Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala (8371 Views)

BUY YOUR LAND//INVEST IN ILORIN, KWARA "STATE" OF HARMONY... / A Chance To Own Or Rent An Apartment In Lagos / BUY YOUR LAND IN ILORIN, KWARA STATE IN A NICE & SUITABLE LOCATION... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by afrobaby(f): 3:53pm On Jan 07, 2011
For close to 6 months now, have been trying to secure a 2 bedroom flat that will accept 1 year option and its been like, its a dead end, I wonder what is happening in Lagos. Why is it that we have too many agents now and u can hardly relate with the landlords to secure a place, this country is becoming worse and worse day by day and I wonder what the next generation will meet. Gone are d days when u will see room to let in front of houses, now, nothing like dat, anytime u see room to let, it is always in front of an agent's shop, na wa o.
I pray God give us money to build our own houses so everyone will become landlord sha

1 Like

Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by fangy: 5:32pm On Jan 07, 2011
afrob,i feel you completely, have been on d search myself even ready tp pat the extra 1 yr after some months but nothing doing, need my own space bt cant pay 2 yrs due to other commitments, wetin person go do now
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 07, 2011
@poster
pls explain. . . . . . . all these ads on NL are BS or is there a catch to what they write?
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by tpia1: 8:22pm On Jan 07, 2011
it's very difficult to get that.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:16am On Jan 08, 2011
Going through agent should be the ideal process.

Things are not getting worse sis. but i rather tell you they are getting better.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by meee1: 12:22pm On Jan 08, 2011
Visit www(dot)gidihomes(dot)com. You will see an unending list of available spaces in Lagos. The good news is no middleman nor agent. You are meeting the owners of the properties.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 08, 2011
you need to press that you want to meet the houseowner yourself. Agents will always tell you, it's impossible

I paid a year rent after i was able to meet my landlord. this is after my agent claimed my landlord wont even take 1 and half year rent.
just make sure you lokk responsible when you approach him. dress well, bomb ur hair
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by Tapiya(m): 12:44pm On Jan 08, 2011
The gidi homes website only has a few houses listed, and they are at locations one wouldnt wanna go to, need a place @ Ojota, Surulere or Onipan and environs mini flat if they can accept a year then am good.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by Jkhaliph: 12:52pm On Jan 08, 2011
Because everything is upside down just like always, thats the only country where you are expected to pay years iof rent in advance but the unemployment is crazy high, here in america u pay monthly rent and unemployment rate is way lower than naija, so u go figure! Tell me why dis ahole landlords cant take monthly rents n make life a lot easier for everybody. We are making lives harder n harder for urselves, our individual greed is what will eventually sink nigeria!
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by domack99(m): 12:56pm On Jan 08, 2011
Get a house now in lagos is crazy, you hardly see landlords that are ready to collect one yr, even though u eventually get one you end up spending huge some renovating the apartment.Only knows where this country is heading to.

1 Like

Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by mrliberal: 1:01pm On Jan 08, 2011
The agent thing would have been a good thing if only they can be sincere with the job. All that house seekers need is access to the net and from there you get the house of ur choice. but alas! what do we have the opposite agents claim what they do not have just to collect ur money.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by bolafex(f): 1:02pm On Jan 08, 2011
You complaining about getting an apartment in lag?You need to ask Abuja residents what they are going through;even in the satellite towns,they pay outrageous rents for houses in communities that are best described as shanties and whether in the main city or not,you do not ever get to see the house owners.It is indeed a terrible situation.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by beknown(m): 1:05pm On Jan 08, 2011
@Poster,

The simple answer is GREED.

Our greed has taken Nigeria away from true progress.

In other countries, weekly and monthly rent is normal. In Nigeria, landlords want two years rent in advance.

Unfortunately, there is no government in Nigeria to curb the greed. The government is like the people they serve.

Imagine some Lagosian jobbers still living on the street without even a rented home of their own.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by seedord247(m): 1:07pm On Jan 08, 2011
You don find house reach places like, Ikotun, Ejigbo, Ajegunle,  Ijora Badia, Orile, Oshodi house plenty for this area wey i mention and dem dey very cheap especially ajegunle.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by femmy2010(m): 1:10pm On Jan 08, 2011
a law should be promulgated that would say the number of months/years taken as advance should be what should be used by tenants when quit notice is served. grin
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by idmoore(m): 1:29pm On Jan 08, 2011
@poster and all other contributors in dis thread, i jus discovered few months ago dat there are stil enough vancant apartment u cud ever want in lagos only dat people are always not ready 2 make d payment, i work with a reputable estate company at ikorodu & 99% of all the properties we av are located at ikorodu. And we av succeed 2 help people secure a rented apartments and sold valuable properties.

Presently, we av various apartments to let at places like: Ebute-ipakodo, owutu, lagos road, odogunyan, isawo, jumofak bus stop by igbo oliwo estate, itamago. And for sale properties at Bayieku, odungunyan, odo Nla, lagos road.

These are all our properties and 4 now stil january 25 we are offering a bonus 2 are clients whereby we DON'T COLLECT BOTH AGREEMENT AND COMISSION FEE from our clients.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by idmoore(m): 1:39pm On Jan 08, 2011
For interested clients on the previous post you can contact me on 08020776926
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by onayemi1: 4:10pm On Jan 08, 2011
We must understand that govt (fed,state & lg) have failed in providing housing for the masses.Most houses are privately owned. so the Landlord dictates the price and the number of years to pay. Its so pathetic. You can imagine how long it will take for an average naija worker(80k per month salary) to save to rent a decent 2-bedroom flat of 300k per annum (720k for 2yrs plus agreement and commission). Its tough to be a nigerian
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by harakiri(m): 4:39pm On Jan 08, 2011
@Poster

Apart from the 1 year "thingy", price and all. . .there are other reasons for this e.g experience from BAD TENANTS! ! ! Some landlords have had the unfortunate experience of having horrific tenants residing in their property. These tenants pretend to be "holier than thou" when getting in but less than three months after getting in, they become something else giving you unnecessary heart ache. On top of that, to eject them from the house is another problem courtesy of the inefficient court system in Nigeria. A tenant can live in your house for over 5 years without paying one naira all because you are both in court. I have such a tenant that has lived almost 4 years in my house and on top of that, he has incited other tenants in the house NOT to pay me and every now and then, they bring one useless piece of court paper inviting me to appear in court over one made up issue or the other all in a bid to destabilize me. . .YES, there are evil people in the world. My property right now is a phucking kalakuta republic a.k.a no nation!

My point is, after going through this kind of embarrassment, most landlords would definitely take it out on the next intending tenants and thus become "wicked landlords". They will increase the rent to skyrocketing prices, asking for 2-3 years rent as well as other "agreement fees" which are undocumented and untenable in the court of law. Some will even refuse to let the house to you based on your ethnicity. The Igbo tribes are the most victims and the reason isn't far fetched. They are the most troublesome. Before some people crucify me, i am partly Igbo myself (from my mother's side) and i speak fluently but ALL the troublesome tenants i am facing today are ALL IGBOS! ! ! Go to any court sitting over landlord versus tenant and you'll discover that 9 out of 10 are of Igbo descent. I don't mean to be tribalistic and i am sorry if i come across that way but THAT'S THE COLD TRUTH of how things really are.

Nuff said! ! !
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by Jkhaliph: 4:44pm On Jan 08, 2011
harakiri:

@Poster

Apart from the 1 year "thingy", price and all. . .there are other reasons for this e.g experience from BAD TENANTS! ! ! Some landlords have had the unfortunate experience of having horrific tenants residing in their property. These tenants pretend to be "holier than thou" when getting in but less than three months after getting in, they become something else giving you unnecessary heart ache. On top of that, to eject them from the house is another problem courtesy of the inefficient court system in Nigeria. A tenant can live in your house for over 5 years without paying one naira all because you are both in court. I have such a tenant that has lived almost 4 years in my house and on top of that, he has incited other tenants in the house NOT to pay me and every now and then, they bring one useless piece of court paper inviting me to appear in court over one made up issue or the other all in a bid to destabilize me. . .YES, there are evil people in the world. My property right now is a phucking kalakuta republic a.k.a no nation!

My point is, after going through this kind of embarrassment, most landlords would definitely take it out on the next intending tenants and thus become "wicked landlords". They will increase the rent to skyrocketing prices, asking for 2-3 years rent as well as other "agreement fees" which are undocumented and untenable in the court of law. Some will even refuse to let the house to you based on your ethnicity. The Igbo tribes are the most victims and the reason isn't far fetched. They are the most troublesome. Before some people crucify me, i am partly Igbo myself (from my mother's side) and i speak fluently but ALL the troublesome tenants i am facing today are ALL IGBOS! ! ! Go to any court sitting over landlord versus tenant and you'll discover that 9 out of 10 are of Igbo descent. I don't mean to be tribalistic and i am sorry if i come across that way but THAT'S THE COLD TRUTH of how things really are.

Nuff said! ! !

I totally understand your trouble, this all comes down to the fact, we nigerians are our own biggest enemies and the cause of all our troubles!

Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by OlokoNla1(m): 4:49pm On Jan 08, 2011
we need a referendum in Nigeria. we need a referendum like Southern Sudan. we need a referendum to redefine how we intend to live in the future, referendum NOW!

AMEN!!
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by andyanders: 6:56pm On Jan 08, 2011
WELL I GOT MY HOUSE. 2 BLOCKS OF 3 BEDROOMS EACH AND ROOM AND PARLOR AND I ONLY COLLECT 3 MONTHS WITH AGREEMENT BUT NO AGENCY FEES. SO, PEOPLE OR LANDLORDS COLLECTING MORE THAN 1 YR RENT IS A GREEDY LANDLORD. I DON’T HAVE TO STRESS MY TENANTS BY ASKING FOR OUTRAGEOUS FEES. THEY ARE EVEN HAPPY PAYING ME MY MONEY ON TIME. LANDLORDS SHOULD BE LENIENT BECAUSE IT IS ONLY GOD THAT GIVES.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by femmy2010(m): 7:24pm On Jan 08, 2011
Guess outside Lagos?
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by harakiri(m): 7:25pm On Jan 08, 2011
@redman44. . . I agree with the monthly suggestion of 1-3 months rent payment but that method for now is only practical in advanced countries where EVERYTHING WORKS! In the west,you can be kicked out in less than a week for defaulting in rent payment but can that work in today's Nigeria? I am currently facing tenants that are ready 2 spend half of the rent they owe me on lawyers and bribing court officials to manipulate the case and keep it pending in court for eternity. One of them hasn't paid a dime since 2007 and has incited other tenants to follow his example. I have been tempted so many times to take laws into my hands. My point is, imagine someone paying 1 month rent,failing to pay up the next month and living another 1-2 years free of charge becoz of an incompetent and corrupt court system. Your idea is great but impractical in today's 9ja! ! !
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by emilas21(m): 7:36pm On Jan 08, 2011
MY DEAR,PEOPLE OF NAIJA.IT IS NO AN AGENCY MATTER.OK, EVEN IN THE WESTERN WORLD AND ALL DEVELOPED AND DEVELOPING COUNTRIES,YOU MUST HAVE TO GO THROUGH AN AGENT.HE THEN LEAD YOU TO THE HOUSE ONWER.WE ARE ALWAYS ASKING FOR DUE PROCESS IN EVERYTHING, THIS IS ONE GOOD EXAMPLE,.BUT ITS JUST FOR THE AGENTS TO BE SINCERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ISSUE, ITS NOT EASY TO GET A HOUSE BECAUSE THERE ARE ONLY BUT FEW HOUSES,OUR PRIVATE SECTORS,BANKS,OUR VERY WEALTHY MEN SHOULD JOIN HANDS IN BUILDING HOUSES, HOUSE RENTS ARE VERY CHEAP IN NAIJA COMPARE TO MOST PARTS OF THE WORLD BUT THEY STILL TAGGED IT ON MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION, THAT JUST THE DIFFERENT, OK

EZIOKWU BU NDU
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by OvieE: 8:26pm On Jan 08, 2011
LAGOS IS TOO OVER POPULATED AND CONGESTED,
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by harakiri(m): 8:32pm On Jan 08, 2011
@lastpage. . .LMA0! The thing just tire me. To be tenant na wahala. To be landlord na anoda bigger wahala unless you intend residing alone. Its so bad that i put up an advert in the property section. In between i learnt dry land can be purchased in ikorodu for less than N350k. Na true?
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by opabukun(m): 9:00pm On Jan 08, 2011
This nut peculiar 2 Lagos alone o. here in Ibadan, i hv bin looking for 2/3 bedroom flats since last year Oct., but 2no success. y? the actuall house rent is alwayz 2years payment plus btw 40% - 60% as agency fee blabla.

Wat i find out is dat, these AGENTS compulsorily make d payment 2years so they can charge would -be tenant a maximum charge and collect more 4m the Landlord. coz if u pay d Landlord a year, dey will charge 10/20 % of d sum.
AT LONG RUN DEY COLLECT CLOSE TO WAT D LANDLORD RCVD ON HIS INVESTMENT!!!
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by lastpage: 9:54pm On Jan 08, 2011
@harakiri:
In between i learnt dry land can be purchased in ikorodu for less than N350k. Na true?
Hmmmm, l've heard this same amount some 5years ago! l guess there are places u could still get that price, it could be just bordering "Ondo or Oyo state"  grin if l could be a little sarcastic!
Even as l speak now, there are places in the same Ikorodu that wont go for less than 1.5M or even more, due to their strategic location (like the road where the proposed 4th mainland will pass in future! wink

Do a little digging & speak with Lawyer in the property section, he might help, who knows.
cheers
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by DisGuy: 10:05pm On Jan 08, 2011
idmoore:

@poster and all other contributors in dis thread, i jus discovered few months ago dat there are stil enough vancant apartment u cud ever want in lagos [b]only dat people are always not ready 2 make d payment, [/b]i work with a reputable estate company at ikorodu & 99% of all the properties we av are located at ikorodu. And we av succeed 2 help people secure a rented apartments and sold valuable properties.

Presently, we av various apartments to let at places like: Ebute-ipakodo, owutu, lagos road, odogunyan, isawo, jumofak bus stop by igbo oliwo estate, itamago. And for sale properties at Bayieku, odungunyan, odo Nla, lagos road.

These are all our properties and 4 now stil january 25 we are offering a bonus 2 are clients whereby we DON'T COLLECT BOTH AGREEMENT AND COMISSION FEE from our clients.

You think people want the flats for free? Just because clients don't take the properties you have don't mean they don't want to pay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abuja Properties Whatsapp Group Dropp Your Number / From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey / What Will It Cost To Build? Material Detail Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.