Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,795 members, 7,798,686 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) (5924 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. / Atheism Is A Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by UyiIredia(m): 6:59pm On Jan 13, 2011
More than a few (expected) negative reactions trailed my earlier castigation - Atheism Is A Religion . I recall that I said [insert quote] I also recall that (naturally) the topic forked into a deliberation on nuances and dittoes of Science & Religion. The following points are targeted at addressing noteworthy points raised whilst polishing earlier arguments (when I talk of atheism I refer to 'militant/New atheism', the kind popularised by the outspoken Prof. Richard Dawkins)

• Whilst it would be abominable to corner Atheism into the class of religions given a rigid application of the term religion. I understand that elements of common beliefs, practices and bits that collectively characterise atheists give it the semblance of a religion one which will evolve given time. I believe that the trend of this evolution will be coursed by scientific developments.

"Man is nothing else than an eternal maker of divinity, where every sentiment he has becomes a possible saint or angel, prophet or demon, depending on the changes that sentiment undergoes." 

Sorin Cerin

•When you describe Atheism as a lack of belief in God/god(s), routinely using the pretext that the definition 'belief in no God' applies to polytheists, you err and necessarily deceive a simpleton. A lack of belief underlines a suspended conclusion based on little or no comprehension whatsoever on a topic. It expressly displays passivity on a given issue. These two aspects of the term 'lack of belief' do not apply to Atheism. I, personally, use the term 'non-theists' for such persons. 

"You do not prove (nor explicate) a non-belief"

Uyi Iredia

• My reckoning of Atheism as religion without consideration of Theism holds because I understand that Atheism has evolved into a position that affects the lifestyle of adherents.   
It has (generally) assumed the capacity of the appellation for a person who supposes that no God exists. Theism,  on the other hand, is predicated on the notion of God which has extensive variances; it assuredly develops multiple conclusions expressed as the different religions which adorn it. Simply put, Theism is not a religion because of the variegated notions of God. The ante to this, naturally, is Atheism which has a relatively consonant notion (i.e that the concept of God is false). I hypothesise that if the notion of God were uniform across board Theism will tend to religion.

"Faith means belief in something concerning which doubt is theoretically possible." 

William James

• This part of my argument is one that I am wont to emphasise in any religious/irreligious debate. This is the application of faith as regards religions and Atheism. To clear the air I needs venture with the meaning of faith (as I understand it) in this context- a meaning that incidentally coincides mazaje's

Faith is a firm belief in things for which there is no proof.

For one to actively affirm that there is no God, or for that matter affects to define his/her stance as a mere 'lack of belief', one inevitably has a (falsifiable) premise on which this affirmation (or 'lack of belief') is founded. When I reckon faith with Atheism, it is my way of proposing that Atheism is a stance devoid of meaning because it has nothing to prove. This  
(i.e having nothing to prove) appears to favour Atheists since it is typically agreed, amongst their lot, that Theists are the one making a claim. 

Ladies and gentlemen, Are atheists not also making a claim as regards the notion of God? If so, what substantiates this claim? If not, what do they have to profer at the roundtable?

It so happens that the notion of God can be generally defined (as is aptly done in various dictionaries); consequently a 'lack of belief' whatsoever in God is certainly based on ample proof. If not it is an empty faith. Better yet, there would be no reason for religionists to accuse the atheist of having faith. I end is by endearing atheists to accept the aptest definition of Atheism:

Atheism is the belief that there is no God/god(s)
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by UyiIredia(m): 7:29pm On Jan 14, 2011
no response yet
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by UyiIredia(m): 6:36pm On Feb 13, 2011
thehomer >>> I await your response to this
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by UyiIredia(m): 12:28pm On Feb 14, 2011
still waiting
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by UyiIredia(m): 1:51pm On Apr 22, 2011
Deep Sight, I await your reply here
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by DeepSight(m): 1:55pm On Apr 22, 2011
What do you really what me to say? You know I dont agree that Atheism is a religion.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by rufflychux(m): 2:33pm On Apr 22, 2011
Atheism is NOT a religion. Atheism is a belief devoid of any hope at all.
Atheism does NOT promise anything to anyone after death, infact it does
NOT even believe in life after death.
Atheism is the DEPRESSING BLACK HOLE that SUCKS RELIGIOUS HOPE FROM PEOPLE'S HEARTS.
There is NOTHING atheists look forward to. They believe we decay in the grave after death.
Physics says "Matter can NEVER be created or destroyed." We know that is a LIE because
we have matter around us in sheer ABUNDANCE. Created beings can NOT create matter,
ONLY The Almighty can create and destroy matter.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by rufflychux(m): 2:45pm On Apr 22, 2011
Atheism belives in "the theory of evolution". I personally liken the theory of evolution
to a blind man with brain damage riding a UNIicycle. They say if you give him enough
"time" he would make his way to the USA from Nigeria and back 10 times.
But here is where the problem lies: The man is BLIND and he has BRAIN DAMAGE.
How is he even going to be able to "ride" the unicycle?

1. He can NOT see.
2. He has brain damage.
3. He can NOT ride a unicycle to the USA.

The theory of evolution is simply UTTER BULLCRAP.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:52pm On Apr 22, 2011
Religion by definition : A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Atheist by definition : atheist  is one who[i] denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings. [/i]

Atheist, agnostic, infidel, skeptic  refer to persons not inclined toward religious belief or a particular form of religious belief. An atheist  is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings. An agnostic  is one who believes it impossible to know anything about God or about the creation of the universe and refrains from commitment to any religious doctrine. Infidel  means an unbeliever, especially a nonbeliever in Islam or Christianity. A skeptic  doubts and is critical of all accepted doctrines and creeds.

Source: dictionary.com

If we are to go by this, a "Believer's Universe" is anchored solely on his Religious beliefs  - everything outside religion is subsumed into this universe as secondary evidence supporting the tenets of the religion e.g God+Science

an atheist on the other hand does not lack belief but simply does not accept the belief  in religion
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by rufflychux(m): 2:54pm On Apr 22, 2011
Uyi Iredia, you better go to a different website and try to deceive the people there.
Go to a different forum and tell them that there is no God because you will NOT win in this forum.

If you weren't so BLIND you'd see that God left His fingerprint on everything. Do you even know
how COMPLEX a cell is? Cells act like they were programmed. Different cells all behave as if they
were programmed. How do programmed cells lead to a creature that is NOT programmed?
The "programmer" was God Himself. Every single cell has a duty and a function.
Even down to our very own DNA strands we see the fingerprint of a creation. God created us and
everything in us and everything made of matter. QED. Take it or continue to reject it, but just know
that there will be a consequence one day.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by rufflychux(m): 3:04pm On Apr 22, 2011
I am going to relate the theory of evolution to several things:
1. A blind man with brain damage riding a UNICYCLE to the USA.
2. A 100% CRAZY and INSANE MAN who is 100% silly trying to do Calculus.
The evolutionists say just let him make enough mistakes and he will eventually get the right answer.
3. Being DRUNK and BLIND and trying to stand on your pinkie finger for 1 year.

The evolutionists say give him enough time and he will make it.
Enough time Enough time Enough time, how much time is enough?

Why won't you people just admit it yourselves that you do NOT know a damn thing?
You use "BILLIONS OF YEARS" as your cover up and hide behind it.

ETC.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by rufflychux(m): 3:20pm On Apr 22, 2011
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by Nobody: 6:50pm On Apr 22, 2011
rufflychux:

I am going to relate the theory of evolution to several things:
1. A blind man with brain damage riding a UNICYCLE to the USA.
2. A 100% CRAZY and INSANE MAN who is 100% silly trying to do Calculus.
The evolutionists say just let him make enough mistakes and he will eventually get the right answer.
3. Being DRUNK and BLIND and trying to stand on your pinkie finger for 1 year.

The evolutionists say give him enough time and he will make it.
Enough time Enough time Enough time, how much time is enough?

Why won't you people just admit it yourselves that you do NOT know a damn thing?
You use "BILLIONS OF YEARS" as your cover up and hide behind it.

ETC.

looks to me you are relating from personal experience. the angst is just too vile wink
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 22, 2011
@poster I agree.

Religion pertains to both beliefs and ideas that ppl have in common. Deity or no deity it's all the same,
if i believe that God is just a >>> " cheesy"smiley for example and you believed the same as well as others once we put a name to it, it becomes a
religion.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by thehomer: 8:31pm On Apr 22, 2011
rufflychux:

Atheism is NOT a religion. Atheism is a belief devoid of any hope at all.
Atheism does NOT promise anything to anyone after death, infact it does
NOT even believe in life after death.
Atheism is the DEPRESSING BLACK HOLE that SUCKS RELIGIOUS HOPE FROM PEOPLE'S HEARTS.
There is NOTHING atheists look forward to. They believe we decay in the grave after death.

No. This sounds like nihilism which is quite different from atheism. You may wish to look up atheism in a dictionary.

rufflychux:

Physics says "Matter can NEVER be created or destroyed." We know that is a LIE because
we have matter around us in sheer ABUNDANCE. Created beings can NOT create matter,
ONLY The Almighty can create and destroy matter.

Actually, the aphorism is about energy and even that is not complete. It goes, "Energy cannot be created or destroyed but can be converted from one form to another." That is the first law of thermodynamics.
Did this almighty get tired of creating and destroying energy?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by thehomer: 8:33pm On Apr 22, 2011
rufflychux:

Atheism belives in "the theory of evolution". I personally liken the theory of evolution
to a blind man with brain damage riding a UNIicycle. They say if you give him enough
"time" he would make his way to the USA from Nigeria and back 10 times.
But here is where the problem lies: The man is BLIND and he has BRAIN DAMAGE.
How is he even going to be able to "ride" the unicycle?

1. He can NOT see.
2. He has brain damage.
3. He can NOT ride a unicycle to the USA.

The theory of evolution is simply UTTER BULLCRAP.

What do you understand the theory of evolution to be?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by rufflychux(m): 2:47am On Apr 23, 2011
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism
The above website defines atheism as

2. REJECTION of ALL distinctions in MORAL or RELIGIOUS value and a willingness to REPUDIATE all previous theories of morality or religious belief.

In the above definition of atheism, it is apparent that it is so DEPRESSING.
I honestly do NOT get atheists, why spend so much time to DIS-prove God? What has He done to you?
He did us all a favor by giving us life and consciousness and freewill, yet atheists still reject Him to His face.
You are in Nigeria, research Rev. Father Mbaka and all his miracles.
Believe it or NOT, God exists and one day, we will all give an account to what we spent our lives doing.

I still HOLD TIGHTLY on that law of Physics which says that "matter (atoms) can NOT be created and can NOT be destroyed".
Look around you, what do you see? You have atoms everywhere showing a Creator. But you also have
atoms intricately designed, having a mass and physical and chemical property.
Dig deeper in Quantum Mechanics, and you will realize that atoms are NOT what they appear to be.
They are NOT solids, instead, they are simply "WAVES" like any other waves like "light wave" or "radio waves".

If matter is a wave like light, try to EAT THE LIGHT THAT SHINES OFF YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN.
Try your best to eat it and digest it. This is NOT a silly request at all, because light is made up of "PHotons".
Try to measure the following:

*** The weight of light. Measure what light weighs in kg.

I have an even better idea. Pic up a piece of paper and tear it in half,
Keep one half and tear the other half in two,
Keep one half from the ^ above and tear the other one in yet another half.

Keep tearing the halves of the paper until it is completely destroyed. You can also "BURN" the piece of paper.

Inshort, just make the paper COMPLETELY DISAPPEAR FROM EXISTENCE.

You have the laws of Physics intricately perfect in every sense. You have the laws of Physics and Mathematics described by formulas.

And you DARE to tell me that it is simply coincedence? You want me to close my eyes with you and climb down mount klimanjero while blind folded
simply because "there is a probability I will NOT fall"?. Sigh, you guys have GUTS honestly.

If humans were just cells like amoeba, that is OK. Amoeba's can NOT question their own existence because they are NOT sentient.
Dog's are sentient but they are NOT extremely intelligent.
Then we have humans, not only are we sentient, but we are intelligent too. We create stuffs,
There is a verse in Genesis of The Bible that says "God created Humans in His own image and likeness". It all makes sense because:

1. We humans also create stuff.
2. We humans are intelligent as God is described to be.

You can spend your lifetime trying to disprove the existence of God but one day you will have to answer to Him.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 23, 2011
rufflychux:

2. REJECTION of ALL distinctions in MORAL or RELIGIOUS value and a willingness to REPUDIATE all previous theories of morality or religious belief.

I honestly do NOT get atheists, why spend so much time to DIS-prove God? What has He done to you?
He did us all a favor by giving us life and consciousness and freewill, yet atheists still reject Him to His face.
Believe it or NOT, God exists and one day, we will all give an account to what we spent our lives doing.

I still HOLD TIGHTLY on that law of Physics which says that "matter (atoms) can NOT be created and can NOT be destroyed".
Look around you, what do you see? You have atoms everywhere showing a Creator. But you also have
Dig deeper in Quantum Mechanics, and you will realize that atoms are NOT what they appear to be.
They are NOT solids, instead, they are simply "WAVES" like any other waves like "light wave" or "radio waves".

If matter is a wave like light, try to EAT THE LIGHT THAT SHINES OFF YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN.
Try your best to eat it and digest it. This is NOT a silly request at all, because light is made up of "PHotons".

Keep tearing the halves of the paper until it is completely destroyed. You can also "BURN" the piece of paper.

You have the laws of Physics intricately perfect in every sense. You have the laws of Physics and Mathematics described by formulas.

And you DARE to tell me that it is simply coincedence? You want me to close my eyes with you and climb down mount klimanjero while blind folded
simply because "there is a probability I will NOT fall"?. Sigh, you guys have GUTS honestly.

If humans were just cells like amoeba, that is OK. Amoeba's can NOT question their own existence because they are NOT sentient.
Then we have humans, not only are we sentient, but we are intelligent too. We create stuffs,
There is a verse in Genesis of The Bible that says "God created Humans in His own image and likeness". It all makes sense because:

You can spend your lifetime trying to disprove the existence of God but one day you will have to answer to Him.

Lol, after reading this, I'm convinced that your god is definitely real.
Someone please call 911, it seems one flew over the cuckoo's nest.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by rufflychux(m): 3:57pm On Apr 23, 2011
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by UyiIredia(m): 7:41pm On Apr 23, 2011
@ thehomer

I can only go so far with you on arguing for the existence of God >>> expect my replies to the former threads we were discussing on >>> after that its essays all the way >>> however, I hope there's no ill-will between us >>> whatever is done in a debate stays in a debate >>> I also thank you because I did gain something worthwhile from your criticisms >>> adios !!!

@ Deep Sight

okay >>> at least I forwarded something for you to dwell on >>> U are definitely a deist

@ rufflyclux

you talk too much !!! undecided lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by thehomer: 11:14pm On Apr 23, 2011
Wow what a shotgun approach to attempt to see what will stick. You've really not said anything in particular.

rufflychux:

Where did you get the definition you quoted above? These are the two definitions on the page you linked to.
Dictionary reference.com]
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no god.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
[/quote]

[quote author=rufflychux:

Sorry but I'm yet to see anything depressing about the above actual definitions. Atheists do not try to disprove God but simply do not believe in your God and many of them give you their reasons for not believing in it.
You're online why don't you research Sathya Sai Baba and all his miracles. I'm sure you'll find him convincing especially since he is currently alive and has lots of followers. Sitting around claiming without presenting evidence that God exists is simply not good enough. It's no better than simply sitting around and claiming that leprechauns exist and if we do not keep searching for their pot of gold, we are losing out on lots of money.

rufflychux:

Which law of physics says matter cannot be created nor destroyed? I just corrected you that the aphorism was in reference to energy.
I see you go for the design argument. I still do not see how you go from "atoms abound" to "therefore God". That to me lies the way to anything being evidence of anything else.
I hope you realize that a object such as an electron acts as both a wave and a particle? i.e it is not like other macroscopic objects with which you're familiar.

rufflychux:

The above makes no sense. Do you think that it is all matter that you can eat and digest?

rufflychux:

What do the above have to do with anything I said previously?
I'll ask you again, what do you understand the theory of evolution to be?
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by thehomer: 11:20pm On Apr 23, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

@ thehomer

I can only go so far with you on arguing for the existence of God >>> expect my replies to the former threads we were discussing on >>> after that its essays all the way >>> however, I hope there's no ill-will between us >>> whatever is done in a debate stays in a debate >>> I also thank you because I did gain something worthwhile from your criticisms >>> adios !!!
. . . .

Ok.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by Nobody: 12:56am On Apr 24, 2011
rufflychux:

You seem to have some misunderstandings about the principles behind the Conservation of Matter & Energy and the theory behind Wave-Particle duality. It is the energy/momentum of a particle/system that must be conserved not the form. In certain instances particles such as light can only be explained using a particle framework (Quantum Mechanics) while others it can only be explained using a wave framework (wave mechanics).

Phenomenon such as diffraction(which can occur for all particles including light), can only be explained utilizing a framework that treats light/matter as a wave. However, the photo-electric effect can only be explained utilizing a particle model of light/matter. Indeed, absorption of light by your skin or stomach would fall under the particle models regime. Other phenomenon such as Stimulated Emission (Laser's) are a mix of both wave and particle models.

Repeatedly asserting design is not a form of evidence. If you have evidence that shows that the system could not come about otherwise then please present it. Otherwise, you are just making empty assertions.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by rufflychux(m): 5:18am On Apr 24, 2011
Here is a picture of a DNA http://3.bp..com/_ZkSSURCm3FI/TQ3jNCZ4t2I/AAAAAAAALTw/ZqzqK42okU0/s400/01-coll-dna-knoll-l.jpg

Here is a picture of how DNA is transported through the cell http://www.nano-lifescience.com/images/dna-transport.gif

Here is a picture of the human genes http://ls.berkeley.edu/files/image/News%20photos/human-genome.jpeg

Here is a picture of the brain cells http://topnews.in/health/files/Brain-cells_0.jpg

White blood cells that fight infections and diseases http://thenextweb.com/shareables/files/2011/02/red_and_white_blood_cell_and_p.jpg

Red blood cells that carry oxygen to different parts of the body http://topnews.in/health/files/red_blood_cells.jpg

The eyes http://www.topnews.in/files/Eye-Cells.jpg

RNA http://www.dnassequencing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/RNA.jpg

Here is a picture of the heart http://www.worldinvisible.com/images/apolog/body/heart02a.gif

Taste buds http://wikis.lib.ncsu.edu/images/6/64/Gustatory.gif

Here is a picture of the brain http://www.brainhealthandpuzzles.com/images/labeled_diagram_human_brain.jpg

Here is saliva under a microscope http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/quekett/Reports/Saliva.jpg

Here is a picture of a sperm cell for reproduction http://www.3dscience.com/img/Products/3D_Models/Biology/Cells/Sperm_Egg/3d_human_reproductive_cells_web01.jpg

Here is the ovaries or female eggs http://iahealth.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/ovaries.jpg

Here is hair under microscope http://www.naturalhairgrows.com/images/Microscope-hair.jpg

Here is the picture of an atom http://sciencespot.net/Media/atom2.jpg

Here is a picture of a quark http://www.jlab.org/news/articles/2004/nucleus1.jpg

Here is a picture of a blood plateletes http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/Red_White_Blood_cells.jpg

Here is a picture of the human skeleton http://biology.clc.uc.edu/graphics/bio105/skeleton.jpg

The human digestive system http://mset.rst2.edu/portfolios/k/khanna_n/toolsvis/ei_0132.gif

Spinal chord http://www.indiatalkies.com/images/spinal-cord-injury42720g.jpg

Ear drums http://images.emedicinehealth.com/images/eMedicineHealth/illustrations/ear_cutaway.jpg

Mitochondria http://mitochondria.economdeespana.com/gallery/mitochondria.jpg

And SO MANY MORE OTHERS. Each of these tiny cells are themselves made up of even tinier parts.

I am going to stop there and let you wonder for a while. Ponder about it, Think about it for a while.

Of course I could keep on going but I am going to stop there. I leave it to you to think about it.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by thehomer: 3:53pm On Apr 24, 2011
rufflychux:

Here is a picture of a DNA http://3.bp..com/_ZkSSURCm3FI/TQ3jNCZ4t2I/AAAAAAAALTw/ZqzqK42okU0/s400/01-coll-dna-knoll-l.jpg

Here is a picture of how DNA is transported through the cell http://www.nano-lifescience.com/images/dna-transport.gif

Here is a picture of the human genes http://ls.berkeley.edu/files/image/News%20photos/human-genome.jpeg

Here is a picture of the brain cells http://topnews.in/health/files/Brain-cells_0.jpg

White blood cells that fight infections and diseases http://thenextweb.com/shareables/files/2011/02/red_and_white_blood_cell_and_p.jpg

Red blood cells that carry oxygen to different parts of the body http://topnews.in/health/files/red_blood_cells.jpg

The eyes http://www.topnews.in/files/Eye-Cells.jpg

RNA http://www.dnassequencing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/RNA.jpg

Here is a picture of the heart http://www.worldinvisible.com/images/apolog/body/heart02a.gif

Taste buds http://wikis.lib.ncsu.edu/images/6/64/Gustatory.gif

Here is a picture of the brain http://www.brainhealthandpuzzles.com/images/labeled_diagram_human_brain.jpg

Here is saliva under a microscope http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/quekett/Reports/Saliva.jpg

Here is a picture of a sperm cell for reproduction http://www.3dscience.com/img/Products/3D_Models/Biology/Cells/Sperm_Egg/3d_human_reproductive_cells_web01.jpg

Here is the ovaries or female eggs http://iahealth.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/ovaries.jpg

Here is hair under microscope http://www.naturalhairgrows.com/images/Microscope-hair.jpg

Here is the picture of an atom http://sciencespot.net/Media/atom2.jpg

Here is a picture of a quark http://www.jlab.org/news/articles/2004/nucleus1.jpg

Here is a picture of a blood plateletes http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/Red_White_Blood_cells.jpg

Here is a picture of the human skeleton http://biology.clc.uc.edu/graphics/bio105/skeleton.jpg

The human digestive system http://mset.rst2.edu/portfolios/k/khanna_n/toolsvis/ei_0132.gif

Spinal chord http://www.indiatalkies.com/images/spinal-cord-injury42720g.jpg

Ear drums http://images.emedicinehealth.com/images/eMedicineHealth/illustrations/ear_cutaway.jpg

Mitochondria http://mitochondria.economdeespana.com/gallery/mitochondria.jpg

And SO MANY MORE OTHERS. Each of these tiny cells are themselves made up of even tinier parts.

I am going to stop there and let you wonder for a while. Ponder about it, Think about it for a while.

Of course I could keep on going but I am going to stop there. I leave it to you to think about it.

What do all these pictures mean? You still haven't answered the simple questions I asked.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 24, 2011
@rufflychux
While all the systems you pointed out are complex, they are also self replicating and self sustaining. Furthermore, we can conceive(not to mention study) the ways they come about without referencing a "designer". If you are truly interested in these subject matters then please take the time to read through the scientific literature, and find any evidence/suggestion of intelligent design(Nature,Science Journals, etc.). Please do not just use some random website you find either. Afterwards present your findings to us.

I have spent much of my life studying/examining nature, so I do not need to be told how complex it is. However, so far all phenomenon have been explainable within a scientific/mathematical framework. No intelligent, infinitely more complex being was ever needed in the history of all science/mathematics. Your extraordinary claim is going to require extraordinary evidence beyond just pointing at the trees and proclaiming they are acts of God.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by rufflychux(m): 6:40pm On Apr 24, 2011
The pictures are the fingerprints of the Designer.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by KAG: 7:06pm On Apr 24, 2011
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I'll type it again, just in case it hasn't: atheism is no more a religion than theism. They both describe positions. However, there are atheistic religions and religious atheists. Think humanism (the religion) and atheistic Buddhism for examples. So there's a big difference that isn't even nuanced in saying there are religious atheists and atheism is a religion.

Uyi Iredia:

Uyi Iredia

• My reckoning of Atheism as religion without consideration of Theism holds because I understand that Atheism has evolved into a position that affects the lifestyle of adherents.

Like theism. It doesn't make theism - no indeed atheism - a religion.

It has (generally) assumed the capacity of the appellation for a person who supposes that no God exists. Theism,  on the other hand, is predicated on the notion of God which has extensive variances; it assuredly develops multiple conclusions expressed as the different religions which adorn it. Simply put, Theism is not a religion because of the variegated notions of God. The ante to this, naturally, is Atheism which has a relatively consonant notion (i.e that the concept of God is false). I hypothesise that if the notion of God were uniform across board Theism will tend to religion.

Nonsense. As descriptors, atheism and theism are no different. Theism is simply a belief in the existence of at least one god. Any variation from that simple description is no different from that found in atheism and is informed by the inclination to religion that, in this instance, is theistic.

Finally, your hypothesis is wrong and built on a flimsy premise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Incidentally, let's for one moment assume that you are in fact right and atheism is a religion. What then? It has neither unravelled the thorny issue of the gods being largely absent except in the recitations of faithful theists. More, it is neither evidence for gods nor does it encourage atheists to believe gods exist.

So, what then if as you argue atheism is a religion? To what does the argument lead? Idealogy is still ideology and people still disbedisbelieve
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by thehomer: 8:51pm On Apr 24, 2011
rufflychux:

The pictures are the fingerprints of the Designer.

And how did you arrive at this conclusion? Keep in mind that there are no pictures of quarks. What you do have are artists renditions of the underlying theories.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by zataxs: 12:34am On Apr 25, 2011
What is atheism?

@KAG, You can be an avid football fan. But not everyone likes football. If someone else does not a fan of soccer is it right to say she a type of of football fan who does not like soccer?
She is simply *not* a fan.

It is important to remember that being an atheist does not mean you *believe* in evolution. it does not mean you believe in the big bang or that you believe that you must arrive an conclusions based on empirical evidence. No, it simply mean you are an not a christian, muslim, buddhist, or follower of any other religion.

Actually, the right of thinking about it, is that everyone is an atheist to a god or certain gods. You don't believe in Ra, or Zeus, so,
"We are all atheists about most of the gods humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." – Richard Dawkins

@rufflychux as @thehomer has stated complexity of cells, means precisely that - they are complex. The complexity in itself does not provide evidence about anything.
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:46am On Apr 25, 2011
Martian:

Lol, after reading this, I'm convinced that your god is definitely real.
Someone please call 911, it seems one flew over the cuckoo's nest.

Jack Nicholson at his sublime best wink
Re: Atheism Is A Religion (Part II) by UyiIredia(m): 3:58pm On Apr 25, 2011
KAG:

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I'll type it again, just in case it hasn't: atheism is no more a religion than theism. They both describe positions. However, there are atheistic religions and religious atheists. Think humanism (the religion) and atheistic Buddhism for examples. So there's a big difference that isn't even nuanced in saying there are religious atheists and atheism is a religion.

Like theism. It doesn't make theism - no indeed atheism - a religion.

Nonsense. As descriptors, atheism and theism are no different. Theism is simply a belief in the existence of at least one god. Any variation from that simple description is no different from that found in atheism and is informed by the inclination to religion that, in this instance, is theistic.

Finally, your hypothesis is wrong and built on a flimsy premise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Incidentally, let's for one moment assume that you are in fact right and atheism is a religion. What then? It has neither unravelled the thorny issue of the gods being largely absent except in the recitations of faithful theists. More, it is neither evidence for gods nor does it encourage atheists to believe gods exist.

So, what then if as you argue atheism is a religion? To what does the argument lead? Idealogy is still ideology and people still disbedisbelieve

then materialistism and a worldview that is hinged on the fringes of science and technology (i.e it appeals to science as it's adjudicate) >>> you did not deal comprehensively with my essay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When Was The Last Time You Gave Alms To The Needy? / The Photo Of The Bleeding Statue Of Jesus Christ In Warri / Can A Born Again Christian Marry More Than One Wife?.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.