.

My reason for wanting to go back to Nigeria is not because I was treated wrong when I was there, and thus I long for something better. No, not at all, I dare say I was treated like royalty! Independent as I am, I had cousins, aunties, friends, neighbors, strangers, and just about everybody, offering to help me. I could go on living my life thinking this is the life every “disabled” person in Nigeria lives, but the truth remains: this is not the treatment the everyday person on a wheelchair or with any form of disability in Nigeria gets.

Roads in Nigeria are NOT wheelchair accessible. Offices, buildings, shopping stores, markets, even schools are not accessible. I understand the aesthetics of stairs in a building, but SERIOUSLY? Does every building have to have stairs? On my visit, I wanted to go into a bank with my friend and her mother, but come to find out, the bank had about 4 steps of stairs, and if by some way or manner I was able to get past the stairs, the doors to the bank are so small that a wheelchair would not fit into it. So where does this leave a person on a wheelchair? No access to banks? Schools? Businesses? Companies? Without education, we know it’s hard to get a good well paying job, and without access to most business places, a disabled individual is more susceptible to being poor, and having to beg for money and basic every day necessities.

Nigerians living in Nigeria, I’m sure you’re not blind, you see these people on the streets, in the market, and everywhere. You know that they are living very poor lives and most of them, though they are mentally capable would not be given the time of the day at a work place or taken seriously in the business world. They deserve much more than being treated as incapable just because of their physical deformities. This might be some sort of a stretch, because I know some of the “able bodied” in Nigeria have not secured a good job talk more the physically disabled, but these people are human and they need to have equal rights as well.

As I stated earlier, ever since 2009, it has been in my heart to do something about this, get some sort of awareness thing started out there, to just do something! But until now, I was thinking I had to be IN Nigeria to start doing something, I was thinking I had to be seen and be heard audibly! I forgot that I can start by talking to the few people I am able to reach by typing.

So what is my point today? Where exactly am I trying to reach with this?

Well thanks for asking. I plead with everyone of you, when you go out today and you see a person who is not able bodied, or someone who is not standing up as tall as you are, because of a birth defect, an accident, abuse, neglect, or a disease, Please lend a helping hand to them. It doesn’t matter what you give, nothing is too little. It doesn’t have to be cash or food, it could be a smile, a handshake, a lift, clearing out the path they’re moving along, or just plainly asking them “how are you doing”. If you are an architect, a construction worker, remember to make the buildings you’re making accessible to those with physical disability. If you’re a citizen, trying to get on a bus, watch carefully, look at that guy who can’t run to the bus as fast as you can, and give him the chance to get inside the bus. If you’re a teacher, remember that, the boy on a wheelchair who can’t participate in sports could be the best on the debate team. Everybody has a part to play here.

Although this note focuses more on disability awareness in Nigeria, I urge everyone everywhere to look around you, and help those who are less privileged whichever way you can.

P.S: I am NOT stating that everyone who has a disability brought on by an accident, a disease, abuse, neglect or on a wheelchair in Nigeria are poor, lacking or wanting! When you want to give, give to those who are needy. If you see a person on a chair and you go give them 200 naira, and you get a dirty slap, Biko, No call my name o, lol. Jor o, I no send you! Ensure that they are in the position of need, and remember Nothing is too small to give.

After all this is the season to be Jolly, Give a gift today.

Be Part of the Change in Someone’s life

God Bless you.

Signed: Elizabeth Oke.

-----

P.P.S: Remember there's nothing God cannot do.My life is my testimony and I am very glad and thankful!

As you give a gift to the less privileged, remember to most importantly Give a Gift of thanks to God for your life and the lives of your friends and family. :-)

Happy Holidays! Remember The Reason for The Season: JESUS!

3 Likes

Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by InkedNerd(f): 1:44am On Dec 20, 2010
Well said my dear. You deserve a standing ovation for this. I remember being in Nigeria when I was younger and I used to see people just walking by while other were in pain and I was quite disturbed and baffled by their lack of empathy or acknowledgment of these people. Its sickening. Nigerians really needs to reform their way of thinking when it comes to how we treat the disabled and mentally ill.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by aljharem(m): 4:07am On Dec 20, 2010
good words,,

i believe that God would make nigeria see the light very soon

May you stay blessed

Allah be with you, Amin
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by oludashmi(f): 10:52am On Dec 20, 2010
hot-angel:

Roads in Nigeria are NOT wheelchair accessible. Offices, buildings, shopping stores, markets, even schools are not accessible. I understand the aesthetics of stairs in a building, but SERIOUSLY? Does every building have to have stairs? On my visit, I wanted to go into a bank with my friend and her mother, but come to find out, the bank had about 4 steps of stairs, and if by some way or manner I was able to get past the stairs, the doors to the bank are so small that a wheelchair would not fit into it. So where does this leave a person on a wheelchair? No access to banks? Schools? Businesses? Companies? Without education, we know it’s hard to get a good well paying job, and without access to most business places, a disabled individual is more susceptible to being poor, and having to beg for money and basic every day necessities.

Well said honestly.
Good move too.

As for the wheel chair non-accessibility in schools, roads, buildings etc, it is very true for 99% of all our structures and plans.

So you need to have a way of doing yours (re-strategise) cos we see some of these awareness progs on TV and hear on radio but as usual Nigerian things live only in the books. All those who promised one support or the other will turn ghost after the prog. Take care.

1 Like

Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by mukina2: 12:50pm On Dec 20, 2010
hot-angel:

Since my last Visit to Nigeria in 2009, it has been in my heart to go back there to increase the awareness to people who are "disabled". This was my first time in Nigeria after I had the tragic car accident in March 2008 which left me with practically no other choice than to make use of a wheelchair in order to gain independence and be mobile. I was a little skeptical on going to Nigeria at first, not because of how I would be perceived as a person on a wheelchair, but because let’s face it, roads in Nigeria aren’t the best, and almost every building is NOT wheelchair accessible. As most of you already know, I don’t let this physical disability stop me from living my life and doing that which I want to do. I have been able, by the grace of God to go back to school, travel everywhere I want to go to (well, everywhere I can afford to, oh wait, I mean, everywhere my father buys me ticket to go to, lol), and do the things I want to do, because I now have a deeper understanding of the phrase “Life is short”. I stay smiling because I genuinely know joy that is beyond comprehension. I am thankful for being alive and well, and one thing stays constant in my life, My Faith in God. I believe that I will walk again, but until that time, I will continue to conquer and live this life. Do I have rough days? *Uses British accent* Oh No dear! Rough days?! Whatever does that mean? LOL, Okay, okay… Jokes aside. Well of course I have rough days, we all have rough days. But I always try to remember on those rough days: “This too shall pass”. I have been blessed with AMAZING people in my life, and I just can’t say much other than: GOD YOU ARE SO GOOD! 
well said.
Good positive words. You will walk again my dear smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 2:41pm On Dec 20, 2010
hot-angel:

Since my last Visit to Nigeria in 2009, it has been in my heart to go back there to increase the awareness to people who are "disabled".  This was my first time in Nigeria after I had the tragic car accident in March 2008 which left me with practically no other choice than to make use of a wheelchair in order to gain independence and be mobile.  I was a little skeptical on going to Nigeria at first, not because of how I would be perceived as a person on a wheelchair, but because let’s face it, roads in Nigeria aren’t the best, and almost every building is NOT wheelchair accessible. As most of you already know, I don’t let this physical disability stop me from living my life and doing that which I want to do. I have been able, by the grace of God to go back to school, travel everywhere I want to go to (well, everywhere I can afford to, oh wait, I mean, everywhere my father buys me ticket to go to,  lol), and do the things I want to do, because I now have a deeper understanding of the phrase “Life is short”. I stay smiling because I genuinely know joy that is beyond comprehension.  I am thankful for being alive and well, and one thing stays constant in my life, My Faith in God. I believe that I will walk again, but until that time, I will continue to conquer and live this life. Do I have rough days? *Uses British accent* Oh No dear! Rough days?! Whatever does that mean?  LOL,  Okay, okay… Jokes aside. Well of course I have rough days, we all have rough days. But I always try to remember on those rough days: “This too shall pass”. I have been blessed with AMAZING people in my life, and I just can’t say much other than:  GOD YOU ARE SO GOOD!   

Now that I have given you a brief history of myself, let’s go back to what I was saying about wanting to increase the awareness to people who are physically disabled in Nigeria.  Physical disability does not mean mental disability, and this is something that I really think a lot of people don't get yet.

Most Nigerians see a person on the street using a wheelchair,  begging for money, food or basic everyday needs and they just snob them and immediately think "haa, another one trying to get MY money"! It is one thing to be poor and “able bodied”, and it’s another thing entirely to be poor and “disabled”.

My reason for wanting to go back to Nigeria is not because I was treated wrong when I was there, and thus I long for something better.  No, not at all, I dare say I was treated like royalty! Independent as I am, I had cousins, aunties, friends, neighbors, strangers, and just about everybody, offering to help me. I could go on living my life thinking this is the life every “disabled” person in Nigeria lives, but the truth remains: this is not the treatment the everyday person on a wheelchair or with any form of disability in Nigeria gets.

Nigerians living in Nigeria, I’m sure you’re not blind, you see these people on the streets, in the market, and everywhere. You know that they are living very poor lives and most of them, though they are mentally capable would not be given the time of the day at a work place or taken seriously in the business world.  They deserve much more than being treated as incapable just because of their physical deformities. This might be some sort of a stretch, because I know some of the “able bodied” in Nigeria have not secured a good job talk more the physically disabled, but these people are human and they need to have equal rights as well.

As I stated earlier, ever since 2009, it has been in my heart to do something about this, get some sort of awareness thing started out there, to just do something! But until now, I was thinking I had to be IN Nigeria to start doing something, I was thinking I had to be seen and be heard audibly! I forgot that I can start by talking to the few people I am able to reach by typing.

So what is my point today? Where exactly am I trying to reach with this?

Well thanks for asking. I plead with everyone of you, when you go out today and you see a person who is not able bodied, or someone who is not standing up as tall as you are, because of a birth defect, an accident, abuse, neglect, or a disease, Please lend a helping hand to them. It doesn’t matter what you give, nothing is too little. It doesn’t have to be cash or food, it could be a smile, a handshake, a lift, clearing out the path they’re moving along, or just plainly asking them “how are you doing”. If you are an architect, a construction worker, remember to make the buildings you’re making accessible to those with physical disability. If you’re a citizen, trying to get on a bus, watch carefully, look at that guy who can’t run to the bus as fast as you can, and give him the chance to get inside the bus. If you’re a teacher, remember that, the boy on a wheelchair who can’t participate in sports could be the best on the debate team. Everybody has a part to play here.

Although this note focuses more on disability awareness in Nigeria, I urge everyone everywhere to look around you, and help those who are less privileged whichever way you can.

P.S: I am NOT stating that everyone who has a disability brought on by an accident, a disease, abuse, neglect or on a wheelchair in Nigeria are poor, lacking or wanting! When you want to give, give to those who are needy. If you see a person on a chair and you go give them 200 naira, and you get a dirty slap, Biko, No call my name o,  lol. Jor o, I no send you!  Ensure that they are in the position of need, and remember Nothing is too small to give.

After all this is the season to be Jolly, Give a gift today.

Be Part of the Change in Someone’s life

God Bless you.

Signed: Elizabeth Oke.

-----

P.P.S: Remember there's nothing God cannot do.My life is my testimony and I am very glad and thankful!

As you give a gift to the less privileged, remember to most importantly Give a Gift of thanks to God for your life and the lives of your friends and family. :-)

Happy Holidays! Remember The Reason for The Season: JESUS!

You exude positivity,high hopes and Confidence,I admire that.
Everything wud turn out fine before you know it.cheers  kiss
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by marabout(m): 2:59pm On Dec 20, 2010
I believe that I will walk again, but until that time, I will continue to conquer and live this life.

@ hottie,

That's the spirit. I did manage to do it and you can do it. Of course neurologists/neurosurgeons would say unlikely. Never mind. You know your faith. They know science.

Amazing that you have dealt with it like a superwoman. The song "Hero" comes to mind.

Like you said, not everyone is lucky enough to have people who really care around them.
In Naija, disability awareness is poor. I wondered about this and many other things when visiting Naija last fall. Some even say disabled people are reaping the reward for their evil deeds or those of their family. I know people back then who suffered childhood polio. They were almost made invisible by their families to avoid shame. Sad indeed.

If our legislooters were not too busy sharing money, they could bring in legislation to force public offices to have wheelchair access or face a huge fine.
You can start with petitioning your state government for doing nothing in that respect. You are still very young. With time you can start an NGO.  Our good people here at NL have a big heart, never mind the constant bickering.
But then most disabled people cannot  even afford a wheelchair.
Thumbs up.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by armyofone(m): 3:50pm On Dec 20, 2010
Nigerians would prefer they go to spiritual churches for healing. oh yeah! tell an amputee from Iraq war to go to church for regrowth, undecided
when western countries are being innovative, we are still blinded by superstition of na winch do am, na winch cause am. and they say why i love my A merry cah huh undecided

OP, good job. can you imagine in this age no wheel chair accessible workplace or home?
embarassed
God bless our troops
support our troops
SemperFI
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by kabukabu50(m): 4:29pm On Dec 20, 2010
armyofone:

Nigerians would prefer they go to spiritual churches for healing. oh yeah! tell an amputee from Iraq war to go to church for regrowth, undecided
when western countries are being innovative, we are still blinded by superstition of na winch do am, na winch cause am. and they say why i love my A merry cah huh undecided

OP, good job. can you imagine in this age no wheel chair accessible workplace or home?
embarassed
God bless our troops
support our troops
SemperFI

Well said, In Nigeria once you are disabled you are a nobody in soceity, In civilized countries, disabled people get hired to work because the govt pays the companies subsidies to hire them grin grin grin.When you go to ANY store/bank/office, the disabled get marked parking closet to the entrance, and if they dont work, they get paid montly by the government grin grin grin

Nigeria has a long way to go
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by nethacker(m): 6:46pm On Dec 20, 2010
i am jst speechless after reading ur write.
i salute ur courage.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by mendax: 8:28pm On Dec 20, 2010
As a nation we should be thinking of disability acts/bills etc, to ensure equal opportunities for disabled in terms of jobs and education and ensuring buildings are structured to accommodate the use of wheelchairs etc like the poster highlighted.

In the meantime, we need to take it up on ourselves as individuals to help the less privileged among us.

@OP, thanks for the wonderful post
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by natume: 9:04pm On Dec 20, 2010
God be with us
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by omobachi(m): 12:35am On Dec 21, 2010
You will walk again my dear, just last month a friend of mine walked again after 6 year on wheelchair cos she never gave up. Take care. wink

1 Like

Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by aljharem(m): 2:03am On Dec 21, 2010
omobachi:

[b]You will walk again my dea[/b]r, just last month a friend of mine walked again after 6 year on wheelchair cos she never gave up. Take care. wink

Amin, Amen smiley

1 Like

Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 4:41am On Dec 21, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Well said my dear. You deserve a standing ovation for this. I remember being in Nigeria when I was younger and I used to see people just walking by while other were in pain and I was quite disturbed and baffled by their lack of empathy or acknowledgment of these people. Its sickening. Nigerians really needs to reform their way of thinking when it comes to how we treat the disabled and mentally ill.

Thanks. In fact I also saw some people crawling on all fours, their knees and hands. These are people that should have access to wheelchairs, and whatever else they would need to be independent but the government does not provide that.
Aside from what the government does not do, It's sickening as you said how fellow citizens treat the disabled.

alj harem:

good words,,

i believe that God would make nigeria see the light very soon

May you stay blessed

Allah be with you, Amin
Thanks. God Bless you as well, Nigeria will see the light very soon. Everyone has a part to play as I stated.

oludashmi:

Well said honestly.
Good move too.

As for the wheel chair non-accessibility in schools, roads, buildings etc, it is very true for 99% of all our structures and plans.

So you need to have a way of doing yours (re-strategise) cos we see some of these awareness progs on TV and hear on radio but as usual Nigerian things live only in the books. All those who promised one support or the other will turn ghost after the prog. Take care.

I definitely understood the strategy thing. I mean, I practically needed help one way or the other, getting up and down of some stairs, and curbs, and bumps, and ohh goodness, roads that aren't tiled. Those sand suck up the tires of the wheelchair! How can a disabled person be independent with all that?
I long for something that will not turn into a ghost.
We first need to get rid of the mentality that "these things happen only in books". Tenacity and continuous effort on the awareness is what will eventually elicit changes.

mukina2:

well said.
Good positive words. You will walk again my dear smiley smiley smiley
Thank You. Amen! God bless you.

ifyalways:

You exude positivity,high hopes and Confidence,I admire that.
Everything wud turn out fine before you know it.cheers  kiss
Much as my flesh wants to take credit for the confident, I cannot. I thank God and give him the glory. I have strength beyond my comprehension, and I just give thanks to God for it.
Thank you very much. Your words keep me fired up.

marabout:

I believe that I will walk again, but until that time, I will continue to conquer and live this life.

@ hottie,

That's the spirit. I did manage to do it and you can do it. Of course neurologists/neurosurgeons would say unlikely. Never mind. You know your faith. They know science.

Amazing that you have dealt with it like a superwoman. The song "Hero" comes to mind.

Like you said, not everyone is lucky enough to have people who really care around them.
In Naija, disability awareness is poor. I wondered about this and many other things when visiting Naija last fall. Some even say disabled people are reaping the reward for their evil deeds or those of their family. I know people back then who suffered childhood polio. They were almost made invisible by their families to avoid shame. Sad indeed.

If our legislooters were not too busy sharing money, they could bring in legislation to force public offices to have wheelchair access or face a huge fine.
You can start with petitioning your state government for doing nothing in that respect. You are still very young. With time you can start an NGO.  Our good people here at NL have a big heart, never mind the constant bickering.
But then most disabled people cannot  even afford a wheelchair.
Thumbs up.
Oh you flatter me. Hero now? I am merely a girl who has been blessed enough to appreciate life. Saved from a tragedy, and still living a happy life.
Neurologists definitely do say what they may. But I have learnt not believe in their report. This does not mean I am non-complaint to medical advices, after all I am a nursing students and I very well understand what it means to comply to medicine. But In the act of compliance, I always remember that my trust in the Lord, and he is the author and finisher of all that concerns me.

The issue you have raised about how some disabled people are reaping the rewards of their evil deeds is very very true. I don't like to say this, but most Nigerian have tied everything to a thing of racial barriers or religious issues.
Quite understandably, as a Christian, I know that the devil comes to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10)
But this does not mean that the person who has been affected is THE devil,

To turn this issue of lack of awareness of the disabled people in Nigeria would be covering up the CHANGE that needs to begin to take place!

It doesn't matter how the disability came by, or how it could have been avoided. All I want now is, How can these disabled people LIVE a better life now that This has happened to them?!

armyofone:

embarassed
God bless our troops
support our troops
SemperFI
As I stated previously, It doesn't matter how the disability came by, or how it could have been avoided. All I want now is, How can these disabled people LIVE a better life now that This has happened to them?!

kabukabu50:

Well said, In Nigeria once you are disabled you are a nobody in soceity, In civilized countries, disabled people get hired to work because the govt pays the companies subsidies to hire them grin grin grin.When you go to ANY store/bank/office, the disabled get marked parking closet to the entrance, and if they dont work, they get paid montly by the government grin grin grin

Nigeria has a long way to go
Nigeria has some ways to go, but the change need to start somewhere. A lot of people see that the change will take a long process, and so they just discard the idea entirely. Someone has to start somewhere.
Children should not be isolated in their parents home because they have physical disability and can't go to school.
It reinforces the fact that those children are not a part of the society. Which is NOT true. They are the same as every other kids. And Other kids would be more accepting of them if they see them doing some of the things that THEY are doing, like coming to school, reading books e.t.c.

I realized something on my visit to Nigeria by the way. Considering that I was well dressed, not begging for money or food, and definitely appeared happy and well-to-do, I perceived that I was very well received by most people. Aside from the obvious question: "what happened? Why are you using a wheelchair"?

nethacker:

i am jst speechless after reading your write.
i salute your courage.
I appreciate your kind words. :-)

mendax:

As a nation we should be thinking of disability acts/bills etc, to ensure equal opportunities for disabled in terms of jobs and education and ensuring buildings are structured to accommodate the use of wheelchairs etc like the poster highlighted.

In the meantime, we need to take it up on ourselves as individuals to help the less privileged among us.

@OP, thanks for the wonderful post

Truth! Absolute Truth! My favorite part of your post is how you not only limit the change to the government, but also every individual. This is my message exactly. As much as the government is a MAJOR part of this whole thing, citizens need to also take it upon themselves to do something.

@ Natume, Thanks dear.

omobachi:

You will walk again my dear, just last month a friend of mine walked again after 6 year on wheelchair cos she never gave up. Take care. wink
That's a testimony. I believe.
My life is already a testimony. No giving up here. No sulking or feeling bad either.

Thank you all so much for taking out the time to read this and I believe that change is beginning with each and everyone of us. Get the word out there. Send the link to this post to your friends. email them. Facebook them. Let's start shedding light to this issue.
You wouldn't know what you can do till you start doing it.
I do not pray for any of you or your family members to be disabled. But you don't want a situation where it's when disability strikes that you now start trying to change things.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by kristonium(m): 4:43am On Dec 21, 2010
my dear,im ready to join u in this crusade.i wish to meet u personally if u don't mind so we could map out strategies on how we could take this awareness to a new level.This time indeed shall pass!there is hope!

Note:pls u can reach me on xtristolink@gmail.com,08032936936.

U SHALL WALK AGAIN!
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by InkedNerd(f): 5:38am On Dec 21, 2010
hot-angel:

Thanks. In fact I also saw some people crawling on all fours, their knees and hands. These are people that should have access to wheelchairs, and whatever else they would need to be independent but the government does not provide that.
Aside from what the government does not do, It's sickening as you said how fellow citizens treat the disabled.

I've seen the same as well. A lot of people seem to have to feel that because its not happening to them or someone they know, then its not important. I have two cousins who have needs as well. . . Luckily for them, they came from a family that had the financial means to provide the appropriate care they needed. In fact, one of those cousins, no one thought she would ever walk. With the care she was able to receive, she was able to learn to walk. If you ever start an campaign to help the disabled or mentally ill in Nigeria, please let me know. I wanna do whatever I can to help. I'm so sorry to hear about your accident, I hope that someday you will regain your ability to walk. Your unwillingness to give up shows the true strength you possess.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 5:53am On Dec 21, 2010
kristonium:

my dear,im ready to join u in this crusade.i wish to meet u personally if u don't mind so we could map out strategies on how we could take this awareness to a new level.This time indeed shall pass!there is hope!

Note:pls u can reach me on xtristolink@gmail.com,08032936936.

U SHALL WALK AGAIN!

Thank you very much. I appreciate your willingness to help out. People like you are needed!

Inked_Nerd:

I've seen the same as well. A lot of people seem to have to feel that because its not happening to them or someone they know, then its not important. I have two cousins who have needs as well. . . Luckily for them, they came from a family that had the financial means to provide the appropriate care they needed. In fact, one of those cousins, no one thought she would ever walk. With the care she was able to receive, she was able to learn to walk. If you ever start an campaign to help the disabled or mentally ill in Nigeria, please let me know. I wanna do whatever I can to help. I'm so sorry to hear about your accident, I hope that someday you will regain your ability to walk. Your unwillingness to give up shows the true strength you possess.

Yes, care is necessary. It is a vital part of gaining independence and being able to walk again or live a "normal life".
I am glad to hear that your cousin is doing great!
I thank you for your willingness to help as well. You are needed.

And this goes out to everyone who wants to help, Please keep in mind that I will definitely keep you updated if anything comes up.
I will use this Thread as a means to share things with you all.

I really don't know how I am going to go by this, but I know God will make a way, and when that way comes, You all will hear of it, and your help with be very well appreciated.
But until then, don't just sit still. Begin to do something right now. As I stated earlier, it could be just clearing the path the disabled person is moving along.
Ensuring that Your house, shops, businesses, market area is accessible to physically disabled people.

God Bless you.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Gboliwe: 6:42am On Dec 21, 2010
Even with my degree certificate,they wont even employ me!
Yes,I have an obvious disability. A bad leg! No corporate organisation wants to have me and misery is eating me up.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Gboliwe: 6:44am On Dec 21, 2010
Yes,I have an obvious disability. A bad leg! No corporate organisation wants to have me and misery is eating me up.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by InkedNerd(f): 8:07am On Dec 21, 2010
Gboliwe:

When I read what you wrote, I felt a deep sense of sadness. I can only imagine what that must be like for you. Please do stay strong. Its thins like that leads to depression. You feel like your not living to your full potential cry cry cry.

hot-angel:

Yes, care is necessary. It is a vital part of gaining independence and being able to walk again or live a "normal life".
I am glad to hear that your cousin is doing great!
I thank you for your willingness to help as well. You are needed.

And this goes out to everyone who wants to help, Please keep in mind that I will definitely keep you updated if anything comes up.
I will use this Thread as a means to share things with you all.

I really don't know how I am going to go by this, but I know God will make a way, and when that way comes, You all will hear of it, and your help with be very well appreciated.
But until then, don't just sit still. Begin to do something right now. As I stated earlier, it could be just clearing the path the disabled person is moving along.
Ensuring that Your house, shops, businesses, market area is accessible to physically disabled people.

God Bless you.

Thank you wink. Stay strong and keep us posted.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by kristonium(m): 9:33am On Dec 21, 2010
@HOT ANGEL

still waiting to hear from u!i have not yet recovered from the write up.my heart still burn.lets avoid procrastination.we must all arise and start something fast.im sure u didnt just put up that write up for self pity but to enact a change in the mindset of Nigerians.i sense silent revolution in the making!contact immediately using the id above.WAITING PASSIONATELY!

Yours full of Passion for a Change!
kristonium
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by slamjam: 12:50pm On Dec 21, 2010
Thanks Hot Angel for creating this thread.

I am physically disabled too and I want to do something to help disabled people in Nigeria. I don't know where to start ans I would like ideas to help in any way possible. I don't live in Nigeria. Since the middle of this year I have been wanting to help out disabled people in Nigeria and I would like to work with others too to help.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by aceman(m): 1:03pm On Dec 21, 2010
Access Rights page on facebook is a meeting place for people seeking to create awareness for access challenges for the physically handicapped in Nigeria. Search for Access Rights on Facebook or directly http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=118000341557708
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by graciousme(f): 7:12pm On Dec 21, 2010
Nice article,am also physically challenged too.as a result of road accident leading to spinal cord injury.for others who read and acknowledged your piece,they really might not know what it feels like to be physically challenged in nigeria.the physical inability is a life changing problem on its own,but living in nigeria is double the pain of being on a wheelchair.people think upside down when they come in contact with physically challenged people.it makes me wonder if they need their legs to think right,or do we need legs to operate our bank account,do we need our legs to function before we are accorded the respect,love and understanding that should be shown to us?

i can go on and on about living in nigeria and being physically challenged,life is short and beautiful like you said.am living positively and will continue doing so,when you have JESUS you've got all the legs you need,

chao

kemioladipo@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by aljharem(m): 7:31pm On Dec 21, 2010
graciousme:

Nice article,am also physically challenged too.as a result of road accident leading to spinal cord injury.for others who read and acknowledged your piece,they really might not know what it feels like to be physically challenged in nigeria.the physical inability is a life changing problem on its own,but living in nigeria is double the pain of being on a wheelchair.people think upside down when they come in contact with physically challenged people.it makes me wonder if they need their legs to think right,or do we need legs to operate our bank account,do we need our legs to function before we are accorded the respect,love and understanding that should be shown to us?

i can go on and on about living in nigeria and being physically challenged,life is short and beautiful like you said.am living positively and will continue doing so,when you have JESUS you've got all the legs you need,

chao

kemioladipo@yahoo.com

words

God bless you

keep been strong
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 5:46am On Dec 22, 2010
Just look at this.

The turn out is amazing already.

I am more than glad that you all have chosen to read and reply to this piece.

graciousme:

chao

kemioladipo@yahoo.com

I am glad you are living a positive life. The Lord will continue to strengthen you.
I understand what you mean by most people will not understand the level of this problem. That is why I chose to point out some of the obvious problems associated with physical disability in Nigeria.

It will be another thing entirely to start going into things such as Urinary catherization kits, suppositories for fecal elimination, and every other deep and real issues people with physical disabilities have to deal with.
Let's get the communities attention first with the changes that can be made in the mean while, such as roads, buildings and so on, and then, by God's grace, other changes will happen. Like the government supplying individuals with catherization kits and so on.

kristonium:

@HOT ANGEL

still waiting to hear from u!i have not yet recovered from the write up.my heart still burn.lets avoid procrastination.we must all arise and start something fast.im sure u didnt just put up that write up for self pity but to enact a change in the mindset of Nigerians.i sense silent revolution in the making!contact immediately using the id above.WAITING PASSIONATELY!

Yours full of Passion for a Change!
kristonium

I will send you an email, and we can go from there. Thanks. Hopefully something happens from this.

Gboliwe:

Oh lord. This is what I am talking about.
The Lord will give you strength and the ability to carry on. Change MUST happen, so that people like you will be given a chance. You have the requirements!
You went to school.
If you studied banking, Nothing said you need legs to be a banker!

slamjam:

Thanks Hot Angel for creating this thread.

I am physically disabled too and I want to do something to help disabled people in Nigeria. I don't know where to start ans I would like ideas to help in any way possible. I don't live in Nigeria. Since the middle of this year I have been wanting to help out disabled people in Nigeria and I would like to work with others too to help.
I also don't live in Nigeria, and this is the main reason I decided to start something by means of internet. If I was IN Nigeria, I would love to go places and try to get people to help out.
I really also, don't know exactly what I can do right now. Awareness and endorsements to organization who are already working on this sort of project is the main goal right now.
And a change in the hearts of people towards disability.

---
When anything happens, I'll be sure to inform you all. I Will keep in touch with this Thread.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Gboliwe: 7:19am On Dec 22, 2010
Did you say bank?thats the last place that'l take a physically changed girl.
They'l rather go for a silly but sexy school leaver than take me a disabled business administration degree holder!
Wicked world
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by Gboliwe: 7:21am On Dec 22, 2010
They'l rather go for a silly but sexy school leaver than take me a disabled business administration degree holder!
Wicked world
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by InkedNerd(f): 7:22am On Dec 22, 2010
Gboliwe:

Wicked world

cry cry cry
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by IboMan1(m): 3:34pm On Dec 22, 2010
I totally feel you on this and I appreciate a whole lot that you could share
your story with us.
I recall with gratitude to God my story from 3years ago.

I was vibrant , high flying, had 3jobs that kept me busy, excited about life and making money.
I had just started executing my plans to start up another business that would see me going to
dubai,USA and other countries and it happened.

An auto accident along Ijebu Ode /Ibadan express way that saw me paralysed and on my back in hopital for more than 3months.
I cannot begin to explain how it feels to be confined to a bed. Not been able to raise your head because of pain nor your arms nor legs because you just could not move them.I am humbled today by a Mothers love , my Mother. She stuck with me,those months sleeping on the hospital floor. She received so much insults from the nurses , matrons but she kept on taking it just because she wanted to see me better and the fact that I couldn’t be moved much. You see I had brocken my back bone and the bone was resting on the spinal cord, i had also broken my hip bone, and fractured my ribs. Believe me this is the definition of pain.

The Doctors say that my case was just a miracle.I walk with a stick and I still have foot drop. That means I need braces to walk.
But you see there a number of places I cannot go to. Some banks will not allow me into the banking hall.
I cannot get out of my house and into a bus on the street. I cannot go to busy areas because I might just get pushed down. That is the same even worse for people that do not have the convenience of a car and a driver.

I want everyone in this position to keep believing in yourself and say yes I can. You can do everything you set your mind to. The trauma of the accident rears its head sometimes but I dont let it put me down.
Elizabeth is Strong and I encourage her to keep at it. I am back at work. Though its more of a managerial state. I don’t carry PC’s like before. I more confined to desktop duties but like Liz I know the sun is up and I am smiling I am going to be totally restored.

Now what I experienced in the hospital caused me to give a speech at the teaching hospital . Some claimed they didnt remember my case .I faulted the nurses and doctors not just because of how I was treated but how others were treated. I would wake my mum to attend to a patient in a general ward because he/she was crying and needed assistance and some nurses would turn a deaf ear. Some nurses will manhandle the patients. We need to be our brothers’ keeper.
Re: Disability Awareness In Nigeria by IboMan1(m): 3:38pm On Dec 22, 2010
Hot Angel . I hope to do something with you for humanity anything. No matter how small I'd like to give back something
cheers cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe / Hoodlums Set Ogun Monarch's Palace On Fire. / We Should All Be Feminist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.