Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,177 members, 7,780,240 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:15 AM

Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? (1853 Views)

Saraki Or Tinubu? Who Rocks It Better? / Battle Of Party Headties, Who Wore It Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 30, 2010
Tippy Top:

Sorry to ask this but do you struggle to form an opinion?
The entire site is filled with your fukkingg "emoticons".
Na by force to post. Jeeeeeeeeeze!!!!
Happy New You in advance. Laters!!!

smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by TippyTop(m): 8:59pm On Dec 30, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry

Where've you gone? Is it to do with anything I said? Lol!!!
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 30, 2010
Tippy Top:

Where've you gone? Is it to do with anything I said? Lol!!!

shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 30, 2010
SapeleGuy:

See as Gundelero Rita just dey fire shots like say she dey war front.

On a serious note, most of us are suffering delusions of grandeur.
Let us be frank, GCE pass rate was 2%, which means 98% failed.
Thanks to the combination of laziness, settlement mentality and the vagabonds in power.
Can we really expect anything better?

Imagine if British kids have to learn and write their exams in Yoruba. They too will face the same problems Nigerians are having with English. It has nothing to do with how smart you are.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by TippyTop(m): 9:10pm On Dec 30, 2010
Aigbofa:

Imagine if British kids have to learn and write their exams in Yoruba. They too will face the same problems Nigerians are having with English. It has nothing to do with how smart you are.

Pleasantly surprised at your inteligent reply. O'l boy you no really dey craze o. You coulda fooled me. Nice reply.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 30, 2010
Tippy Top:

Pleasantly surprised at your inteligent reply. O'l boy you no really dey craze o. You coulda fooled me. Nice reply.

Now it's [b]your [/b]turn to surprise us that you're not really crazed. lol jk jk
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by SapeleGuy: 9:45pm On Dec 30, 2010
Aigbofa:

That my friend is a very very weak excuse.

"The quality of teachers and teaching is abysmal. Unmotivated teachers, poor quality of teaching and low learning outcomes are rife across all levels of education According to the Kwara State Commissioner for Education, an aptitude and capacity test was organised for a total of 19,125 teachers in the State’s public school system in 2008. Out of these, 2,628 were university graduates.

The teachers were given tests that were designed originally for primary four pupils in English and Mathematics. At the end of the exercise, only seven teachers out of the 19,125 crossed the minimum aptitude and capacity threshold. Only one out of the 2,628 graduate teachers passed the test, 10 graduates scored outright zero.The teachers fared worse in literacy assessments which recorded only 1.2% pass rate."

http://www.nigeriaplus.com/a-roadmap-for-education-in-nigeria-part-1-by-bunmi-lawson/
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 30, 2010
SapeleGuy:

That my friend is a very very weak excuse.

"The quality of teachers and teaching is abysmal. Unmotivated teachers, poor quality of teaching and low learning outcomes are rife across all levels of education According to the Kwara State Commissioner for Education, an aptitude and capacity test was organised for a total of 19,125 teachers in the State’s public school system in 2008. Out of these, 2,628 were university graduates.

The teachers were given tests that were designed originally for primary four pupils in English and Mathematics. At the end of the exercise, only seven teachers out of the 19,125 crossed the minimum aptitude and capacity threshold. Only one out of the 2,628 graduate teachers passed the test, 10 graduates scored outright zero.The teachers fared worse in literacy assessments which recorded only 1.2% pass rate."

http://www.nigeriaplus.com/a-roadmap-for-education-in-nigeria-part-1-by-bunmi-lawson/

You can take the best teachers in the world to England to teach British Kids how to read and write in Yoruba, teach them every other subjects in Yoruba. Trust me, they will be disadvantaged ab initio, compared with their counterparts whose native language is Yoruba.

Of course, many will catch on, some will even excel and a lot will just get confused just like in Nigeria today.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by OAM4J: 10:34pm On Dec 30, 2010
Aigbofa:

You can take the best teachers in the world to England to teach British Kids how to read and write in Yoruba, teach them every other subjects in Yoruba. Trust me, they will be disadvantaged ab initio, compared with their counterparts whose native language is Yoruba.

Of course, many will catch on, some will even excel and a lot will just get confused just like in Nigeria today.

True. I also know that being a good 'words-smith' does not equate to intelligence. Not giving excuse for improper use of English, but some errors should be ignored

And the complaints about our accent should be a non-issue. Still cant get a foreigner to pronounce my Yoruba first-name correctly, even after repeating it more than 10 times.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by emofine(f): 10:39pm On Dec 30, 2010
errr   english is not our language to rescue undecided

Besides like the great laurette Chinua Achebe said, 'that any language that has the cheek to leave its primordial shores and encroach on the linguistic territory of other people should learn to come to terms with the inevitable reality that it would be domesticated.'

so whut iz my consern in meking enlgeesh beta
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by TippyTop(m): 10:41pm On Dec 30, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Now it's [b]your [/b]turn to surprise us that you're not really crazed. lol jk jk

You're now beginning to form opinions on issues rather than your usual emoticons. I say get it off your chest. (pun intended)
emofine:

errr   english is not our language to rescue undecided

Besides like the great laurette Chinua Achebe said, 'that any language that has the cheek to leave its primordial shores and encroach on the linguistic territory of other people should learn to come to terms with the inevitable reality that it would be domesticated.'

so whut iz my consern in meking enlgeesh beta

Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by SapeleGuy: 10:57pm On Dec 30, 2010
If you no fit speak English abeg leave the bugger alone, no be by force. Please speak your language.
No amount of patriotism will change the fact that these stray bullets being fired by these grammatical gunslingers is testament to our failed education system.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by bkbabe97y(m): 1:18am On Dec 31, 2010
Really tho, yall Ibos suck in the English-Speaking dept.!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can A Naturalized Foreigner Win Election In Nigeria / From Yahoo-yahoo To Kidneys For Money? / Retire Now, Sen Okpozo Tells Katsina-alu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.