Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,431 members, 7,800,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

Bomb Blast In Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bomb Blast In Abuja (28665 Views)

Graphic Photos From The Scene Of Yesterday's Bomb Blast In Kuje,Abuja / Bomb Blast In Gombe, Outside PDP Presidential Campaign Rally / Abuja Naija @50 Bomb Blast In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bomb Blast In Abuja by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 31, 2010
At least 11 people have been killed in an explosion in a market near a barracks in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, military sources have told the BBC.

Nigeria's military chief said a bomb had been planted to target people celebrating New Year's Eve.

The explosion happened in the Mammy market, where people often gather to eat and drink beer.

Air Marshal Oluseyi Petirin blamed "devilish people" but did not name any group or give a possible motive.

He also declined to give any casualty figures.

State TV has said 30 people were killed but this has not been confirmed.

Witnesses have told the BBC they saw body parts lying on the ground and injured people being carried away after the blast.

The area has been sealed off.

Air Marshal Petirin said a bomb had been placed "where people were relaxing and generally being happy because of the New Year which is approaching".

He urged Nigerians to be vigilant following a recent spate of bomb attacks in a country where they had been almost unknown.

"Do not allow anybody to come and leave a bag, or any kind of object, especially when he is not there," he told state TV.

There have been bomb attacks in the capital and other cities in recent weeks:

On Wednesday, two blasts disrupted a political rally in the southern city of Yenagoa, wounding several people
Bomb attacks in the city of Jos, a flash-point between Nigerian Christians and Muslims, left 38 people dead over Christmas
In October, at least eight people were killed in explosions in Abuja as the country celebrated 50 years since independence from the UK - this was blamed on oil militants
The market is near the Sani Abacha barracks, named after Nigeria's late military dictator, in Asokoro district, home to the presidential palace and said to be the city's most secure area.

Officially renamed the Mogadishu Cantonment, the barracks is still known to many by its old name.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12099176

Bomb blast is reported at the mammy market, beside Sanni Abacha Barracks in Abuja. Any details?
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by showreals(m): 8:05pm On Dec 31, 2010
Yea i just got a call from someone that lives near by according to him

"Many people have died and many are being rushed to asokoro hospital
we might need to avoid public places this night"

angry angry
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 31, 2010
Thanks showreals, avoid public places, avoid crowd and avoid parked cars. You can have fun at home with the family. Nigeria is uncertain for now.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by fstrangest: 8:10pm On Dec 31, 2010
Is this how Ciroma and his ilks want to intimidate GEJ?

hmmmmmmm
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Abagworo(m): 8:15pm On Dec 31, 2010
The military should take over immediately or we might be in war.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 31, 2010
Abagworo:

why are you such an anarchist ? embarassed angry
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by fstrangest: 8:22pm On Dec 31, 2010
Abagworo:

I think Obasanjo should come back

Only A Yoruba man can do it, not this idiotic Ph.D fisherman from the jungle
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by nex(m): 8:22pm On Dec 31, 2010
Horrible
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by jesuseun1(m): 8:24pm On Dec 31, 2010
pple goin for worship dis evening hav to be very careful. those devil may hav planted more in other places too.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Abagworo(m): 8:26pm On Dec 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

why are you such an anarchist ?  embarassed angry

No I'm not an anarchist but a realist.We need to save Nigeria.I always suggested that the election be cancelled and a sovereign national conference convened where true federalism,resource control and re-structuring is done before any elections.
I think it is getting too late for GEJ or any civilian to do that.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Ymodulus: 8:28pm On Dec 31, 2010
fstrangest:

I think Obasanjo should come back

Only A Yoruba man can do it, not this idiotic Ph.D fisherman from the jungle
truly believe me, am not in a mood to insult you this evening, if not i would have insulted you for that stupid statement you made. I think beaf is coming to expantiate on your stupidity
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by MAYOWAAK: 8:30pm On Dec 31, 2010
According to Channels TV,the bomb blast claimed eleven(11) lives and it occured at Mogadishu Barracks,Abuja
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by aspabay(m): 8:31pm On Dec 31, 2010
It is very true i'm an eye witness
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by blacksta(m): 8:32pm On Dec 31, 2010
During the ERA of PDP

We now have following

1. Kiddnapping
2.  Militancy
3  And the welcome the latest " Bombs "
4    ?

It is high time Nigerians take their destiny by force from the so called imbeciles we call leaders or else the CIA prediction of 2015 would become a reality.

It is only a fool that would deny that the political terrain of Nigeria is changing for worse.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 31, 2010
GEJ needs to stop being slow and should demand quick action from the COAS and the IGP. angry
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Jakumo(m): 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2010
The recent string of car bombs in Nigeria may in fact be the handiwork of elements within the military top brass who hope to sow terror as the upcoming 2011 presidential elections draw near, such that an orchestrated and choreographed call for regression back to military rule would meet only token, subdued opposition from the population and within the corridors of power.

Given the increasing sophistication of the explosives being detonated at strategic locations and calender dates in Nigeria, an Al Queda-connected Islamist objective may have already comingled with those of renegade military officers, towards a mutually beneficial end-game that imposes amalgamated religious and military "emergency" expediences on the country, in place of a continuing democracy characterized by peacefully elected leadership.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by cammax7(m): 8:42pm On Dec 31, 2010
first jos, then bayelsa, now abuja. where next? the Lord keep us in 2011 from these crazed-bloodthirsty-power-obsessed politicians
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by blacksta(m): 8:44pm On Dec 31, 2010
Jakumo:

The recent string of car bombs in Nigeria may in fact be the handiwork of elements within the military top brass who hope to sow terror as the upcoming 2011 presidential elections draw near, such that an orchestrated and choreographed call for a regression to military rule would meet only token, subdued opposition from the population and within the corridors of power.

Given the increasing sophistication of the explosives being detonated at strategic locations and calender dates in Nigeria, an Al Queda-connected Islamist objective may have already comingled with those of renegade military officers, towards a mutually beneficial end-game that imposes amalgamated religious and military "emergency" expediences on the country, in place of a continuing democracy characterized by peacefully elected leadership.

You must be joking with the above bolded. Are you referring to the present Internal colonisation?
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 31, 2010
careytommy:

GEJ needs to stop being slow and should demand quick action from the COAS and the IGP. angry
grin grin
does it look to you like we have a president in this country when everything is upside down ? tongue
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by nduchucks: 8:48pm On Dec 31, 2010
Explosives are readily available at the Abacha barracks which is just a stone's throw from the Mammy market. I wouldn't be surprised is some drunken soldier did not have a couple of grenades explode on his person, bringing down a building in the process.

Several people were shown on TV complaining of missing loved ones. May the souls of the dead RIP.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by olabukola: 8:51pm On Dec 31, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Explosives are readily available at the Abacha barracks which is just a stone's throw from the Mammy market. I wouldn't be surprised is some drunken soldier did not have a couple of grenades explode on his person, bringing down a building in the process.

Several people were shown on TV complaining of missing loved ones. May the souls of the dead RIP.
Shot Up already this must be a planned something by the people withing the govt or outside of it. It has nothing to do with muslims this time around.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by revomind(m): 8:55pm On Dec 31, 2010
It is clear Jonathan cannot lead this country. No excuses, no conspiracy theories can bail out a head of state who cannot guarantee security at any level. Was it not just yesterday an assassination happened in a ward congress of his party in ibadan? His desperation has rubbed off on everyone in the political class especially those in the PDP.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Jakumo(m): 8:56pm On Dec 31, 2010
blacksta:

You must be joking with the above bolded. Are you referring to the present Internal colonisation?

While the conduct and results of Nigeria's most recent presidential election may not have been perfect by all indexes of evaluation, the end result, which unfolded subsequent to the death of late President Yar Adua, was, for the first time EVER,  a Nigerian president with tribal roots that lie deep in the Niger Delta oil fields, the country's SOLE source of income.

President Jonathan Goodluck's ongoing war of attrition with the shadowy cartel that has fed fat for decades by sabotaging Nigeria's electricity generation and distribution infrastructure has established the current president's credentials as a bold, focused achiever of lasting good, whose re-election in 2011 should be sought by all who wish Nigeria well.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 31, 2010
Another blast at Dunamis Church, Karu. This is not Good embarassed
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Vigilante: 8:58pm On Dec 31, 2010
I bet Beaf is shitting in his pants somewhere. Coward.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 31, 2010
aspabay:

It is very true i'm an eye witness

Lets have some details, please.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by comechop(m): 8:58pm On Dec 31, 2010
God have mercy.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by nduchucks: 8:59pm On Dec 31, 2010
olabukola:

Shot Up already this must be a planned something by the people withing the govt or outside of it. It has nothing to do with muslims this time around.

Are you drunk already? Whe.re in my post did I mention that the bombing has anything to do with moslems? Is being a drunken soldier synonymous to being a moslem?  I will assume that you were reponding to the wrong post. olodo rabata
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by olabukola: 8:59pm On Dec 31, 2010
careytommy:

Another blast at Dunamis Church, Karu. This is not Good embarassed
Is this true? Stop that jk abeg
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by babuji(f): 9:02pm On Dec 31, 2010
Also heard that there was a bomb blast at the catholic church in maitama, abuja. Can anyone confirm this?
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by oderemo(m): 9:05pm On Dec 31, 2010
Jonathan MUST resign  immediately. his position is weakening  every day if not seconds.
Re: Bomb Blast In Abuja by Finland(m): 9:05pm On Dec 31, 2010
babuji:

Also heard that there was a bomb blast at the catholic church in maitama, abuja. Can anyone confirm this?
Yeah! I friend just told me on facebook. Nigeria could become another Iraq,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

10 Sect Members, One Soldier Killed In Okene Clash - Tribune / Suspended Abdulmumin Jibrin To Return To Lecturing / The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.