Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:07 AM

Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience (108317 Views)

How COVID-19 Dead Bodies Are Buried By NCDC Officials (Video) / 12 New COVID-19 Cases Confirmed By NCDC, Total Now 151 / My Experience Trying To Get Tested For Covid-19 In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by SinisterX(m): 12:19pm On Mar 29, 2020
Coronavirus: A Facebook User’s Experience Of Getting Tested In Abuja

ATTENTION: PRESIDENCY & FED. MINISTRY OF HEALTH

To tell you the truth, NCDC can't do anything for you because they are not ready.
All this PR they are doing they are assuming people will not try that's why.
On Wednesday (25/03/2020) I and a colleague of mine decided we want to be sure of our status before going into #selfisolation.

So we went through the following steps

1. We called the toll free line and after all the normal recorded stories, when we chose to speak to an agent they end the call.

2. We went to University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada, they told us they don't do testing there, that the hospital is only an isolation center. They refer us back to NCDC office in town, told us that's where testing lab is.

3. We drove to NCDC office at Jabi. There are two NCDC offices there in close proximity. The first office told us they don't do testing but they directed us to the second office saying that's where testing is handled.

4. The second office too absolved themselves of that responsibility and directed us to NCDC National Reference Laboratory, Gaduwa.

5. We visited the NCDC NRL. On getting there, the security at the gate informed us that a lot of people were there too earlier in the day and were turned away. That they don't do testing for individuals unless your state took your sample and submit to them.

6.They refer us to a circular posted at the gate and told us to contact the FCT Epidemiology team lead on COVID-19.

7. When I called him I introduced myself by name and then asked him if he's the FCT team lead on this issue. He answered yes. I then asked him how do I go about getting tested. He asked who are you? Who gave you my number? I told him I'm an Abuja resident and his number is on a circular at the NCDC office. He told us he doesn't know. He said we should go to NCDC. I told him but they referred us to you. He was silent. I then asked him to advise us. He told us to go to "National Health Disease Control" which doesn't exist.

I will send a copy of the circular to this forum.

Obviously they are doing selective testing which is dangerous.

It means a lot of people might have been infected already but for lack of testing they are moving about infecting others.

While the information from the official channels are saying people are not coming forth, the truth is that people are going but are been turned away.

And I know because I was turned away first hand.

It also tells you that either the NCDC are lying to us or they are not coordinated at all. How will you explain three branches of the office each denying responsibility and pointing us to the next instead of just explaining to us the laid down procedures by the NCDC

https://m.facebook.com/673827759324224/posts/3897292313644403/

382 Likes 50 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by ogtavia(m): 12:29pm On Mar 29, 2020
SinisterX:
ATTENTION: PRESIDENCY & FED. MINISTRY OF HEALTH

To tell you the truth, NCDC can't do anything for you because they are not ready.
All this PR they are doing they are assuming people will not try that's why.
On Wednesday (25/03/2020) I and a colleague of mine decided we want to be sure of our status before going into #selfisolation.
So we went through the following steps
1. We called the toll free line and after all the normal recorded stories, when we chose to speak to an agent they end the call.
2. We went to University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada, they told us they don't do testing there, that the hospital is only an isolation center. They refer us back to NCDC office in town, told us that's where testing lab is.
3. We drove to NCDC office at Jabi. There are two NCDC offices there in close proximity. The first office told us they don't do testing but they directed us to the second office saying that's where testing is handled.

4. The second office too absolved themselves of that responsibility and directed us to NCDC National Reference Laboratory, Gaduwa.

5. We visited the NCDC NRL. On getting there, the security at the gate informed us that a lot of people were there too earlier in the day and were turned away. That they don't do testing for individuals unless your state took your sample and submit to them.

6.They refer us to a circular posted at the gate and told us to contact the FCT Epidemiology team lead on COVID-19.

7. When I called him I introduced myself by name and then asked him if he's the FCT team lead on this issue. He answered yes. I then asked him how do I go about getting tested. He asked who are you? Who gave you my number? I told him I'm an Abuja resident and him number is on a circular at the NCDC office. He told us he doesn't know. He said we should go to NCDC. I told him but they referred us to you. He was silent. I then asked him to advise us. He told us to go to "National Health Disease Control" which doesn't exist.
I will send a copy of the circular to this forum.
Obviously they are doing selective testing which is dangerous.
It means a lot of people might have been infected already but for lack of testing they are moving about infecting others.

While the information from the official channels are saying people are not coming forth, the truth is that people are going but are been turned away.
And I know because I was turned away first hand.

It also tells you that either the NCDC are lying to us or they are not coordinated at all. How will you explain three branches of the office each denying responsibility and pointing us to the next instead of just explaining to us the laid down procedures by the NCDC

Have you finally gotten tested? Because I want to get tested. Can we discuss on WhatsApp?

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by whytepawn1(m): 12:40pm On Mar 29, 2020
I knew it. It will soon bore down to who you know and your status in the society.

569 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by onyotakom: 12:54pm On Mar 29, 2020
it is official. We are on our own.

485 Likes 31 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by SinisterX(m): 1:05pm On Mar 29, 2020
ogtavia:

Have you finally gotten tested? Because I want to get tested. Can we discuss on WhatsApp?
I got this info from a facebook user (Anon) he just went home to self isolate. I would advice you only go for testing if you’re seeing serious symptoms if not just stay at home

114 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Seun(m): 10:24pm On Mar 29, 2020
If this is true, how did they hide it from us? I'm yet to read about any Nairalander based in Nigeria who actually has the Coronavirus Disease....

Update: I have seen two. There could be more.

153 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by EvilPOTATO(m): 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2020
Treatment would be free

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Dobson43: 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2020
cry

This is clueless at its peak. So the figures they keep touting every day is indeed fictional.

In other words while they are playing politics with covid one nine birus, the shit is getting real and about to hit the fan

221 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Cmanforall: 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2020
OP saying they are doing selective screening is right.
Is selective screening appropriate in this kind of situation? YES.

Should they use individual's economic or social status for screening? NO!

Why are they (NCDC) doing it this way?
I don't know.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by JamParkMe: 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2020
That person seeking a test right now is an unserious fellow. They are only testing those with symptoms such as fever, cough and body aches who may have been exposed to an infected person. There are very limited number of testing kits to go around, so yes of course screening is selective. Even in America and Europe, they are only testing people with symptoms, so why did your friend think he can just get tested like that?

188 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Covid19Control: 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2020
It has been very difficult for average Nigerians in Nigeria to get tested. In most cases, they are screened out as low priority.

For this reason, we came together to setup a First-Contact service for average Nigerians.

Everything you need to know about our strategy to give full attention to everyone is on our Nairaland thread.

We have repeatedly reached out to persons who indicated that they were experiencing certain Covid-19 associated symptoms, offered medical advise, and channeled the data to the responsible government agencies for immediate intervention.

Here's a link to our thread - https://www.nairaland.com/5761835/fill-form-experiencing-symptoms-covid-19

24 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by EvilPOTATO(m): 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2020
Seun:
If this is true, how did they hide it from us? I'm yet to read about any Nairalander based in Nigeria who actually has the Coronavirus Disease....
cc Iamj grin
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by hedonister: 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2020
It's a shame really that we're not ready. Thousands re still waiting to be tested.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Balenciagaokey: 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2020
sad
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Balenciagaokey: 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2020
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by SoliBayNG: 10:30pm On Mar 29, 2020
Lord help us, because we are all on our own.

9 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 29, 2020
May Almighty God continue to be always protecting all securing us from this deadly virus, no matter how its may Almighty God never let it know it direction to our lifes and all our family and friends amen

9 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Slawormir: 10:30pm On Mar 29, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr

Isoright
Not only ncdc office can conduct the test

hospitals in Abuja, Lagos and Edo have the capacity to test for the virus
That gwagwaladar hospital nor want run am
Or rather let them set ncdc lab in each state

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by DropsMic(m): 10:30pm On Mar 29, 2020
No surprise here.

The cases in Africa are low because we don't have enough testing kits.

When the virus was yet to get into Africa instead of our leaders to do the right thing they were busy forming we can handle it.

Now see our life.

The virus has crippled our economy
It has crippled our health system
The few doctors we have are overworked (some are in hiding)
Everyone is clueless including the president

Africa as a continent just tire me.

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by toffyz(m): 10:31pm On Mar 29, 2020
Nigeria health workers are one of the most harsh, hot-tempered, negligible,unethical, unprofessional set of people you can ever come across in the whole world.

What will it take them to explain to them the reason behind this...or perhaps calm them down by counseling them.

129 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Chekwube1989(m): 10:31pm On Mar 29, 2020
That is Nigeria for u
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Emily22(m): 10:31pm On Mar 29, 2020
O serious

God sev tire for our matter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by ednut1(m): 10:31pm On Mar 29, 2020
But Davido could take 32 people along for test plus a governor has done 6 times

132 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by sammirano: 10:31pm On Mar 29, 2020
We already know that those figures are bull shi t. Useless govt.

16 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by MOVIC6: 10:31pm On Mar 29, 2020
damn country
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by sammirano: 10:32pm On Mar 29, 2020
Seun:
Those figures are fabricated. One idiot will just wake up and tell them to add a certain no.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by styless(f): 10:32pm On Mar 29, 2020
Wawu!
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by timocruzcmbb(m): 10:33pm On Mar 29, 2020
See gobe.he like say them they fear too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Salvador1: 10:33pm On Mar 29, 2020
Chisos

Buhari and his clown are fraud

5 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by iPOOPinURmouth: 10:33pm On Mar 29, 2020
just forget all these testing and shit. the corona stuff is not that serious in africa or let me say nigeria. i can assure you that if they go testing everyone from street to street, we will have atleast 5 positive cases in each street. i do not know of places like island. but for mainland e don spread finish. the fact that we are not seeing breakouts means the virus is not that active on nigerians

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Beremx(f): 10:33pm On Mar 29, 2020
It will never catch any nairaland member. How would it catch us when we don’t work again and we are glued to nairaland? It is well cheesy
Seun:

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by yusufu16: 10:33pm On Mar 29, 2020
That is the bitter truth.

Truth is there are no enough Testing Machine in th country. So they are now doing selective testing.

1000s of Nigerians are already carrying and spreading this Virus

24 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) / Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial / Benefits Of African Black Soap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.