Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: (27711 Views)

Enugu Airport Runway Death Trap - MD. OAS Helicopters / Coming To The Uk: Is It Easier To Come To Uk As A Spouse Than As A Student? / The UK Is Just Like Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 04, 2011
justwise:

I think the point of this thread is to educate those Nigerians who has high expectations of the UK b4 going to the UK to lower their expectation and take more realistical approach. Its more difficult to change your mind after getting to the UK pay so much then realise that all are not as it seems b4 his or her embarked on that journey. The stories of UK you heard 3-4 yrs ago is not the same today. Nobody is discouraging pple from coming to the UK to study, some of us are basically saying: things have changed, look at the situation now.
Well I see a lot of folks here are just going off on a tangent and bringing up totally irrelevant issues like the presumed global recession and the clampdown on those students wanting to attend bogus colleges
You are even talking about starting a business in Nigeria instead as if business is all about capital as opposed to having an enterpreneurial mindset and a flow of creative money-making ideas. Anyway Nigerians have excelled in the professions so they would of course continue to take the study route for the forseeable future.
Be that as it may, and in the grand scheme of things, you should be able to see that Western countries with their ageing demographics cannot afford to shut the door to the best and the brightest from abroad
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Epiphany(m): 2:27pm On Jan 04, 2011
justwise:

I think the point of this thread is to educate those Nigerians who has high expectations of the UK b4 going to the UK to lower their expectation and take more realistical approach. Its more difficult to change your mind after getting to the UK pay so much then realise that all are not as it seems b4 his or her embarked on that journey. The stories of UK you heard 3-4 yrs ago is not the same today. Nobody is discouraging pple from coming to the UK to study, some of us are basically saying: things have changed, look at the situation now.

I think the highlighted part is the summary of all the arguements. No one is discouraging anyone from coming to the UK to study. What a lot of us are trying to say is that in the years past, many people came here to study, with the hopes of either settling here or working for a while before returning to Nigeria. Getting into either of these is now very tough. Even applying to study here is now getting to be quite difficult because, correct me if i am wrong, but the prospective student now has to show proof of ALL of the fees or even pay it all off at once - unlike before when you could get around it. Then, you did not have to pay all your fees at once and you could even finish school without having paid the tuition. Again, like some posters have stated, the govt wants to reduce the number of hours that students can work from 20 to 10. I remember when i was a student, having paid ALL MY FEES IN ONE SWOOP (Tuition - £22,000 and Accomodation - £4000), i had to work for about 18 hours weekly for money for my upkeep. If i had to come here to study under these conditions, i may not have been able to make it. After that, i made up my mind that i had to work here for a while, to 'get back' a bit of the money i spent  on my education - and that is why i am still here!
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by tunnytox(m): 2:46pm On Jan 04, 2011
@Tensor
You sound like one of these Educational consultants who usually recruit students from Nigeria. Are you afraid of going out of business? grin grin
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 2:47pm On Jan 04, 2011
tensor777:

Well I see a lot of folks here are just going off on a tangent and bringing up totally irrelevant issues like the presumed global recession and the clampdown on those students wanting to attend bogus colleges
You are even talking about starting a business in Nigeria instead as if business is all about capital as opposed to having an enterpreneurial mindset and a flow of creative money-making ideas. Anyway Nigerians have excelled in the professions so they would of course continue to take the study route for the forseeable future.
Be that as it may, and in the grand scheme of things, you should be able to see that Western countries with their ageing demographics cannot afford to shut the door to the best and the brightest from abroad

Yes if u are from a poor family and had to borrow money to come to the UK to study with the hope of working after graduation then the chances of that person doing that now is very slim and one need to point that out. Attracting the best brain from poor countries is another prob cos that means the UK will only encourage the best from non-EU countries while the 'non-so-good' are not wanted.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 2:48pm On Jan 04, 2011
Epiphany:

I think the highlighted part is the summary of all the arguements. No one is discouraging anyone from coming to the UK to study. What a lot of us are trying to say is that in the years past, many people came here to study, with the hopes of either settling here or working for a while before returning to Nigeria. Getting into either of these is now very tough. Even applying to study here is now getting to be quite difficult because, correct me if i am wrong, but the prospective student now has to show proof of ALL of the fees or even pay it all off at once - unlike before when you could get around it. Then, you did not have to pay all your fees at once and you could even finish school without having paid the tuition. Again, like some posters have stated, the govt wants to reduce the number of hours that students can work from 20 to 10. I remember when i was a student, having paid ALL MY FEES IN ONE SWOOP (Tuition - £22,000 and Accomodation - £4000), i had to work for about 18 hours weekly for money for my upkeep. If i had to come here to study under these conditions, i may not have been able to make it. After that, i made up my mind that i had to work here for a while, to 'get back' a bit of the money i spent on my education - and that is why i am still here!
You are right on that.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Dantecmu(m): 4:11pm On Jan 04, 2011
tunnytox:

@Tensor
You sound like one of these Educational consultants who usually recruit students from Nigeria. Are you afraid of going out of business?  grin grin

Very Very true ,
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by tpia1: 5:43pm On Jan 04, 2011
No matter how bad the reccession seems, there are still people who got achievements in it.
I will not discourage people from coming to Europe as long as they have legitimate reasons to come, and even if the gravity of the recession is 10 times more, the UK will still be better than Nigeria in every regard.

Is travelling overseas a right or a priviledge?

the lawmakers and by extension the people from the countries in question are telling us to slow our roll yet we keep insisting they should be ignored.

is that wise?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by kidonig: 5:46pm On Jan 04, 2011
Tensor,
Watch the tone of my statement and see that there is no guile in it. All the comments made here are supported by a link so that people can read and educate themselves more and also so as to lend more credence to what the person is saying. When you say that there is a lot of options available, please kindly paste a link so that people who don't have a lot of options now and are regretting ever coming to the UK, will learn from you and explore those options.

No one, I repeat, no one is saying don't come to the UK. We are all trying to give people who use this forum enough information so that when they eventually arrive here, they will know what they are up against.

The British Govt sees Commonwealth countries as a huge source of revenue to them. They see places like Nigeria and India as subservient territories that they can exploit. That is why they encourage people to come to the UK to study and make them pay what an average EU citizen cannot afford and then put laws in place to chase them back after collecting their money.

I repeat as I have said before. If your sole intention to come here is to study and go back home immediately(and you have a guaranteed flow of cash from 9ja through out your studies), then its no problem at all. But if by chance you want to stay a minute longer after you graduate (which is what most 9ja students will do) you may be in for a surprise.

Rather than point accusing fingers at me for this thread, ask legitimate questions and I will try to explain or someone else in the thread will explain or even provide a link that will answer your questions.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 04, 2011
tpia1:

Is travelling overseas a right or a priviledge?
the lawmakers and by extension the people from the countries in question are telling us to slow our roll yet we keep insisting they should be ignored.
is that wise?
Now look here Madam Tpia I get where you're coming from with this . But realistically you cannot stop people from travelling in this day and age. The main challenge is that such migration should be controlled and those with criminal intent should be dealt with.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by tpia1: 5:56pm On Jan 04, 2011
tensor777:

Now look here Madam Tpia I get where you're coming from with this . But realistically you cannot stop people from travelling in this day and age. The main challenge is that such migration should be controlled and those with criminal intent should be dealt with.

bros, I'm not the one stopping anybody from travelling.

and if you're throwing a challenge to the countries trying to limit immigration into their domains, then i assume you have your bases covered and know what you're doing.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jan 04, 2011
kidonig:

Tensor,
The British Govt sees Commonwealth countries as a huge source of revenue to them. They see places like Nigeria and India as subservient territories that they can exploit. That is why they encourage people to come to the UK to study and make them pay what an average EU citizen cannot afford and then put laws in place to chase them back after collecting their money.

I repeat as I have said before. If your sole intention to come here is to study and go back home immediately(and you have a guaranteed flow of cash from 9ja through out your studies), then its no problem at all. But if by chance you want to stay a minute longer after you graduate (which is what most 9ja students will do) you may be in for a surprise.
It was ever thus. But is a clampdown on applicants to bogus colleges the same as the clampdown on genuine students? No. As  far as I'm aware there is no clamp down on prospective university students at the moment. They still face the same 20 hour term time restriction and still face much the same hurdles of extending their after graduation student visa.
In any case with the massive cuts in funding UK universities do need all the international students they can get.
What is infuriating is that some posters here are just scaremongering without setting out the facts in this matter
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jan 04, 2011
tpia1:

bros, I'm not the one stopping anybody from travelling.
and if you're throwing a challenge to the countries trying to limit immigration into their domains, then i assume you have your bases covered and know what you're doing.
Nope, as it does not affect me personally. In that wise I don't need to cover any of my bases. cool
HOWEVER there is a limit as to how far they can clamp down on immigration without affecting their own economic competitiveness.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 6:48pm On Jan 04, 2011
That is why they encourage people to come to the UK to study and make them pay what an average EU citizen cannot afford and then put laws in place to chase them back after collecting their money.

Absolute rubbish.

Firstly home students pay less fees because the British tax payer subsidises them. EU students pay home fees because that is reciprocated when British students study in other EU countries. The amount of fees the non-EU students pay has nothing to do with being in the Common wealth. All foreign students pay the same international fees. You pay higher fees because Nigerians have no paid into the systme. Subsidised fees are paid by the British taxpayer for British people, not for everyone in the world.

No one forced you to come here to study, you are paying for a service which in this case is a university education. I will also add that British universities cost a third of what American universities cost.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 04, 2011
TitanMoon:

That is why they encourage people to come to the UK to study and make them pay what an average EU citizen cannot afford and then put laws in place to chase them back after collecting their money.

Absolute rubbish.
Firstly home students pay less fees because the British tax payer subsidises them. EU students pay home fees because that is reciprocated when British students study in other EU countries. The amount of fees the non-EU students pay has nothing to do with being in the Common wealth. All foreign students pay the same international fees. You pay higher fees because Nigerians have no paid into the systme. Subsidised fees are paid by the British taxpayer for British people, not for everyone in the world.
No one forced you to come here to study, you are paying for a service which in this case is a university education. I will also add that British universities cost a third of what American universities cost.
You are a hard man no doubt but you are saying the absolute truth. Imagine the guy saying people should not study in England because international students pay the full economic costs of their tuition!!!. That has always been the case and yes the tuition fees are still way chaper than leading American universities.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 7:05pm On Jan 04, 2011
tensor777:

You are a hard man no doubt but you are saying the absolute truth. Imagine the guy saying people should not study in England because international students pay the full economic costs of their tuition!!!. That has always been the case and yes the tuition fees are still way chaper than leading American universities.
No he is a complete plonker, the 'taxpayers' he is going on about include foreign students who work part time and pay into the system, many Nigerians with due citizenship are among the taxpayers, so we all subsidise fees for home students.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jan 04, 2011
justwise:

No he is a complete plonker, the 'taxpayers' he is going on about include foreign students who work part time and pay into the system, many Nigerians with due citizenship are among the taxpayers, so we all subsidise fees for home students.
Well "international" students also include British passport holders who do no meet extant 3 year residence in UK criterion. So it does cut both ways.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 7:24pm On Jan 04, 2011

Students do not pay tax in the UK.

Are you seriously implying that the British taxpayer should subsidise the educaiton of foreigners whom have never paid tax into the UK. Once someone has stayed in the UK on ILR for three years they are eligable to pay homes fees and not before.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by juzme: 7:33pm On Jan 04, 2011
The OP described UK as a trap for foriegn students like Nigeria. Yes, it is actually a trap at the moment. Consider a chap from Nigeria whoses parents or family sold all their properties to secure admission and pay the tution fees for the person in order to enable him or her study in UK. The person entered UK with expectation of finding a job while studying in UK and also settling down in UK after his/her studies. There are great expectation from his family back in Nigeria that once he/she is in Uk he/she will be able to get the money they spent on him/her.
Unfortunately, due to economic crisis in UK the person was unable to get a job within one year he or she entered UK. And he or she continue to demand for money from home while living on hope that it will be better. His/her family back home who had sold most of their properties went to borrow money so that their daughter or son will complete his/her education and live in UK. For 4 years this person was still unable to pay all the money his/her parents spent on him or her. and Unfortunately too, he or she is illegal in UK because he or she could not meet the requirements to regularize his or her stay in UK. I dont know what you want to say to the categories of people that find themselves in this kind of situation. This categories of people are trap in Uk as they will never wish to go back to Nigeria.
Well, if your family are very rich and are well connected in Nigeria then you can always come to UK to study. But if not please try Australia, canada, US and even Norway. (for Norway, you must learn their language before you can be successful)
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 7:37pm On Jan 04, 2011
TitanMoon:

Students do not pay tax in the UK. Are you seriously implying that the British taxpayer should subsidise the educaiton of foreigners whom have never paid tax into the UK. [b]Once someone has stayed in the UK on ILR for three years they are eligable to pay homes fees and not before.
[/b]That shows how much u know about your 'British' system. Get updated next time b4 fooling around here
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 7:39pm On Jan 04, 2011
tensor777:

Well "international" students also include British passport holders who do no meet extant 3 year residence in UK criterion. So it does cut both ways.

Sorry?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 7:41pm On Jan 04, 2011
Sorry?

British citizens who have not resided in Britain for a full three years prior to starting their course, must pay international fees.

That shows how much u know about your 'British' system. Get updated next time b4 fooling around here

Students do not pay income tax if they are making less than £6,4170 a year. Students also do not pay council tax, they are completely exempt from it. Shows how much you know you .

If you work for an employer during term-time, any Income Tax and National Insurance due will be deducted from your wages before you receive them. This is known as Pay As You Earn (PAYE).

Everybody can earn a certain amount before they start paying Income Tax - this is the personal allowance (£6,475 for the tax year 2010-11).

If you're a full-time student with a holiday job, you may not need to pay tax through PAYE (you will still pay National Insurance if you earn more than the weekly threshold).

You can ask your employer for a form P38(S) (or download it below) if all the following apply:

* you're a full-time student in the UK, only working in the holidays
    * you're returning to full-time education after the holiday
    * your total income for the year is below the personal allowance

If you have a part-time job during term time, you can't use form P38(S) just for your holiday job. Your employer will take care of the paperwork to make sure you don't pay too much tax.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 04, 2011
juzme:

The OP described UK as a trap for foriegn students like Nigeria. Yes, it is actually a trap at the moment. Consider a chap from Nigeria whoses parents or family sold all their properties to secure admission and pay the tution fees for the person in order to enable him or her study in UK. The person entered UK with expectation of finding a job while studying in UK and also settling down in UK after his/her studies. There are great expectation from his family back in Nigeria that once he/she is in Uk he/she will be able to get the money they spent on him/her.
Again you are just generalising. Most students actually have no problem securing part-time work while studying. Again it is actually spelt out in the student visa that the student is only allowed to work 20 hours per week during term time.
They are of couse permitted to work as many hours as they can find outside term time and in the aftermath of their studies.
Would he be able to get a graduate level job? Maybe, maybe not. However you just can't come here with wild generalisations
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 8:24pm On Jan 04, 2011
TitanMoon:

Sorry?
British citizens who have not resided in Britain for a full three years prior to starting their course, must pay international fees.
That shows how much u know about your 'British' system. Get updated next time b4 fooling around here
Students do not pay income tax[b] if they are making less than £6,4170 a year[/b]. Students also do not pay council tax, they are completely exempt from it. Shows how much you know you . If you work for an employer during term-time, any Income Tax and National Insurance due will be deducted from your wages before you receive them. This is known as Pay As You Earn (PAYE).Everybody can earn a certain amount before they start paying Income Tax - this is the personal allowance (£6,475 for the tax year 2010-11).If you're a full-time student with a holiday job, you may not need to pay tax through PAYE (you will still pay National Insurance if you earn more than the weekly threshold).You can ask your employer for a form P38(S) (or download it below) if all the following apply:    * you're a full-time student in the UK, only working in the holidays
    * you're returning to full-time education after the holiday    * your total income for the year is below the personal allowanceIf you have a part-time job during term time, you can't use form P38(S) just for your holiday job. Your employer will take care of the paperwork to make sure you don't pay too much tax.

That means IF they make more than £6,4170   a yr they pay tax right? Did u get that?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 8:26pm On Jan 04, 2011
tensor777:

Again you are just generalising. Most students actually have no problem securing part-time work while studying. Again it is actually spelt out in the student visa that the student is only allowed to work 20 hours per week during term time.
They are of couse permitted to work as many hours as they can find outside term time and in the aftermath of their studies.
Would he be able to get a graduate level job? Maybe, maybe not. However you just can't come here with wild generalisations

That has been reduced to 10hrs a week for those doing courses below degree level.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jan 04, 2011
justwise:

That means IF they make more than £6,4170 a yr they pay tax right? Did u get that?
Yes anything above that threshold is taxable but they are still exempt from paying council tax regardless of their level of income.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 8:45pm On Jan 04, 2011
tensor777:

Yes anything above that threshold is taxable but they are still exempt from paying council tax regardless of their level of income.

You will start paying council tax as soon as the date u put on ur exemption form expires, if u fill one, only if u can proof to the council that u are still a student.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 10:22pm On Jan 04, 2011
That means IF they make more than £6,4170 a yr they pay tax right? Did u get that?

Making more than 6,1470 is only possible if you are working fulltime. Did you get that you Nigerian idiot.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 10:38pm On Jan 04, 2011
TitanMoon:

Making more than 6,1470 is only possible if you are working fulltime. Did you get that you Nigerian .

No you muppet, obviously u are on benefit so i will 4give you for been a complete plonker. You can earn more than £6,1470 a yr on part time, its all depend on how much u are paid and number of hrs u work during the holidays.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by TitanMoon: 11:54pm On Jan 04, 2011
No you muppet, obviously u are on benefit so i will 4give you for been a complete plonker. You can earn more than £6,1470 a yr on part time, its all depend on how much u are paid and number of hrs u work during the holidays.

You would be very hard pressed to find a student who makes more than that working part time.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jan 04, 2011
TitanMoon:

You would be very hard pressed to find a student who makes more than that working part time.
Again true . We are talking about just over £500 per month and this average would definitely be reduced by the 20 hour per week term time restriction. I am presuming that the student is on a £5.80 minimum wage job. Not all are of course.
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by justwise(m): 11:58pm On Jan 04, 2011
TitanMoon:

tensor777:

Again true but I

Are u two for real?
Re: The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: by debosky(m): 2:43am On Jan 05, 2011
In the line of giving educating information, I'll give my take on the new 'restrictions'.

Based on my understanding of the policy document, you only need to earn £40,000 if you're making an 'initial' application for Tier 1 General separate from post study, or if you started your post study work after April 2010.

If you need to extend your leave and you started your post study before April 2010, you only need to have earned above £26,000 in the qualifying period.

Just to clarify - these figures are based on an individual completing a masters degree and being under 30.

Other alternatives such as gaining a phd exist, or taking an MBA.

Even with the 'stringent' requirements, I have heard of Nigerians claiming income from their bogus 'companies' in Nigeria, just to make up the £40,000 mark. Some claim to be directors of companies and so on and get someone to pay in money into accounts, either here in Nigeria or in the UK to give the appearance that the incomes are earned.

Needless to say, £40,000 isn't that much of a limiting constraint given Nigerians' ability to find innovative solutions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

There Is No Difference Between Nigeria Air And MMM — Nigerians / Truck Driver Strips, Puts Up "Dramatic Dispaly" After Hitting A Car (Video) / Father And Son Die In Motor Accident In Nasarawa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.