Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,105 members, 7,807,333 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Why Are Nigerians Too Fond Of Foreign Things? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Nigerians Too Fond Of Foreign Things? (680 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Crazy About Enemies / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? / Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Too Fond Of Foreign Things? by Nektar(f): 8:29am On Dec 20, 2010
On a daily bases i used to see a lot of Nigerians most especially bus drivers and motorcyclist displaying the national flag of another country, some wl even exclude Nigerian flag and display an ordinary cameroun,ghana or even angolan flag in place of theirs.i hv bn wondering what's d reason for this.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Fond Of Foreign Things? by InkedNerd(f): 9:23am On Dec 20, 2010
lol, good question.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Fond Of Foreign Things? by Nektar(f): 12:57pm On Dec 20, 2010
Seriously,am amazed that a Nigerian wl prefer to wear a shoe made in guinea that Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Too Fond Of Foreign Things? by InkedNerd(f): 2:40am On Dec 21, 2010
It's really is amazing. Some of use for whatever reason refuse to let go of the colonialist influences. For example, my mom went back to Nigeria in November and she brought lots of stuff with her to give to people. She had clothes and shoes for a cousin of mine. While trying to give him the clothes and shoes, she realized that the shoes didn't fit and tried to collect it from my aunt [my cousin's mother]. Despite the fact that the shoes didn't fit, my aunt still wanted the shoes and my mom asked her what's the point of having shoes if they don't fit. My mom then told her that they would go someone and buy some shoes before she left Nigeria and my aunt refused and continued to insist on having those shoes simply because they were from the US. In my opinion, this belief on everything foreign being good is part of a deep rooted inferior complex--from the way we style our hair to the way we speak. It quite sad if you ask me.

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Christ In Egypt! / Jos Pple Are Some Of The Coolest Nigerians Ever! / Can Someone Translate It To English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.