Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,260 members, 7,780,573 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:44 PM

The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? (52607 Views)

Battle Between Nigeria Army And IMN Today (Graphic Pics) / Soldiers Foil Suicide Attack At Nigeria Army Base / Troops Dismantle Boko Haram Fuel Terrorist Depot (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by deex(m): 10:53pm On Jun 05, 2007
There is no hypothetical yardstick whatsoever for this topic except that I and some friends got into a squabble over it, so facts rather than connotations would help in channeling this debate to the right audience.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by ToToChoper: 11:37pm On Jun 05, 2007
Hahaha!!!very funny indeed. This ought to be in the jokes section. Best in Land troops!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by MILITIA(f): 11:55pm On Jun 05, 2007
What a very expensive joke! angry Anyway, you are in Nigeria so do not know any better despite all the History and Geography your Minister of Education in Nigeria gave you! Just watch some movies okay?  The information you will get from the movies will keep you close enough to the real thing! You mean best in "419" troops- land, sea and air! shocked

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by naijaway(m): 2:23am On Jun 06, 2007
Yes we have the best land troops on earth without airforce and missiles. Nigerian army should not even focus on other things like flying or navy. They can just increase their trainning, technology for bringing anything that flies to its knees with africa's resources, and somehow come up with a way to disable warships thousands of miles away. And lastly, be discipline not just beating up civilians they supposed to be protecting.
Anybody can say this is funny and this and that but the truth and potentials remain. I mean if our military and civilians start being discipline and innovative, we can bring respect without being in combat but also ready for whatever. Japan is like the population of Nigeria, and they are this developed, God knows they are not better than us.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by Nobody: 8:52am On Jun 06, 2007
Nigeria Army ?? Best ??

Hmm, lets see.

Land Army yes the best in Africa, Airforce trying but still very far from a high tech outfit, Navy - Useless.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by denex: 9:28am On Jun 06, 2007
The Nigerian army is not th best in Infantry. The statement people are trying to quote is that Nigerian soldiers working in the UN peace keeping force, after being retrained and equipped with standard weapons body armour and support services, are among the top 3 most efficient. Including Bangladesh and Pakistani Soldiers. Also the age of Nigerian soldiers in the UN Peace Corps shows that they are well experienced. Most of them are averagely 30years old.
Unlike ground soldiers of Japan and the US where you can still find 18year olds.

Anyway, about this same rating, it was in a year that the UN assessed Nigerian, Bangladeshi and Pakistani soldiers the best 3 in infantry. The list did not say forever and ever. Every year a new assessment is made. There was a time Swiss soldiers were the best, there was a time it was French soldiers.

All the same, if the Nigerian Army can provide the kind of weapons, armour and aerial support as the ones provided by the UN, no doubt we'll have one of the best infantries in the world.

And by the way, people should not judge reality by watching action movies. In action movies, the US won the Vietnam war, which they actually lost, in action movies, the US and south Korea won the Korean war, which they actually lost, and in movies we see Chuck Norris and Rambo alone fighting millions of VietKong or North Korean soldiers, but the war veterans have admitted it was a 1 on 1 affair. So let's seperate reality from cinematography.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by JustGood(m): 10:47am On Jun 06, 2007
Ignorant and ill-educated people who have all their information from western produced movies and western biased documentaries.

You have to believe the worst of yourself to always castigate anything that has to do with your own people, however illogical it may be.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by MILITIA(f): 2:27pm On Jun 06, 2007
Here comes another "Joseph the dreamer"! lipsrsealed
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by ishmael(m): 6:16pm On Jun 06, 2007
naijaway:

Yes we have the best land troops on earth without airforce and missiles. Nigerian army should not even focus on other things like flying or navy. They can just increase their trainning, technology for bringing anything that flies to its knees with africa's resources, and somehow come up with a way to disable warships thousands of miles away.

Which plane them wan bring down?? American fighter planes  or British fighter plane, abi na Israel own?? cheesy cheesy grin grin Bros befor you hear sound of plane e don carry out destruction return back to base sef. no decieve yourself. Abi you think say na the kind yeye planes wey Nigeria get them dey take fight war for air?? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by naijaway(m): 8:44pm On Jun 06, 2007
I nio no wetin dey worry u, but u dey talk like say I talk something wey dey impossible, u never hear wen people dey yan say never say never. Bros, e dey very very possible but our people no go put head together do am instead we go dey busy dey plan how we go ask for aid. Na d same continent wey those people wey u call go come carry one or two things wey we no dey send now, make better ones pass wetin them get.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by initiate: 8:46pm On Jun 06, 2007
you guys need to see this in perspective.
with the type of equipment and support available, we should commend the nig army for still being operational. do you thingk the us army can exist for one day without all the tactical support etc? even with all that did they catch osama.
dint nigeria catch taylor?
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by naijaway(m): 8:59pm On Jun 06, 2007
u'r on point initiate, abeg inititate them.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by MILITIA(f): 11:18pm On Jun 06, 2007
@Ishmael

I think they mean Okada, Chichangi, Sosoliso, Aerofloat, Kabo and all those molue in the airs Nigeria brags about!
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by Biafralord(m): 6:46am On Jun 07, 2007
There is no army in Africa greater than the Biafran Army. Hail Biafra!!! If not for foreign assistance, Nigeria wouldn't have been able to defeat Biafra!!! The Igbos are getting ready to return to the promise land; the land of milk and honey. Yar'adua, let my people go!!!

Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by MILITIA(f): 12:39pm On Jun 07, 2007
Sorry oh my biafran brodas!  Una for be like th great China now!  In fact, the one and only true giant of Africa!  Una for don go far now! The only Vietnam in Africa!  I squat for una oh! cool Dem just mess up una progress! angry

Don't forget the role of our darling "western" brodas !  The original sell outs!  Always double talking from their mouths and arses at the same time!  Can never unite to do anything good!  Nigeria we wail thee! cry cry cry cry cry
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by Rubbermaid(f): 2:43pm On Jun 07, 2007
BEST? It's too cute the way we get to be so proud and make stark claims - regardless of facts

An old Nigerian adage goes something like this:

"The monkey who hasn't ventured far from his father's tree will always think that his forest is the biggest"
grin

My point is: Even within Africa, close observation may very well reveal that the Nigerian Army is far from being BEST in terms of Land Troops or any other factors - not to talk of WORLDWIDE.

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by Mamajama(m): 3:00pm On Jun 07, 2007
Beside the training that they have, have they been exposed to practical training? have they been to any war? so you can not asses them as the best when they can't even find the criminals in Niger Delta.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by denex: 4:57pm On Jun 07, 2007
@MAMAJAMA

All infantry training for the Nigerian military is practical. Either inside the Nigerian Jungles or Sierra Leone, or Liberia. A lot of them die. Only the best survivors remain. The Navy, Airforce, Medical and Engineering personnel recieve lots of theoretical training but the infantry soldiers learn take their first and subsequent tests on the field.

The Niger-Delta matter is very political. If the army is unleashed on those people, there will be a massacre resulting in the deaths of not less than 7 million people and it will not last long. That kind of disaster is what will finally dry the in from the pen that is trying to write Nigeria's name in the good books.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by naijaway(m): 9:21pm On Jun 07, 2007
@rubbermaid, who told u nigerian army haven't fought in wars outside nigeria. In Africa nigerian army is the most pratical from sierra leone, liberia, congo, sao tome,  botswana, mogadishu, and currently in chad, sudan, Ivory coast, haiti, and lebanon doing peace keeping jobs.  I know we have a long way to go and a lot of our people disregard and don't support them because of their past roles and doubts about the black power but that doesn't warrant anyone to disrespect us. One day na one day they with the help of civilians like me they will be the best.
As for niger delta, if they decide to unleash a pint of their wrath, I mean when the jews want to complain of genocide they will say with the exception of niger-delta.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by JustGood(m): 9:36am On Jun 08, 2007
MILITIA:

Here comes another "Joseph the dreamer"! lipsrsealed

Just check yourself. I'd rather be Joseph than take my facts in life from movies.

imagine yourself telling people to take what they see in films and movies as what real life is about.

Pathetic indeed.

As long as we have people who try to pass off as Nigerians taking in what they see in movies as real life, we will constantly be beneath and never above.

This person thinks that when she sees a white soldier in a movie destroying 1000s of black soldiers, that is what happens in real life.

mumulicious person
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by BlackMamba(m): 2:57pm On Jun 08, 2007
Well, they are the best in policing their own citizens while the police is relegated to traffic enforcement. They can be very effective quelling civil disobedience with horse whips and more often live shots.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by Rubbermaid(f): 4:38pm On Jun 08, 2007
naijaway:

@rubbermaid, who told u nigerian army haven't fought in wars outside nigeria. In Africa nigerian army is the most pratical from sierra leone, liberia, congo, sao tome, botswana, mogadishu, and currently in chad, sudan, Ivory coast, haiti, and lebanon doing peace keeping jobs. I know we have a long way to go and a lot of our people disregard and don't support them because of their past roles and doubts about the black power but that doesn't warrant anyone to disrespect us. One day na one day they with the help of civilians like me they will be the best.
As for niger delta, if they decide to unleash a pint of their wrath, I mean when the jews want to complain of genocide they will say with the exception of niger-delta.

@naijaway, either the bottle was speaking or something - Where in my post did you see me say "Nigerian Army haven't fought in wars outside nigeria."

Abeg cross-reference your posts before you mis-yarn. Maybe someone else said such but not me, as much as I think the person that said so may actually be on point, I do not KNOW that for a fact and won't/haven't opened my mouth on what I don't know.

Also., when you make a blanket statement like Nigerian Army is the most practical in Africa, can you substantiate yourself. What does it mean to be practical, then most practical, and what are the criteria considered for your [b]extremely [/b]broad conclusion?

Anyone can mis-yarn. Make sure you have something tangible to say though lipsrsealed
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by naijaway(m): 8:41pm On Jun 08, 2007
They are the most pratical and the best in black Africa period. no matter how ill equipped they may be. Why is the AU headquaters in Nigeria then? Don't you think they would have put it anywhere else.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by BlackMamba(m): 10:02pm On Jun 08, 2007
naijaway:
Why is the AU headquaters in Nigeria then? Don't you think they would have put it anywhere else.

When was AU (former OAU) headquarters moved from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to Nigeria?
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by naijaway(m): 10:07pm On Jun 08, 2007
Recently, and is currently in ABUJA.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by denex: 10:08am On Jun 09, 2007
@ MAMAJAMA

your words were: have they been exposed to practical training? Have they been to ANY wars?

I want to make it clear here that Nigerian infantry soldiers only take practical training and they prove their worth in battle fields. Them don fight war all over Africa so tay dem dey do peace keeping for all them Bosnia and Serbia. My Neighbour was their.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by Rubbermaid(f): 10:19am On Jun 09, 2007
Granted, we have sometimes deployed 'troops' for face time in certain situations - for example, one of my dad's orderlies went to Bosnia back in 1994/5 and really, they just sat in camps etc, I am also aware that we have done peace keeping runs like ECOMOG. And though admittedly vague on Biafra, I am not sure that our army has been engaged in a real 'war' though.

On the other hand, we don't need a real war to measure preparedness in terms of training, artillery etc, I am just confused that people could think that the Nigerian Army is best in the world without any meaningful comparisons in terms of past performance or any other facts to substantiate their very broad claims.

Sitting on your front porch, stretching your legs and proclaiming that one is best is not sufficient. undecided

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by gmemdee(m): 2:25pm On Jun 09, 2007
@rubbermaid your posts are quite illuminating.Accept my praise for your logical analysis
of the issue.
A few words of mine:
We should note that the UN's rating is strictly based on performance during peacekeeping
missions. The UN is in no position to judge the fighting capability of national armies.

To make this debate scientific,and beyond our patriotic emotions, we would have to introduce measurable parameters by which to judge armies. Ofcourse it goes without saying that such a scientific treatment of the issue would be impossible in this forum.

In the interim,however, i feel that the issue of which army is the best or whatever else,
should not be the immediate concern of a backward nation like Nigeria. Japan has, for the last four decades, been a largely pacifist nation but i doubt that more than a few nations have their clout.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by Reverend(m): 2:28pm On Jun 09, 2007
Nigeria has the best land troops?

What have you been sniffing? Name one African Country with a decent army? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by ohelala: 4:43pm On Oct 03, 2008
Nigeria has the best military in the world. We have the most seasoned officers in the entire world.

Their main area of specialization includes over invoicing of contracts, political concocting, international money transfer to swiss accounts in US$, and the sheer fact that most of them have even forgotten where the trigger of the gun is.

Ours is indeed the best in the world MILITARILY.
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by WilyWily: 5:07pm On Oct 03, 2008
Nigeria Army=Best Land Arm Robbers WorldWide
Re: The Nigeria Army: Best In Land Troops Worldwide? by texazzpete(m): 5:17pm On Oct 03, 2008
@ohelala
Why are you going round resurrecting dead threads?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Will Beat You To Death Anytime I Catch You – Tompolo Warns Festus Keyamo / Glaring Difference Between Igbo And Biafra / Wedding Of 87-Years-Old Cyrus Nunieh And Ijeoma In Rivers State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.