Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,375 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? (4617 Views)

Virtual Assistance Can Create Job Opportunity For Nigerian Youths / 6 Ways To Keep Your Online Customers Away From Your Competition / How To Make Money From Farming? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 06, 2011
i wonder why there are many unemployed youths when there is so much opportunity in farming business when a farming business will never make you go hungry. why is this so?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by RichDad1(m): 10:00am On Jan 07, 2011
can you shed more light on this?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by denony(m): 12:02pm On Jan 07, 2011
because there is no internet in the farm grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by twinskenny(m): 12:05pm On Jan 07, 2011
denony:

because there is no internet in the farm grin

lol funny
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by twinskenny(m): 12:06pm On Jan 07, 2011
@poster are you a farmer?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by loadsk: 12:08pm On Jan 07, 2011
I think I represent the average nigerian youth @ 32. I am into Fish farming which  operate at the back or my room, I know many more of my age group that are also into this.

I consider myself and those I am referring to above. Lucky because we are all blessed with parents that have properties and believe in us. Consider fish farming for example, you will need a space not to talk of a piece of land, good water supply(bore-hole), and capital. Now who do you consider are the youths and are they empowered either by their parents(education, funds, moral support etc) or government(Education, funds, conducive environment for business etc).

From my little experience in the fish farming business, I strongly believe that one single LGA can feed Lagosian fish for years with proper planning through the youth being employed.

But our Government have not focus and vision for youth development even the football we all know, its through individual efforts not government.

Its a pity. But no matter what God bless Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by loadsk: 12:11pm On Jan 07, 2011
@ denony

I did all my research via the Internet and have made contact with fish farmers in places I've not step my feet. But seriously, the internet is a useful tool in farming also
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by UyiIredia(m): 12:18pm On Jan 07, 2011
it takes patience and long-suffering to enter into farming >>> i've had a bit of hands-on experience with farming when my Dad started a poultry/cat-fish farm >>> aside from that he rented a plot of land in Benin to start up tomato/pepper farming >>> all these attempts failed after my dad pumped in so much money >>> took him 2 years to pay up debts acquired >>> as a young 11-year-old living in a fast paced, get-rich-quick culture >>> i wasn't eager as such to enter into farming after observing what my dad went through >>> i think this applies across bord as regards the youth >>> moreso when the typical prayer of a parent is that his/her ward graduates magna cumlaude and places a good job, with a six-figure salary, with a multi-national corporation

not everybody has the kind of capital that people like OBJ and Dangote have to pull off successful farming ventures
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by oluagness(m): 12:29pm On Jan 07, 2011
loadsk:

I think I represent the average nigerian youth @ 32. I am into Fish farming which  operate at the back or my room, I know many more of my age group that are also into this.

I consider myself and those I am referring to above. Lucky because we are all blessed with parents that have properties and believe in us. Consider fish farming for example, you will need a space not to talk of a piece of land, good water supply(bore-hole), and capital. Now who do you consider are the youths and are they empowered either by their parents(education, funds, moral support etc) or government(Education, funds, conducive environment for business etc).

From my little experience in the fish farming business, I strongly believe that one single LGA can feed Lagosian fish for years with proper planning through the youth being employed.

But our Government have not focus and vision for youth development even the football we all know, its through individual efforts not government.

Dad and mum are helping you in financing the project. So lucky.
You need money to embark on farming. It is not easy for a graduate to involve in manual farming. How can a poor man involve in mechanized farming? It is not easy my brother. It is fact the government do tell the youth to plant cassava, do you know what it takes to do so? Let government provide land, loan and tractors; farm will be congested and government will send many youths away from farm.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 07, 2011
VERY CAPITAL INTENSIVE.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by loadsk: 12:35pm On Jan 07, 2011
@ Uyi Iredia

I most agree with you. But the issue is this we(youth) need to change our mind set. Yes, white collar job is everyone's dream but the truth is not everyone will be Dangote or Adenuga and that is why we have one Dangote. We need to understand that it does take a big step to learn how to walk. Little grows bigger, I started with 40k worth of sweats for months but today my back room fish pond produces nothing less than 1tonne of table size fish per harvest.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by loadsk: 12:43pm On Jan 07, 2011
@Oluagness

Yes, I feel lucky. Not because they are funding my business but I have a space to start. I speak from my experience in fish farming, there are GP tanks, wooden ponds**, and many other forms of ponds. I didn't have job for years but I needed to find something doing. Really, lets not blame anyone for our woes. We need to search inwards, there is something inside there deposited for everyone.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by Ranoscky(m): 12:46pm On Jan 07, 2011
Question mark.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by born2boink(m): 12:54pm On Jan 07, 2011
Are you a farmer, if not then leave your job and lead the farming work first
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by linsa01(m): 1:28pm On Jan 07, 2011
Youth into farming??
my cousin & I tried it 3yrs back in schl. Then there was a little hike in d price cassava. So, we decided to cultivate 1 hecter of land. We used our pocket money to employ labour. To cut d story short,we couldn't even realise d money we spent on d project talkless of having gain. Why? The price of cassava went down the following year.
Hence, i'm always scared of goin into farming.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by iice(f): 2:11pm On Jan 07, 2011
Time consuming and labour intensive.
We are talking of people who like a quick buck and want the easiest way to get it.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by monopolist: 3:21pm On Jan 07, 2011
@denoni

because there is no internet in the farm 

We have Computerised Plantation Agriculture in the FOOD FOR LIFE PROJECT

kingolusola@gmail.com

Send an e.mail to get copies of your Cassava Hectare Plan and Corn Hectare Plan
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by monopolist: 3:36pm On Jan 07, 2011
@iice   

Time consuming and labour intensive. 
We are talking of people who like a quick buck and want the easiest way to get it.

A Graduate can now manage 100 Hectares of Cassava and Corn from Land Preparation to Marketing of Harvest and earn over NGN2Million annually or NGN167,000 Monthly after 3 months on Management Probation/Training.

Less Labour Intensity, thanks to Divine Wisdom and Cutting-edge Technology
Less time consumption as we now have 85 days Corn and 3/4 Months Cassava and Vegetables that matures in 5/6 Weeks.
Agric will be competing favourably with Banking and Oil and Gas jobs

Get 4ther details   kingolusola@gmail.com    08055940488
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by iice(f): 3:42pm On Jan 07, 2011
Exhibit A
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by maasoap(m): 4:03pm On Jan 07, 2011
I'm a fresh graduate of agricultural economics and I've been seriously thinking about going into farming, most especially orange and plantain plantation. If I should successfully cultivate one hectare of each crop, I wouldn't need to hustle for the rest of my life.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by distinct00: 4:37pm On Jan 07, 2011
there are so many reasons why youths dont go into farming

1. most youths like the pride and glory associated with white collar jobs.

2. fear of failure also makes youths run away from farming business.

3. most youths are over ambitious they venture into any business once they hear testimonies of some people who have made money from it without proper know;ledge of the business.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by PastorOla1: 7:49pm On Jan 07, 2011
Our youth are lazy!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by femmy2010(m): 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2011
Farming is not as easy as people think it.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by Fhemmmy: 9:39pm On Jan 07, 2011
Cos most of them wanna make fast money and farming needs time, investment and patience.

Also, to farm, there is need for some money, and banks in Nigeria wont give you nada
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by medjai(m): 10:15pm On Jan 07, 2011
It's way too capital intensive.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by roymary: 10:59pm On Jan 07, 2011
Nope, Because the girls won't date nor marry farmers.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by lagcity(m): 11:38pm On Jan 07, 2011
because they are superficial morons who only dream of riding around lagos, ph and abuja in big cars, calling themselves big boys and girls. there's a lot of money to be made in farming if you do your homework.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by asunaobi(m): 6:56am On Jan 08, 2011
loadsk:

I think I represent the average nigerian youth @ 32. I am into Fish farming which operate at the back or my room, I know many more of my age group that are also into this.

My full respect for you. What else can a dad ask for in a child. Almighty God will bless all your effort and believe it! in million million folds. Keep working hard and dont loose focus. Hardwork pays but let all that you have achieved be in your mind not in your head. Remain blessed!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by femmy2010(m): 8:58am On Jan 08, 2011
Where is the land to use?
where is are the seedling to plant?
Where are the fund to employ labor?
where are the funds to get equipments to use?

The Youth would go into farming if these things were readily made available.
Remember very few youth are lucky to inherit a land that can be use for agricultural/farming purpose.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by denony(m): 9:30am On Jan 08, 2011
farmer, farmer, will you marry meeeeee
farmer, farmer, will you marry me
oo yes i will marry you tommorrow
but how can i marry such a beautiful girl
when i have no time for her
she run, run, run to the house, house, house
and start crying like kiddddddddd
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by denony(m): 9:31am On Jan 08, 2011
we have a ganja farmer in nairaland
u can also call her a ganja planter grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Youths Shy Away From Farming? by zogo(m): 7:32pm On Jan 08, 2011
so much treasures lies in farming. you make guaranteed cash yearly. lets talk Heliculture (Snail Farming). Little do people know that very few are in this lucrative venture, and our youths go about searching for non-existing jobs! all you need to get started with Heliculture and succeed is compiled in an e-book. follow the link to see for yourself and take actions. www.snailfarmingng..com

To your success!

Gideon Wealth

(1) (2) (Reply)

Freelance Architectural visualisation 2D and 3D / I Need A Legitimate Whoolesale Contact In Lagos Trade Fair/ Lagos Island Market / Inflation Rate Declines To 15.37% In 2017 – Nbs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.