Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel (8122 Views)

How Access Bank Treated Us Unjustly / Diamond Bank Or University Of South Florida / 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by tluv2(f): 7:13pm On Dec 29, 2010
Good pple of Nairaland, compliments of d season to y'all. Pls guys, i nid ur opinion and advise.

Presently i work wid Airtel as a call center agent (on contract n im stil in deir training skol ).
I got lucky n was offered Access Bank Entry Level. The training skool is likely to resume in early January.

Pls guys, where do u tink I should go for.
Airtel pays 74k wid 24k airtime. I dunno ow much Access will pay cos i heard gist dat dey reviewed d salary downward.
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by AjanleKoko: 7:20pm On Dec 29, 2010
Since you are on contract as a call center agent, i doubt you will make much progress at Airtel in the near term. I'm not ruling it out though.
Access Bank sounds like a more tangible opportunity, if you can handle the bank pressure. I know Access can be tough on their employees with performance targets and whatnot. But it's a more positive opportunity in my view.
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by tluv2(f): 7:32pm On Dec 29, 2010
i forgot to mention dat i ll be in Access training skol for 4months n ll be paid 30k during dat period, after dat i ll be bonded by d bank for 2yrs,

At Airtel, i culd be privy to insider info wen dere re job openings, n d job is a shift thingy so i ll hv time for my self,

Pls does anybody know or have an idea of wat d Access pay package is like,
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by deking(m): 10:10pm On Dec 29, 2010
My humble advise. The new airtel seems 2 be here 2 stay. If u give airtel ur best in no time u may climb up d ladder. With access bank d handwriting is already on the wall u may not be promoted soon what more airtel is paying u more.
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by fanistic(m): 6:44am On Dec 30, 2010
@t luv I got this airtel job here in portharcourt. I was told after the interview that it would be a CONTRACT job and subject to renewal every six months. I don't know much abt these so called contract jobs as to leave my present employment and go for another that probably doesn't have a future despite better salary. Please would u as to share more light on this offer before I pick it up since u work for airtel and u would know more abt their contract staffing. if u dont mind can i have u email addy / messenger id or bb pin. need some more info and clarification. thanks
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by tluv2(f): 8:26am On Dec 30, 2010
fanistic, smilitee@yahoo.com, since its a contract job, it culd either be renewed or terminated after 6months, i jus started n im in training skool at d moment.
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by calyx: 2:37pm On Dec 31, 2010
t-luv:

Good pple of Nairaland, compliments of d season to y'all. Pls guys, i nid your opinion and advise.

Presently i work wid Airtel as a call center agent (on contract n im stil in deir training skol ).
I got lucky n was offered Access Bank Entry Level. The training skool is likely to resume in early January.

Pls guys, where do u tink I should go for.
Airtel pays 74k wid 24k airtime. I dunno ow much Access will pay cos i heard gist dat dey reviewed d salary downward.

I would go with Access Bank. I was in Access Bank training school too for four months and it doesnt kill anyone. I think the pay in training is now about 45k. we earned 30k when we were there.

Depending on the career you really want to pursue, I think Access Bank in many ways will give you a greater leverage to launch your career because all of the bad things the bank is known for like stressing their staff, tough training etc only make the staff very attractive to other companies (in case you want to jump ship later). . .and you know am saying this from experience.

When you are done with training, the pay will not be less than 100k. Normal executive trainees earn abt 174k but fresh exec trainees will start from a lower level but I hear that the pay differential is not much so it could be well above 100k.

And then, job security in Access Bank is the highest in this industry because we have a very low staff strength so relatively, there is work to do. You can be asked to resign o dont get me wrong but then it must have to do with fraud or fraud related activities. We rarely ask people to resign because of performance these days because such people are now put in a special programme called PIP(performance improvement plan). And of course you know that with all of these CBN issues, no one was laid off from here.

So its ur choice really but Access Bank training school is the next best thing that can happen to anybody (you can find out).

I dont know too much about Airtel so am sorry I cant help you there.

Goodluck as you decide.

1 Like

Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by DisGuy: 6:14pm On Dec 31, 2010
Also depends on her future career goals, and where Access will be placing you, do they still do the marketing stunts with the girls? What department will you be Real Estates or Marketing after training school?

I'd be very tempted to stay with Airtel, work load is moderate, working hours are mostly fixed, working environment?

Only thing Access will have standard varied training you can use elsewhere especially if you are thinking of being in the business/finance path going forward and [s]you get to be called a banker not a cashier, customer service girl etc undecided[/s]
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by tluv2(f): 5:48pm On Jan 03, 2011
tanks guys,
, calyx, do u work dere presently?,
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by cecegorz(m): 1:33pm On Jan 04, 2011
@OP
Let's get this straight sweet heart.
Call center jobs are dead end jobs, sorry for folks working there right now. Especially where yours is a contract term, it's just like note counters/tellers in the banking industry, there is no opportunity to move you up in to the company's staff roles unless you go and do aptitude/interview afresh (that's if you are qualified). In fact, you are not technically a staff of Airtel, no benefits no allowances, it's pay as you go.

I will suggest you go for the Access offer while it lasts, don't look at the 30k/mth you will get paid during your 4months training, are you aware that if Access publishes today, that people should come and pay 500k for the training, and then get employment letter afterwards, you might not get a chance!

The trainings are to season you up so that you will hit the ground running, once you resume work. And then you have the real opportunity to grow and aspire to be whatever you want, you can even decide to go back to Airtel with your years of experience and bid for a better grade/pay.

Finally, though, it's your call.  cool

t-luv:

Airtel pays 74k wid 24k airtime.

What do you do with 24k airtime in a month, they shd give those kids 5k max and moneytise d rest now  grin

1 Like

Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by AjanleKoko: 3:30pm On Jan 04, 2011
^^
Nuff said.
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by seunallday: 7:09pm On Jan 05, 2011
Depends on what you really want to do with your life. Answer that question first then make your decision based on that. Every job has its ups and downs.

Personally, neither is my dream job but i l go for the Access Bank.
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by BAKAREAAT(m): 11:23am On Jan 06, 2011
Please dont deceive yourself,anything contract employment is always cheating i.e contracts can be terminated when least expected . apart from that contracts is not the real thing it is just that the govt of Nig is not leaving up to expectation in their civil responsibility,i mean poor implementation of labour and cope with injustice and lack of conclusive court process i.e you only hear a case has been filed at a court juridistion in one part of the country and this may take another generation if at all something will come out of the case.apart from these let us think rightly contracts employment,the employee will be denied of all the rights and you will discover that you are equally put in more as in input to the organization as compared to confirmed and bonafide staff and the end of the day slavery and exploitation is the order of the day.
For the bank job ,although the money is not encouraging at start but consider your life and future i.e Constant training and the job prospects is something to really pursue and to add positive value to oneself .Family and society at large ,All you need is to strategise and see how you will continue to move to the next level.But dont just resign ,make sure all your documents and proof that you will resume immediately has reach your hand before you resign from the GSM Shop.Again Airtel is a trading shop that deals on telecoms services ,all the experiences you have garther ,you can plough it back later in life i.e invest in this industry and even employ people even why you are still in the bank.and also encourage you to communicate to our God.
Above all the good Lord who is the alpha and omega will direct your part and show you which way to go in this struggle of destiny in jesus name Amen
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by sleekflexy(f): 2:10am On Jan 09, 2011
Go with the Access bank offer. You can't even compare the two, just look at it this way; stating on your CV that you worked as a 'Call center Agent(Contract staff)' or that you've worked in Access bank; that is you have banking experience?

Access B would train you and though the work would not be easy; you will gain loads of experience and confidence that would help and groom you up for your future.
And as for the pay; when you leave training school your salary would definitely be sweet and they give staff who are interested car loans which they deduct from your salary. The car package thing is not like found in any other bank. It's not like Airtel is not a good place to work too but working there as a 'contract staff' is just not it and the chances of you been converted is almost none, I know two people who are doing same since late 2009.
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by tluv2(f): 4:07pm On Jan 19, 2011
guys, tanks a bunch, im more enlightened on some stuffs now, fank u
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by goldng: 5:22pm On Oct 05, 2011
Hope Op took the right decision,
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by yamakuza: 6:38pm On Oct 05, 2011
grin) hope so too !
Re: Which Is A Better Place To Start A Career- Access Bank Or Airtel by MuskElon: 10:10pm On Jun 27, 2017
6.5 years later, I'm curious to know the choice the OP made, and If she feels it was the right one.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do You Have A Career Mentor? / Question: Roles Of An Bank Office Admin Staff / Job Professions Of High Demand In Canada That Leads To Work/permanent Residence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.