Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,960 members, 7,799,255 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth (6238 Views)

Photos Of Alamieyeseigha On Life Support Before His Death / ‘Alamieyeseigha Was On Life Support Before Death’ / Ojukwu On Life Support And In Critical Condition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by ASANIGBO(m): 6:00am On Dec 22, 2010
Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu

DOUBTS over the health of former warlord Chief Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu were cleared yesterday.

He is put on an artificial breathing machine at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH), Enugu, Chief Medical Director (CMD) Dr Anthony Mbah said.

Ojukwu may be flown abroad before the end of this week, it was learnt.

Efforts are being made to stabilise him before he is flown to either South Africa or Egypt for intensive medical attention.

Security is heavy within the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the hospital where doctors are battling to save the Ikemba Nnewi’s wife. His son, Emeka Ojukwu (Jnr), and a former chairman of Nnewi North Local Government Area, Mr. Azuka Okwuosa, were at the ICU reception unit yesterday. So were other relatives of the former Biafra chief.

Mbah told reporters that a team of consultants led by Prof Vincent Ike, a consultant cardiologist, was treating Ojukwu whom he said was gradually regaining consciousness.

Said Mba: “He was brought to the accident and emergency department of this hospital in an unconscious state last Sunday. The blood pressure was quite low and he was not making enough urine. Upon arrival, consultants started administering treatment on him immediately. Right now, I can say the blood pressure has stabilised and he is making enough urine, though his level of consciousness has not improved greatly but efforts are in top gear to fly him abroad.

“As a hospital, we have already provided transport oxygen and we are updating his medical certificate every moment in order to get ready for his rapid evacuation.

“The opinion of the medical team working on him is that he has a stroke attack and as I’m speaking, he is on a ventilator, which is an artificial breathing machine, just to help his breathing because he was breathing excessively when he was brought here. For now, we have evidence that the oxygen saturation is okay. I also have it on good authority that the family is thinking of getting a flying ambulance to take him away.”

President Goodluck Jonathan had last Friday visited Ojukwu at home. Though, he came with the five southeast governors to the residence of the former warlord, only the president was allowed to see Ojukwu in his room, upstairs. The President was in Enugu to inaugurate the extended Akanu Ibiam Airport’s runway.

There had been conflicting reports over Ojukwu’s health.

His wife, Bianca, who admitted that her husband is ill, denied that he was rushed to UNTH. She said he is being treated in his Enugu home.

The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) - controlled Anambra State government also said yesterday that Ojukwu was not hospitalised.

Mrs. Ojukwu, visibly angry yesterday over the reports of the hospitalisation of her husband, said: “He has been ill. His last public outing was the burial of (APGA national chair) Chief Victor Umeh’s mother.”

She added that Ojukwu had not gone outside Enugu for the past two weeks.

“His health has been bad for some time; no doubt about that. His ability to struggle to survive shows the kind of strong will that he has. But, definitely, he was not rushed to the hospital as an in-patient,” claimed Mrs Ojukwu.

She said President Jonathan and Vice-President Namadi Sambo were at their home last week to cheer up Ojukwu, adding that other VIPs had been visiting.

At Ojukwu’s home yesterday, Deputy Governor of Anambra State Mr. Emeka Sibudu, was ushered upstairs.

Sibudu told reporters that he was there to “see the APGA leader and give him some pep talk”.

Chief Press Secretary to Anambra State Governor Mike Udah said: “All I will tell you is that the wife knows better. She is the only one that can tell you the true position. If Ojukwu is being hospitalised, we should be the first to know.”

But the Public Relations Officer of the UNTH Mr. Cyril Keleze told our correspondent that Ojukwu was brought to the hospital at about 5.35 pm on Monday and was taken to the intensive care unit.

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/22443.html

Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by sweetguy10(m): 11:47am On Dec 22, 2010
Warlord Indeed , see him bear bear grin grin
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:12pm On Dec 22, 2010
hmmn, gradually, the dinosaurs are becoming extinct.

now for the rest of the Hausa/fulani tyrannosauroses to follow suit, u can fill in the Gap

Things must change, the failed generation must give way
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by OnyeBabe1(f): 1:28pm On Dec 22, 2010
if i could i would, why should people use their ego against others.
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by kulutempa: 1:41pm On Dec 22, 2010
I am Yoruba and I am disgusted by the comments some of you guys have made about this man who rightly or wrongly stood up to be counted when push came to shove. If truth be said, he has more balls than many of you would have in a thousand lifetimes.
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by Ericology(m): 1:48pm On Dec 22, 2010
kulutempa:

I am Yoruba and I am disgusted by the comments some of you guys have made about this man who rightly or wrongly stood up to be counted when push came to shove.  If truth be said, he has more balls than many of you would have in a thousand lifetimes.

Did nt know we still have people who think with their brains instead of the ethnic artificial brains, GOD BLESS U, Ikemba will survive
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by paule: 1:50pm On Dec 22, 2010
God please revive him, let the death that wish to kill him take other past corrupt leaders. The man who saw in the 60s what the south is seeing now
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by niceprof: 2:11pm On Dec 22, 2010
greatman u will not die.arguably the only nationalist nigeria will ever produce ,who stood and fought for his people.we the sons and daugthers of biafraland will live to c ur dream come true,dead or alive ,ur our hero.
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by Guyman02: 2:14pm On Dec 22, 2010
I wish him quick recovery. He is to the Igbos what Awolowo is to the Yorubas and Sadauna to the Hausas.
He stood up to be counted among his people. While the pogrom and massacre against the Igbos was taking place in the North, he did something extra ordinary, by getting civilians of Northern origin into trains back to the North without harming them and saving thousands of lives.

Like him or hate him; he will always be adored by the Igbos. The other time when armed robbers accosted him on Enugu - Onitsha expressway, one of them shouted 'Okwanu Ojukwu oo!' (its Ojukwu) the quickly cleared the way and were returning items collected from motorists to their owners at the scene; thats the influence of the Ikemba on the people, that even criminals rever him, not to mention good people.
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by crackhouse(m): 2:17pm On Dec 22, 2010
ojukwu u will survive in jesus name. Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by juman(m): 2:37pm On Dec 22, 2010
Great man and beloved leader, I wish you quick recovery despite that you are an old man.
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by Nobody: 2:44pm On Dec 22, 2010
4llerbuntu:

Things must change, the failed generation must give way

for another failed generation to take over shey cool
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by OchiAgha2(m): 2:44pm On Dec 22, 2010
I am sickened by some of the comments that I have been reading. When has standing up for your people when they were being massacred like chickens wrong? This man stood up for the Igbo when no one else did. And that is why he is the most loved Igbo leader that has ever lived. When this man passes, there will not be a dry eye in Igboland. The man had given up so much in the defense of his people. Do not mock our leaders. It is not right, nor do we take kindly to that.
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by figfxng: 2:56pm On Dec 22, 2010
May God Revive Him A Man who Saw Ahead Of Time and Was able to Fight for South South and South East Future. Had it been our Fathers Knew with him They would Have Fight More with him so that We will not be Suffering what we are Suffering Now.
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by ROCKJ1(m): 3:10pm On Dec 22, 2010
Ojukwu is a great man, i wish u quick recovery sir, your legacy will live forever.
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by edoyad(m): 3:17pm On Dec 22, 2010
Some me you are real cruel, but that being said some me you also have to be more rational. People grow old and die every where in the world, just because you die doesn't mean you won or lost, it's the ideals you stood for. May be when Africans realise this we'll stop existing like chimpanzees
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by asamuel: 3:32pm On Dec 22, 2010
haba, who go support ibb if ojukwu die? i dey laugh ooo!!!
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by mrperfect(m): 3:46pm On Dec 22, 2010
Notthing will happen to you Sir. In jesus name.
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by aljharem11(m): 3:51pm On Dec 22, 2010
mrperfect:

Not will happen to you Sir. In jesus name.

Amen cheesy
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by onyeokwu: 3:55pm On Dec 22, 2010
we igbos re praying for you sir you will life and see biafra come true
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by Sweetnecta: 3:55pm On Dec 22, 2010
The old man is better looking than his hard look of the 1960s.

We should wish him good health, even though everyone will die.

No one can predict the outcome of any event. The future is in the Hand of Almighty Allah.

Ojukwu was a strong man in his days. You know strength when you see it. He wasnt cunning. He was straight forward. His people first. After all he was Igbo before he was Nigerian.

I wish him good health and guidance of Almighty Allah.
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by holydante(m): 4:38pm On Dec 22, 2010
alj harem1:

i believe u do not have to curse anyone here

he has his opinion just like u have urs

thank you

Alhaji, opinion are like a*s*ses and we all have one. I wish in the spirit of free speech, semid4lyfe can go to Nkwo Nnwei market and make that his opinion public undecided undecided

All the same, your point is noted
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by diphor: 4:39pm On Dec 22, 2010
I left this Nairaland for Facebook because i thought most people here are not matured.I just wanted to check again.With what i have read on this topic,people need to grow up.
This is Nigeria and we should not rain abuses on ourselves.Ojukwu did what he thought was right (and he might be right or wrong) but he wanted to fight for good leadership (which we still have till date). I do not see the future but i would have concluded if he was wrong or right if we've had a tru leadership.

We should not condemn other peoples opinion or rain curses on one another.let's in 1 voice fight for good leadership pls.
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by aljharem11(m): 4:48pm On Dec 22, 2010
holydante:

Alhaji, opinion are like a*s*ses and we all have one. I wish in the spirit of free speech, semid4lyfe can go to Nkwo Nnwei market and make that his opinion public undecided undecided

All the same, your point is noted

thank you, in as much as we are praying that ikemeba does not leave us igbo,,, some people do not really like him

but then again who cares if they do not like him, majority of igbo like him and that's what matters
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by aljharem11(m): 4:50pm On Dec 22, 2010
diphor:

I left this Nairaland for Facebook because i thought most people here are not matured.I just wanted to check again.With what i have read on this topic,people need to grow up.
This is Nigeria and we should not rain abuses on ourselves.Ojukwu did what he thought was right (and he might be right or wrong) but he wanted to fight for good leadership (which we still have till date). I do not see the future but i would have concluded if he was wrong or right if we've had a tru leadership.

We should not condemn other peoples opinion or rain curses on one another.let's in 1 voice fight for good leadership pls.

i support that, but also we should have respect for other peoples opinion and leaders
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by hakanai(m): 4:57pm On Dec 22, 2010
Mr Ojukwu may God almighty grant you better health!I am from the North and my prayers are with you sir! get well soon. sad
This naija people sef na wah! haba person no well and you continue to wish him bad things.really sad the kind of wicked people that live amongst us.Especially in NL. angry
Above all God is greater than you and you should also know your life too will definitely come to an end someday. undecided
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by JIGHU(m): 4:59pm On Dec 22, 2010
All of You shouting your lungs out in support of Ojukwu should go and read 'Biafran Revolution' written by Alexander Madiebo . Please Ojukwu a saint? wat is the difference between Ojukwu and IBB or OBJ? it is easy for you guys to wish IBB or OBJ dead but not Ikemba shey? bloody hypocrites!!!!!!!!!
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by Dentale(m): 7:00pm On Dec 22, 2010
^^^ Nice one!!! grin
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by pslm23(f): 7:05pm On Dec 22, 2010
It is never a good thing to wish evil and death on anybody. Ikemba is an important person in the Igbo community and a thousand years from now, his name will still be mentioned in the history of Igbos.

I'm only 36 and wasn't even born during the Biafran era but my father served in the military and my mom was a nurse on the biafran side too (that's how she met my father). All I've heard since I was a child was how great a man Ikemba was for trying to liberate his people. When I think of him I think of MLK. He also tried to fight for the rights of black people in the US.

So, my thing is, some people might not like him or respect what he did but that does not call for death wishes. I pray he pulls through but if God decides that his time is up then so be it. His name will still be spoken for many many years to come. When you talk about the history of Nigeria, believe me, Ikemba's name will be mentioned.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by Panzastrip(m): 7:21pm On Dec 22, 2010
Gbam
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by jason123: 7:28pm On Dec 22, 2010
may GOD help him feel better soon!!!! IKEMBA 1 OF NDIGBO GBURU GBURU!!!
Re: Ojukwu On Life Support Machine At Unth by Theblessed(f): 7:28pm On Dec 22, 2010
[size=18pt]Well, it's human to get ill, isn't it?

And he who has never been ill, let him rejoice on hearing about Ojukwu's illness and after that, I'll suggest you and members of your own family never, ever get ill because if you do, that would be the end.  

It will be silly to mock others misfortune else, your own story would be told next, as their misfortune would be waiting for you, on your own domot.  How about that So, keep rejoicing!

As for Ikemba, we are all rooting for you to get well quick but remember whatever happens Ndigbo loves you, son - and will always love you!!!

Unfortunately, CVA is a terrible illness that can affect anyone, any time - children, babies and mostly the elderly but with God all things are possible - you will be well again.

We love you and we are all praying for you!!! Get well soon, Ikemba Ndigbo! kiss kiss kiss kiss
[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Sentences Boko Haram's Ex-spokesperson To 3 Years In Prison / Lagos State Orders 60 Ferries / POWER DISTRIBUTION: We Won’t Allow Firm To Operate -Edo, Ekiti, Delta Govtss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.