Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,011 members, 7,806,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Plantain - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Plantain (2390 Views)

How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé / Dont Let That Over Ripe Plantain Waste / How Ripe Do You Like Your Fried Plantain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plantain by English1(f): 12:08pm On Jun 04, 2007
What else can I do with plantain? It's my boyfriend's favourite thing. I've been making do-do by just frying it in a little oil (is that right?) but I'm getting a bit bored with that. How else can I cook it?
Re: Plantain by Imani(f): 9:01pm On Jun 06, 2007
Plaintain can also boiled with the skin as well. This is usually eaten with fried eggs or a nice sauce.

If you boyfriend cooks nigerian dishes, [s]which may be unlikely as most of our men are lazy[/s], it can also be used to make porridge.

Rather than cut the plaintain round as is mostly done, i also "dice" it by cutting it into cubes. Just makes eating it more fun.
Re: Plantain by English1(f): 7:03am On Jun 07, 2007
Thank you - when you boil it with the skin do you cut it up first? And do you eat the skin?

You are right that he won't cook! angry
Re: Plantain by bluenubian(f): 7:11am On Jun 07, 2007
when u boil it with the skin, cut it into half, or 3s, and no don't eat the skin, u can also boil it without the skin. ad a little salt, u can also serve with boiled yams or potato to create some kind of variety. and yeah like imani said eat with some kind of sauce, my mom makes this killer omelet with everything including, green peppers little shrimps or boiled fish in it
Re: Plantain by Imani(f): 9:47pm On Jun 07, 2007
bluenubian:

when u boil it with the skin, cut it into half, or 3s, and no don't eat the skin, u can also boil it without the skin. ad a little salt, u can also serve with boiled yams or potato to create some kind of variety. and yeah like imani said eat with some kind of sauce, my mom makes this killer omelet with everything including, green peppers little shrimps or boiled fish in it

That must taste very nice wink
Re: Plantain by smile007: 10:31am On Jun 08, 2007
that's my favorite also smiley i like it till death.
Re: Plantain by English1(f): 4:22pm On Jun 08, 2007
That does sound nice.
Thanks everyone.

Any more suggestions? any recipes for the sauce?
Re: Plantain by ibis: 10:48am On Sep 18, 2007
stuff u can do with plantain:

boil it

was the plantain and cut it into 2 or 3 pieces
make a small incision on the side of each piece in the skin
put water with a little salt to boil in a pot
put in ur pieces and boil till soft not mussy
remove the skin and serve with sauce.

sauces include egg sauce, fish sauce or corned beef sauce.

basic for all sauces:

tomatoes blended or chopped
onions chopped
peppers (hot chilis)
oil
seasoning ie stock cubes, thyme and curry
for a traditional african flavour u cld add crayfish(dried shrimps) and ichawun i think u call it basil.

heat some oil in a pot, add onions, fry a bit, add tomatoes and chilli
fry, add ur seasoning, then u cld add either fish, egg or corned beef (or minced meat)
ready!!!

you could also remove the plantain from its skin and bake it whole in an oven. serve with peanuts (a snack) or make a pepper sauce and fry fish to go with it.
Re: Plantain by English1(f): 10:53am On Sep 18, 2007
Thank you! grin
Re: Plantain by dearfriend: 2:31pm On Oct 02, 2007
Try the unripe plantain its lovely.

Peel skin and dice in cubes, wash and boil, after a few minutes, add crayfish, cubes, dryfish or smoked fish, palmoil, onion, pepper and allow to boil for a few more minutes and then add sliced vegetable. Allow for a minute or two and bring down. Ready for eating.
Re: Plantain by cashoggy(f): 7:12pm On Oct 02, 2007
Roast/Bake it. Whatever name u call it, just remove the skin and put it in the oven till it turns light brown outside, that's booli for you. Best taken with peanuts. Best result is achieved when it's not completely ripe.

You can also thinly slice your plantain, sprinkle with salt and fry, comes out crispy and some nice snack this is. You should be familiar with that now, plantain chips tht is. Have a good day.
Re: Plantain by MasterUwem(m): 2:43pm On Nov 22, 2007
English1:

Thank you - when you boil it with the skin do you cut it up first? And do you eat the skin?

You are right that he won't cook! angry

please don't eat it with the Skin pill it off and eat the food. if you eat the skin you may eat some thing else.
Re: Plantain by PTBNaija(f): 12:21am On Nov 23, 2007
We also boil it, roast it, but it in beans. . . or very delicious, make moin-moin out of plantain rather then beans. Sooo good!

(1) (Reply)

Onions; The Silent Killer / Checkout The Amazing Health Benefits Of ‘ewedu’ Soup / 17 Years Old Boy Killed A Dolphin At a Fishing Camp In Bayelsa State (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.