Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,956 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

The Ika People{igbanke}. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ika People{igbanke}. (46045 Views)

Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. / History Of Ika People(umunede) / Ika People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by 006(m): 7:05am On Apr 19, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Nonsense. Of course Eka is not "Igbo". "Igbo" is an ethnicity, and ALL "Igbo" people share the same progenitor and have the same undivided culture. Even, moreover, "Igbo" language is different from Eka language. They don't even sound the same. Normal "Igbo" cannot understand Eka. Eka people don't even have any relationship with the "Igbo" across the river, in the first place. Although, Eka culture is corrupted with elements of "Igbo" culture, but that's just because the "Igbo" farmers infiltrated Eka land and brought their dominating farm culture into the already well established Eka kingdom. We maintain though that the Eka are not "Igbo". Eka has nothing to do with "Igbo". There is nothing like Eka-"Igbo". Just a bunch of nonsense farmers trying to claim a whole small kingdom.

"Igbo" people should leave ali Eka alone. We can lay claims to distinction. Ali Eka is a kingdom, and you mere farmers, with no king, cannot claim it.

Hahaha, why you dey vex? Ndi Ika akpasugo gi iwe?  wink
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Abagworo(m): 11:23am On Apr 19, 2010
Again.

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:10pm On Apr 19, 2010
006, No. I'm not upset. Instead, I'm just posting how their argument sounds. . Being sarcastic.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by AndreUweh(m): 9:07pm On Apr 19, 2010
@Sonya
I cant believe you. You can insult individuals and not the entire Igbo race. Please stop that madness. Do not drag this thread to that level as this is a war you can not win. Even my community forumites outnumber the entire Ika forumites here. But desist from insulting ndigbo as we are here to learn from one another.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by udezue(m): 4:28am On Apr 20, 2010
lol Sonyaaaa,
Ohanendioshi??

Self hatred is not good. Don't worry more Igbos from Ika are joining and flooding Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo or "Ndioshi" and there is nothing u can do about it sweetie. Your sons and daughters will even join and become Presidents and lead the Igbo nation. grin
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by sonya4all(m): 8:14am On Apr 20, 2010
I am really sorry,i was pushd,forgive me all,i love nigeria!
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by agbotaen: 11:17am On Apr 22, 2010
i dont know why a people who number in several millions are so interested in winning over a small group of people who have decided to take thier destiny in their hand ,by declaring that they are ikas and have refused to join any igbo groupings.so just leave us , every group have the right to self determination and ikas have said they are ikas and we do not want any thing to do with any igbo organisation.we appreciate their effort and even a letter was written by ohaneze to ika leaders to join , and our leaders told them we cannot join them ,in view of the fact that many of our people have different ancestory and as such it will not be right and that we are a seperate people now.any way all this shouting will not affect anything as the key movers of ika will not and will never join the igbos period.
we might not have numbers , but we are a very proud of our civilization and culture and tradition.and we are also proud of who we are .the ika people.
if you are not ika then you are not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:45pm On Apr 22, 2010
Chai. . Agbotaen. No one is trying to win you over. You're already categorized as "Igbo". Some are just trying to really put it into perspective for you. To help you better understand what the categorization means, because many of you seem to have the wrong idea.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by AndreUweh(m): 12:21am On Apr 24, 2010
agbotaen:

i dont know why a people who number in several millions are so interested in winning over a small group of people who have decided to take thier destiny in their hand ,by declaring that they are ikas and have refused to join any igbo groupings.so just leave us , every group have the right to self determination and ikas have said they are ikas and we do not want any thing to do with any igbo organisation.we appreciate their effort and even a letter was written by ohaneze to ika leaders to join , and our leaders told them we cannot join them ,in view of the fact that many of our people have different ancestory and as such it will not be right and that we are a seperate people now.any way all this shouting will not affect anything as the key movers of ika will not and will never join the igbos period.
we might not have numbers , but we are a very proud of our civilization and culture and tradition.and we are also proud of who we are .the ika people.
if you are not ika then you are not.

Clap for your self. Shall we now celebrate the birth of a new ethnic group?. No, Ika will remain as Igbo sub group. You can never change that.

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:29am On Apr 24, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Clap for your self. Shall we now celebrate the birth of a new ethnic group?. No, Ika will remain as Igbo sub group. You can never change that.
I hate that coinage.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by AndreUweh(m): 12:31am On Apr 24, 2010
@Agbotaen: At the last Anioma cultural festival at Asaba last year (26/04/2010). The Delta state commisioner for culture-Richard Mofe-Damijo spoke extensively about Igbo Culture, the display of Igbo culture and he rounded up by praising the Igbo people. The Ika monarchs were there as well as other Delta Igbo Obis. No Ika Obi objected to his presentation and they all had handshakes with him. So why didn't the Ika monarchs say no that they are now a new ethnic group?.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by sonya4all(m): 3:57pm On Apr 24, 2010
@andre,why do u keep saying what u dnt knw,ika has always existed as on of the 200+ ethnic groups in nigeria.Pls check ur records,i tut u were a profesor of ethnic histories.Ptcheeeeew!!.Rubish.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 2:52am On Apr 25, 2010
Still with the misconceptions. Then again, I don't blame you. Many Igbo themselves don't really paint a realistic picture of Igbo identity.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by AndreUweh(m): 8:37am On Apr 25, 2010
sonya4all:

@andre,why do u keep saying what u dnt knw,ika has always existed as on of the 200+ ethnic groups in nigeria.Pls check your records,i tut u were a profesor of ethnic histories.Ptcheeeeew!!.Rubish.

Your reply is not a response to my last post. In my last post, I wrote about Anioma cultural festival of last year. In the presence of Ika and Other Delta Igbo monarchs, RMD-the Delta state commissioner for culture talked about The Igbo culture and praised the Igbo culture. People applauded him and there was no objection.
Plesae, the 200 and so ethnic groupings are utter nonsense.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by sonya4all(m): 9:00am On Apr 25, 2010
@andre.Where is R.M.D,from,Robin sander of usa,talked very well of nigerian cultures and was aplauded for that and honoured,so how does that make her a nigeria,dnt force me 2 call u a stone age man.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 1:25pm On Apr 25, 2010
Andre, considering the definition of an ethnic group, and considering the situation we have in Nigeria, the idea that there are 200+ ethnic groups cannot be thrown out the window like that.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by 006(m): 3:36pm On Apr 25, 2010
There are 3 ethnic groups in my family alone that were not added to that number.

So we have (200+) + 3
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Abagworo(m): 9:21pm On Apr 25, 2010
the ethnic groups in present delta state as documented in 1906 are igabo,sabo,igbo,ijaw and jekri.there was no ika.the term 'ika' might have originated in the last 60 years.it is rather shameful for one to deny his ethnicity due to inferiority complex to gain acceptability from the non-igbos.binis refer to ika as igbos and are their closest neighbour.other igbos identify ika as part of igbo.itsekiris,urhobos and isokos know that ika is igbo.why then engage in self denial?not all ikas are involved though.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by AndreUweh(m): 11:51pm On Apr 25, 2010
sonya4all:

@andre.Where is R.M.D,from,Robin sander of usa,talked very well of nigerian cultures and was aplauded for that and honoured,so how does that make her a nigeria,dnt force me 2 call u a stone age man.

RMD: RICHARD MOFE-DAMIJO.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by sonya4all(m): 9:57am On Apr 26, 2010
@andre and aba,i think the both of u are either bats or cant understand the diference btw who and where,i ask where is he from,tell me his village since u knw delta state wella,ewobi
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by abadaba(m): 7:38pm On Apr 26, 2010
sonya4all:

@andre and aba,i think the both of u are either bats or cant understand the diference btw who and where,i ask where is he from,tell me his village since u knw delta state wella,ewobi

You son of a prostitute. Richard M-Damijo is from Delta State but non-Igbo. He is a commissioner while you are a nobody. Such a mystical beast like you has no business here. Get lost zombie.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 9:01pm On Apr 26, 2010
His "non-Igbo-ness" disqualified him.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by 006(m): 12:21am On Apr 27, 2010
^^^

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by abadaba(m): 12:53am On Apr 27, 2010
Richard Mofe-Damijo is non-Igbo but knows that Ika people are Ndigbo. While he was addressing Anioma people last year at their cultural festival, regarded Ika etc as Igbo people. No objection from any one present on that occasion.
It is a pity that such a Simpleton called Sonya will differ here. Shame to the freaking BAS.TARD.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 1:03am On Apr 27, 2010
His "non-Igbo-ness" still disqualified him, regardless of whatever office he holds. As such, he cannot speak for any group, but his own.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by finestboy1: 2:24am On Apr 27, 2010
dalu ooooooooooo grin
e si me kele eeeeee cheesy
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by agbotaen: 10:05am On Apr 28, 2010
i have tried to enlighten most people on this group who are not well grounded in the history of anioma area of delta state, the cultural festival the aniomas do is called ofaac, anioma festival of arts and culture , it is not igbo cultural festival, and the traditions and culture of anioma is different from that of igbo.in anioma there are many languages and groups of people like the igala,edoic related groups, yoruba related groups ,and igbo groups,in anioma there are 11 languages spoken and the cultural festival reflects yoruba masquerades from ugbodu and other towns, bini and igala and igbo dances and culture.the man who coined the word anioma was chief denis osadebe of asaba-the premier of mid-west , he wrote that the anioma people are of diverse origins ,some from igboland , some from edo, igala , yoruba and so forth ,but all decided to form anioma .if you are not from delta state some times it will be difficult to understand what am saying .
and like i said , public opinion is not a proof of truth ,because the generality of the public are still ignorant- most people are still igbnorant, take for example a common phrase we use in describing hausa people , we call them hausa-fulanis , and there is nothing like that , it is either you are hausa or fulani period,in several african countries they have hausa people and fulanis too as seperate ethnic group, but the ignorant nigerians keep saying hausa-fulani like the ignorant people who say ika-igbo,what is the meaning of that ? you are either igbo or ika .
and as for mofe-damijo-he is an itsekiri by tribe ,so who is he? if called yoruba will he like it ? or benin ? the answer is no, itsekiris are a mix of yoruba and edo and they are a seperate group of people called itsekiri ,so ikas are a group of people mixed too , who are now ikas period ,no matter the identity that ignorant people give us we still remain ika nwa-ebon,if you are not nwaebon then you are not ika.our fore fathers built great kingdoms and we are proud of our ancestory ,because like the saying goes the son of a king is king, so ikas are children of proud royal blood.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:41pm On Apr 28, 2010
agbotaen:

i have tried to enlighten most people on this group who are not well grounded in the history of anioma area of delta state
Just as how people in this group are trying to enlighten you on the nature of Igbo identity, which you seem to be gravely misunderstanding.

Regarding the festivals. . . big deal. Each Igbo group, or group regions, has cultural festivals unique, and peculiar to that place. Ika certainly cannot claim such distinction, in that respect. The origins of the different Igbo groups differ (i.e. they are not synonymous). Ika, again, cannot claim such distinction, in that respect.

agbotaen:

so ikas are a group of people mixed too , who are now ikas period ,no matter the identity that ignorant people give us we still remain ika nwa-ebon,if you are not nwaebon then you are not ika.our fore fathers built great kingdoms and we are proud of our ancestory ,because like the saying goes the son of a king is king, so ikas are children of proud royal blood.
I see you are still completely misunderstanding the nature of Igbo identity. No one is coming to strip you of your Ika-ness. Stop being paranoid. As for nwa ebon. . . big deal. Each Igbo group has terms that it uses to set aside itself from other groups. Ika, again, cannot claim such distinction, in that respect. You seem too busy slapping the label on everyone as "wrong", without first even hearing them out, to understand what they have to say.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by sonya4all(m): 9:07am On Apr 29, 2010
@chi,i dnt get u,where r u still standing?
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:21pm On Apr 29, 2010
On harsh reality and the obvious truth. . . well, obvious for some, I guess, and not so obvious for others.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by abadaba(m): 7:27pm On Apr 29, 2010
@Sonya: Umuede or Umunede, Umuahia, Rumuokoro, Umuelemai, Umuelem etc, no matter where you come, you are an Igbo man. It is pointless for a bigoted ape like you to differ.I.DI.OT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Lawani Amubieya With His Wives, From 1905-1911 (Throwback Photos / Christie Sells Nigerian Statues Of Igbo Deities That Were Looted / Ovie Richard Layeguen, Delta Monarch Who Reads Without Glasses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.