Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,822 members, 7,806,310 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? (3334 Views)

***nigerian Culture To Answer A Question With Another Question?*** / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures / The Beauty Of Northern Nigerian Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by Princek12(m): 12:37pm On Jan 12, 2011
What do you guys think?
Re: Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by lovemoi2(f): 7:28pm On Jan 12, 2011
Possible
Re: Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by Tsiya(m): 9:46pm On Jan 13, 2011
How?
Re: Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by odumchi: 3:33pm On Jan 21, 2011
It's true. The Hausa language is a Semitic language related to those found in the middle east. Also the Hausa and Fulani languages come from the Afro-Asiatic language family imunlike Igbo and Yoruba which both come from the Niger-Congo language family .

Well that's my 2cents. wink
Re: Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:59pm On Jan 21, 2011
Northern Nigerian culture is Sahelian.

More similar to North African than some other African cultures, but not Middle Eastern, I think.
Re: Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by namfav(m): 6:42am On Mar 29, 2011
odumchi:

It's true. The Hausa language is a Semitic language related to those found in the middle east. Also the Hausa and Fulani languages come from the Afro-Asiatic language family imunlike Igbo and Yoruba which both come from the Niger-Congo language family .

Well that's my 2cents. wink

the hausa and fulani languages are no way semitic
Re: Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by EzeUche(m): 2:28pm On Mar 29, 2011
I would say that Northern Nigerian culture is more Middle Eastern than African, because of their strict adherence to Islam, which is a Middle Eastern religion. Many Hausa even choose to bear Muslim names instead of their indigenous African names.
Re: Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by namfav(m): 5:02pm On Mar 29, 2011
islam is not a middle eastern religion, fool, and islamic names are the beauty of our faith
Re: Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by EzeUche(m): 9:18pm On Mar 29, 2011
namfav:

islam is not a middle eastern religion, fool, and islamic names are the beauty of our faith

Islam is a Middle Eastern religion. Just like Judaism and Christianity. Do you even know your own religion or are you just talking nonsense?

Islamic names = Arabic names

Arabs are native to the Middle East, not Africa, yet many Northern groups have forsaken their beautiful African names for these foreign names.

I am happy to have a fully indigenous African name.

1 Like

Re: Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by namfav(m): 6:39am On Mar 30, 2011
EzeUche:

Islam is a Middle Eastern religion. Just like Judaism and Christianity. Do you even know your own religion or are you just talking nonsense?

Islamic names = Arabic names

Arabs are native to the Middle East, not Africa, yet many Northern groups have forsaken their beautiful African names for these foreign names.

I am happy to have a fully indigenous African name.

islam is not a middle eastern religion because the message is universal, islam was outside of the middle east before inside the middle east for your info so it is not a bred middle eastern religion but the most truthful religion in the world which addresses and answers all people

islamic names are islamic names, they are part of our faith, so mind your business
Re: Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by anonymous6(f): 8:51pm On Jun 05, 2012
Princek12: What do you guys think?

I haven't been to Northern Nigerian however It is possible but I feel when it comes to religion they are but everything else is Nigerian. To me North Africa is completely another middle east culturally, the only African about them is the continent they are in, they are part of the African union and their ancient history to a extent
Re: Northern Nigerian Culture: More Middle Eastern Than Nigerian? by Nobody: 8:57am On Jun 06, 2012
namfav:

islam is not a middle eastern religion because the message is universal, islam was outside of the middle east before inside the middle east for your info so it is not a bred middle eastern religion but the most truthful religion in the world which addresses and answers all people

islamic names are islamic names, they are part of our faith, so mind your business
i hate it when people like you reject truth even when its so eveident among us. If you accept the truth that Ezeuche is saying, are you going to die? or are the fundamentals of your faith going to be infringed upon? Will you stop being the person that you are? Or will you be condemned to death?

Those names you call islamic are actually Arabic names because they predate islam. Islam came when the prophet was 40. And befor this time he had already started bearing the name Muhammad!

Probably the reason why you do not want to accept it is becos you think we are saying its only muslims that make this mistake. but dont worry you are not alone in the game becos christians also make that mistake. What they call christian names are actuallr hebrew, greek or roman names. Ansd so, when the go for baptism, they are forced to choose raymond instead of ikechukwu

(1) (Reply)

Why Are People Who Do Not Speak Yoruba Or Hausa Refer To As The Igbo's / Akwaibom/crossriver Caps / Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.