Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,285 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:45 AM

Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. (49524 Views)

Yahoo Boy Pretending To Be A Woman, Scams US Citizen Of $2300 / Man Scams Shop Owner With Fake Bank Alert After Buying 32" TV In Delta. Photo / Man Scams People By Sending Them Airtime In Ondo State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by pocohantas(f): 11:47am On Mar 28, 2020
We are in perilous times, everyone is trying to transact from their homes, businesses are also adjusting their processes and it is a perfect time for fraudsters to strike unsuspecting persons.

I’ll be listing the ones that I am familiar with and you should feel free to add yours. Experiences and suggestions are welcome.

1:— THE HELPFUL ADHOC STAFF
I put this first because they thrive whenever there is rush/staff shortage. Currently people are trying to sort out their transactions because they fear banks might close. Happens right inside the banking premises and real fast too. They come dressed in suits, looking like your everyday banker. They approach customers with bulk deposits and offer to help them. Trust Nigerians with wanting to jump the queue- they quickly hand over the money and that is it...

-Do not give your money to anyone who isn't across the counter (and) with an ID.

2:— A STRANDED COMMUTER
This one wouldn't leave you penniless, it is in fact worse as it can land you in Alagbon. After stealing phones of people, they start looking for pickers. They'll typically approach you at ATM points with a sob story of not having debit cards but needing urgent cash for transport fare to Kuvukiland. They request for your account number so they transfer and you withdraw for them. Some are even kidnappers. Next thing your account gets flagged for something you know nothing about. They have different stories, but the goal is always the same- to use your account for inflows. Even your friends are not to be trusted.

3:— THE BVN CUSTOMER CARE REP
A very old method, but somehow people still fall for it. Majority of us must have gotten those calls from a supposed customer care representative. They would always claim your account has been blocked and you need to provide some details to have it unblocked.

-The bank would never call to ask for sensitive account details.

4:— PHISHING
This is also used for BVN scam, but for persons with internet enabled phones. They clone the design of the Bank, its color, logo...etc. Then send a customized mail to the customer, directing you to some other link where you would be required to fill in your details. PLEASE DON'T.

5:— DEBIT CARD SWAP
Fraudsters are also big on ATM scam. They stand at ATM points to feign assistance to vulnerable users – illiterates, the old and the physically challenged. They later swap cards to defraud them. That is after ensuring the fake card has been retracted. Best done during weekends when customers can't run to the bank for help. KNOW YOUR BANK'S HELPLINE.

6:— FAKE ALERT

Now that a lot of businesses are insisting on transfers and card payments, watch-out for this. It involves the use of SMS disguised as bank alerts to defraud unsuspecting victims.

7:— ERRONEOUS TRANSFER

Ever received a transfer from a strange account, only to get a call from someone- pleading that it was a mistake and you should help forward it to a third account? If you have ever done this and didn’t get into any trouble, you are in luck. Contact your bank for such.

36 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by pocohantas(f): 11:49am On Mar 28, 2020
Let’s all be very careful. It is also pertinent we enlighten the uneducated and elderly around us. They are the major victims, with their kids (or caregivers) being culprits sometimes...lol.

See Nairalanders experiences; HERE

and

HERE TOO.

Cc: Peeress, please do use your wealth of experience as an ED to correct any error. Thanks Sir.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 28, 2020
Nice one.
Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by Froshloaded: 12:00pm On Mar 28, 2020
grin grin
Poco want spoil business for scammers grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by ibkayee(f): 12:02pm On Mar 28, 2020
Come through poco with the useful information

5 Likes

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by pocohantas(f): 12:03pm On Mar 28, 2020
Froshloaded:
grin grin
Poco want spoil business for scammers grin grin grin

I need to be sure I made no mistakes. We need to keep the masses enlightened.

Sir Peeress, can you authorize this thread. Maybe give your inputs. You must have seen a lot in your time as an ED of a bank.

ibkayee:
Come through poco with the useful information

Thanks baby. kiss

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by pocohantas(f): 12:07pm On Mar 28, 2020
NextD18:
8. Those that portray a different reality online by forming woke, good financial analysts, dealers of different businesses, claiming they are in financial sectors, dishing advice and forming intellectual on financial related issues all to gain trust from gullible ones and scam them offline.

Beware of them!!!

Oga, go to Romance section. This is not the thread for your tantrums. Thank you.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by ibkayee(f): 12:11pm On Mar 28, 2020
pocohantas:

I need to be sure I made no mistakes. We need to keep the masses enlightened.

Sir Peeress, can you authorize this thread. Maybe give your inputs. You must have seen a lot in your time as an ED of a bank.

Thanks baby. kiss

I'm sure plenty of scammers are trying to take advantage of this situation kiss

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by ExAngel007(f): 12:22pm On Mar 28, 2020
nice one dear
Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by Nobody: 12:47pm On Mar 28, 2020
Also the fake websites announcing the federal government is giving out free data or free money.

I have seen two so far.

33 Likes

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by pocohantas(f): 12:59pm On Mar 28, 2020
ornicus:
Also the fake websites announcing the federal government is giving out free data or free money.

I have seen two so far.

Thanks for this, totally forgot about it.

When sensible people give verifiable suggestions, you will know.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by Octopusssy(f): 1:04pm On Mar 28, 2020
I am shocked people still fall for these old formats.

3 Likes

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by Lovelies1: 1:08pm On Mar 28, 2020
Cool thread
Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by GboyegaD(m): 1:08pm On Mar 28, 2020
One can't be too careful. Don't trust all you read without investigating and ensure you follow your instincts carefully. Do not click on everything you see and minimize your movements to only during the day since our roads are deserted this season.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by BarrElChapo(m): 1:08pm On Mar 28, 2020
angry
Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by SweetCunt97(f): 1:08pm On Mar 28, 2020
What about the 'I am a widow without foodstuffs or I have kids with no money to feed them"

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by iCauseTrouble: 1:08pm On Mar 28, 2020
l
Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by lmm4real: 1:09pm On Mar 28, 2020
I don't have any thing to say or add, except what I have just said. undecided

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by nairalanduseles: 1:09pm On Mar 28, 2020
The rotten meat seller

Claiming he is an online businessman

Looking for clients right here

We all know him

31 Likes

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by DesignHave: 1:09pm On Mar 28, 2020
shocked
Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by asobo: 1:09pm On Mar 28, 2020
Bb
Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by DrChukki: 1:09pm On Mar 28, 2020
In 2015 when my Dad started seeing me with laptop regularly, he called me to advise me.

He told me of different scam that reigned during their youthful days in the 1970s and 1980s and how alot of young guys made lots of money with them.

Then he said, none of those men is alive now. They all raised useless children and their wealth and family crashed in their presence before they died.

He concluded, don't reap another man's sweat. You might think is smartness but you don't know you're eating your future, giving yourself inner troubles and destroying your future family. Diligent pays.

Scam does not pay.

If you're a scammer, you can make money but you won't be rich.

91 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by abbaapple: 1:09pm On Mar 28, 2020
angry

Please call this useless customer care below!

0816 323 6326
He defrauded so many people as at yesterday cos of this Coro!

5 Likes

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by Johnbosco77(m): 1:09pm On Mar 28, 2020
It's only heartless fellas that will think of scamming people in this precarious situation..

Let's stay safe and stay alive...

4 Likes

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by NigerianMan: 1:10pm On Mar 28, 2020
LATEST SCAM IN NIGERIA

PRESIDENT BUHARI IS IN NIGERIA

18 Likes

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:10pm On Mar 28, 2020
Coronavirus Cure: Impressive Results From French Researcher On Covid-19

American entrepreneur, investor, and speaker, Michael Coudrey, who serves as the chairman and CEO of the Pharos Investment Group, revealed on his twitter handle that French physician & microbiologist who conducted the original study showcasing the Effectiveness of.......

https://www.nairaland.com/5760698/coronavirus-cure-impressive-results-french#87847269
Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by Nobody: 1:10pm On Mar 28, 2020
Careful
Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by sam4noow(m): 1:10pm On Mar 28, 2020
Ohh Dammn Shiiitttt niggggarrr

Yahoo Yahoo

I can tell you their C.E.O's profile..

Name: Muhammadu Buhari

State of origin: Katsina

Full time job/ Occupation: Fulani heardsman/Yahoo boy

Side Hustle: President

Have you ever encountered any of his followers:::;;

Yes I've , I see them everyday both live and on the internet..

Can you tell us anyone you've ever encountered on internet::::::;;;

Yes I know of one MANNA THE DEAD MEAT GRILLER he's one of the Zombies stronghold member on Nairaland grin grin

Thank you..........

16 Likes

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by Thebwoy: 1:11pm On Mar 28, 2020
Make 10k daily with your phone while at home using these simple steps. grin

It's working effectively

Fear these motivational speakers abi financial Messiah's as well.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by Chronicle222: 1:11pm On Mar 28, 2020
U
Re: Different Scams You Should Be On The Lookout For This Season. by Tag14: 1:11pm On Mar 28, 2020
This are all old outdated format nah

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Armed Robbers Blow Up Bullion Van Loaded With Cash In Johannesburg (Pics, Video / Nigerian Cultist 'Gbaja Marine' Killed By Rival Cult Group In Ghana. Photos / EFCC Arrests Two For N768.5 Million Fraud In Lagos (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.