Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,708 members, 7,802,135 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy (14090 Views)

Dasuki Releases Breakdown Of Arms Purchases, Says “nigerians Will Hear A Lot” / Nigerians Expect A Lot From You, Obasanjo Tells Buhari / Christian Association Of Nigeria (CAN) Denies N7b Bribery Allegation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 7:18pm On Jan 08, 2011
An average Igbo man is democratic in nature. He loves freedom for for all, he hates autocracy, he says his mind without minding.

The democracy the Nigerians people are talking about after fifty years is a culture in Igbo land. No body can give an Igbo man democracy because it's part of their culture.

It's only the Igbo's you see at this end of the year from one corner of the street to the other having meeting, deliberating and allowing other people to say their mind while they arrive at a general conclusion, and i think that is what democracy is all about. The Igbo man has the potential to unluck the hidden treasures in Nigeria if given a chance.

Igbo enwe eze (the Igbo have no king)  is another important aspect of our culture that makes the Igbo people unique in the world. The Igbo is one of the few human societies that democracy and leadership instead of monarchy/feudalism and rulership is ingrained.

The fact remains that Igbo people pride themselves on democracy and freedom where consensus is the norm rather than bowing to the commands or wishes of the "king". The individualistic and freedom-loving nature of Igbo people does not support feudal/monarchy culture. In Igbo culture every individual is entitled to have a say and then a consensus is reached. Direct democracy (Igbo culture) is incompatible with feudalism/monarchy.

Collected from various sources
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Missy85(f): 7:43pm On Jan 08, 2011
by traditional igbo democracy, i assume you  mean something that existed in years gone by (at least 100 yrs ago), in which case, i agree that we need to step back & look inwards into how our primitive fore fathers managed in the end, to devise a largely agreeable way of governing themselves.

But if you are referring to the majority modern day, selfish, greedy Igbo lot, who practice politics of chaos, you have your work cut out trying to persuade  anyone to look east for vital positive lessons. They're as bad as the do or die politicians of the west,
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 7:49pm On Jan 08, 2011
Missy85:

by traditional igbo democracy, i assume you  mean something that existed in years gone by, in which case, i agree that we need to step back & look inwards into how our primitive fore fathers managed in the end, to devise largely agreeable way of governing themselves.

Igbos have been practicing democracy for thousands of years. It is ingrained in our culture. My culture was not "primitive," but even more advanced than the democracy that the Europeans are currently using. We respected each other's opinion, because we know people have different views. That is why you rarely see the "Do or die politics" that is common in other parts of the country.

We had a direct democracy, when is different from the republic form of governance that most nations follow. Igbos love to debate as you may already know and we respect others right to discuss issues. That is something other groups can learn from the Ndi Igbo.

From what I have seen, the Nigerian state is what is holding the Igbo people back.

Missy85:

But if you are referring to modern day, selfish, greedy Igbo lot, who practice a politics of chaos, you have your work cut out trying to persuade  anyone to look east for vital positive lessons. They're as bad as the do or die politicians of the west,

You are referring to the efulefu (fools, moneybags, traitors, errand boys, thieves) There are many Igbo efulefu who have turned away from our culture and trying to impose a feudal structure, which will never work in Igboland. What you are seeing in the East is a rebellion against that system that does not allow the populace to take a part in the governance.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Olaedo1: 7:53pm On Jan 08, 2011
The reason why an igbo styled democracy is not circulating in the nigerian government is because nigeria is not a democracy.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 7:57pm On Jan 08, 2011
Ola edo:

The reason why an igbo styled democracy is not circulating in the nigerian government is because nigeria is not a democracy.

That is very true. It is more like an oligarchy that has bought off a few selfish Igbo leaders to the detriment of the Igbo people.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Kobojunkie: 7:57pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

An average Igbo man is democratic in nature. He loves freedom for for all, he hates autocracy, he says his mind without minding.
Where do these average ibo’s you speak of live?
Akhenaten:

The democracy the Nigerians people are talking about after fifty years is a culture in Igbo land. No body can give an Igbo man democracy because it's part of their culture.
HUH? Are you here speaking of the culture we all aware of?
Akhenaten:

It's only the Igbo's you see at this end of the year from one corner of the street to the other having meeting, deliberating and allowing other people to say their mind while they arrive at a general conclusion, and i think that is what democracy is all about. The Igbo man has the potential to unluck the hidden treasures in Nigeria if given a chance.
WHAT? shocked shocked
Akhenaten:

Igbo enwe eze (the Igbo have no king)  is another important aspect of our culture that makes the Igbo people unique in the world. The Igbo is one of the few human societies that democracy and leadership instead of monarchy/feudalism and rulership is ingrained.
WHAT THE FRELL? shocked
Akhenaten:

The fact remains that Igbo people pride themselves on democracy and freedom where consensus is the norm rather than bowing to the commands or wishes of the "king". The individualistic and freedom-loving nature of Igbo people does not support feudal/monarchy culture. In Igbo culture every individual is entitled to have a say and then a consensus is reached. Direct democracy (Igbo culture) is incompatible with feudalism/monarchy.
@Poster, are you being sarcastic? Is this like early april fool or something? Is the @Poster @Ezeuche and his gang come back with another name?
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 7:58pm On Jan 08, 2011
smiley
@op i totally disagree with your analysis  (i am not anti-igbo)

reason

do you not think at there will be problems if there is no leader undecided

do you not see that even because then in igboland, there were issues of one village fight with another and there was no 1 leader those villages can answer to, to resolve the problem undecided

the democratic nature of igbos (which to me is hmmm) only works for igbo,,, the feudal system for northerners only work for them

while the semi democratic/ semi-feudal system for yorubas only work for them smiley (polite)
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 8:00pm On Jan 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Where do these average ibo’s you speak of live?HUH? Are you here speaking of the culture we all aware of?WHAT? shocked :oWHAT THE FRELL? shocked@Poster, are you being sarcastic? Is this like early april fool or something? Is the @Poster @Ezeuche and his gang come back with another name?

kobo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin no kill persin ooo grin
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 8:03pm On Jan 08, 2011
Isn't Nigeria trying to be a democracy? Why not look to those who have been practicing democracies for hundreds of years. For the majority of Igbo clans, democracy was institutional/cultural phenomenon except for the Igbo clans that were influenced by the Igala and Bini people.

Why do some Nigerians have a problem with learning from other groups?
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

Igbos have been practicing democracy for thousands of years. It is ingrained in our culture. My culture was not "primitive," but even more advanced than the democracy that the Europeans are currently using. We respected each other's opinion, because we know people have different views. That is why you rarely see the "Do or die politics" that is common in other parts of the country.

We had a direct democracy, when is different from the republic form of governance that most nations follow. Igbos love to debate as you may already know and we respect others right to discuss issues. That is something[b] other groups can learn from the Ndi Igbo.[/b]

From what I have seen, the Nigerian state is what is holding the Igbo people back.

You are referring to the efulefu (fools, moneybags, traitors, errand boys, thieves) There are many Igbo efulefu who have turned away from our culture and trying to impose a feudal structure, which will never work in Igboland. What you are seeing in the East is a rebellion against that system that does not allow the populace to take a part in the governance.

Why should that happened when other regions have a system that fit their system ?
The yoruba,hausa andbenin have a perfect centralized system of government.the obas may have absolute power but there are chiefs who served ascheck and balances to their absolutism.the ibos may be egalitarian but other regions also have a perfect system of government.must everything thing be coined under democracy ?
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Olaedo1: 8:06pm On Jan 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Where do these average ibo’s you speak of live?HUH? Are you here speaking of the culture we all aware of?WHAT? shocked :oWHAT THE FRELL? shocked@Poster, are you being sarcastic? Is this like early april fool or something? Is the @Poster @Ezeuche and his gang come back with another name?

With all due respect kobo.If you do not know this about Igbo culture then you are pointless in this discussion.Go to Igbo gatherings/meetings anywhere or go to the East, what he discribed is the only way Igbos to things amongst each other. As a matter of fact google it.Go in encyclopedia.com or something.It's there and still in practice as of today.You really need to step your game up and stop giving pointless arguments.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 8:08pm On Jan 08, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Why should that happened when other regions have a system that fit their system ?
The yoruba,hausa andbenin have a perfect centralized system of government.the obas may have absolute power but there are chiefs who served ascheck and balances to their absolutism.the ibos may be egalitarian but other regions also have a perfect system of government.must everything thing be coined under democracy ?

You make a wonderful illustration of our pre-colonial governments. And I support these institutions. However, the way Nigeria is set up, which is democratic in nature, maybe Nigeria should look to the Igbo form of governance since our democracies have been around since time immemorial.

I do understand your point though very much so.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 8:08pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

Isn't Nigeria trying to be a democracy? Why not look to those who have been practicing democracies for hundreds of years. For the majority of Igbo clans, democracy was institutional/cultural phenomenon except for the Igbo clans that were influenced by the Igala and Bini people.

Why do some Nigerians have a problem with learning from other groups?

lol, you make me laugh

it is because of democracy like this we igbos can not talk with one voice

i tell you, if u think it is democracy then think again,,, the western countries have a leader (the president, prime minister, queen etc) we igbo have non and u call that democracy,, all we have is elder undecided is elders democracy undecided
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 8:11pm On Jan 08, 2011
'@ Poster

Why must Nigeriia operate under a democratic system? Is it because the white man told you it's the best way? Other groups have been operating under a different system, why not learn from them? or must they learn from you?
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 8:12pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

lol, you make me laugh

i tell you, if u think it is democracy then think again,,, the western countries have a leader (the president, prime minister, queen etc) we igbo have non and u call that democracy,, all we have is elder undecided is elders democracy undecided

Your post shows you are not an Igbo, nor do you know our ways or customs. I beg, please do not speak about things you know nothing about.

Do not make a fool of yourself if you have any dignity.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Olaedo1: 8:13pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason123:

'@ Poster

Why must Nigeriia operate under a democratic system? Is it because the white man told you it's the best way? Other groups have been operating under a different system, why not learn from them? or must they learn from you?

You don't make sense.Someone who was just complaining about not wanting military rule again is now complaining about democracy.What do you want thenlol
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 8:14pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason123:

'@ Poster

Why must Nigeria be united then? If we do not work under a democratic system, I feel that we have no business being together then.

Nigeria is just a mere expression create by the white man.

Democracies are the best way in my opinion and not because a white man has told me. My ancestors in their wisdom understand that we can all be kings and queen.

We have no use for kings or queens, because they are mere human beings like us.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 8:15pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

Your post shows you are not an Igbo, nor do you know our ways or customs. I beg, please do not speak about things you know nothing about.

Do not make a fool of yourself if you have any dignity.

boy, what are you talking about here,,,, do we have a king in aligbo undecided

is it not elders that resolve issues for us in igboland, ,.,.,.,.,., please tell me if i am wrong and do not insult

thank you smiley
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Olaedo1: 8:16pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

lol, you make me laugh

The western countries have a democracy. and you put president in the same category as prime minister lol.Do you even know what a prime minister is?
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 8:17pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

Why must Nigeria be united then? If we do not work under a democratic system, I feel that we have no business being together then.

Democracies are the best way in my opinion and not because a white man has told me. My ancestors in their wisdom understand that we can all be kings and queen.

and that is the problem

some of we igbo call ourselves jews,,,,,,did jews not have priest and kings they listen to (king David)
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Kobojunkie: 8:17pm On Jan 08, 2011
Ola edo:

With all due respect kobo.If you do not know this about Igbo culture then you are pointless in this discussion.Go to Igbo gatherings/meetings anywhere or go to the East, what he discribed is the only way Igbos to things amongst each other. As a matter of fact google it.Go in encyclopedia.com or something.It's there and still in practice as of today.You really need to step your game up and stop giving pointless arguments.
Let me give you advice  . . . applies when it comes to internet debating, If you have no real information( face, date, age, anything) on the persons you are chatting with, you are best sticking to actually making your case, or you are immediately discarded as yet another internet riff-raff with no case to make.  OK.  . .

Now, please go back and respond CORRECTLY to that post of mine, if you can. If you know more of the Ibos than I do, then show you do or just leave off.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 8:17pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

boy, what are you talking about here,,,, do we have a king in aligbo undecided

is it not elders that resolve issues for us in igboland, ,.,.,.,.,., please tell me if i am wrong and do not insult

thank you smiley

Igbos have no king.

And if you go to any village counsel, you will see both Igbo elders and Igbo young adults debating. If you are an adult, then you have a right to discuss Igbo issues. It has always been like this.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 8:19pm On Jan 08, 2011
alj harem:

and that is the problem

some of we igbo call ourselves jews,,,,,,did jews not have priest and kings they listen to (king David)

A very small and minute minority of Igbos believe they are descendants of that Asiatic tribe.

Only a people who suffer from self-hated would say they are descendants of Arabs or Jews. We have always existed in our forest. Our cultures are as old as theirs or even older.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Olaedo1: 8:20pm On Jan 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Let me give you advice  . . . applies when it comes to internet debating, If you have no real information( face, date, age, anything) on the persons you are chatting with, you are best sticking to actually making your case, or you are immediately discarded as yet another internet riff-raff with no case to make.  OK.  . .

Now, please go back and respond CORRECTLY to that post of mine, if you can. If you know more of the Ibos than I do, then show you do or just leave off.

Seems like everybody is getting under your skin today grin. You never know what you are talking about lol grin
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 8:20pm On Jan 08, 2011
Ola edo:

The western countries have a democracy. and you put president in the same category as prime minister lol.Do you even know what a prime minister is?

ola edo, sorry but u are quiet a stu.pid one i must tell you smiley (no oofeince)

a prime minister is a senior miniter of a palimentary system

now did us igbo ever had a palimentary system
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by jason123: 8:21pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

Okay, i understand you but I just want to let you know that every system whether democratic or authoritarian, has its advantages and disadvantages.
The igbo type of democracy causes division. That is, too many mouths are talking and the larger the society the more possibility that the society would not work. This is evident in igbo land as there are many clans and some are distancing themselves away from the igbo identity.

I am waiting for you reply. BTW, thanks for forming this topic.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 8:22pm On Jan 08, 2011
I should have known of some you Nairaland tribalist would attack my opinion that Nigeria could learn from the Ndi igbo traditional democracy.

This is the problem with many of you Africans. You all cannot see past your ethnicity, even though we are all one people. We are Africans and united with our cultural similarities and patterns.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Kobojunkie: 8:22pm On Jan 08, 2011
Ola edo:

Seems like everybody is getting under your skin today grin. You never know what you are talking about lol grin

You don't need to get under my skin for me to be frank with you and I meant every word of my response there. By the way, No one got under my skin today -- @Jason123 did not. I made sure to CLEAR UP THAT ASSUMPTION ON THAT SAME THREAD EARLIER. So please let us not get into the habit of assuming we have MIND READING ABILITIES as some continue to pretend they do here.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by InternetV: 8:23pm On Jan 08, 2011
The only reason Igbo people are finding it difficult in the Nigerian political terrain is because of our egalitarian nature. It's the same reason why people say we're not united.
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by aljharem(m): 8:24pm On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

A very small and minute minority of Igbos believe they are descendants of that Asiatic tribe.

Only a people who suffer from self-hated would say they are descendants of Arabs or Jews. We have always existed in our forest. Our cultures are as old as theirs or even older.

i like that,,,, you make me proud of my culture smiley God bless you

now

in a society were youths and elders are debating on the same table, do you not think there will be confilicting ideas here

i mean the elders (meant to be wiser) who think ahead will the youth are thinking of another thing

take a look at arewa now the youths are saying one thing the elders are saying another
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Missy85(f): 8:25pm On Jan 08, 2011
people are willing to look eastward for lessons in superior democratic norms, assuming such thing exists.

The challenge is that Igboland of today is a byword for political greed, selfishness, disunity, treachery etc, much like the rest of the country. So which lessons in democracy are we to learn from Igbo folks of today - orji kalu, uba brothers, nzeribe, urzor kalu, and many more?
Re: Nigeria Can Learn A Lot From Traditional Igbo Democracy by Akhenaten: 8:25pm On Jan 08, 2011
jason123:

Okay, i understand you but I just want to let you know that every system whether democratic or authoritarian, has its advantages and disadvantages.
The igbo type of democracy causes division. That is, too many mouths are talking and the larger the society the more possibility that the society would not work. This is evident in igbo land as there are many clans and some are distancing themselves away from the igbo identity.

I am waiting for you reply. BTW, thanks for form this topic.

The Igbo democracy haven't been practiced since pre-colonial times. What we have now in Igboland is an abomination. However, we Igbos are not unique to this situation. ALL African cultures have been impacted by colonialism, in which we are still seeing the ramifications.

And the beauty of democracy is that it allows people with opposing views to debate.

The point that some Igbo clans are distancing themselves from the wider Igbo is a red herring that has nothing to do with this debate. Try again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fg May Sack Workers In NCAA, Others Over Bulletproof Cars / Ambode Confirms Justice Opeyemi As Chief Judge Of Lagos State - Pictures / Buhari Has Saved APC – Shehu Sani Reacts To Oyegun’s Tenure Elongation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.