Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (50545 Views)

Must See - African Bravery In Pictures! / Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 10:52pm On Jan 06, 2011
Nwa Ekpo, boy's masquerade
Nimo

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 10:54pm On Jan 06, 2011
Mgbedike or Agu neche Enyi (leopard/elephant)
Nimo

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by PhysicsHD: 1:11am On Jan 07, 2011
Akhenaten:

A Medicine Man with his Stock in Trade

What are the geometric patterns behind him for, and what are they made on (what is the wall behind him made of)? Any ideas?
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by PhysicsHD: 1:18am On Jan 07, 2011
Akhenaten:

[b]Obugula Mmau
[/b]Amuobia village

Now this is just too cool.

Do people still perform any kind of masquerades using costumes like these today? The Yorubas are still doing gelede, and the Hausas are still doing their horsemanship competitions. It would be a shame if art and tradition this creative was allowed to fade away because of modern lifestyles.

1 Like

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:24am On Jan 07, 2011
PhysicsHD:

What are the geometric patterns behind him for, and what are they made on (what is the wall behind him made of)? Any ideas?

The patterns are similar to the patterns used by the Igbo secret societies that are found in Abia State and some of the Cross River Igbo communities. It looks like the patterns were made on a type textile that was common in the region at that time.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:30am On Jan 07, 2011
PhysicsHD:

Now this is just too cool.

Do people still perform any kind of masquerades using costumes like these today? The Yorubas are still doing gelede, and the Hausas are still doing their horsemanship competitions. It would be a shame if art and tradition this creative was allowed to fade away because of modern lifestyles.

Most Igbo communities still perform masquerades using costumes. You see many of the masquerades occur during festivals as well as religious holidays. I seen many in Alaigbo, when I went home for Christmas. The tradition is still alive and well. You can even find Igbo masquerades in Igbo communities in the United Kingdom and the United States. Plus, masquerades are still done in the Caribbean and Latin America, since the Igbo slaves brought their culture to the region as well. I will create another thread dedicated to the African elements found in the Caribbean and Brazil.

1 Like

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Kilode1: 3:40am On Jan 07, 2011
Great Pictures, Intense costumes!

That Igbo girls hair, is that natural or an attachment?

Akhenaten:

Igbo Sculpture

Now, that's some Sculpture, looks like it can walk!
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:40am On Jan 07, 2011
Ogbuseyolaho mask

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:44am On Jan 07, 2011
Kilode?!:

Great Pictures, Intense costumes!

That Igbo girls hair, is that natural or an attachment?

I believe that hair is all natural. Traditional hair styles were very elaborate for women. However, metal jewelry and other material would be added to the hair styles as well.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:44am On Jan 07, 2011
Ogaranya (a powerful man), Nimo

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:45am On Jan 07, 2011
Onu Kamma maskers (mouth stronger than sword), Nimo

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:46am On Jan 07, 2011
Onu Kamma masker (mouth stronger than sword), Nimo

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:54am On Jan 07, 2011
Ikwerri Igbo

Parade of Masks -- Okerevinwe, Oweremba, Aka Leke, Adachinwa, Abam, Jack, Oyiaro, Oki -- Rumuji Owu Play

1 Like

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:55am On Jan 07, 2011
Ajibodo, Head of Owu -- Rumuji Owu Play

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:56am On Jan 07, 2011
The musicians accompaning the dance -- Rumuji Owu Play

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:57am On Jan 07, 2011
Ebeule Uku (Water Ram, mythical beast) -- Rumuji Owu Play

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:58am On Jan 07, 2011
Carver of the masks -- Preparing a mask for the Rumuji Owu Play

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 4:08am On Jan 07, 2011
Ajaiku masquerade
Ovim village

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 4:10am On Jan 07, 2011
[b]Elder attending Ajouku masquerade
[/b]Ovim village

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 4:12am On Jan 07, 2011
[b]Drummers for Ajouku masquerade Note: children holding the drums
[/b]Ovim village

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by OgidiBoy(m): 4:57am On Jan 07, 2011
Akhenaten where in Jesus name did you find those pictures ? the are awesome.Thank god for the Internet, most of us that were not around in the

early years can at least see a glimpse of our culture from years back. Biko post more my brother.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by ifyalways(f): 3:12pm On Jan 07, 2011
Lovely.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 5:44pm On Jan 07, 2011
If people look closely to the titles of each photo, you will see that these pictures were taken from different sections of Igboland. From Ikwerri to Awka to Ika. Yet, similarities still exist amongst these Igbo communities.

Makes you wonder why some Igbo groups want to stress the small differences in our customs even though we are one people.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by ChinenyeN(m): 5:59pm On Jan 07, 2011
Akhenaten:

If people look closely to the titles of each photo, you will see that these pictures were taken from different sections of Igboland. From Ikwerri to Awka to Ika. Yet, similarities still exist amongst these Igbo communities.

Makes you wonder why some Igbo groups want to stress the small differences in our customs even though we are one people.
Take a close look from Bini to Ibibio. To Igala/Idoma, down to Ijo. Those same masquerading similarities also seem to be present. So I guess we should all be one big happy family, then, ehn kwa? Needless to say though, there are legitimate distinction between the various masquerading cultures, even among the Igbo groups, themselves. Not mere 'small differences'.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 6:06pm On Jan 07, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Take a close look from Bini to Ibibio. To Igala/Idoma, down to Ijo. Those same masquerading similarities also seem to be present. So I guess we should all be one big happy family, then, ehn kwa?

But do they speak our language? We are united by our language even though our language has many dialects. Yes, the cultural masquerades have diffused amongst different groups, but I am talking about Igbos in particular.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by ChinenyeN(m): 6:22pm On Jan 07, 2011
I was only expanding the analogy you seemed to be using as a basis for your brotherhood argument and looking to see how well it realistically holds up; just to put things into perspective for you. Also, I'm not here to discuss 'Igbo unity', because I know (better yet, I knew from the time you started making these topics) that you and I will do everything but agree on that subject. Instead, such a discussion will only serve to further polarize current viewpoints. Forgive me if this all seems a bit presumptious, but that's the impression you've made with your topics.

Now, let's leave that "brotherhood" topic alone and you can just continue sharing more colonial pictures, because I'd really like to see more. I like them.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 6:29pm On Jan 07, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I was only expanding the analogy you seemed to be using as a basis for your brotherhood argument and looking to see how well it realistically holds up; just to put things into perspective for you. Also, I'm not here to discuss 'Igbo unity', because I know (better yet, I knew from the time you started making these topics) that you and I will do everything but agree on that subject. Instead, such a discussion will only serve to further polarize current viewpoints. Forgive me if this all seems a bit presumptious, but that's the impression you've made with your topics.

Your presumptions are correct. Not only am I a Pan-African, I am a Pan-Igboist. (Please forgive me for creating that word). I am a huge supporter of a Pan-Igbo identity. However, I do believe that there can be unity through diversity. All the vast Igbo clans have some differences in cultural identities, but I still believe that we Igbos share not only the same language, but the same culture with small differences.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by experience(m): 6:36pm On Jan 07, 2011
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by AndreUweh(m): 10:55pm On Jan 07, 2011
Akhenaten:

Thanks and May the Peace of Our Lord be with you.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by AndreUweh(m): 11:07pm On Jan 07, 2011
Wooden flute (oja) colonial era.

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:19am On Jan 08, 2011
Nkporo Igbo

A group of masks, Boys initiation, Obohia

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:22am On Jan 08, 2011
Dancing intiation mask, Boys initiation

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos) / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? / 78-Year-Old Alaafin Of Oyo Enters Boxing Ring For Match - PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.