Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,407 members, 7,808,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians (4155 Views)

Is This A Beauty Contest? - Northern Girls / Northern Nigerians / What Characteristics Do Northern Nigerians Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 2:58am On Jan 03, 2011
I am an inquisitive individual who carries out personal research for my own personal gratification and very curious mind. I left Nigeria at an early age and thus recently developed an appetite to learn as much as I could about the country. However I've found there is a lot of insufficient data on the web so I'd rather garner facts and ideas via conversing with particular individuals who can best provide me with a wealth of information.

Scanning through this forum it seems to me that we don't posses too many Northern compatriots here, either that or they're too shy to post. I hope all Northerners feel very welcomed in this thread because part of my reason for signing up was to converse more with the Nigerians I do not see or meet up with everyday - I'll still love to hear from the Yorubas and Igbos though tongue all sane and un-tribalistic Nigerians are welcomed here wink

Even though I am a Southerner, from the very south - Delta state, I was born in the North so I have an affiliation there as well smiley I would like to hear more input from Northerners, and it will be good if they could simultaneously dispel the myths and rumours that constantly surround them also.

The purpose of this thread was for people to share links or articles or maybe through their own words information pertaining to their culture.

BTW I do not want this thread to be dominated by one ethnic group alone so please give other people a chance to talk and for the wayward ones abeg leave your 'tribalistic' palava for road if to say una wan really enter. Discuss like adults.

Personally I would like to learn more from the Kanuris, Fulanis, Shuwa arabs, Hausas - there is a lot lacking in terms of information concerning these folks plus I don't see them where I'm residing - and of course all the other ethnic minorites that make up the other 50% of the country. As I stated before I am a very inquisitive person so I will certainly be firing questions at the 250+ ethnic when I remember una name tongue

This thread was not designed solely for moi so if una wan tok or question pipu for hia go ahead. If you like come fire me question I go ansa to the best of my abilities cool. And to compliment the thread about our non-Nigerian guests, all non-Nigerians are also welcomed to ask various questions if they so wish smiley

You people can ask questions o, don't wait for me I no be teacher tongue ask warreva una like; whether pertaining to culture, ethnicity, state,  Northern Nigeria Southern Nigeria, music, traditional attire etc

P.S. sorry peeps I can't reveal too much of myself I might appear on wiki tomorrow so I will be keeping certain things about me censored wink
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 3:04am On Jan 03, 2011
a continued conversation from another thread:-

alj harem:

thanks smiley smiley

my people are quiet humble, and they love peace in anything they do smiley

although,, they sometime group us with fulanis which can be annoying sometimes angry but i just sometimes over look it

we dress a bit similar to to the fulani but we are a bit we are more into the cltural bit in it

i always thank God than i am a half kanuri/half igbo man
thank Allah smiley smiley

Why do people mistake Kanuris with Fulanis?
Do they look alike?
Sorry I've just never seen one apart from Abacha tongue tongue

WOW at bolded shocked Is it your mother that is Igbo then? because it's usually Igbo women I see marry out
lol so that explains why you love Igbo music then, what a rare combination Igbo/Kanuri wink

Are you muslim ?
Have you visited both your parents ancestral land?
How did they recieve you?

P.S. sorry Alj harem for pestering you smiley
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by InkedNerd(f): 9:38am On Jan 03, 2011
@OP: You kinda remind me of my dad. He was born in the North and partially raised in the South but our family is situated in the South. OP, where do you currently reside?
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by aljharem11(m): 12:16pm On Jan 03, 2011
emofine:

a continued conversation from another thread:-

Why do people mistake Kanuris with Fulanis?
Do they look alike?
Sorry I've just never seen one apart from Abacha tongue tongue

WOW at bolded shocked Is it your mother that is Igbo then? because it's usually Igbo women I see marry out
lol so that explains why you love Igbo music then, what a rare combination Igbo/Kanuri wink

Are you muslim ?
Have you visited both your parents ancestral land?
How did they recieve you?

P.S. sorry Alj harem for pestering you smiley

no problem, it is even a pleasure to post to you smiley

@ 1st question

a bit alike in dressing but anyone can still distinguish them if you know about the culture properly

abacha was i person that give us kanuris a very bad name sad

yes actually my grand mother was an igbo woman from anambra,,, me and her were very close,and we use to relate to each other

yes i am a muslim

yes i have lived in but anambra and borno state before,, even lagos

in borno state it was easy because of my father

but in anambra it was also easy only that,>>>>>> should i say they were weary of me but all in all i loved the city smiley
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 3:16pm On Jan 03, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

@OP: You kinda remind me of my dad. He was born in the North and partially raised in the South but our family is situated in the South. OP, where do you currently reside?

Greetings Inked_Nerd smiley

I'm currently living in the U.K.
About the comparison with your father, it's kinda funny because quite a few Southern Nigerians I know particularly the Igbos were born and brought up in the North - and they loved the Hausa people. I believe we need more cultural exchange.
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 3:27pm On Jan 03, 2011
Alj harem thank you for the detailed explaination smiley

Do you have any links or facts about the Kanuri people?

It's interesting you said you lived in anambra because I read an article about a Kanuri community living in Rivers state, and they said they enjoyed it there.

P.S. don't worry about Abacha alot of us have yeye people from our indivdual ethnics that give us all a bad name wink
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by aljharem11(m): 4:24pm On Jan 03, 2011
emofine:

Alj harem thank you for the detailed explaination smiley

Do you have any links or facts about the Kanuri people?

It's interesting you said you lived in anambra because I read an article about a Kanuri community living in Rivers state, and they said they enjoyed it there.

P.S. don't worry about Abacha alot of us have yeye people from our indivdual ethnics that give us all a bad name wink

thanks smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanuri_people

http://www.africanholocaust.net/peopleofafrica.htm#h

that is all i know for now smiley
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by InkedNerd(f): 12:33am On Jan 04, 2011
emofine:

Greetings Inked_Nerd smiley

I'm currently living in the U.K.
About the comparison with your father, it's kinda funny because quite a few Southern Nigerians I know particularly the Igbos were born and brought up in the North - and they loved the Hausa people. I believe we need more cultural exchange.

Yes, you're right--we do need more cultural exchange. Do you speak or understand any of the languages of the North?
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 2:34am On Jan 04, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Yes, you're right--we do need more cultural exchange. Do you speak or understand any of the languages of the North?

No unfortuantely, I left too young otherwise I'm sure I would've been speaking Hausa. Are there any Northerners where you are residing?
I ask this because I'm under the impression that they do not migrate to the 'western world' in droves compared to us Southerners.
BTW does your father speak a Northern language?
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by InkedNerd(f): 9:48am On Jan 04, 2011
emofine:

No unfortuantely, I left too young otherwise I'm sure I would've been speaking Hausa. Are there any Northerners where you are residing?
I ask this because I'm under the impression that they do not migrate to the 'western world' in droves compared to us Southerners.
BTW does your father speak a Northern language?

Northerners where I live?!?!? There are barely Nigerians in my area. Most of the Africans in New York live in the Bronx. The few that I come in contact with in Brooklyn live in or around the Clinton Hill area which isn't where I live]. My father can understand and speak Hausa, unfortunately he never taught us [my siblings and I] any of it. As a matter of fact, he understand a bit of some other languages as well [by the way, he never taught any of them to us either tongue]. Sheesh, what's the point in being so culturally diverse if ya can't share it with your kids [if you have any undecided]?
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 11:54pm On Jan 04, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Northerners where I live?!?!? There are barely Nigerians in my area. Most of the Africans in New York live in the Bronx. The few that I come in contact with in Brooklyn live in or around the Clinton Hill area which isn't where I live]. My father can understand and speak Hausa, unfortunately he never taught us [my siblings and I] any of it. As a matter of fact, he understand a bit of some other languages as well [by the way, he never taught any of them to us either tongue]. Sheesh, what's the point in being so culturally diverse if ya can't share it with your kids [if you have any undecided]?

lol exactly.
btw can you speak your native tounge?
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by Alcofrybas(m): 3:30am On Jan 09, 2011
Hello emofine, and hello to everyone in this forum

I was kindly invited to participate in this forum.

Edit:

I am very impressed by the works of art from the Kingdom of Benin.
I am also very impressed by nigerian percussion. The djembe is perhaps the most famous hand drum oustide Africa, but many percussion instruments well known in the western wolrd (agogo, ashiko, bata drums, shekere and talking drums) come from your country.

Here's my contribution to this forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0lhrF3rCis

I hope you enjoyed.

I'll post more links as soon as I can.

Your comments and questions are welcome.

Kind regards
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 6:41am On Jan 12, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Here's my contribution to this forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0lhrF3rCis

I hope you enjoyed.

That was beautiful

Here's something for you it comes in two parts

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxX0-FVW1M

Part2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHtNQjuQghw&feature=related
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by Alcofrybas(m): 1:13am On Jan 14, 2011
emofine:

That was beautiful

Here's something for you it comes in two parts

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxX0-FVW1M

Part2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHtNQjuQghw&feature=related

I' glad you enjoyed the clip

I did some research on Fela Kuti. A brave and uncompromising artist. Am I wrong or did he include, jazz, funk and reggae into his bold music?. I'm afraid I've found a new "must-have".

P.S. 1: Please notice that I edited my first post to this forum, in order to delete my country of birth/residence.

I realized that I would also like to keep some things about me "private" (country, age, email, etc.) in any forum ,  anywhere.

That's why I edited all my previous posts that included  the aforementioned data. The edits are perhaps exaggerated, but they were inspired by a certain degree of uneasiness ,

I would be very grateful if you would kindly remove all references to my country in your quotes. The rest is fine.

I have no problem with your knowing this particular detail, because I think you are a very cool "Nairalander".

I think you'll understand me. You seem to have a somewhat similar concern.

P.S. 2

You're right. Material about northern Nigerians is sorely lacking. Nevertheless, I tried to do my best. Here's additional footage about the Fulani people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a45Ney6p7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L175NlhkxFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bxOOewda-M&NR=1

And here's a documentary about the Hausa people:

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42t8KBGtMN8&feature=related
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJsbU1O2KyY&feature=related

P.S. 3 Here's something for you, from half the world away (Trinidad). It's called Calypso!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Cg3J8q9i8

¿Did you like it?. ¿Do you hear any echoes of Africa in it?. I do!.
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by namfav(m): 2:49pm On May 26, 2011
i also want to lern about southerners cultures because i know little, how do yoruba christians view yoruba muslim is there strong solidarity?
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 7:34pm On May 26, 2011
Hi namfav,

I forgot about this thread lol

I'm from the South but I'm not Yoruba

namfav I would like to ask you so many questions because I want to learn more about the North and it's people. However I must warn you I am very ignorant of the north thus my questions may come across as ignorant to you  undecided so I hope you don't feel offended when I ask questions  smiley

By the way, what do you want to know about the South?  smiley
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by namfav(m): 7:43pm On May 26, 2011
emofine:

Hi namfav,

I forgot about this thread lol

I'm from the South but I'm not Yoruba

namfav I would like to ask you so many questions because I want to learn more about the North and it's people. However I must warn you I am very ignorant of the north thus my questions may come across as ignorant to you  undecided so I hope you don't feel offended when I ask questions  smiley

By the way, what do you want to know about the South?  smiley

hello, you can ask anything, no offense will be taken

there are in fact certain questions but first i want to ask like since i know the south is mostly christian, how are the non-christians (especially the pagan) live in the south, are they accepted in most christian families?
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 8:08pm On May 26, 2011
namfav:

hello, you can ask anything, no offense will be taken

there are in fact certain questions but first i want to ask like since i know the south is mostly christian, how are the non-christians (especially the pagan) live in the south, are they accepted in most christian families?

Lol I am actually from Delta state as I mentioned in my opening post  smiley I suppose I can only give a testimony for my family/people.

In my family and in my ethnic group there are non- christians. Some christians think little of these pagan gods or view them as demons/ false gods  etc. Animists go about their daily business despite the stigma attached to their religion. Of course if animists exist in the family, (like in mine) there are Christian members that do try to convert them. However if I was to bring an animists man to show to my parents (who are Christians) as a potential husband they will not be impressed.

Namfav whenever I see pics of the North, it's usually a display of cavalries  grin

Are the Northerners skilled horsemen? is it a tradition? and have you yourself ridden a horse?
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by namfav(m): 8:23pm On May 26, 2011
interesting, that's basically not what i expected, i thought the pagans were viewed different, like respected because i heard that about in many family in the south there are members who still practice that or believe certain things in that, so i'm a bit surprised ( i guess )

no i haven't ridden a horse before, i want to one day, interesting, by the way i think the pictures you see are for hawan sallah, you will see alot of horses and calvaries during that festivals, yup, horses are important to us, horses and camels as a form of transport has always been important you know without that you can't move too freely or protect your own
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 8:44pm On May 26, 2011
namfav:

interesting, that's basically not what i expected, i thought the pagans were viewed different, like respected because i heard that about in many family in the south there are  members who still practice that or believe certain things in that, so i'm a bit surprised ( i guess )

I was just sharing what I know based on my family however I believe other people/ethnics may or could revere some of these animists as some happen to also be custodians.

That makes me wonder how are animists treated in the North or to be specific your family or possibly ethnic group? Are there many animists up North?

no i haven't ridden a horse before, i want to one day, interesting, by the way i think the pictures you see are for hawan sallah, you will see alot of horses and calvaries during that festivals, yup, horses are important to us, horses and camels as a form of transport has always been important you know without that you can't move too freely or protect your own

I think it's pretty cool, I'm defninatly gonna go horse riding when I visit the North  cool

Do Northerners listen to Southern music and watch Nollywood? because I am aware Northerners have their own cinema - Kannywood ( but I believe they were trying to uphold some modesty)

Also does the North have a significant desert landscape? I have seen some pics and the deserts in the North do not appear too thick or engulfing as Niger, Libya etc but I hear that desertification is taking a hold now.
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by namfav(m): 6:01am On May 27, 2011
emofine:

I was just sharing what I know based on my family however I believe other people/ethnics may or could revere some of these animists as some happen to also be custodians.

That makes me wonder how are animists treated in the North or to be specific your family or possibly ethnic group? Are there many animists up North?

I think it's pretty cool, I'm defninatly gonna go horse riding when I visit the North  cool

Do Northerners listen to Southern music and watch Nollywood? because I am aware Northerners have their own cinema - Kannywood ( but I believe they were trying to uphold some modesty)

Also does the North have a significant desert landscape? I have seen some pics and the deserts in the North do not appear too thick or engulfing as Niger, Libya etc but I hear that desertification is taking a hold now.

i see, i haven't met an animist before and i don't have one in my family, to be honest i don't think we will get along as animism contradicts everything that we believe

not really, i can say i probably have only seen 3 nollywood films in my entire life, i think there are some that watch but most do not (from where i'm born), as for music i have not heard much music from the south when im home, but sometimes (out of interest) i do listen to some on youtube but i wouldn't say it's our kind of thing really

yes there are some desert areas in the north,desertfication is affecting some of us, yes not really like the sahara
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 8:11am On May 27, 2011
namfav:

i see, i haven't met an animist before and i don't have one in my family, to be honest i don't think we will get along as animism contradicts everything that we believe

not really, i can say i probably have only seen 3 nollywood films in my entire life, i think there are some that watch but most do not (from where i'm born), as for music i have not heard much music from the south when im home, but sometimes (out of interest) i do listen to some on youtube but i wouldn't say it's our kind of thing really

yes there are some desert areas in the north,desertfication is affecting some of us, yes not really like the sahara

oh okay cool, well as for me I watch quite a lot of Kannywood - I like how they dress modestly and the girls are very pretty

are there any Tuaregs in the North and is their culture similar to the Northerners?

What type of African nationals frequent the North? i.e. are there many Nigerien, Chadians, Sudanese etc

Is it difficult to distinguish and decipher between a Northern Nigerian and a Nigerien?

What type of national (globally) frequent the North? - I heard there were many Indians there

What is your staple food?

I know that many Northerners converse in Hausa but can they also speak pidgin?

thanks in advance and sorry for sounding ignorant, the North really interests me but I do not have any appropriate resources to research the North thoroughly so I guess I'm gonna have to ask questions (that may sound ignorant) and travel there for myself  smiley
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by namfav(m): 8:27am On May 27, 2011
emofine:

oh okay cool, well as for me I watch quite a lot of Kannywood - I like how they dress modestly and the girls are very pretty

are there any Tuaregs in the North and is their culture similar to the Northerners?

What type of African nationals frequent the North? i.e. are there many Nigerien, Chadians, Sudanese etc

Is it difficult to distinguish and decipher between a Northern Nigerian and a Nigerien?

What type of national (globally) frequent the North? - I heard there were many Indians there

What is your staple food?

I know that many Northerners converse in Hausa but can they also speak pidgin?

thanks in advance and sorry for sounding ignorant, the North really interests me but I do not have any appropriate resources to research the North thoroughly so I guess I'm gonna have to ask questions (that may sound ignorant) and travel there for myself  smiley

it's good you have interest to ask i also have questions but i will ask a bit later when i finish answering what you want to know

yes there are toureks, culturally there is similarities have a long history with them, in bornu there have always been a number of toureks from what i know they also frequently mix

yes you are right, there is tchadiens, nigeriens, algerians, moroccans etc. i have come across those i also know families who are originally from cameroen

it is not difficult, sometimes it is impossible since we have alot of similarities culturally, i have a question if you can answer this, can you distinguish a yoruba from togo to a yoruba from nigeria? i know the accents are different but is there really a difference?

some indians, pakistani, lebanese, you know the usuals lol

i'm fulani, so i have to say dairy for me growing up, we used to eat and drink from the cow (cheese and milk)

i have not come across many a northerner who speak pidgin, some do, most not
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 9:44am On May 27, 2011
namfav:

it's good you have interest to ask i also have questions but i will ask a bit later when i finish answering what you want to know

yes there are toureks, culturally there is similarities have a long history with them, in bornu there have always been a number of toureks from what i know they also frequently mix

I see.
Do the Touregs/Toureks consider themselves Nigerians? So are the Touregs mixed with various Nigerian ethnic groups in the North?

yes you are right, there is tchadiens, nigeriens, algerians, moroccans etc. i have come across those i also know families who are originally from cameroen

it is not difficult, sometimes it is impossible since we have alot of similarities culturally, i have a question if you can answer this, can you distinguish a yoruba from togo to a yoruba from nigeria? i know the accents are different but is there really a difference?

lol I've actually never seen a Togolese Yoruba, I've been waiting to see them though  grin but I guess there would be similarities

are the Fulanis in let's say Senegal do they differ greatly to the ones here in Nigeria?

some indians, pakistani, lebanese, you know the usuals lol

i'm fulani, so i have to say dairy for me growing up, we used to eat and drink from the cow (cheese and milk)

i have not come across many a northerner who speak pidgin, some do, most not

Morrocans and Algerians in Nigeria? are they there for buisness

the groups in the sahel/sahara are really interesting to me I'm attracted to their culture as well

so do you drink fura de nunu (sorry I don't know how it's spelt) when I was a baby my mother always used to give that to me  grin I have not drank that in ages though

oh so you are Fulani, great. I have heard so many people testify to the beauty of the Fula ethnic group. Oh have you met any Wodaabe? and what do you think of the Wodaabe custom of having male beauty pageants?

oh and be sure to ask as many questions about the South as you want to sir  smiley
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by namfav(m): 10:12am On May 27, 2011
emofine:

I see.
Do the Touregs/Toureks consider themselves Nigerians? So are the Touregs mixed with various Nigerian ethnic groups in the North?

lol I've actually never seen a Togolese Yoruba, I've been waiting to see them though  grin but I guess there would be similarities

are the Fulanis in let's say Senegal do they differ greatly to the ones here in Nigeria?

Morrocans and Algerians in Nigeria? are they there for buisness

the groups in the sahel/sahara are really interesting to me I'm attracted to their culture as well

so do you drink fura de nunu (sorry I don't know how it's spelt) when I was a baby my mother always used to give that to me  grin I have not drank that in ages though

oh so you are Fulani, great. I have heard so many people testify to the beauty of the Fula ethnic group. Oh have you met any Wodaabe? and what do you think of the Wodaabe custom of having male beauty pageants?

oh and be sure to ask as many questions about the South as you want to sir  smiley

i had a classmate in kano, who was half tourek, don't really know to what extent there is mixture but i am aware that they have mixed for many years

yes there is a difference only  because the fulani in senegal some of them have got the influence from the jollof, serer, which we do not have, we had influence from hausawa, kanouri even which they did not have, but in terms of pulaaku (the culture/lifestyle) there is little to no difference

yes mainly business people, i don't see too many just a few people from algeria, why are you interested in the culture if i may ask? also yes i did drink it alot, always do when i am at home, is your mother from the north or something because i did not expect it to be prepared in the south too, but its easy to make though

that is why they call the wodaabe, i have met 3 of people who are bororo, lol they are proud apparently they always brag how beautiful they are if you talk about these gerewol thing i find it strange but its okay i  guess  undecided, so before i ask the question are you urhobo/ijaw/itsekiri?
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 11:20am On May 27, 2011
namfav:

i had a classmate in kano, who was half tourek, don't really know to what extent there is mixture but i am aware that they have mixed for many years

Nigeria never seizes to amaze me, good or bad there is a lot to discover about our country  smiley

yes there is a difference only  because the fulani in senegal some of them have got the influence from the jollof, serer, which we do not have, we had influence from hausawa, kanouri even which they did not have, but in terms of pulaaku (the culture/lifestyle) there is little to no difference

oh okay, that makes sense.

yes mainly business people, i don't see too many just a few people from algeria, why are you interested in the culture if i may ask? also yes i did drink it alot, always do when i am at home, is your mother from the north or something because i did not expect it to be prepared in the south too, but its easy to make though

Well first of all I am from the South so I like to discover things I am not too familiar with, I like learning new things but I have to admit the culture is very interesting. I've read up a bit about the history in the Sahel and I am impressed. The architecture and clothing amazes me. I like the sound of the languages in the Sahel and Sahelians are indeed very beautiful people  kiss

In my opening post I introduced a little about myself. I was born in the North and lived there for my very short time in Nigeria, so I don't know if the southerners make it but my mother usually bought fura de nunu from the Fulanis - she never made it.

that is why they call the wodaabe, i have met 3 of people who are bororo, lol they are proud apparently they always brag how beautiful they are if you talk about these gerewol thing i find it strange but its okay i  guess  undecided, so before i ask the question are you urhobo/ijaw/itsekiri?

LOL - but in looks I thought there was no difference between a bororo and other Fulanis. I never knew that they bragged about their beauty lol - but they are beautiful people to be honest.
check out the "Celebrating Nigeria's diversity on Nairaland" thread to get your answer  tongue

nah I'm kidding. I'm Isoko, have you heard of them? if you haven't well people sometimes group us with the Urhobos  smiley
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by namfav(m): 11:37am On May 27, 2011
emofine:

Nigeria never seizes to amaze me, good or bad there is a lot to discover about our country  smiley

oh okay, that makes sense.

Well first of all I am from the South so I like to discover things I am not too familiar with, I like learning new things but I have to admit the culture is very interesting. I've read up a bit about the history in the Sahel and I am impressed. The architecture and clothing amazes me. I like the sound of the languages in the Sahel and Sahelians are indeed very beautiful people  kiss

In my opening post I introduced a little about myself. I was born in the North and lived there for my very short time in Nigeria, so I don't know if the southerners make it but my mother usually bought fura de nunu from the Fulanis - she never made it.

LOL - but in looks I thought there was no difference between a bororo and other Fulanis. I never knew that they bragged about their beauty lol - but they are beautiful people to be honest.
check out the "Celebrating Nigeria's diversity on Nairaland" thread to get your answer  tongue

nah I'm kidding. I'm Isoko, have you heard of them? if you haven't well people sometimes group us with the Urhobos  smiley

thats very interesting, i used to think hardly southerners had interest in our culture so it's refreshing, no i have not heard about isokos so it's a urhobo clan or something? fulani are diverse, but bororos are considered the most beautiful, they stand out because they are also the tallest (they range from 6ft1 to 6ft8 barefoot), would you visit the north one day then to explore more of the culture? i spoke to some people they said they are scared to even live amongst hausa-fulani do you feel that way?

i want to know which tribe is the urhobo closer relate to? and are there many northerners in delta state?
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 12:17pm On May 27, 2011
thats very interesting, i used to think hardly southerners had interest in our culture so it's refreshing, no i have not heard about isokos so it's a urhobo clan or something? fulani are diverse, but bororos are considered the most beautiful, they stand out because they are also the tallest (they range from 6ft1 to 6ft8 barefoot), would you visit the north one day then to explore more of the culture? i spoke to some people they said they are scared to even live amongst hausa-fulani do you feel that way?

i want to know which tribe is the urhobo closer relate to? and are there many northerners in delta state?

I have an interest in the North particular because where I'm at there are hardly in fact I do not see any Northerners sad

It's kind of funny and weird actually because many Nigerians used to think I was Hausa - but I just took it as a compliment smiley

Many people in my family (because we have lived in the North) really love Northerners. The Isokos are similar to the Urhobos but we are separate kinda like Ibibio and Efik. Isoko number smaller than the Urhobos so sometimes we are eclipsed by them. We have some similarities in our languages/ clothing etc.

To be honest it's good that we are discussing because beforehand I thought Fulani were all one and the same and looked the same - I had no idea that the Fula were diverse. Do Bororos only inhabit Nigeria and Niger?
wow those people could be runway models lol - is that including the height of the women or is it only the men that are that tall? 6ft8 wow! the men could be basketball players lol

Many people kept on telling me that Northerners are real tall, I believe that's one of the reasons they mistook me for Hausa perhaps.

Yes, in fact I would like to visit all 36 states but I'm excited about the North especially - I believe every state is different but I feel I would experience something wholly different from the North

Well I've heard people say that but not just about Hausa/Fulani but other ethnic groups as well. The thing is Southerners can be direct and we feel we have to be cautious when dealing with the North. Many Southerners I knew that lived in the North loved the people however they did say that "do not offend their religion" apart from that they had really good things to say about the people. They say that "Hausa people are friendly", that "Hausa is a beautiful language", "Northerners are beautiful", "Northerners are humble" etc - the report is not always bad.

However it does make me wonder how the Northerners perceive Southerners? are they afraid or curious about the South?

I'm not too sure about the Northern presence in Delta because I haven't been to Delta but I hear that there are people of other ethnic groups there including the North. I also read an old article about some Northerners (Kanuris) account of his time in Port Harcourt or maybe it was rivers state. He said that his clan and family had lived there for years (over 50 years) and so the younger ones were brought up there. He said they do retain their culture, language etc but that the children also speak the local dialect and mix with the other kids. However despite adopting port Harcourt as their adopted state he was aware and very conscious of the North/South schism during the political climate or some news of some riots. Fortunately he said when those times occurred his Southern neighbors always reassured him that he was safe and not to worry but he admitted as a Northern man living in the South at those critical moments in the country (riots) he felt only then he will stand out from his neighbours, he did like the state he was residing in though and considered it his home  smiley
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by namfav(m): 12:40pm On May 27, 2011
emofine:

I have an interest in the North particular because where I'm at there are hardly in fact I do not see any Northerners sad

It's kind of funny and weird actually because many Nigerians used to think I was Hausa - but I just took it as a compliment smiley

Many people in my family (because we have lived in the North) really love Northerners. The Isokos are similar to the Urhobos but we are separate kinda like Ibibio and Efik. Isoko number smaller than the Urhobos so sometimes we are eclipsed by them. We have some similarities in our languages/ clothing etc.

To be honest it's good that we are discussing because beforehand I thought Fulani were all one and the same and looked the same - I had no idea that the Fula were diverse. Do Bororos only inhabit Nigeria and Niger?
wow those people could be runway models lol - is that including the height of the women or is it only the men that are that tall? 6ft8 wow! the men could be basketball players lol

Many people kept on telling me that Northerners are real tall, I believe that's one of the reasons they mistook me for Hausa perhaps.

Yes, in fact I would like to visit all 36 states but I'm excited about the North especially - I believe every state is different but I feel I would experience something wholly different from the North

Well I've heard people say that but not just about Hausa/Fulani but other ethnic groups as well. The thing is Southerners can be direct and we feel we have to be cautious when dealing with the North. Many Southerners I knew that lived in the North loved the people however they did say that "do not offend their religion" apart from that they had really good things to say about the people. They say that "Hausa people are friendly", that "Hausa is a beautiful language", "Northerners are beautiful", "Northerners are humble" etc - the report is not always bad.

However it does make me wonder how the Northerners perceive Southerners? are they afraid or curious about the South?

I'm not too sure about the Northern presence in Delta because I haven't been to Delta but I hear that there are people of other ethnic groups there including the North. I also read an old article about some Northerners (Kanuris) account of his time in Port Harcourt or maybe it was rivers state. He said that his clan and family had lived there for years (over 50 years) and so the younger ones were brought up there. He said they do retain their culture, language etc but that the children also speak the local dialect and mix with the other kids. However despite adopting port Harcourt as their adopted state he was aware and very conscious of the North/South schism during the political climate or some news of some riots. Fortunately he said when those times occurred his Southern neighbors always reassured him that he was safe and not to worry but he admitted as a Northern man living in the South at those critical moments in the country (riots) he felt only then he will stand out from his neighbours, he did like the state he was residing in though and considered it his home  smiley

aha, so where are you then? it's interesting because before today i had not heard about isoko people, so isoko and urhobo share common ancestry?

fulani are very diverse, with the bororos i believe their women are slightly shorter than the men, but not really short, i think they range betweene 5ft7 and 6ft2 maybe, you will see this if you watch certain documantaries on the gerewol

it's a honour to hear someone interested in our culture smiley i hope we had more people like that nigeria will be way better, we don't perceive southerners negatively, contrary, generally we think the same way you think about us, there is a little insecurity because you hear some (especially the younger) who think that southerners have a bias against us but it is just a minority it's in both sides also, generally no, there is nothing negative that i can mention, as you've mentioned we don't like to be offended, but it is the same anywhere isn't it? no one likes to be offended, but i think that we (on both the sides) don't make too much effort to learn about the cultures, sadly, but at my school we were all mixed up and it was always normal, saw each other no different

oh i see, since you were born in the north, would you prefer to live in delta or the north? somehow i think you have a attachment to the north
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 8:14pm On May 27, 2011
namfav:

aha, so where are you then? it's interesting because  before today i had not heard about isoko people, so isoko and urhobo share common ancestry?

fulani are very diverse, with the bororos i believe their women are slightly shorter than the men, but not really short, i think they range betweene 5ft7 and 6ft2 maybe, you will see this if you watch certain documantaries on the gerewol

it's a honour to hear someone interested in our culture smiley i hope we had more people like that nigeria will be way better, we don't perceive southerners negatively, contrary, generally we think the same way you think about us, there is a little insecurity because you hear some (especially the younger) who think that southerners have a bias against us but it is just a minority it's in both sides also, generally no, there is nothing negative that i can mention, as you've mentioned we don't like to be offended, but it is the same anywhere isn't it? no one likes to be offended,  but i think that we (on both the sides) don't make too much effort to learn about the cultures, sadly, but at my school we were all mixed up and it was always normal, saw each other no different

oh i see, since you were born in the north, would you prefer to live in delta or the north? somehow i think you have a attachment to the north

I'm currently living in London smiley

yeah not every Nigerian know of the Isoko clan, when I tell them where I'm from they're like "what is Isoko"? LOL

I just have to complement my ethnic group with the Uhrobo's as they are usually known haha or I just say Delta lol

the women can definetly become models if they so desire because the shortest height required to be a model is 5 ft 7

oh and yes I have seen a documentry about the Wodaabe and both the women and men tower over the interviwer lol

namfav have you ever visited Southern Nigeria? and where do you live currently?

I love Delta even though I've never been there because it's my ancestral home but I was also born in the North so you are right I do have an attachment to the North lol. Because I like tuwo, wear traditional frequently and like sitting on the ground to eat so many people have just lumped me as a Northerner lol

Where would I like to live? that is a good question. I would like to learn Hausa so I would definitely spend quite a lot of time in the North, I feel the South is more loud and hectic but I hear that Delta is a fun place lol. Kano interests me alot as well smiley
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by namfav(m): 8:51pm On May 27, 2011
emofine:

I'm currently living in London smiley

yeah not every Nigerian know of the Isoko clan, when I tell them where I'm from they're like "what is Isoko"? LOL

I just have to complement my ethnic group with the Uhrobo's as they are usually known haha or I just say Delta lol

the women can definetly become models if they so desire because the shortest height required to be a model is 5 ft 7

oh and yes I have seen a documentry about the Wodaabe and both the women and men tower over the interviwer lol

namfav have you ever visited Southern Nigeria? and where do you live currently?

I love Delta even though I've never been there because it's my ancestral home but I was also born in the North so you are right I do have an attachment to the North lol. Because I like tuwo, wear traditional frequently and like sitting on the ground to eat so many people have just lumped me as a Northerner lol

Where would I like to live? that is a good question. I would like to learn Hausa so I would definitely spend quite a lot of time in the North, I feel the South is more loud and hectic but I hear that Delta is a fun place lol. Kano interests me alot as well smiley

so you are in london i wonder how you don't come across northerners there, i know quiet a number of hausa and fulani who reside in uk, how do you feel when no one knows your ethnicity? i don't think it would be something i would be happy about hehe

yup, they are very tall indeed. no i have not been to the south, the closest i have been to was abuja, at the moment i am in america

you have the same interest for the north like alot of northerners well it is a good thing because in the end it is where you were born, you will fit in well, once you know hausa you are one of us lol, which state is it that you were born?
Re: An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians by emofine(f): 11:40pm On May 27, 2011
so you are in london i wonder how you don't come across northerners there, i know quiet a number of hausa and fulani who reside in uk, how do you feel when no one knows your ethnicity? i don't think it would be something i would be happy about hehe

yup, they are very tall indeed. no i have not been to the south, the closest i have been to was abuja, at the moment i am in america

you have the same interest for the north like alot of northerners well it is a good thing because in the end it is where you were born, you will fit in well, once you know hausa you are one of us lol, which state is it that you were born?

well maybe in my region there are not too many or perhaps I am not recognising them as some Nigerians say that Northerners appearacne is a little different. Well once when I was in primary school, some of us foreign students were asked to list our ethnic backgrounds. Others said Yoruba etc and when it came to me I proudly said Isoko and people where like who? I was so embarrased lol that for a long time I never told people my ethnicity I just used to say Nigeria. However once when I was 15 a Nigerian asked me which region I was from, I said Delta and he said where's that, I was shocked by his ignorance because at the very least he should have heard of MEND lol

but now I'm older I'm not really offended I understand that happens when you are from a smaller ethnic group.

lol yeah I hear that once you can speak Hausa they tend to accept you as one of their own lol I was born in Nasarawa - so that is the middle belt to be precise but I have been to Kano and Kaduna.

so you are in America? are there many Northerners there?

oh I hear that there are some similarities between Hausa and Arabic and Hausa, do you agree? can you understand Arabic because of your knowledge of Hausa?

and how similar is the Hausa language to Fula? smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Come Obama Promotes Homosexuality But Doesn't Admit That He's A Homosexual? / The Top Ten Sexiest Languages In The World / Funny Proverbs In Isoko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.