Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,295 members, 7,780,689 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:38 PM

Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! (11481 Views)

We Hope To Die Same Day — 81-year-old Twins (photo) / Why You Should CALL Your Parents Now. (A Touching Photo) / A Touching Story Of True Love And Genuine Forgiveness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by mafe23(m): 3:47am On Jan 07, 2011
A picture began circulating in November. It should be "The Picture of the Year," or perhaps, "Picture of the Decade." It won't be. In fact, unless you obtained a copy of the U.S. paper which published it, you probably would never have seen it.

The picture is that of a 21-week-old unborn baby named Samuel Alexander Armas, who is being operated on by surgeon named Joseph Bruner. The baby was diagnosed with spina bifida and would not survive if removed from his mother's womb. Little Samuel's mother, Julie Armas, is an obstetrics nurse in Atlanta. She knew of Dr. Bruner's remarkable surgical procedure. Practicing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, he performs these special operations while the baby is still in the womb.

During the procedure, the doctor removes the uterus via C-section and makes a small incision to operate on the baby. As Dr. Bruner completed the surgery on Samuel, the little guy reached his tiny, but fully developed hand through the incision and firmly grasped the surgeon's finger. Dr. Bruner was reported as saying that when his finger was grasped, it was the most emotional moment of his life, and that for an instant during the procedure he was just frozen, totally immobile.

The photograph captures this amazing event with perfect clarity. The editors titled the picture, "Hand of Hope." The text explaining the picture begins, "The tiny hand of 21-week-old fetus Samuel Alexander Armas emerges from the mother's uterus to grasp the finger of Dr. Joseph Bruner as if thanking the doctor for the gift of life."

Little Samuel's mother said they "wept for days" when they saw the picture. She said, "The photo reminds us pregnancy isn't about disability or an illness, it's about a little person" Samuel was born in perfect health, the operation 100 percent successful. Now see the actual picture, and it is awesome, incredible and emotional.

Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by Outstrip(f): 6:07am On Jan 07, 2011
Wow. Just a few of the wonders of His hands
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 07, 2011
Incredible! marvelous! wonderful!

That unborn babies life was saved because of advancement in modern science!
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by ifyalways(f): 9:14am On Jan 07, 2011
Im too moved to type.Wow
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by Nobody: 9:43am On Jan 07, 2011
Awwwwwww
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by Chookym(m): 2:10pm On Jan 07, 2011
What a wonder !
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by carnal: 4:32pm On Jan 07, 2011
The Lord is God.and All the time too.wow
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by babyme1(f): 4:59pm On Jan 07, 2011
Is tha what the uterus looks like Awww cry cry cry cry
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by zayhal(f): 8:01pm On Jan 07, 2011
Oh my God!
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by peacettw: 9:43pm On Jan 07, 2011
God, pls, i want to be a surgeon,
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by MO25: 9:53pm On Jan 11, 2011
Don't know why, but my head just starts to swell anytime i look at this picture.
Allah is great.
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by playmate(f): 9:28am On Jan 12, 2011
awww. . kiss kiss
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by Chookym(m): 1:36pm On Jan 20, 2011
This is the boy now 9 yrs old after he won a backstroke swimming event almost 10 years after that operation

http://carolmsblog..com/2009/05/finger-grasping-baby-in-womb-is-nine.html

Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by mafe23(m): 4:44am On Jan 21, 2011
God be praised! His mercies endureth forever more.
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by naijafrend: 12:47am On Jan 22, 2011
As touching as it may look, I now have some doubts about this picture.

1) Why does the woman's stomach look like a piece of crumbled aluminium sheet? I have personally witnessed surgeries and tummies dont look like that (unless you are operating on a 90yr old)

2) The organ that is being operated is partially placed on top of green piece of cloth ?

3) Spina bifida is not fatal.
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by sleekflexy(f): 11:56pm On Jan 22, 2011
^^^ Thank you! That sure doesn't look like a human body to me sef.
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by d7thcaller: 4:47pm On Jan 28, 2011
Indeed God is awesome.

@ naijafrend kindly educate us more
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 28, 2011
My new screen saver
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 28, 2011
naijafrend:

As touching as it may look, I now have some doubts about this picture.

1) Why does the woman's stomach look like a piece of crumbled aluminium sheet? I have personally witnessed surgeries and tummies dont look like that (unless you are operating on a 90yr old)

2) The organ that is being operated is partially placed on top of green piece of cloth ?

3) Spina bifida is not fatal.
You never born abi you never see person born, that flat attractive stomach will look like a matrass after small labor. you don wanna imagine
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by ARareGem(f): 10:43pm On Jan 28, 2011
The picture does look kind of weird, though I don't pretend to be an expert.

But if it's true, thank God Almighty.
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by naijafrend: 10:45pm On Jan 28, 2011
@aisha 2, I have been through all of it , be it witnessing it or going through it, and that is precisely why I said I had my 'doubts' ! Once again  I repeat it is not the size , it is the skin that I talked about !

Now that I have looked into it, I have some more doubts, If the doc was operating the foetus, and that too on his spine, how could he move his hand? Shouldn't he be under anesthesia?
Re: Hand Of Hope : A Touching Moment Captured On Lens! by ssfWeShss: 2:24pm On Feb 01, 2011
@nijafriend. i partially agree undecided

(1) (Reply)

A Thread For All Faithful Husbands. :) / What's The Best Advice On This Matter? / My Brother In Law Slapped Me Twice And Beat Me Up!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.