Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria (79640 Views)

PHOTOS: Bad State Of Secondary Schools In Kano / The Shambolic State Of Secondary Education In Nigeria / 2012 Rating Of Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by johnie: 10:15am On Jan 17, 2011
woodcook:

In as much as I believe in quality education I am not a fan of paying so much so that a child can get the "best" secondary education. I believe that there are a lot of secondary schools out there that can provide quality education. I really don't give a poo about all the hype about Loyola and co. But one thing I must say is that even if you send a " not-so-smart person" to Harvard it wouldn't change a thing. So I will never rate Loyola or any school in its cadre as the best, because after Loyola lies the four walls of the University where the kid will go and wrestle it out with kids from other schools. Then there will be no more special teacher or the best private or public schools. What you would have then is the same reading materials and course content, you have to study and think then. No special teacher doing the trick anymore. I attended a secondary school without a name, but in my days in the university, those of them from the so called private best schools never saw my back. The first five in my class all attended secondary schools without rank or any name. so let's cut the crap on this ranting. It is only going to make the kids feel bad. A child that is a genius will still be one and a not-so-smart person will definitely be one no matter where he or she is schooled.

Thanks for your response woodcock. I do agree with you that the school does not make the child smart. You should however understand that my question is that "given you present level of income, what school would you consider best for your child?"

The school you attended may have provided you with just enough to make it along with your own individual brilliance and hard work but would you send your child to the same school if you have resources to send your child to the most expensive school?

The role an "expensive" school plays in developing the global outlook, self-confidence and valuable network (not just academics) of a child is very important especially when the child is not pampered at home.

What do you think?
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jan 21, 2011
I definitely agree with you that school plays a part in a child's outlook towards life. I strongly believe that what you get in those "expensive" schools you could still get in most schools around. Think about this; no matter how "expensive" the school you attended was, you definitely going to attend same university with people from the so called "less" expensive schools which by default would consist a larger proportion of your class mate even if the child is fortunate to study abroad. What I definitely would do is to send my child to any good school around no matter how much I earn not the so called elite secondary schools. One thing I owe that child is to send the child to the best university in the world. You know why? what determines how a child respond to the society or sees himself are not really found in secondary school rather in higher institution.
If you think this through, most of the relationships/connections you have now were built in the university not secondary schools and the greatest influence in your life in terms of career and personal development were all triggered by people you met in the uni and not in secondary secondary. Going by my favorite quote; of what use is to me if my parents after sending me to "Loyola" I ended up attending one university in Berkshire, London and not Cambridge or Harvard or MIT and co? My point is if you want to spend so much on a child's education please spend it at the right time and place not just throw it away because your neighbors or colleagues kids are attending a particular school so yours must attend to.
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Liyola(m): 5:47am On Jan 22, 2011
1. Ijegun Comprehensive High School, Ijegun.
2. Muslim College, Egbe [musco].
3. Igando Community High School, Ikotun.
4. Ikotun High School, Ikotun.
5. Egan High School, Egan,
@poster, forget loyola or watever, ds ar d best schls in 9ja, WAEC sef sabi dem wel wel wit deir 1st Grade in F9's.
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:00am On Jan 22, 2011
1. University of Abuja
2.Maddona University
3.Okoro gbede Community High School

. . .you can beat the reach!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by eldee(m): 11:16am On Jan 22, 2011
Covenant University . . .in the aspect of discipline. grin grin
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by joshelen(m): 2:01pm On Jan 25, 2011
GOVERNMENT SECONDARY SCHOOL iLORIN kWARA STATE
MOTTO: NO STRUGGLE, NO SUCCESS
GREAT STALLON
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 5:24pm On Jan 25, 2011
@ ALL

What of the physical development of the students??It's not enough to say fully AC'd classes and dormitories,ICT blah blah blah(as if those are different from the ones in their homes and cars),good as they are,our children run the risk of growing up like feeble agric fowls by attending all these private schools that dont pay attention to physical and health education of the students.Little wonder secondary school students now present with unprecedented rates of obesity,heart and other diseases,plus the fact that the athletic potentials of the students are never dicovered.

In this regard, a school that has good PE curriculum and facilities;especially with a good sports field to boot ranks high in my book

1 Like

Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by niblog(m): 1:46pm On Jul 07, 2011
woodcook:

I definitely agree with you that school plays a part in a child's outlook towards life. I strongly believe that what you get in those "expensive" schools you could still get in most schools around. Think about this; no matter how "expensive" the school you attended was, you definitely going to attend same university with people from the so called "less" expensive schools which by default would consist a larger proportion of your class mate even if the child is fortunate to study abroad. What I definitely would do is to send my child to any good school around no matter how much I earn not the so called elite secondary schools. One thing I owe that child is to send the child to the best university in the world. You know why? what determines how a child respond to the society or sees himself are not really found in secondary school rather in higher institution.
If you think this through, most of the relationships/connections you have now were built in the university not secondary schools and the greatest influence in your life in terms of career and personal development were all triggered by people you met in the uni and not in secondary secondary. Going by my favorite quote; of what use is to me if my parents after sending me to "Loyola" I ended up attending one university in Berkshire, London and not Cambridge or Harvard or MIT and co? My point is if you want to spend so much on a child's education please spend it at the right time and place not just throw it away because your neighbors or colleagues kids are attending a particular school so yours must attend to.

Well said. That has always been my take. Why spend so much at high school level and end-up in a Nigerian university? I'm of the view that a better plan for a child is to spend moderately at nursery, elementary, and secondary school levels, then uitilize the savings for the child's university education in any of the best universities abroad ( or at least, let the child undertake a 1-year masters programme  in any of the best universities abroad).
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by destineguy(m): 8:50am On Feb 26, 2012
I'll go for Frontliners college,Ibadan. Very moderate tution fee nd dedicated teachers. Cant say its d best skul,bt its surely among d best. ¤¤the best always¤¤
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Maurice45(m): 10:15pm On Feb 26, 2012
I'd prefer fed govt colleges
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by ayobase(m): 1:03pm On Mar 20, 2012
Pls, what abt Binta, Queens and kings college, Gideon Intl School?
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Abattola: 9:07am On Jul 30, 2012
I knw 2 sec sch in osogbo osunstate,dey re simply d best
(1)Roseful int'l high sch
(2)Prime college osogbo
by jayeola abass
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Damselnoni(f): 11:23pm On Jan 26, 2013
Simmic High School Ikotun,Lagos[best sch,1 love]
Simmic primary school IkotuN,Lagos.
sacred Heart,Onireke Ibadan[awon temi niyen]
R E S P E C T TO A L L S C H O O L S
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 27, 2013
Boko haram instiute of Tech. Minna is the best sec. School ever
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by abialic(m): 8:22am On May 21, 2013
Est. 1905, Methodist Boys High School Oron, simply the best. At MBHS we have an Anchor that keeps the soul.

Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by safejourney: 3:39pm On May 22, 2013
Do you want to try ELEFOSAN SCHOOL OF SCIENCE, IPETU IJESA OSUN STATE?

Three Gbosa for the School.
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Ifecoded(m): 6:20pm On May 22, 2013
capsogiga: BEST SCHOOL IN NIGERIA IS COMMUNITY SECONDARY SCHOOL, AJANLEKOKO, MUSHIN, LAGOS.
MOTTO: HA! OUN TUN DA !!!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Na otapiapia dem dey sell 4 d skul? E gbadun sir. Lol.
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Ifecoded(m): 6:42pm On May 22, 2013
Wen we talk abt best skuls in 9ja, we av 2 talk abt 1. Otalenu special skul 2.abokusoro talented students 3. Future cheaters Int'll 4. Ajanlekoko fine skul 5. Scammers&Ashawo college. D likes of Adedibu,Oga@d top,Alao akala, jonathan,Tonto dikeh,Seun Osewa,Obasanjo Graduated 4rm dis skul.
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Damselnoni(f): 9:47pm On May 22, 2013
Ifecoded: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Na otapiapia dem dey sell 4 d skul? E gbadun sir. Lol.
igbo-owu snr sec sch beta pass community.
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by delvy: 8:41am On Aug 01, 2013
i will vote Sadiyyah Model Schools amongst the top ten secondary schools in nigeria, though its an Islamic school , they compete with other top rated
You can checkout their website www.sadiyyahmodelschool.com.
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Mustp: 2:06pm On Jul 24, 2014
2 me d bst sch in Nigeria is bishop phillips academy iwo-road ibadan.
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Prescott001(m): 4:27am On Dec 27, 2014
I hate this Post..
Must Pple compare schools...
Though am a student of Kings College
KC-Winner NECO SSCE 2013 & 2014
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Hayhorbhami: 2:46pm On May 08, 2015
kehneah:
there's a school in kwara that i feel should be worth mentioning and its thomas adewunmi college, this school churns out very brilliant students.another is taidob college at abeokuta
I strongly rep Taidob college... missing my alma mater
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by SStoneCCold: 7:56am On Aug 27, 2015
St. Finbarr's College, Akoka, Lagos
St, Gregory's College, Obalende, Lagos
King's College, Lagos
Military School, Jos.
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 2:34am On Nov 06, 2015
Federal schools aka Unity schools were the in-thing, back in the 80's.
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Wilchi: 1:56pm On Jul 16, 2022
SStoneCCold:
King's College, Lagos
Military School, Jos.

True! I'm an ex student of St finbarrs college Akoka Lagos 2016 set. The training I received from that school helped me excel academically (and other aspects) even in my university days. I hope to train my future son (s) in that school someday.
Re: Rating Of Secondary Schools In Nigeria by Wilchi: 2:20pm On Jul 16, 2022
SStoneCCold:
King's College, Lagos
Military School, Jos.

True!
I'm an ex student of St finbarrs college 2016 set. The academic and moral training i got from that school helped me a lot even in my university days. I strongly recommend that school for boys. I hope my future sons attend that school.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abuja Pupils Print Banners To Vie For Head Boy, Head Girl (Photos) / Decayed University Of Nigeria (UNN) Hostels (Graphic Photos) / Ado-Ekiti Poly Rector Accused Of Investing N1Bn Lecturers Salaries In Bitcoin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.