Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,874 members, 7,806,502 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension (26116 Views)

My Take On 5% Telecommunications Excise Duty Suspension Approval By Woye / Presidential Aspirant Gives PDP 48 Hours To Drop Atiku, Calls For Fresh Primarie / Reverend Mbaka Blasts Atiku, Calls Him Bureau De Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by Islie: 10:18pm On Mar 17, 2020
An opposition leader, Atiku Abubakar, has called for a reduction in fuel price to help Nigerians cope with the impact of the coronavirus on the economy.

Mr Abubakar also called for the suspension of stamp duty charges collected on electronic money transfers.

The former presidential candidate stated this in a statement his office sent to PREMIUM TIMES.

“As the landing cost of Premium Motor Spirit, also known as petrol, has reduced significantly, it is strongly recommended that the government should not absorb the savings, but should pass it on to the Nigerian people by way of reducing the pump price of PMS to reflect the current prevailing market costs,” he said as part of his advice to the government on economic actions to take amidst the coronavirus.

Petrol currently sells across Nigeria at an official price of about N145 per litre. Nigeria, despite being an oil-producing country, imports almost all of its refined petroleum products.

The significant reduction in international crude oil price, from about $60 a barrel two months ago to about $30 a barrel means the landing cost of petrol to Nigeria has also reduced.

Read Mr Abubakar’s full statement below.

Nigeria Must Take Decisive Economic Action to Protect Our People from the Ravages of the Corona Virus

The coronavirus is raging in the world and not just ravaging human beings, it is also affecting economies. Nigeria is not an island onto itself, and we must take measures to protect the economic well being of our nation and people.

Every action that can be taken to ease the cost of doing business in Nigeria and reduce the cost of living, while promoting consumer confidence must be implemented.

All hands must be on deck in a multi partisan manner to ensure that Nigeria does not return to economic recession. This is possible with decisive leadership and disciplined management.

As such, I recommend that policies like the Stamp Duty on all types of accounts be temporarily suspended, until such a time as the nation’s economy has turned the tide in the fight against this virulent scourge.

Furthermore, as the landing cost of Premium Motor Spirit, also known as petrol, has reduced significantly, it is strongly recommended that the government should not absorb the savings, but should pass it on to the Nigerian people by way of reducing the pump price of PMS to reflect the current prevailing market costs.

In addition to these measures, the government is urged to request large scale industrialists and employers of labour not to disengage workers. Definitely, this scourge will affect their production and profitability. However, if they know that the government is behind them and will do all to support them, they are less likely to disengage workers.

These are extraordinary times, and we as a nation must take extraordinary measures to protect the entire nation. Nigeria is our collective home, as such, we must suppress every partisan disagreement and think and work patriotically to ensure our national survival in the midst of global uncertainty.
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/382406-coronavirus-atiku-calls-for-fuel-price-reduction-stamp-duty-suspension.html

67 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by seunlayi(m): 10:23pm On Mar 17, 2020
thanks for speaking for us this is the time Nigerians need subsidies from government. This is not the time to introduce taxes, govt should give out now. Why Stamp duties while we are still struggling to encourage cashless economy?

The USA is about giving $1000 every 2 weeks to people. This is a trying time, I m expecting our honorables to monitizies their incoming imported cars to use it to aid people in the forthcoming hard times......

Naija will be great.

Ftc dedicated to those that belive govt should rather give out to people at this time rather than collecting from the masses

Meanwhile, someone sent me the below image, if true the appropriate authority should act on it

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by GOFRONT(m): 10:27pm On Mar 17, 2020
I'm only looking for Manna d Griller...

4 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by estyvino(m): 10:29pm On Mar 17, 2020
But Atiku mostly tweet, can i trust this source?

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by chozzy: 10:30pm On Mar 17, 2020
Gbam!
Well spoken

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by Citytrend: 10:31pm On Mar 17, 2020
Hnmm. Good to hear from him again

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by globalresource: 10:31pm On Mar 17, 2020
Atiku would have handle our economy better, I think

199 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by jagaban002(m): 10:32pm On Mar 17, 2020
That stamp duty is worst , anybody send you 10,000 into your savings account 50naira is gone and those doing busness that receive multiple transfer a day . This one pass bank charges and it’s stealing by trick bu government I support ATIKU on it . That’s shit must stop

180 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by leokid866: 10:38pm On Mar 17, 2020
Lol....and the budget shortfall we are facing due to the fall in oil price should be dealt with how? If this is true he is basically asking us to take on. More debt.....I doubt even he is that stupid.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by Nobody: 12:50am On Mar 18, 2020
The good thing about atiku is that he is more sensible than buhari... Asides that, he's still a looter.. He's no different from apc...

79 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by Bigiway(m): 1:03am On Mar 18, 2020
Someone should borrow the man ear to hear .

7 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by nony43(m): 6:21am On Mar 18, 2020
Atiku would have been a better President ( I am not his fan pls) he listens and follows news all these SARS nonsense would have stopped by now if he is in power. Our Buhari doesn't want to close our borders to curb this ravaging corona virus spread, but will just without thinking twice to close our borders because of rice smuggling.

89 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by Dpharisee: 6:21am On Mar 18, 2020
MURIC and Yoluba Muslims support the stamp duty charge and fuel price remaining at N145 despite fall in import cost as long as it's their Fulani bosses that are making the decision cheesy

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by hisexcellency34: 6:21am On Mar 18, 2020
Fuel is $30 bpd yet Buhari's government is still selling to Nigerians at #145 per litre

58 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by Emmy9ite02(m): 6:22am On Mar 18, 2020
cool
Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by Nobody: 6:23am On Mar 18, 2020
atiku, na so u n obj reduce fuel money for d 8 years una take steal Nigeria money and built private universities for una selves as sitting President and vice President while all d federal universities dey on strike? thunda fire ur Cameroon yansh dere, (tnx 2 kanu) criminal and hypocrite. god punish all of una wey turn our naija upside down.

if dis is coming from better people like Wole soyinka ,and oda elder statesmen and women, i go take dem serious and dey jump dey shout nice one, not a world renown thief like atiku wey dey sposnsor different crimes for Naija because him lose election. wey dem put our nation 4 darkness come get d biggest generator selling companies while in power. Nigerians neva 4get.God punish all of una

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by Nobody: 6:23am On Mar 18, 2020
globalresource:
Atiku would have handle our economy better, I think
he would av handle ur gala-selling-family-business better.....talk 4 ur sef,supporter of thieves.

una still dey want people wey destroy una future & future of una pikin bak in power, suffer head no dey tire una 4 ds country? only in Nigeria.

if dis is coming from better people like Wole soyinka ,and oda elder statesmen and women, i go take dem serious and dey jump dey shout nice one, not a world renown thief like atiku wey dey sposnsor different crimes for Naija because him lose election. one of d people wey put our nation 4 darkness for many years come get d biggest generator selling companies while in power. Nigerians neva 4get. only pigs get short memories

25 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by ikorodureporta: 6:24am On Mar 18, 2020
deregulated products like Kerosene is still N225/litre....abegi liff d price like that. Will a reduction in price affect anything like transportation & cost of foodstuffs??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by funmike83(f): 6:24am On Mar 18, 2020
Ho
Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by free2ryhme: 6:24am On Mar 18, 2020
Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by shiki(m): 6:25am On Mar 18, 2020
Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by Babatunde40(m): 6:25am On Mar 18, 2020
The problem with Nigerians is blind hate. You will see how young Nigerians won't see the good advice being shared by this man which is for their own good but will begin to attack the man.

Before you attack Atiku, ask yourself: can Atiku conveniently afford fuel at N145? If the price is reduced to N100, won't you benefit?

I am not an Atiku fan, I just want better life for myself.

116 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by noblealuu: 6:25am On Mar 18, 2020
This is a step in the right direction. Anything to ameliorate the hardships on the populace is a welcome development.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by zainabicy: 6:25am On Mar 18, 2020
No matter what Atiku says / does, he is never going to rule this country.

Insha Allah.

He should face forward and face his wives abeg.

We need fresh young president abeg.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by BF69BF: 6:26am On Mar 18, 2020
When I asked this on my post yesterday, many people just read and pass.

Many doesn't even know their right, all they know is to rant on social media with their rickety phones, go back to bed and continue from where they stopped the day before, crazy citizens with crazy leaders.

Walai, we deserve the kind of leaders we've got.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by DenreleDave(m): 6:26am On Mar 18, 2020
OK atiku

God bless yoruba nation.. Holder's of almost 12 Grammy awards..
Dominate entertainment industry, dominate movie industry. Nobel nko, baba soyinka get am.
Dominate sport.. Joshua, Israel
Yet some people hate us for no wrong.. Just like they hated Jesus for no sake.... Yet they are planning in masses to come hustle in Southwest states... Their daughter even change their names to yoruba names Cox of the shame in their names
They can't even bear their traditional name on the international stage, they rather change their name to English name start forming posh, fake posh

Like them like Arab
Like west like Europe and Americans
Abeg let's avoid hate...

Click on like if you are proud to be a yoruba
Omoluabi

If you are angry, pls don't quote me.
Zubby If you are seeing this, tell us your traditional name and stop bearing self named zubby Micheal

We even own nairaland grin

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by GeorgeTheCoder: 6:27am On Mar 18, 2020
Correction: Alhaji Atiku Abubakar is not an oppsition leader. He is The Leader of the opposition

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by AnyibestDede(m): 6:27am On Mar 18, 2020
ok
Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by SCORPION1902: 6:28am On Mar 18, 2020
Atiku should go and sleep.

Even if petrol is sold at 750 naira per letter,
We will still buy it.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by cRobo: 6:28am On Mar 18, 2020
Man when get sense

I won't say a word

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by illiteratepmb: 6:28am On Mar 18, 2020
Great tal!
Re: Coronavirus: Atiku Calls For Fuel Price Reduction, Stamp Duty Suspension by SaintHilary(m): 6:29am On Mar 18, 2020
Felixamos:
The good thing about atiku is that he is more sensible than buhari... Asides that, he's still a looter.. He's no different from apc...
At least he'll loot and keep change for the masses unlike the dullard that will soon test positive for Covid19

23 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Army, Police Fight Over Rescue Of Abducted Islamiya Students In Katsina / Marte Borno Attack: Hundreds Trapped As Boko Haram Hoists Flags In Marte / How Has Sanwo-Olu Fared In Eight Months As Lagos State Governor?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.