Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,394 members, 7,808,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

The Ika People{igbanke}. - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ika People{igbanke}. (46103 Views)

Igbanke From Edo State To Delta State. / History Of Ika People(umunede) / Ika People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 1:19am On Jun 29, 2010
Okay then. I guess I'll have to work on that, because I'd hate to think that I'm continually giving people the wrong impression.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by udezue(m): 11:48am On Jun 29, 2010
Asha80 said"I doubt if anyone is dragging the above with you.You seem to be one that is always repeating it to yourself as if someone is threathning your ngwa consiousness." GBAM
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:01pm On Jun 29, 2010
You're late. Issue's already been resolved.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by agbotaen: 3:12pm On Jun 29, 2010
most igbocentric people should know that anioma is made up of people and groups with deferent languages and ancestory like the ikas who speak ika language ,while some of them speak ozara,ukuanis and abohs ,some ukuwani people speak orogun language , you also have others like ugbodu and others who speak olukunmi ,an old yoruba language,ebu that speaks igala and others ,and those that speak undiluted igbo.these groups have been relating and going to war , and itermarrying for centuries ,so they have a strong tie ,and they decided to form ANIOMA,This groups were seperate before ,but about 50 years ago , the great chief denis osadebe and others coined the term anioma to refer to all the people that live towards the east of benin kingdom.
and if you listen or have read the write up leading to the founding of anioma , he said the people migrated from igboland, yorubaland ,benin, esan, igala and others , but due to long time of relating together they share similar culture.and they have all agreed to the term anioma.
let me say that the term ika is different from aniocha ,or osimili, the use of ika-igbo to refer to all the people that live towards the east of benin , gained prominence with the heroic feat of the late obi of agbor , obika gbenoba .but right now ikas leave in two local govt.area of delta state , ika south and ika north east.having said this ,i want to correct certain impression.
1. the ika area was liberated from biafra inn 1967 ,few months after biafra invaded the mid-west region.
2. the nigerian army established their military base in boji-boji area of agbor and owa near the orogodo river,and one of their base was at umunede.3.some ikas soldiers went with biafra , like anuku ,who was biafran chief of navy,and some others fought on the side of the nigerian army
3. some ikas like anuku of eee .

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by agbotaen: 3:29pm On Jun 29, 2010
some ikas fought on biafra side , while some fought for nigerian army, like anuka became the biafran chief of navy, while some others ikas rose in rank in the nigerian army like major ighodalo, ebie, osaigbovou and others.but the general consencus amongst ikas was not to support the civil war .
1. it is on record that both the nigerian army and biafran army engaged in senslessly killing innocent civilians , as recorded in many killings of non-igbos, hausas , uhrobos,itsekiris and others in agbr and ika areas when biafra took over .later the nigerian army killed lots of defenceless civilian in some anioma and eastern nigerian areas .
2. to put the record straight the vast majority of ika areas did not witness the bloody killings witnessed in areas like asaba, ishiagu, and others towards the river niger .in fact general muritala was received in owa area and he became friendly with owa indigenes during and after the war , infact he was given a chief thancy title of ojeba of owa kingdom.,this was also due to the fact that the obi of owa protected many non-owa indigenes including hausas in owa forest ,so that they would not be killed by biafra .
3. before the civil war , osadebe denis was made the priemier of mid-west nigeria, and at that time benins were the largest ethnic group in midwest,if they do not accept the anioma people , why did they allow osadebe to rule in benin?
4. when the mid -west was captured by biafra , why did they put one okonkwo as the governor is that not an insult in benin territory ? why did the biafras manhandle the oba of benin,as the binis will put it , they desecreted their tradition ,and another point was that binis felt betrayed by some of thier brothers whom they thought sold them out to biafra, because it was the mid-western anioma soldiers of biafra and some yorubas that made it possible.

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by agbotaen: 3:48pm On Jun 29, 2010
1. wars bring out the beast in man , even the inter-community wars fought amongst ikas for land is brutal, what about the ife -modakeke wars ,in which hundreds of lives and many properties were destroyed ? and these two communities are yorubas , what about umulere and agulere wars ? in which lives were lost and properties destroyed ? and they are both igbos , what about ijaw and itshekiri wars in delta state in which several hundreds of people died and both groups live in warri ? what about the continous jos war in which thousands have died ? and they are all northerners ,the binis have wagged several wars in the past with their ishan brothers resulting in thousands of lives lost in ancient times , so also binis have wagged war against agbor in times past and agbor itself have aslo done the same against the binis and others .in 1896 , when most of the agbor traders using the river niger routes were being harrased by people from itamuzu in aniocha area , the obi agborbu declared war on the area, agbor also declared war on igbudu-akan in ancient times , so war is also a natural process in the evolution of a race .
2.we are ikas and we wish to remain that , if any person have a falacy that one day ikas will say , they are igbos then that person better wake up from his or her dream.
3. any time the ikas say they have a relationship with benin , most igbos are pained , why is that so , but we also have a relationship with you (igbos) but spare us the right to say who we are .we might not have great population ,but we are very proud of who we are and we know we are ikas.

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by beneli(m): 5:01pm On Jun 29, 2010
Abagworo:

you are drawing us back by mentioning qualities of an ethnic group.ok what are the qualities that makes one distinct?remember you might personally feel distinct but to others you have no differences.for example in ngwaland,an osisioma man whose area is highly urbanised might feel distinct from isialangwa man whose area is rather backward and highly into crime,does that make them any different?ngwa is ngwa so is igbo igbo.even though the ngwas have continued to tarnish the image of the igbo nation,i have never seen any igbo man coming out to disclaim them because we are all igbos.same goes with every part of igboland.

I find the bolded to be ignorant and quite offensive.

How exactly have the Ngwas continued to 'tarnish the image of the Igbo nation'?  There are some statements that you brush off, because you understand that the author is, to borrow from your rant, 'backward'-intellectually. But when it comes from somebody who you don't usually count as being of that hue, it becomes a matter of concern. Your statement about Isialangwa people being 'backward and highly into crime' is unevidenced and very prejudiced. I am trying very hard not to label you a slowpoke, and believe me, it takes a lot of will power.

So what exactly is it that the Ngwa's do that tarnishes the image of the 'Igbo nation'. What is your evidence that the Ngwa are any more criminally minded than people of your own village or, in this instance, people of your tribe? (I use 'tribe' here because somebody who has some sought of ethnic pride and enlightened consciousness would not bleat out such vacuous tribalistic drivel).
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by udezue(m): 5:48pm On Jun 29, 2010
Chinenyen,
Mscheeewwww!!!!!
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 6:40pm On Jun 29, 2010
Lielaa hnwe ojoo. Don't get upset because I don't identify like the rest of you.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by abadaba(m): 8:32pm On Jun 29, 2010
Why are some id.io.ts here always preaching Ika awareness or Ngwa awareness. How shameful it is. After Ngwa awareness, it will be Aba awareness, then Eziukwu awareness and after that, it will be something as Ikonne's family awareness. Shameless fools.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 9:15pm On Jun 29, 2010
Why is it shameful for me to be aware, satisfied and proud of being an Ngwa son? Why is it shameful for me to identify as an Ngwa? Please explain.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by abadaba(m): 9:34pm On Jun 29, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Why is it shameful for me to be aware, satisfied and proud of being an Ngwa son? Why is it shameful for me to identify as an Ngwa? Please explain.
Why not create an Ngwa thread and allow other Ngwa nairalanders to come and join you. Why are you preaching Ngwa awareness in a thread that is not meant for Ngwa?. You silly clanish brat.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by 006(m): 9:48pm On Jun 29, 2010
abadaba:

Why not create an Ngwa thread and allow other Ngwa nairalanders to come and join you. Why are you preaching Ngwa awareness in a thread that is not meant for Ngwa?. You silly clanish brat.

If I say I no tire, know say I dey lie. The whole thing tire me. Ngwa of all Ngwa! lipsrsealed
Those that were born and bred in Ngwaland have never been this "aware". I wonder the origin of this, was it indoctrination or mere paranoia.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 10:04pm On Jun 29, 2010
You all just don't cease to amaze me. Even you Abadaba.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by 006(m): 10:07pm On Jun 29, 2010
^^^

Are you really ok? I mean, are you sure you're not sick?

You're simply paranoid!
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 10:10pm On Jun 29, 2010
I still don't get why you all get upset with those who deny Igbo identity as if they are detrimental to your cause.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by 006(m): 10:18pm On Jun 29, 2010
^^^

We don't, it's simply that you're sick.

An Ngwa man who was born and bred in alaNgwa is not as paranoid as you are.
They are not as clannish as you that don't even know your kinsmen nor the roads in your village nor ever been initiated into a masquerade nor ever attended local village meetings nor ever attended the New Yam festivals should be shouting what you don't know.

Do you think that when you finally attend a village meeting that they will allow you to talk? . . . because you don't know how things are run in the village. Sorry.

You're sick, my friend!
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 10:19pm On Jun 29, 2010
Like I stated earlier, the Ika are small in number and are on the outskirts of our area. We also don't need them. So if they want to go, then let them. Will we die if they go?
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 10:22pm On Jun 29, 2010
Haha. . Nri child. You're the only one here shouting. Calm down and stop stressing yourself. My identity is Ngwa. Yours is "Igbo". It's all good. No need to lose your voice over it.

Anyway, the Ika can go if they want.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by abadaba(m): 10:35pm On Jun 29, 2010
ChinenyeN:

You all just don't cease to amaze me. Even you Abadaba.
I don't think you are a fool, but whats my opinion compared to that of thousands of other nairalanders.

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 10:45pm On Jun 29, 2010
Ok, I guess.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Abagworo(m): 10:52pm On Jun 29, 2010
agbotaen:

some ikas fought on biafra side , while some fought for nigerian army, like anuka became the biafran chief of navy, while some others ikas rose in rank in the nigerian army.

are you sure this is not same in the entire southeast and soutsouth?in my village(not clan or subgroup) we had both nigerian and biafran officers.i think same goes with the entire igboland.SABOTEURS are everywhere.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ezeagu(m): 11:52pm On Jun 29, 2010
006:

If I say I no tire, know say I dey lie. The whole thing tire me. Ngwa of all Ngwa!  lipsrsealed
Those that were born and bred in Ngwaland have never been this "aware". I wonder the origin of this, was it indoctrination or mere paranoia.

Paranoia? The Igbo groups have never truly been gelled, they've acknowledge ancestry/commonalities but it's not like they haven't had various wars, especially the Ngwa shocked grin. Diversity comes at a price in this case, even villages have wars. That's not even going into village divisions. . . . . . . and then families. grin

Abagworo:

are you sure this is not same in the entire southeast and soutsouth?in my village(not clan or subgroup) we had both nigerian and biafran officers.i think same goes with the entire igboland.SABOTEURS are everywhere.

I don't think so. Which village in Imo, Abia or, most especially Anambra (Enugu included) will they return to?
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by udezue(m): 11:52pm On Jun 29, 2010
For a guy who barely knows his way to
his family house in Ngwa land its quite funny and amazing how Chinenyen screams Ngwa ngwa till da break of dawn. Guy the average Ngwa will probably shake his head in disbelief. Like ogini ka I ma maka ngwa sef I ji eme isi kweke kweke?

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Abagworo(m): 12:25am On Jun 30, 2010
ezeagu:

Paranoia? The Igbo groups have never truly been gelled, they've acknowledge ancestry/commonalities but it's not like they haven't had various wars, especially the Ngwa shocked grin. Diversity comes at a price in this case, even villages have wars. That's not even going into village divisions. . . . . . . and then families. grin

I don't think so. Which village in Imo, Abia or, most especially Anambra (Enugu included) will they return to?

i cant mention names but most of the igbo high rank officers during military era consist mostly of those that were on the federal side.remember i didnt mention anyone oh.
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:35am On Jun 30, 2010
LOL (I'm not a fan of this expression, and so, I don't make good use of it. That is, unless I find something to be funny beyond measure). You all just don't cease to amaze me. You too Udezue. It's truly funny how you all make all of these assumptions about what I do and do not know, just because I said that I haven't visited there. One doesn't have to be there to know, especially in this day and age, but one has to be there to experience (which is something I've longed to do, for so long now, but that's beside the point).

This is even funnier to me because I've shared my knowledge of Ngwa several times on NL. So, I'm not ignorant of my people. But I guess, once one's feathers get ruffled beyond what one can handle, one makes unfounded statements. It's okay though. No Qualms over that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by franel79(m): 5:15pm On Oct 11, 2010
Join the Ika Community here, Ikaland.com and stop arguing about What you don't really understand.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by bashr4: 11:16pm On Dec 15, 2010
The Ika people are a subgroup of the Igbo people commonly called the Western Igbo. The Ika people number around 240,000.[1]The Ika people are found in north west Delta State. They share borders linguistically in the west with the Edo speakers, in the north with the Ishan speakers, in the East with the Anioma language speakers and in the south with the Ukwuani speakers.[2]
[edit]History

12 clans and a metropolis make up the Ika community
Agbor clan,
Owa clan,
Abavo clan,
Ute-Okpu clan,
Ute-Ogbeje clan
Umunede clan,
Akumazi clan,
Igbodo clan,
Otolokpo clan,
Mbiri clan,
Idumuesah clan
Orogodo/Boji-Boji[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ika_people

Agbor, also known as Agbor Boji Boji, is a town in Delta state, Nigeria. The indigenes of Agbor town are of Ika descent, an Igbo group with heavy Bini influence. Agbor was originally named Agbon a Bini word for "land", until the British anglicized it to Agbor.[1] The people of Agbor have traditionally relied on farming and fishing for their food and commerce. Its history is dominated by the many warriors it has produced. Agbor was once affiliated with the Benin Empire before the British conquered Benin, although the idea of Agbor being a colony of Benin is disputed.[2]
The traditional ruler of Agbor is known as Obi. The current Obi of Agbor is Benjamin Ikechuku, Keagborekuzi I who goes by Dein, the name of his ruling house,[3] instead of Obi.[4]
[edit]References

Ụkwụànì (sometimes spelled Ụkwànì) are an ethnic clan and a subgroup of the igbo people and live in Delta and Rivers states in Nigeria.

[edit]See also

1 Like

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Martmore: 3:41pm On Sep 30, 2011
cha cha cha cha igbo kwenu!!!, aaaahhh why all this heated argument.I recomend we all read about olaudah equiano an igbo slave who lived in the 18th century
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by agbotaen: 6:25pm On Apr 13, 2012
i bet wiki peadia is where most igbo baby historians cull their history , while we ika people know who we are ,and we are ika ethnic group, if you igbos like keep writing rubbish on most web page ,but when the chips are down ika people will deny you , it happen in 1967 ,when we rejected going along with igbos ,and in 1930 our elders stopped the igbo day celebration from taking place in ika land. and you can even see how our monarchs distance themselves from ohaneze ndigbo or igbo ethnic meetings .the fact remains that no complete ika person of ika ethnic nationality will say he is igbo. we know our history and no amount of majority forceful propaganda will make us igbo, moreover we know igbos are masters of lies and propaganda just like they did during the civil war,as we have seen how they try to reverse ika history , names , and language and turn it to igbo,
the culture , language and traditions of ika people are distinct from that of igbos.
your people are without kings ,and if not for the europeans who created warrant chiefs in igboland that later became kings ,
i am proud of my traditions and i am ika , we have never claimed to be bini, but we acknowledge that most of our founding fathers by their names and tradition came from benin, we also acknowledge that some later founders and settlers in ika were igbos and they left a mark in the culture .but who are we today we are ikas,i have mixed with igbos a lot and this has made me realise the uniqueness and difference of being an ika person as our world view is different from theirs ,and i have also moved with benin people and learnt many things too .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by rotile: 11:16am On Apr 18, 2012
does anyone have an idea of the general engagement requirement for an Edo lady getting married
Re: The Ika People{igbanke}. by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
bbb

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Christie Sells Nigerian Statues Of Igbo Deities That Were Looted / Ovie Richard Layeguen, Delta Monarch Who Reads Without Glasses / Policemen In Trouble, Offer Sacrifice For Arresting Spiritual Drummers In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.