Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike (22317 Views)

PDP Will Beg Wike, We Have Made Mistakes - Governor Udom / 2023: We Will Kneel, Beg Wike Not To Dump Our Party – PDP / Sultan Of Sokoto: Hunger Virus Killing Nigerians More Than Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by AtikuNetwork: 11:57pm On Mar 31, 2020
https://thenationonlineng.net/dont-let-hunger-virus-kill-us-residents-beg-wike/

....Urge governor to allow markets sell food items

March 31, 2020

Mike Odiegwu, Port Harcourt

Residents of Rivers State especially persons living close to Mbiama, a border community between the state and Bayelsa, have begged Governor Nyesom Wike to review his total ban on markets across the state.

The residents said unless the governor allowed the selling of food items in the markets, they would die of ‘hunger virus’ even before the Coronavirus would get to their areas.

While they appreciated the efforts of the governor to protect Rivers citizens from the virus, the residents urged Wike to either roll out relief materials or allow the selling of only food items in markets.

Mrs. Robinson, a resident of Mbiama, said the popular market had been shut down for about a week since Wike ordered the closure of all markets in the state as part of measures to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus pandemic.

She said security operatives were on rampage at Mbiama market destroying food items to prevent people from either buying or selling.

She said hunger compelled the people in the area to confront the operatives, who insisted that nobody would sell anything at the market.

She said: “It is a terrible situation. The Coronavirus is not here but hunger wants to kill us. There is no way we can buy even foodstuffs and the government has not provided any relief materials. There is nothing in place to assist us.

“The people that have managed to get to the market are stranded. Soldiers and policemen will not allow anybody to buy anything. They destroy bags of garri. They would pour water on the fire of women frying yam along the road. The security forces and the market people have been fighting.

“The people are crying that they are hungry. What I am telling you has continued for over a week now since the governor made an announcement that markets should close down. I was thinking that the sell of other things apart from food would be affected by the order.

“I don’t know why they are not allowing foodstuffs that people depend on to live their lives. How are we going to survive. The market is closed because the security operatives will not allow people to either buy or sell.

Read Also; Senegal reports 13 new cases of COVID-19
“We were hungry and I sent my children to the market but they returned without buying anything. We only eat from hands to mouths. We don’t have money. Even lock-up shops are not allowed to open. What are we going to do? It is the hunger that will kill us before the Coronavirus will even come. The suffering is too much”.

Though Wike earlier ordered that all markets should be closed to contain the spread of the virus, the governor in latest directive exempted people providing essential goods and services.

He said the restrictive orders would not affect medical and pharmaceutical personnel, food and beverages, essential oil and gas staff, petroleum products and media workers and newspaper distributors.

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by socialmediaman: 11:59pm On Mar 31, 2020

1 Like

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Africonji: 12:01am On Apr 01, 2020
Nwike should please in the name of God roll out palliatives before hunger starts to kill those poor people.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by CoronaVirusPro: 12:01am On Apr 01, 2020
Wike that is mopping-up Rivers State treasury being his last term in office. To remain a power block in PDP, he requires money to maintain his political influence.

So Rivers State people should please not expect much.

Anybody that wants to die should go and jump off Chioba bridge.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by GreatResearcher1: 12:19am On Apr 01, 2020
Mr Project please pity for them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Ezemust: 12:45am On Apr 01, 2020
Wike please dont be wiked

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by ValCon888: 2:00am On Apr 01, 2020
HungerVirus is 2000x more deadly than Coronavirus.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by spafu(m): 4:39am On Apr 01, 2020
Hunvid 20

13 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by VivaDeAngelo(m): 4:40am On Apr 01, 2020
Hunger virus is more deadlier than Corona virus. It is now the reality of how our government has failed us over the years has become crystal clear. Especially African countries with low per capita income. May God save the poor cry

17 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by GrandMufti: 4:41am On Apr 01, 2020
Ok
Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Yankiss(m): 4:43am On Apr 01, 2020
This is unbelievable. An oil rich state cannot cater for her citizens in this kind of situation. Nigerian politicians are scum.

59 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by goldensoul55: 4:43am On Apr 01, 2020
See what a governor is saying ...

embarassed

Once a thug always a thug

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by easyfem(m): 4:44am On Apr 01, 2020
have said it bfor , two things involve in this matter , either u die of virus or u die of hunger .......... the best thing from my own side is to let pple go out and work after the 14 days isolation and within that time , gov shud try and put everything into places by introducing new law , like dont shake , use mask , glove and so on ... anyone who find guilty shud b arrest ... that is how this can work ....... alot of nigeria work base on a daily bread....... even in europ , gov cant keep given them money.....till when ..

5 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Dozie32(m): 4:44am On Apr 01, 2020
Abia state don start their own, but Igbo tribe disgust me. How can a paint of garri be sold at the rate of #1500-1800?? A locally produced garri.. A cup of rice is now #300-350 why?? Na so we go take get Biafra?

84 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Nobody: 4:45am On Apr 01, 2020
Funny enough thats the virus that will force Nigerians out soon enough.

4 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Coronavirus84: 4:46am On Apr 01, 2020
Our Government in Nigeria is not helping matter at all.
Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Onyeedum(m): 4:47am On Apr 01, 2020
It doesn't affect the rich, so una voice won't be heard.

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by ebuka10box(m): 4:48am On Apr 01, 2020
Woke is doing the right thing but he would have provided something for the poor. Covid 19 got nothing to do with religion. I love God and I tell u God has promised us better things not to punish the world. Who else has noticed russia is very quiet about this stuff. Ask trump, Iranian president , Chinese president, Vladimir Putin , north Korean president, Israeli president they know what's happening to the world

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by VillagePipu: 4:48am On Apr 01, 2020
Wike doesn't even have regards for Rivers people, treating them like animals. It's as if he doesn't wish them well. Look at Dapo Abiodun who gave his people some time to stock up, does he have 2 heads.

Rivers people made a big mistake voting Wike for the second time and karma is using the same Wike to punish them.

8 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Numero9: 4:53am On Apr 01, 2020
Hunger virus is deadlier and should be taken more seriously!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by OsewaBoy: 4:54am On Apr 01, 2020
[s]
CoronaVirusPro:
Wike that is mopping-up Rivers State treasury being his last term in office. To remain a power block in PDP, he requires money to maintain his political influence.

So Rivers State people should please not expect much.

Anybody that wants to die should go and jump off Chioba bridge.
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Humanoid01(m): 4:54am On Apr 01, 2020
Only a tyrant speaks this way.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Saveworld2020: 4:55am On Apr 01, 2020
maybe try to plant something?
It might not work right now, at least last for a long long time
Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by iammo(m): 4:56am On Apr 01, 2020
this is one thing Audio Governor Seyi Makinde did differently, he left some markets where foods are sold and ask for strict compliance to social distancing

1 Like

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by bjprodint(f): 4:58am On Apr 01, 2020
President Buhari-Dont let hunger virus kill us in Abuja,you just locked down every where, no food ,no water(a bag of pure water is 200 naira)

We can't go out to look for what to eat,I couldn't sleep last night, I was just rolling in d bed,due to hunger,neighbours who sell things at home have increased the price by 100%.pls help us.

5 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Muyiwaipere(m): 5:01am On Apr 01, 2020
We shall be saved..abeg who Dey leave aremound tgat ibafo a is make we go sha Marli together
Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by medTechworld(f): 5:02am On Apr 01, 2020
embarassed
Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Anwons(m): 5:04am On Apr 01, 2020
Is Rivers money meant to be shared during elections time only?

Wike is spiritually and physically wiked.

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by ruffDiamond: 5:08am On Apr 01, 2020
More like no money as guys no fit comot go Hussle..No be money u go take buy the food
Nigerians are used to daily Hussle ooo

Anyway street market dey open for my hood inside fct here,guys playing ball and chasing skirt tongue
Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by virginboy1(m): 5:11am On Apr 01, 2020
*Two worlds*

Some are staying indoor with 24hrs electricity supply and emergency services operational.

They can easily place orders online or make calls if they run out of supplies (food/groceries/toiletries) or need medical attention with thousands of volunteers (delivery guys/health workers/police) responding.

Another world, citizens are scared of staying indoor, how are they going to survive indoors for a month.

No electricity, no money, no food.

If they run out of supplies or they need medical attention, who are they going to call

I see some people breaking out of the lockdown after 1-2months[/b]and breaking into various stores to survive. But i pray it won't get to that

[b]:Explorer

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by nobone(f): 5:13am On Apr 01, 2020
The strongest issue here is the money to buy the food. My job is pay as you go. The lockdown isn't helping at all. The weeks ahead..... only God knows.

5 Likes

Re: Don’t Let ‘hunger Virus’ Kill Us, Residents Beg Wike by Nobody: 5:14am On Apr 01, 2020
goldensoul55:
See what a governor is saying ...

embarassed

Once a thug always a thug

Please tell me this is edited

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why South-East PDP Govs Are Considering Defection To APC / ESN Operatives Inform Anambra Community Of Planned Attack / APC Supporter Begs Peter Obi To Contribute His Ideas To Tinubu Administration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.