Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? (8118 Views)

Samuel Okonta And Blood Thirsty Rivers State Politicians. / How Effective Are Lagos Laws To Lagosians(photo) / Most Kidnappers In The South East Are Lagos Returnees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by bestads(m): 1:16pm On Jan 09, 2011
dear NLDers i stand to be corrected but i have discovered that political office holders in lagos are mostly molems
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by bestads(m): 1:20pm On Jan 09, 2011
pls no religious bigotry in your replies,we want to know why xtians of lagos origin are not popular in politics.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Afam4eva(m): 1:20pm On Jan 09, 2011
They said they like it like that. Yorubas don't care who's there as long as it's a human being and not IGBO.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by bestads(m): 1:23pm On Jan 09, 2011
i see ur point,why then was funsho williams assasinated as it was obvious he would have won?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jan 09, 2011
afam4eva:

They said they like it like that. Yorubas don't care who's there as long as it's a human being and not[b] IGBO[/b].

Well true. But I believe that's also applicable in other regions too.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Missy85(f): 1:34pm On Jan 09, 2011
- what has religion got to do with good government in the south west?

- also, there's no evidence that christians are descriminated against within party structures in Lagos.  As majority of indegineous lagosians are moslems, it is to be expected that more of their politicians would be moslems.

-I'm sure a leading (Governor) christian politician will emerge in the long run, not on the basis that he's a christian, but on the ground that he's his party's best candidate.

There can be no 'zoning' on the basis of religion.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Missy85(f): 1:39pm On Jan 09, 2011
It's unrealistic to expect an Igbo governor in Lagos at this stage, but it may well happen in the future.

Same is true as a Yoruba emerging as governor of Anambra, or Sokoto.

Why paint the Yorubas as uniquely insular?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Afam4eva(m): 2:22pm On Jan 09, 2011
Missy85:

It's unrealistic to expect an Igbo governor in Lagos at this stage, but it may well happen in the future.

Having an Igbo governor in Lagos and Yoruba governor in Anambra are two diffferent things. The first makes more sense because of the ethnic composition of Lagos. An Igbo person cannot try to be the governor of Ogun state for example.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Missy85(f): 2:40pm On Jan 09, 2011
to my knowledge, there's no law forbidding Igbos from contesting for Governorship or other political posts.

And since some of you claim Igbos represent up to 40% of the population of Lagos, an Igbo person should be confident enough to throw his/her hat in the ring and test their popularity.

Whinging about being denied Presidency & now Lagos Governorship without engaging in the party machinery is poor form.

Or are we to zone Lagos Governorship to Igbos?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Missy85(f): 2:48pm On Jan 09, 2011
am surprised by your Lagos/Anambra analogy. So an Igbo should be governor of Lagos, but we should understand and sympathise with your reason as to why a Yoruba or Hausa man cant be Anambra governor.

You can do better Afam.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 3:47pm On Jan 09, 2011
afam4eva:

They said they like it like that. Yorubas don't care who's there as long as it's a human being and not IGBO.

It is this sort of comments that annoys me! Infact, the topic is annoying.

@ afam4eva

Is there any law that prevents an igbo man from contesting in Lagos? Can a yoruba or hausa man be a governor in Enugu?? Was an igbo man not part of the past and present administration in Lagos? Why do you like to belittle yourselves?

Since someone claimed earlier that igbos make up 40% of Lagos and own 80%, I am sure it would not be hard for an igbo man to win an election in lagos, would it?

Some igbos just think they are hated when its them that generate the hatred for themselves!!!
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by bestads(m): 4:03pm On Jan 09, 2011
".
donspony:

Well true. But I believe that's also applicable in other regions too.
please you people a digressing from the major topic which is "why are there more moslems than xtians having political office in Lagos State".

Missy85 you have just said that there are more moslems of lagos state origin than xtians of lagos state origin,please can you show us proofs as some people have claimed that LATEEF JAKANDE was never from Lagos,neither is Tinubu from Lagos.Rauf aregbesola who was once a commissioner is now Governor of Ekiti state,Dele Alake has gone back to his state to contest,the ACN secretary Lai Mohamed is from Kwara state and he was a principal officer during Tinubu's tenure, please decent comments please
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by bestads(m): 4:07pm On Jan 09, 2011
please you people a digressing from the major topic which is "why are there more moslems than xtians having political office in Lagos State".

Missy85 you have just said that there are more moslems of lagos state origin than xtians of lagos state origin,please can you show us proofs as some people have claimed that LATEEF JAKANDE was never from Lagos,neither is Tinubu from Lagos.Rauf aregbesola who was once a commissioner is now Governor of Osun state,Dele Alake has gone back to his state to contest,the ACN secretary Lai Mohamed is from Kwara state and he was a principal officer during Tinubu's tenure, , please decent comments please
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by JomoGbomo2(m): 4:13pm On Jan 09, 2011
i dont know why the poster started this thread, come to think of it, what good answer will come out of this if not religious and ethnic bigotry as already shown. how do u want to answer this question without pushing the other party down.
lets look at dthose things that bring us together not the ones that separate us.

we need to grow above seeing this religious or ethnic divide before we can get good governance or anything in this country.

i will suggest we look for solutions not causing more hatred amongst ourselves.

Ans: it makes no difference who is there as long as he performs. period
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 4:38pm On Jan 09, 2011
JomoGbomo2:

i dont know why the poster started this thread, come to think of it, what good answer will come out of this if not religious and ethnic bigotry as already shown. how do u want to answer this question without pushing the other party down.
lets look at dthose things that bring us together not the ones that separate us.

we need to grow above seeing this religious or ethnic divide before we can get good governance or anything in this country.

i will suggest we look for solutions not causing more hatred amongst ourselves.

Ans: it makes no difference who is there as long as he performs. period

THANK YOU OOO!!! do not mind the bad belle people!!!
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Afam4eva(m): 4:45pm On Jan 09, 2011
Missy85:

to my knowledge, there's no law forbidding Igbos from contesting for Governorship or other political posts.

And since some of you claim Igbos represent up to 40% of the population of Lagos, an Igbo person should be confident enough to throw his/her hat in the ring and test their popularity.

Whinging about being denied Presidency & now Lagos Governorship without engaging in the party machinery is poor form.

Or are we to zone Lagos Governorship to Igbos?

As a matter of fact an Igbo man contetested in the 2007 election in a relatively unknown party. The only way they can become relevant is if they join a big party like ACN or PDP in lagos but it will be difficult. Anyways Fashola has integrated some Igbo politicians into his cabinet. It's a steady process.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 4:48pm On Jan 09, 2011
Can a yoruba or hausa man be the governor of Enugu? Would you vote for him Why is it only a ONE WAY thing?

afam4eva:

As a matter of fact an Igbo man contetested in the 2007 election in a relatively unknown party. The only way they can become relevant is if they join a big party like ACN or PDP in lagos but it will be difficult. Anyways Fashola has integrated some Igbo politicians into his cabinet. It's a steady process.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Afam4eva(m): 4:49pm On Jan 09, 2011
Missy85:

am surprised by your Lagos/Anambra analogy. So an Igbo should be governor of Lagos, but we should understand and sympathise with your reason as to why a Yoruba or Hausa man  cant be Anambra governor.

You can do better Afam.

I never said a yoruba or hausa person can't Govern Anambra. My point is that for a country where Tribal politics is played it will be very difficult for a non-Igbo person to govern Anambra because the state is made up of over 90% Igbos. Same thing applies to other states other than lagos. Lagos is cosmopolitan in nature and the Igbo population is massive.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by maclatunji: 4:51pm On Jan 09, 2011
Missy85:

A Yoruba man was Governor in Kano, Know?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 4:52pm On Jan 09, 2011
maclatunji:

A Yoruba man was Governor in Kano, Know?

As an hausa man was the governor of lagos (maruwa and he was loved by lagosian), An itsekiri man in Ondo state! Give us the Eastern or IGBO example?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Afam4eva(m): 4:52pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

Can a yoruba or hausa man be the governor of Enugu? Would you vote for him Why is it only a ONE WAY thing?

Why not if he's a resident or whatever it's called in Nigeria as long as i feel the person is qualified and will protect Enugu interest. Not Igbo interest. An Igbo person cannot come from Enugu and come and become Governor of Lagos. It has to be an Igbo Lagosian.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Afam4eva(m): 4:54pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

As an hausa man was the governor of lagos! Give us the Eastern or IGBO example?

Are you this Ignorant. Are u not referring to Marwa. he was a military Governor or are military governors elected or appointed by the states?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 4:55pm On Jan 09, 2011
afam4eva:

Why not if he's a resident or whatever it's called in Nigeria as long as i feel the person is qualified and will protect Enugu interest. Not Igbo interest. An Igbo person cannot come from Enugu and come and become Governor of Lagos. It has to be an Igbo Lagosian.

Fair enough! Personally, I do not mind a yorubanised igbo man/ woman as my governor but I do not want it to be a one way street.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by maclatunji: 4:56pm On Jan 09, 2011
afam4eva:

Are you this Ignorant. Are u not referring to Marwa. he was a military Governor or are military governors elected or appointed by the states?

Thank you, the man does not know I mean a Yoruba man was elected Governor in Kano.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 4:57pm On Jan 09, 2011
afam4eva:

No, i am not. The point is, he was loved by yorubas. I bet if he was to contest at the start of the civilian regime, he MIGHT be elected. undecided
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Afam4eva(m): 4:57pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

Fair enough! Personally, I do not mind a yorubanised igbo man/ woman as my governor but I do not want it to be a one way street.

You see how dumb you sound. Yorubanized Igbo. Why should he be yorubanized when he's not protecting yoruba interest but Lagos inetest.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 4:58pm On Jan 09, 2011
maclatunji:

Thank you, the man does not know I mean a Yoruba man was elected Governor in Kano.

I said I do not want a one way street. You cannot be agitating for an igbo governor, detribalisation etc in those states and not wish the same for your states.
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 5:00pm On Jan 09, 2011
afam4eva:

You see how dumb you sound. Yorubanized Igbo. Why should he be yorubanized when he's not protecting yoruba interest but Lagos inetest.

What I mean by yorubanised igbo is an igbo man that understands the culture and how to handle yorubas not someone that is ignorant undecided
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by maclatunji: 5:01pm On Jan 09, 2011
He  means an Igbo man by blood (or birth if you like) but Yoruba in terms of everything else.

afam4eva:

Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by Afam4eva(m): 5:01pm On Jan 09, 2011
jason123:

What I mean by yorubanised igbo is an igbo man that understands the culture and how to handle yorubas not someone that is ignorant undecided
Is it only yorubas that are in Lagos? If i'm not wrong you live in the states. Is that how things are done over there?
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 5:02pm On Jan 09, 2011
maclatunji:

He  means an Igbo man by blood (or birth if you like) but Yoruba in terms of everything else.

Gbam!!! That the only way to avoid insecurity among the yorubas in Lagos. THATS THE REALITY. Thank you!
Re: Are Lagos State Politicians Are Mostly Moslem? by jason123: 5:04pm On Jan 09, 2011
afam4eva:

Is it only yorubas that are in Lagos? If i'm not wrong you live in the states. Is that how things are done over there?

I'm in uk and a scottish man cannnot be ELECTED as the prime minister of britian (BROWN was appointed not elected).

Edited: Pls, do not get me wrong. Anyone born in lagos is a Lagosian and can contest but he has to have the mentality of yorubas. That is, speak yoruba and act like them (most already do) before people would trust him. If not, there is no point in him contesting.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Boko Haram Busted Or Conspiracy To Cover Sss Weakness? / ... / The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.