Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:38 AM

The New VAT Rate Of 10% - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The New VAT Rate Of 10% (6038 Views)

Current Exchange Rate Of Naira To Ghana Cedis / How Much Is Black Market Rate Of Pound To Naira And Dollar To Naira Today? / What Is The Exchange Rate Of The British Pound To Nigerian Naira Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by lasee(f): 7:55am On Jun 08, 2007
let's wait and see.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by romeo(m): 11:06am On Jun 08, 2007
oboatioko:

wo u people understand VAT to be? its a way to make sellers of goods and companies that offer service to pay a percentage of what they earn to government/ In developed countries - thus can be as hig as 17.5% - e.g. in the UK. This is apart from employee tax, emloyee NI which is 30% of whatever you ear - wether u like it or not.

How many people talking in here pay tax to government? I know what people will say - they say u can't compare developed countries to Nigeria - the same goes - don't compare developed countries to Nigeria in terms of economy and infrastructural development. Take UK for examle, what mineral resources does the UK have? none - yet they r rich - rich because of the effective tax system and the moeny gotten from tax, everything is taxed, council tax, NI tax, even TV license - u pay a license fee for each TV you own - yes yearly, do people know these? Yet, you want Nigeria to be good as developed countries, but u compalin when the governemnt is seeking more revenue to make things good -

People will say - the money goes to private pockets, does that stop the government from putting the tax in place?

i am glad to know that some nigerians are still wise enough to know the importance of tax

i was going to point out that of tv the other day but it escaped my mind and i am happy u did that

In spain here, i am paying tax for my usage of the waste disposal system on the street and every household pays that and thus making it possible for the local council to have enough fund to clean everywhere effectively

anything at all you buy has a certain percentage of VAT on it ranging from medications to bus fare, infact everything is taxed
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by ryu11(m): 11:39am On Jun 08, 2007
How many people talking in here pay tax to government?

@oboatioko

Please, Maryland Yankee? say what you know. A good portion of nairalanders pay tax (income) 12%. it's taken even b4 it gets to you. and several other stuff get deducted too in the name of health insurance, pension scheme etc. the long and short is we done get to see the development all that money is supposed to be used for.

so please come home and work for one year first!!! thats if you don't die of frustration b4 then. those of us still alive (suffering n smiling), are so because we've developed a thick skin.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by denex: 11:40am On Jun 08, 2007
@Romeo

per capita income has never been calculated daily and will never be calculated daily.
If the daily income of citizen is calculated, it will be named something else.
And if at all daily earnings of Nigerians is calculated, it will be
$1,400/365
= $3.80

you're nothing but a block headed ignorant student. Is $3.80 spent on average by every Nigerian the same thing as less than $1.

Per capita income in Nigeria is $1,400. Take it or leave it, or check the internet, or go and kill yourself.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by romeo(m): 12:29pm On Jun 08, 2007
romeo:

eh mm teacher no teach nonsense here abeg!!!

"$1 per capita income are calculated on daily basis and many Nigerian families live on less than that"

and i don't know where you got your economic ideas from sad sad, because in Europe the only place you get tax-free products are in the departure halls of international airports, anything else you acquire outside there has a 16% vat on it especially in Spain where i live

teacher if you read very well you'll understand that i was not telling the meaning of "per capita income", to my understanding per capita income is money generated by a nation within one year and if shared by it's people equally and Nigeria has per capita income of $560 *my source* http://www.finfacts.ie/biz10/globalworldincomepercapita.htm

and i still maintain that many of our families still live on less than $1 on daily basis

na you be block blocked head cheesy cheesy
just go and die jare
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by bugado(m): 5:34pm On Jun 08, 2007
IS NA HARD LIFE WEY WE DEY LIVE 4 NAIJA. IMAGINE VAT EVEN PEOPLE UNDER18 IN NIGERIA NOW PAY TAX. HABA IS A PITY THAT OBJ WANTS GOD TO VISIT HIM THE WAY HE VISITED ABACHA. OBJ LEFT A VERY BAD LEGACY. THE NEW GOVT SHOULD TAKE NOTE. MY FELLOW NAIRALANDERS WHATZ HAPPENING
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by mosho4real(m): 6:46pm On Jun 08, 2007
If not that obasanjo is a greedy man he wouldn't have increased vat a day b4 his handing over, well to me is just heartless and i know dat nemesis will catch him one day.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by Nobody: 9:41am On Jun 10, 2007
Asking Nigerians to pay VAT is like asking a yam farmer to store his yams where yam beetles frequent, or storing a crayfish where rats can get to it. Go figure, I personally will not hand over a dime to an irresponsible Government, what have they done with the oil revenues? Why should taxes be any different?. . .The tax thing is even more personal because it's basically handing over the fruits of your labour to a Government who will not use it towards anything good, very much like storing your yams where yam beetles can get to it.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by denex: 9:23pm On Jun 10, 2007
@Romeo

You're dull and you're doing it on purpose. You went to quote a 2004/2005 deposition just to prove your ignorance. What is all that for? When you're wrong, you're wrong. Don't go and cook outdated facts just to prove your fallacious statements. Type: per capita nigeria 2007

search that on google. I don't see any more reason to educate you. Afterall, nobody is paying me for it.

@Donzman

the way they do it here, we don't have a way to avoid the taxes because the producers pay the taxes to the government then they increase the prices of their products.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by otokx(m): 10:00pm On Jun 10, 2007
Its a pity for the common man; this our democracy has not really helped them.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by Seun(m): 10:37pm On Jun 10, 2007
The West African bullshit explanation is ridiculous. The other countries should reduce their taxes instead of expecting us to increase ours. Why must Nigerians be oppressed as much as other West Africans?
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by romeo(m): 10:57pm On Jun 10, 2007
denex:

@Romeo

You're dull and you're doing it on purpose. You went to quote a 2004/2005 deposition just to prove your ignorance. What is all that for? When you're wrong, you're wrong. Don't go and cook outdated facts just to prove your fallacious statements. Type: per capita nigeria 2007

search that on google. I don't see any more reason to educate you. Afterall, nobody is paying me for it.

@Donzman

the way they do it here, we don't have a way to avoid the taxes because the producers pay the taxes to the government then they increase the prices of their products.

intelligient man!!! give me a link of world bank or imf with that information and i'll rest my case
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by uchetobi(f): 10:14am On Jun 11, 2007
• The companies are exploiting us. 5% increase does not justify the new rates e.g Gala N40 before. It means Vat was 5/105 * 40 = N1.91. Cost of Gala (without VAT) 100/ 105 *40 = N38.09
Vat @ 10% = 10/100 * 38.09 = 3.81
New price of gala (plus new VAT ) = 3.81 + 38.09 = N41.9.
So why is gala going for N50 Why are they rounding it up? When we ought to be using coins. MTN , Celtel and others are guilty also.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by denex: 11:17am On Jun 11, 2007
@Romeo

So you refuse to search by yourself abi? Why is it that everybody just wants to be spoonfed in their own dining room? Okay O! Don't worry. If you no know road I go show you. Ordinary: per capita nigeria 2007 you cannot search on google?

www7.nationalgeographic.ngm/0702/feature3

www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.html

If you like accept it, if you like don't. I know that I can take the horse to the river, but I can't force you to drink.

And by the way, don't you know that minimum wage is N7500/ month? In a year, that would give you N90,000. Covert to dollars dividing by 127, that's $708 minimum wage annually. Now divide by 365 = $1.95
this is the earnings per day of the poorest Nigerians. Is it less than $1?
Then let alone you want me to agree when somebody just blurts out: per capita income in Nigeria is less than $1!

I stand by my word. Per capita income in Nigeria is $1,400.

@topic. Like I said before, let's pay VAT on vattable goods only.

@uchetobi

you see, this is what the Nigerian consumer doesn't want to consider. The fact that these producers are using us. People do not even consider that the companies can bear the burden of the tax. They just want to unleash everything on the consumer.

Imagine the case of UAC catapulting the price of gala to N50. Despite the fact that they are making more than N20 on gala, a tax of N2 comes in, and not oly do they pass on the whole burden to the consumer, they also see this as and opportunity to add another N8 profit.
So now, with the help of this tax of N2, they are making a profit of N28.

Consumers don't want to face the true enemy. Everybody wants to use government as a frustration pinhada. Okay, carry on.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by romeo(m): 11:31am On Jun 11, 2007
denex:

@Romeo

So you refuse to search by yourself abi? Why is it that everybody just wants to be spoonfed in their own dining room? Okay O! Don't worry. If you no know road I go show you. Ordinary: per capita nigeria 2007 you cannot search on google?

www7.nationalgeographic.ngm/0702/feature3

www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.html

If you like accept it, if you like don't. I know that I can take the horse to the river, but I can't force you to drink.

And by the way, don't you know that minimum wage is N7500/ month? In a year, that would give you N90,000. Covert to dollars dividing by 127, that's $708 minimum wage annually. Now divide by 365 = $1.95
this is the earnings per day of the poorest Nigerians. Is it less than $1?
Then let alone you want me to agree when somebody just blurts out: per capita income in Nigeria is less than $1!

I stand by my word. Per capita income in Nigeria is $1,400.

@topic. Like I said before, let's pay VAT on vattable goods only.

you are such a dumb ass denex, i only asked for world bank link or IMF link and you are giving me CIA and national geographics links. just make use of your brain denex
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by romeo(m): 12:06pm On Jun 11, 2007
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by denex: 2:53pm On Jun 11, 2007
@romeo

your brain is made up of wool.
Na so you love world bank/IMF links wey you no gree post one? Why did you post a 2004/2005 page called finfacts.

So if world bank has not compiled a list nations' per capita incomes, should I go and manufacture the link?

I told you I can take a horse to the river but I can't force you to drink. Gba!
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by romeo(m): 3:42pm On Jun 11, 2007
@denex
sorry if you can not bring it up then shut up and don't make arguments based on rumours and if your brain is so sound and working you could've known the importance of VAT, your ignorance is so immense that it can't be measured
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by denex: 4:26pm On Jun 11, 2007
You did not see where I said people should pay VAT where it is due abi? I know the importance of VAT. What I don't know is whether you know the importance of common sense.

I said divide minimum wage of N7,500 by 30 days
that will give you N250 which converts to about $2. So where do you get your own less than $1 per capita income in Nigeria?

Bloody ignoramus.
Na you dey earn less than $1 annually. You, in fact, I don't know what to call you.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by hbrednic: 4:30pm On Jun 11, 2007
@romeo
just render apology to denex,show him some luv cos his is right.
why is it difficult for u to agree when u are wrong.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by romeo(m): 9:24pm On Jun 11, 2007
@denex
what do you mean people should pay VAT where it's due? everything here in Europe is taxed and that is exactly how they make their money, but i can see you are not still learning and i am out of here
minimum wage in naija is 7,500? what is the un-employment rate in Nigeria? noise maker tell me the number of people working in Nigeria

denex:

Na you dey earn less than $1 annually. You, in fact, I don't know what to call you.
don't go near my earnings young man because i can feed you for a life time and you can call me what you like
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by denex: 9:57pm On Jun 11, 2007
I didn't think you would reply. I thought you were the Nigerian deportee that died in transit from Spain. You can feed me? You that cannot even show yourself in the open?

And why do you always concentrate on the bad? You didn't ask of those working two jobs. You asked of unemployment rate. You didn't ask for those earning Maximum Wage, you asked for unemployment rate. You will definitely think negatively because your brain has a large minus sign attached to it.

Bloody deportee-to-be. Don't come and start working for minimum wage. You're in Libya desecrating the environment.

@topic

we should try to patronise the companies that bear some of this new tax burden, and avoid those companies that pass on the whole burden to the consumer. Definitely, Gala by UAC has to go and definitely Mr. Biggs has to go with it. We have to start letting these companies know that if they don't do us well, we won't do them well. Can you imagine Gala of N40 becoming N50 because of N2 tax?!
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by romeo(m): 10:36pm On Jun 11, 2007
denex:

I didn't think you would reply. I thought you were the Nigerian deportee that died in transit from Spain. You can feed me? You that cannot even show yourself in the open?

And why do you always concentrate on the bad? You didn't ask of those working two jobs. You asked of unemployment rate. You didn't ask for those earning Maximum Wage, you asked for unemployment rate. You will definitely think negatively because your brain has a large minus sign attached to it.

Bloody deportee-to-be. Don't come and start working for minimum wage. You're in Libya desecrating the environment.

summary = low mentality
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by denex: 5:12am On Jun 12, 2007
Well, at least you're putting in some effort at learning maths. I really should give you some credit.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by romeo(m): 7:15am On Jun 12, 2007
i am happy u're learning fast
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by florishn(f): 2:06pm On Jun 12, 2007
imagine biscuit is now 7.00 well what they have done l don't think they can change it let us pray that our social amenities in Nigerian will be OK imagine where l reside they give us light once in awhile if ran fall all the wire go fall with the rain am fed up l know by God grace everything is going to change for good

Nike
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by dgb4(m): 10:30am On Jun 13, 2007
On the 1st page of this thread somebody said that very soon pure water will rise from N5 to N10 whereas in Port Harcourt, pure water has been sold N10 since the past two years. Very soon it will cost 15 or 20 naira.
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by Guse: 11:14am On Jun 13, 2007
Even MR BIGGS has joined the list. A triple delight cake sold for N300 is now N400. Dont they need fresh graduates to calculate the 10%vat increase?
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by Guse: 11:15am On Jun 13, 2007
Even MR BIGGS has joined the list. A triple delight cake sold for N300 is now N400. Dont they need fresh graduates to calculate the 10%vat increase?
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by DisGuy: 2:59pm On Jun 13, 2007
• The companies are exploiting us. 5% increase does not justify the new rates e.g Gala N40 before. It means Vat was 5/105 * 40 = N1.91. Cost of Gala (without VAT) 100/ 105 *40 = N38.09
Vat @ 10% = 10/100 * 38.09 = 3.81
New price of gala (plus new VAT ) = 3.81 + 38.09 = N41.9.
So why is gala going for N50 Why are they rounding it up? When we ought to be using coins. MTN , Celtel and others are guilty also.

na gala dey worry you? 10% in nigeria you don't need calculator, just add N10 grin

florishn:

imagine biscuit is now 7.00 well what they have done l don't think they can change it let us pray that our social amenities in Nigerian will be OK imagine where l reside they give us light once in awhile if ran fall all the wire go fall with the rain am fed up l know by God grace everything is going to change for good

na biscuit dey worry you too? yea things will surely change for good now they'll have more money to repair roads and electricty cheesy

Guse:

seems girls are looking after their meal o! abi you dey vex i know u get plenty woman, mr biggs x6 wink
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by hbrednic: 4:18pm On Jun 13, 2007
@Dis Guy
i didnt know you are a mathematician till now
so 10% means adding 10 naira. i am sorry for ur maths teacher if u had any.
na wah for you oooooh
Re: The New VAT Rate Of 10% by DisGuy: 4:36pm On Jun 13, 2007
man me, thats the nigerian calculation grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NNPC, OANDO Execute Agreement For Four Omls To Increase Reserves (photos) / Global Debt Reaches A Record $226 Trillion / How Profitable Is Okada Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.