Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,846 members, 7,806,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience (6387 Views)

How To Track An Ip Address Of A Facebook User / Share Your Amazon Kindle Fire User's Experience / Post Your Windows User Experience Index (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by oluwabamis(m): 9:42am On Dec 25, 2010
jusst saw starcommms latest device, an adroid 2.2 tablet wt 10.2" screen with a lot of other stuff. has any1 bought it yet. pls lets share ur experience. will u recommend it.
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by webgenius(m): 5:59pm On Dec 25, 2010
I think it costs N74000 for the android, a router and something else, don't know how many people will go for it at that price when not everyone is happy paying N7000 or N15950. Unless of course the is guaranteed quality service
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by oluwabamis(m): 4:58pm On Dec 26, 2010
iam actually considering having it 4 my mobile need, as in using it like ipad. if d device is not locked to starcomms, may be i mivht go for it. at that price, it might be worth buying
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by okhaivic: 10:47pm On Dec 27, 2010
I bought one on christmas eve at the allen avenue branch and it was the worst decision i ever took in my life! The slider does not work. I have not been able to gain access to the home page since i left their office. the touch screen technology is not only an apology. it is a huge scam! i am going back to ask for a refund after the holidays. what is interesting is that NO STAFF knows anything about the tablet. they had to experiment with mine. I got it so late in the day and could not discover i was buying only the router and data plan for N75000! To my 'enemies', and especially my friends, i beg you in your interest if you do not know what to do with your money, and if you cannot give it to charity, burn it. you will derive more satisfaction from the experience.
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by samir101ng(m): 4:45am On Dec 28, 2010
If you are interested in buying a tablet computer apart from an Apple Ipad which is the best in the market currently, i would advise you to get a Samsung Galaxy Tab from Etisalat

http://www.etisalat.com.ng/device_galaxy.php

Together with Etisalat's EDGE network and coverage, its better than the Starcomms device.
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by oluwabamis(m): 10:52am On Dec 28, 2010
okhaivic:

I bought one on christmas eve at the allen avenue branch and it was the worst decision i ever took in my life! The slider does not work. I have not been able to gain access to the home page since i left their office. the touch screen technology is not only an apology. it is a huge scam! i am going back to ask for a refund after the holidays. what is interesting is that NO STAFF knows anything about the tablet. they had to experiment with mine. I got it so late in the day and could not discover i was buying only the router and data plan for N75000! To my 'enemies', and especially my friends, i beg you in your interest if you do not know what to do with your money, and if you cannot give it to charity, burn it. you will derive more satisfaction from the experience. 

it grieve my heart to hear what happened to you. i think you should make a lot of noise if they dont refund ur money.

you actually saved a soul with ur prompt response. I think this should be on the front page to warn gadget freeks about this starcomms scam.
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by oluwabamis(m): 10:55am On Dec 28, 2010
samir101ng:

If you are interested in buying a tablet computer apart from an Apple Ipad which is the best in the market currently, i would advise you to get a Samsung Galaxy Tab from Etisalat

http://www.etisalat.com.ng/device_galaxy.php

Together with Etisalat's EDGE network and coverage, its better than the Starcomms device.

thanks a million, bro
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by ben2007: 11:38am On Dec 28, 2010
I have done the research and it is a chinese piece available at USD168. A cheap imitation of iPad and good for nothing
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by oluwabamis(m): 12:45pm On Dec 28, 2010
why would starcomms descend so low as to package chinco tablet and make a big deal out of it. Thanks for your research, ben2007
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by webgenius(m): 9:30pm On Dec 29, 2010
Na waa oooo!!!!! for this hard time wey money no dey, na im somebody go sell balloon cement say na , for 75G. God save our souls cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by oluwabamis(m): 8:24am On Dec 30, 2010
my brother, starcomms wan use our head make money. dont mind those indians, they are more dubious than nigerians.
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by oludy: 4:20pm On Jan 02, 2011
Is this the pad?
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by ben2007: 6:17pm On Jan 05, 2011
@Oluwa, Starcomms is in big trouble due to competition from gsm. So, probably, this is the way they want to fight back with Apple ipad which works for GSMs but not for CDMA (starcomms)
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by oloriooko(m): 11:00am On Jan 06, 2011
@samir101ng

Please may I know if this Samsung Galaxy is locked to Etisalat?

Thanks
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by Niggy(m): 6:32pm On Jan 06, 2011
Yeah the samsung galaxy tab is locked to etisalat network. But do the math with the shot below.

Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by samir101ng(m): 10:25pm On Jan 06, 2011
oloriooko:

@samir101ng

Please may I know if this Samsung Galaxy is locked to Etisalat?

Thanks

Generally, most tablet computers come with sim card slots which means you can put sim cards from different GSM operators. The Samsung Galaxy Tab offered for sale by Etisalat is sold unlocked and can be used by any GSM operator in Nigeria. However, you need to use a Micro-Sim. MTN currently offers Micro-sims for sale (Apple Ipad & Iphone 4 use miro-sims) but you can use a Micro-sim cutter to use a different networks sim. I can confirm this because i personally bought one for a friend at their Abuja office (Wuse II). CDMA operators (Starcomms, Multilinks, Visafone) however, are not supported.

Niggy:

Yeah the samsung galaxy tab is locked to etisalat network. But do the math with the shot below.

I would disagree with you on the above statement. Samsung Galaxy Tab sold by Etisalat is unlocked. The device runs on Android 2.2 OS. There is no need for any flashing, jailbreaking or unlocking like the Apple Ipad. What Etisalat does is provide you with a special sim that has all the value added services (Free SMS, Data Allowance etc) on it. Without the special sim card, you would not enjoy the value added services of the galaxy tab on the etisalat network even if you use a data or normal etisalat sim.
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by blackweaver(m): 10:31pm On Jan 06, 2011
oluwabamis:

why would starcomms descend so low as to package chinco tablet and make a big deal out of it. Thanks for your research, ben2007

i think you should remember that a lot of starcomms phones are actually chinco; if i'm not mistaken, huawei and zte are chinese companies
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by Niggy(m): 3:00am On Jan 07, 2011
@samir101ng
Well well, mr samir101ng, I own a GT and it is LOCKED , I repeat LOCKED to etisalat n/w. Immediately you insert another n/w sim maybe a mtn, it ask you for an unlock code which etisalat did not provide you with.
If you dnt believe, get one from their Allen avenue shop, which is where I got mine, and try.
Or maybe they sell an unlocked brand in their other shops, dont know. Bt as far as the one i purchased from their allen shop ikeja, it is LOCKED.
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by ExInferis(m): 11:19am On Jan 07, 2011
samir101ng:

Generally, most tablet computers come with sim card slots which means you can put sim cards from different GSM operators. The Samsung Galaxy Tab offered for sale by Etisalat is sold unlocked and can be used by any GSM operator in Nigeria. However, you need to use a Micro-Sim. MTN currently offers Micro-sims for sale (Apple Ipad & Iphone 4 use miro-sims) but you can use a Micro-sim cutter to use a different networks sim. I can confirm this because i personally bought one for a friend at their Abuja office (Wuse II). CDMA operators (Starcomms, Multilinks, Visafone) however, are not supported.

I would disagree with you on the above statement. Samsung Galaxy Tab sold by Etisalat is unlocked. The device runs on Android 2.2 OS. There is no need for any flashing, jailbreaking or unlocking like the Apple Ipad. What Etisalat does is provide you with a special sim that has all the value added services (Free SMS, Data Allowance etc) on it. Without the special sim card, you would not enjoy the value added services of the galaxy tab on the etisalat network even if you use a data or normal etisalat sim.

wrong on many counts.

1. generally most tablets come WITHOUT a sim slot, relegating to usage of personal hotspot devices (MiFis) or Wlan. the sim slot is optional if you opt for a device sold by a data vendor or the very few global editions.

2. Etisalat Galaxy tab is sold LOCKED to the Etisalat network, unlocking requires rooting the device and hex-editing one byte (0x181469) in the nv_data.bin you dump off the efs folder. done this countless times.

3. unlike the iPad and Iphone 4, the Galaxy Tab uses regular SIM and NOT MicroSIM as you so boldly claimed.

obviously you know diddly about tablets.
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by samir101ng(m): 1:05pm On Jan 07, 2011
Let me start by apologizing to the OP for the wrong information i posted here. I made an honest mistake by mixing up 2 Samsung Galaxy Tab devices. One sold by Etisalat and another bought in the US. After carefully reading your posts and observing the 2 devices, i realized the mistake was mine. Please accept my apologies. I never claim to be a mr-know-it all and will acknowledge my mistakes. Am here to learn as always from more learned colleagues.

@ Niggy,

Your observation is correct. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

@ Ex Inferis

Haba, Babban Yaya ? Ka share mu in this section.

Your posts as always hit the nail on the head. However, the other Samsung Galaxy Tab i was talking about earlier (the one bought in the US) has a Micro-Sim slot. It also came unlocked. Any ideas ?
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:44pm On Jan 07, 2011
@ Ex-Inferis, will u marry my yet to be born female cousin? grin grin grin grin please?

lol.

TAB UNLOCK courtesy XDA DEVELOPERS!

This requires you to be rooted and have busybox installed, which you should have but you can grab busybox installer from the market if not.

Backup the contents of the /efs folder on the phone first!!! Save your backups for at least 11.5 years.

From your computer, open an adb shell to your phone with the command:

adb shell

Then paste all the following commands into the shell window at once, in other words, one big cut n paste:

su
cd /sdcard
echo "this takes about 45 seconds"
if [ ! -f /sdcard/nv_data.bin.orig ]; then
echo "copying file to /sdcard"
cp /efs/nv_data.bin /sdcard/nv_data.bin.orig
fi
echo -en \\x00 > out0
dd if=nv_data.bin.orig of=out1 bs=1 count=1578089
dd if=nv_data.bin.orig of=out2 bs=1 skip=1578090 count=163
dd if=nv_data.bin.orig of=out3 bs=1 skip=1578254
cat out1 out0 out2 out0 out3 > nv_data.bin.unlocked
rm out0 out1 out2 out3
rm /efs/nv_data.bin
cp nv_data.bin.unlocked /efs/nv_data.bin
rm /efs/nv_data.bin.md5
reboot

Wait 45 seconds for the whole process to complete.
Thats It! your phone will reboot and its carrier unlocked!

If you can't get internet access with your new SIM its because you haven't set the APN for this carrier.

simple.

don't even look at me o! grin grin grin
those farts at XDA are a menace to the tech world!
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by blackweaver(m): 10:20pm On Jan 07, 2011
4llerbe i'm sure you don't even have a tab and you're already unlocking one

anyway i have a couple of questions:
this busybox, is it for your phone or for your tab?
if on you pc, which os should you be running (windows, linux, unix, android etc)
how do you connect your tab to the pc for this operation: is there a data cable or can you use bluetooth or wlan?
if data cable must the tab be on or off or it doesn't matter

just a few questions to be sure - before someone will try it out and ruin such an expensive device
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by QuardCore(m): 3:17am On Jan 16, 2011
Does any one have any idea what the current price is? apart from purchasing it from Etisalat, can it be purchased from any other SAmsung shop whre you buy samsung phones?
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by rabstyle: 11:18am On Jan 17, 2011
Pls who can tell me about this new, i robot tablet in town now cos i discovered ey also have a website, can i coonect any of the modems to it?
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by coexport: 5:04pm On Jan 17, 2011
download games on ur xbox, psp, ps2,3,computer pc games,and playstation sales @good prizes

download on ur xbox,psp,ps2,ps3,computer pc games, one game cost #500 each
list of games avilable
pes 2011 2010
fifa 11 winning 11
grandtheft auto
wrestling
mortal combact
street fighter
god hand
god of war 1,2,3
metal gear
spartan total warrior
terminator

up to 100 games avilable just tell us the game and we download it direct to ur console playstation 2,3,psp and xbox180 and 360 and ur computer games play ur game console even when it is bad with downloading

brand new downloading flat playstation 2 up for sale with 5 games downloaded on console pes 2010, mortal compact ,god of war , wrestling ,car race and street fighter prize 31,000 notice it can only play original c.d please it can not play pirated onless it has being hacked

brand new playstation 1 flat up for sale 14,000 each thanks

home delivery also avilable for games
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by coexport: 5:07pm On Jan 17, 2011
call 08161617634 for more information
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by mqlagos: 2:14pm On Jan 21, 2011
i have enjoyed the myPad from Starcomms as the one they sell has higher processor speed, iZap wi-fi router and 3-months of Internet access all for N75k. that is a great deal and even if the mypad is Chinese made the quality and the free application on Android platform is great. I use it a lot and enjoy the product and the speed. It is also unlocked and has USB driver slots. Well done to Starcomms for a good quality good priced bundle which is helping me a lot thank you Starcomms you truly innovate well done
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by damola1: 3:28pm On Jan 21, 2011
mqlagos:

i have enjoyed the myPad from Starcomms as the one they sell has higher processor speed, iZap wi-fi router and 3-months of Internet access all for N75k. that is a great deal and even if the mypad is Chinese made the quality and the free application on Android platform is great. I use it a lot and enjoy the product and the speed. It is also unlocked and has USB driver slots. Well done to Starcomms for a good quality good priced bundle which is helping me a lot thank you Starcomms you truly innovate well done
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

is your name mr. mypad starcomms, cos u sure do sound like mr. starcomms, ' thank you starcomms your truly innovate '''lolololololl, grin
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jan 22, 2011
mqlagos:

Let's study this guy very well, he might be one og the starcomms staff that just decided to come here to make a single post in other to erase the bad image that Nairaland has already painted their Zap.i.n.g. m.o.t.h.e.r.Zap.e.r. IPAD. Why is it that it's only one comment that he made ever since he registered and that one comment was even for the sake of protecting the CHINCO IPAD image.

By friend bought this ipad and was really messing up BIG time, it was since then I've known that people won't really enjoy the thing and might probably be making noise concerning how bad it is.

GO to H.E.L.L Starcomms.
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 22, 2011
mqlagos:

mqlagos=starcomms staff=419
Re: Starcomms Mypad-any User Experience by kdonone: 12:18am On Feb 06, 2011
Please how much can one get the etisalat Galaxy tablet?

(1) (2) (Reply)

UK Used HP Pro Book 440G1 / Get Western Union Soft Ware To Track,generate Mtcn / Proof Mtn Bis Unlimited Browsing On Pc And Android Using Tunnelguru

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.