Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: (27686 Views)

Enugu Airport Runway Death Trap - MD. OAS Helicopters / Coming To The Uk: Is It Easier To Come To Uk As A Spouse Than As A Student? / The UK Is Just Like Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 9:13am On Dec 28, 2010
I have been meaning to write this post for sometime now. First of all, I am living in the UK now having studied here and I have seen the mentality that the British Govt have been having over non-EU citizens living here. You will not know what you are stepping into until you arrive here.

First of all, I have seen the enthusiasm with which people in this forum are talking about coming here and my advice will be to channel that energy towards going to Canada to study as it pays you better on the long run.

Now let me explain myself. The school fees that they ask you to pay so you can study in this God forsaken country cannot be afforded by the home students here. It was just for the prospect of paying just £9000 that their students were burning everywhere in London. The cost of schooling in Canada is even far cheaper and you will be surprised at how easy it is to get their visa if you put in the same effort as you will 4 the UK. The UK is only a good place to come if you want to study and go back home immediately after your studies. If you intend to stay for a while or even to settle here, you not be able to do that from next year.

The new Govt here want to reduce the number of hours you can work as a student to 10 hours from the current 20 hours and they are planning to make it difficult for those students who are married to come here by putting a law banning dependence from working and also by asking all dependants (this even includes British citizens coming here on settlement visa) to write an English exam.

It doesn't even end there. They will be cancelling the Tier 1 post study work visa that gives you 2 years to get a job here after your studies. In addition to that, the Tory Govt is also cancelling the Tier 1 general Visa totally from April, 2011. This will mean that if no company or establishment is willing to employ you and pay you up to £40,000 , you will have to leave the UK immediately after your studies.

Now, what does the Govt stand to gain? They want people from servitude developing countries like 9ja to come and pay money into their system for a short period and then chase them back when they finish.

Even the way it is now, it is difficult to get the Tier 1 General visa because you need to earn a crazy £50,000 to qualify.

My final advice, pls channel your efforts towards Canada or maybe the US. In Canada, you will be able to apply for Federal Skilled Permanent residence when you graduate. If your intention is to study and then go back home and you are from an affluent environment, then the UK may be the place for you.

I will be happy to answer any questions arising from the above comments.

3 Likes

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by joxiri: 10:59am On Dec 28, 2010
Poster
can you please provide the link where it says the psw tier 1 scheme will be cancelled
so far theresa May has not mentioned anything about the psw
that visa still remains in place as far as I am aware because it is beneficial for the uk however much they get some good talent from there
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Zuha(f): 3:56pm On Dec 28, 2010
Hmm, what a thoughtful piece.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 5:49pm On Dec 28, 2010
Coming to the UK to study does not mean you should automatically have the right to settle permantely. Britain has a right to control immigration to its shores. If you don't like it then don't go to Britain, no-one is forcing you to go.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 28, 2010
the conservatives dont like immigrants after all. undecided
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 2:00am On Dec 29, 2010
TitanMoon:

Coming to the UK to study does not mean you should automatically have the right to settle permantely. Britain has a right to control immigration to its shores. If you don't like it then don't go to Britain, no-one is forcing you to go.

Hello my friend, We were living peacefully in Africa before we were invaded and taken in droves to different parts of the world including the UK. They suddenly decided that they have had enough of us and want us to be kept in darkness in Africa and hence maintain the neo-colonialism as is in place now.

Well that is besides the point. The aim of this post is to warn people who intend to come to the UK that if they are not planning to go back home immediately and I repeat, immediately after their studies, then killing themselves to come here is a very bad idea.
joxiri:

Poster
can you please provide the link where it says the psw tier 1 scheme will be cancelled
so far theresa May has not mentioned anything about the psw
that visa still remains in place as far as I am aware because it is beneficial for the uk however much they get some good talent from there

Don't kid yourself about them benefiting from good talent. You and I know that most people who school here contribute immensely to the country but we are the easy targets that will help win elections. They always say the non-EU people is the problem and that is why all this law changes every April.

The proposal is that they will make it virtually impossible to come here and work and to settle after your studies. I know that those on the verge of coming here will not understand but I just want to prepare your mind.

1 Like

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by silentc(m): 10:24pm On Dec 29, 2010
In a few years time, when most students choose Canada as their destination, the country will change its laws just as the UK is doing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by AngieFan(f): 12:04pm On Dec 30, 2010
Canada is the best option methinks. Britain is an Island and cannot cope with the influx of people. Obviously they have  so choice but to focus on non-eu immigrants because the European treaty they signed some years back forbids them from banning EU citizens. That besides most EU countries are developed and so Brits can easily immigrate there in droves  to benefit from free health care, jobs and basic security and so it probably seen as an equal trade -off. Some Nigerians just don't understand that and cry racism at every opportunity.

Canada is like 1000 times bigger than Britain in land mass, yet has just more than half the population of Britains 60million, a small Island which is struggling trying to look after those already here. Canada with its skeleton population needs people and that is why visa are not hard to come by and Nigerians would be better off going to Canada should they wish to leave their homeland.

1 Like

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 1:34pm On Dec 30, 2010
AngieFan:

Canada is the best option methinks. Britain is an Island and cannot cope with the influx of people. Obviously they have so choice but to focus on non-eu immigrants because the European treaty they signed some years back forbids them from banning EU citizens. That besides most EU countries are developed and so Brits can easily immigrate there in droves to benefit from free health care, jobs and basic security and so it probably seen as an equal trade -off. Some Nigerians just don't understand that and cry racism at every opportunity.
Canada is like 1000 times bigger than Britain in land mass, yet has just more than half the population of Britains 60million, a small Island which is struggling trying to look after those already here. Canada with its skeleton population needs people and that is why visa are not hard to come by and Nigerians would be better off going to Canada should they wish to leave their homeland.
I have being hearing that line of argument for many yrs even b4 other European countries joined the EU and i have being waiting for a day Britian will be full at the top, that argument doesn't consider the number of pple leaving the UK. This is just a political move, doesn't have much to do with population, number of non-EUs coming to the UK is far less than EU citizens coming here, so cutting down the number of non-EUs wouldn't make much different. This move only target the students and some professionals who actually contribute to the system.

I support cutting immigration but cut the right group.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 4:04pm On Dec 30, 2010
"I have being hearing that line of argument for many yrs even b4 other European countries joined the EU and i have being waiting for a day Britian will be full at the top,"

We don't want our country filled to the top. I will also add that it is only a small number of eastern european countries migrate to the UK and half of them have left already. The British people would rather have european immigrants than Nigerian ones.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by AngieFan(f): 5:14pm On Dec 30, 2010
Maybe so but can you understand that their hands are tied because of the European Treaty? Banning EU citizens from coming to the UK will open a different can of worms that the government would probably not have to deal with. Fortunately for them banning non EU is less hassle and a more viable option.

Britain is an Island that cannot allow the whole world to live in its lands and operate functionally. As I said Canada is 1000 times bigger than the UK yet the their population is smaller than the UK. People should consider going there if they want to leave Nigeria. . .after all Canada is part of Queen Elizabeth's territory as well, that's if you are one the ones still stuck on 'They came to our shores and used our resources to build their country' tip. Fair enough. . .go to Canada as that is a country that was also developed by the British. Britain is FULL!

1 Like

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by tunnytox(m): 5:49pm On Dec 30, 2010
TitanMoon:

We don't want our country filled to the top. I will also add that it is only a small number of eastern european countries migrate to the UK and half of them have left already. The British people would rather have european immigrants than Nigerian ones.

Provide me with  facts to back up your claim that only small number of eastern europeans migrate to the Uk and that half of them have left already? are you reading news at all. I suggest you try and educate yourself more before ranting on this forum.

We knew even before you say it that many conservative britons prefer european migrants just because they are white, its  form of accepting a lesser evil isn't it ? But wait many are coming next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12091427
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 6:09pm On Dec 30, 2010
TitanMoon:

"I have being hearing that line of argument for many yrs even b4 other European countries joined the EU and i have being waiting for a day Britian will be full at the top,"

You obviously know nothing about ur 'Britian' i can't have a reasonable argument with u cos u have an ant-Nigerian view for along time now, so you will struggle to come up with any balance view. Cheers.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 6:21pm On Dec 30, 2010
What do I not know about my Britain ?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by juzme: 6:27pm On Dec 30, 2010
AngieFan:

Maybe so but can you understand that their hands are tied because of the European Treaty? Banning EU citizens from coming to the UK will open a different can of worms that the government would probably not have to deal with. Fortunately for them banning non EU is less hassle and a more viable option.

Britain is an Island that cannot allow the whole world to live in its lands and operate functionally. As I said Canada is 1000 times bigger than the UK yet the their population is smaller than the UK. People should consider going there if they want to leave Nigeria. . .after all Canada is part of Queen Elizabeth's territory as well, that's if you are one the ones still stuck on 'They came to our shores and used our resources to build their country' tip. Fair enough. . .go to Canada as that is a country that was also developed by the British. Britain is FULL!

I think your argument is baseless.
Can you compare these.
UK:  
Area: 243,610 km2
population: 62,041,708
Mumabi:
Area: 437.71 km2
Population: 13,830,884
So your reason should not be because UK is full but rather because UK economy is in a mess at this point in time.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by debosky(m): 6:38pm On Dec 30, 2010
@ tunnytox

There is evidence that the Eastern Europeans are returning. More importantly, the numbers coming are falling gradually and if you take data from previous joiners of the EU from central Europe, the numbers stabilize after a short while.

However, the large population centres of Nigeria, Pakistan and India will always have a ready pool of immigrants seeking to go into the UK. These nations combined far exceed the EU population so it clearly makes sense to work on limiting immigration from these groups instead of focussing on Europe, where you have a considerable amount of emigration from the UK to France and Spain.

If you have some time, read through the commentary below. I admit they are more concerned with limiting immigration above all else, but there is a strong factual basis for the conclusions therein.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefingPaper/document/40
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by silentc(m): 6:53pm On Dec 30, 2010
Debosky, while your link to migrationwatch is valid, you have to consider the fact that the source is not impartial.

Migrationwatch has the sole purpose of making a case against migration to the UK, so whatever fact the put together will come to that conclusion.

Pro migration school of thoughts will come to a conclusion that suits them also.

When the Caribbean immigrants came to the UK in the mid 1950's there was a lot of talk about the UK being filled up and not being able to take any more immigrant. Enoch Powell's "rivers of blood" speech (in 1968) is of the same tone as today's political speeches aiming at reducing non EU immigration (almost 42 yrs later).

I am not saying the UK doesnt have a right to reduce and manage it's migration. It does, but it should be honest in the arguments being made. It is all about economics and at the moment, non EU immigration is not needed and EU immigration cannot be affected due to EU laws.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 7:00pm On Dec 30, 2010
Can you compare these.
UK: 
Mumabi:
So your reason should not be because UK is full but rather because UK economy is in a mess at this point in time.

Mumbai is an utter shithole. India has massive problems with its infrastructure and it is currently is facing a massive problem with people defacating in the open due to lack of toilets and sanitary facilities. Do you expect us British to concrete over our landscape and turn it into some third world shitole like India just because you people want to come and live with us, I dont thinkso.

I will also add that you have not taken into consideration the landscape of Britain, England is overcrowded wiht 55 million people, scotland is bigger than england and only have 5 million people, but Scotland is mostly mountain ranges which urban devlopments cannot be built on.

We British do not one a larger population, and it is our countrey and we will do whatever and let in whoever we damn well please. You have no right to criticise or even suggest we should take more people in. Britian is not your country

Also your figures are moronic, Mumbai is a city, Britain is a country.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by juzme: 7:20pm On Dec 30, 2010
TitanMoon:

Can you compare these.
UK: 
Mumabi:

Mumbai is an utter shithole. India has massive problems with its infrastructure and it is currently is facing a massive problem with people defacating in the open due to lack of toilets and sanitary facilities. Do you expect us British to concrete over our landscape and turn it into some third world shitole like India just because you people want to come and live with us, I dont thinkso.

I will also add that you have not taken into consideration the landscape of Britain, England is overcrowded wiht 55 million people, scotland is bigger than england and only have 5 million people, but Scotland is mostly mountain ranges which urban devlopments cannot be built on.

We British do not one a larger population, and it is our countrey and we will do whatever and let in whoever we damn well please. You have no right to criticise or even suggest we should take more people in. Britian is not your country

Also your figures are moronic, Mumbai is a city, Britain is a country.
which means it is all about economy of UK not the population or the Area of the land that Uk occupied. Of course Uk has right to control their immigration so do other countries.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by mazraara: 7:23pm On Dec 30, 2010
pls respond to this very urgently, i beg you, our uni is havng a affiliation with Sheffield hallam university which is located in Sheffield city, UNITED KINGDOM, more than 10 years, your telling dt post study work visa will be canceled, i want 2 knw very badly when does this happen ?? plsssssssss help me, i have the opportunity  to do with some other uni also, sins i have decided and my aim is to finish the degree in uk and to start MSC, i heard dt, we have to return to our country and re-apply if we are seeking to continue with masters and PHD's, wt will happen in future ?? for the PSW is it ok if my uni is a higly trusted one ?? will i get PSW then
?? i may apply for visa in march, any answers are highly appreciated, pls help me out of this for god's sake,

thnax frnds,
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 7:35pm On Dec 30, 2010
mazraara:

pls respond to this very urgently, i beg you, our uni is havng a affiliation with Sheffield hallam university which is located in Sheffield city, UNITED KINGDOM, more than 10 years, your telling dt[b] post study work vi[/b]sa will be canceled, i want 2 knw very badly when does this happen ?? plsssssssss help me, i have the opportunity  to do with some other uni also, sins i have decided and my aim is to finish the degree in uk and to start MSC, i heard dt, we have to return to our country and re-apply if we are seeking to continue with masters and PHD's, wt will happen in future ?? for the PSW is it ok if my uni is a higly trusted one ?? will i get PSW then
??
i may apply for visa in march, any answers are highly appreciated, pls help me out of this for god's sake,
thnax frnds,

Yes that will be the case IF the proposal goes through, the PSW will be cancelled or only reserved for PHD students and one may have to return home to re-apply for visa if u want to progress to another course.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 7:37pm On Dec 30, 2010
wt will happen in future ?? for the PSW Huh is it ok if my uni is a higly trusted one

The PSW is likely to be scrapped (stopped) next year. It is very possible that only students from the very best Universities will be allowed to apply for PSW. However, judging from your horrendous use of English I doubt you will studying at one of Britains best universities.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 7:39pm On Dec 30, 2010
which means it is all about economy of UK not the population or the Area of the land that Uk occupied. Of course Uk has right to control their immigration so do other countries.

Wrong, Population has a massive effect. India has one of the worlds strongest economies but india is a shithole due to overpopulation. Britain does not needs the amount of immigration it is currently undertaken, hence the changes to immigration law and policy.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 7:44pm On Dec 30, 2010
TitanMoon:

wt will happen in future ?? for the PSW Huh is it ok if my uni is a higly trusted one

The PSW is likely to be scrapped (stopped) next year. It is very possible that only students from the very best Universities will be allowed to apply for PSW. However, judging from your horrendous use of English I doubt you will studying at one of Britains best universities.

You obviously read the proposal upside down.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by mazraara: 8:12pm On Dec 30, 2010
thanks for the reply friends, but no one said when does this happens, is this gonna work before April 2011 ? (PSW)
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 8:17pm On Dec 30, 2010
mazraara:

thanks for the reply friends, but no one said when does this happens, is this gonna work before April 2011 ? (PSW)

Maybe by April 2011.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by debosky(m): 8:27pm On Dec 30, 2010
silentc:

Debosky, while your link to migrationwatch is valid, you have to consider the fact that[b] the source is not impartial[/b].

Migrationwatch has the sole purpose of making a case against migration to the UK, so whatever fact the put together will come to that conclusion.

Pro migration school of thoughts will come to a conclusion that suits them also.

I admitted as much in my caveat. However, looking at the original data sources and tuning out their bias, there is little basis for disputing their outcomes.

When the Caribbean immigrants came to the UK in the mid 1950's there was a lot of talk about the UK being filled up and not being able to take any more immigrant. Enoch Powell's "rivers of blood" speech (in 1968) is of the same tone as today's political speeches aiming at reducing non EU immigration (almost 42 yrs later).

I agree completely, which is why we must always look beyond rhetoric and try to examine the cold hard facts.

I am not saying the UK doesnt have a right to reduce and manage it's migration. It does, but it should be honest in the arguments being made. It is all about economics and at the moment, non EU immigration is not needed and EU immigration cannot be affected due to EU laws.

It's more about economics - some people feel their communities being overrun by immigrants and have a right to complain about it. Even before the economic crash happened, the influx of populations, particularly those that refuse to integrate and seek to impose their cultural ideals on the communities they settle in have been an issue.

These concerns are not just in people's heads and are backed up by research. Regarding EU immigration, the two way nature of the immigration and decline of inward migration to the UK make this of less concern.

The prime reason for focusing on students is that 76% of net migration to the UK in 2009 comes through this route - you MUST reduce this number or at least ensure they leave to impact immigration.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by tpia1: 9:07pm On Dec 30, 2010
Has there been any point in history when there was out cry of over population in any part of the Britian?

yes.

it happens every so often, mostly when times are hard.

nobody likes the situation, but that's how it is and people are struggling to deal with it.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 9:25pm On Dec 30, 2010
tpia1:

yes.

it happens every so often, mostly when times are hard.

nobody likes the situation, but that's how it is and people are struggling to deal with it.

I don't feel sorry for them, when things get really hard, the govt will stop paying pple to seat at home and do nothing.

The ant-immigration policies will only make more money for gangs who smuggle illigal immigrants into the UK and deal on fake papers.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 9:31pm On Dec 30, 2010
The ant-immigration policies will only make more money for gangs who smuggle illigal immigrants into the UK and deal on fake papers.
Completely irrelevent, thats like saying we should not ban heroin because it makes more money for drug dealers. Are you thick or something ?

Whether or not British immigration changes its policies there will always be illegals trying to get here, tougher immigration policies will not make a difference.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 9:34pm On Dec 30, 2010
TitanMoon:

Completely irrelevent, thats like saying we should not ban heroin because it makes more money for drug dealers. Are you thick or something ?

Whether or not British immigration changes its policies there will always be illegals trying to get here, tougher immigration policies will not make a difference.
If you knew all that then why then have you being crying blood since u registered in the forum?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

White Man's Tweet About Nigeria's Aviation Sector / Ojuelegba Tragedy: Unlatched Containers Must Leave Our Roads / Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.