Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,788 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria (3429 Views)

Longest Flyover In West Africa (kano state), Named After OBASANJO- Pictures / Is This The Man Being Positioned To Head Interim Government? / Yardua's Wants To Keep It In The Family -Yuguda Positioned To VP Now& President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jan 14, 2011

With its political stability, economic liberalism, abundant natural resources, highly motivated work force and infrastructure improvements, Ghana is positioned to become West Africa’s premier gateway country. A recent spell of growth has propelled Ghana into one of the three strongest economic policy performers among low-income African countries.

Ghana’s natural resource driven economy is the third largest in West Africa. It is the second largest exporter of lumber and gold on the continent, and the second largest exporter of cocoa worldwide. Ghana also enjoys ample mineral deposits of diamonds, bauxite, manganese and salt. Ghanaians have also established a number of value-added industries including automobile, bus and truck assembly, textile and tyre manufacturing, flour and steel milling as well as the production of various consumer goods. The recent discovery of oil promises further progress.

GCC can also confirm that Ghana is a country on the rise given that we have witnessed a huge increase in the number of companies recruiting for their operations there. MTN, Tigo and Vodafone, three leading telecom operators, will be present in the Careers in Africa Recruitment Summit in London on 28 – 30 May 2010. Other companies recruiting for Ghana include Barclays, PwC, ECOWAS, Dow Chemicals and Wärtsilä. The number of Ghanaians in the Diaspora also looking for career opportunities back home has increased significantly and is a testament to this economic growth. Angela is one such professional; “Thank you for the opportunity to attend the London Summit. After multiple interviews with different companies, I am now back home working Vodafone Ghana.”

http://www.careersinafrica.com/email/1008/focus_on_ghana.html
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 1:39pm On Jan 14, 2011
Cry for what.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 14, 2011
afam4eva:

Cry for what.

Cry because ,almost all nations of interest worldwide have concluded that Nigeria has failed, is not stable for business ,and therefore have diverted their investments away to previously less significant countries like Ghana.

If that does not make you cry , I do not know what will undecided

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by blacksta(m): 2:00pm On Jan 14, 2011
frosbel:

Cry because ,almost all nations of interest worldwide have concluded that Nigeria has failed, is not stable for business ,and therefore have diverted their investments away to previously less significant countries like Ghana.

If that does not make you cry , I do not know what will  undecided

What do expect from a nation that celebrates 12hours of internal democracy out of a possible 11 years of Misrule.  It will be insanity to expect any logical reasoning because their facility of reasoning is beclouded by abnormalities.  While the bulk of the world is progressing Nigeria is in a state of retrogression  and it is called advancing at least we are moving and it is inconsequential whether it is forward or backward says the abnormal minded Nigerian.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by deor03(m): 3:28pm On Jan 14, 2011
I guess most of the people that post about "Ghana this, Ghana that" need to visit Ghana.

It is a developing small country, that is always over hyped.

No investor will compare Nigeria and Ghana.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by meine: 3:36pm On Jan 14, 2011
@OBSESSED Poster

I should Cry for what? Na u and your generation go take cry do profession angry angry angry angry,

I dont understand this obsession with GHANA this GHANA that

I just got back from your overhyped country few weeks back, but i dont wanna raise any issues here okk cos your pple didnt offend me

But stop posting rubbish Ghana obsession thread here
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Akhenaten: 3:39pm On Jan 14, 2011
Why should we cry?

If you want change in Nigeria, then do something about it.

Maybe if you lose your tribalistic views OP, maybe Nigeria can change.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 14, 2011
Akhenaten:

Why should we cry?

If you want change in Nigeria, then do something about it.

Maybe if you lose your tribalistic views OP, maybe Nigeria can change.

misplaced aggression
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Ikengawo: 6:15pm On Jan 14, 2011
why cry though?
why is the success of ghana a 'bad' thing for nigeria? Props to ghana for doing well, we will do well as well in the future as were are currently doing now.

it's just nigerians are dramatic and have low IQs, so it's hard to have an honest discussion about our own countries successes because most people the ppl on here haven't been to nigeria is 1983 and still think biafra is a relevant cause.

Nigeria and Ghana are both doing well, Ghana is doing VERY well and will be gaining more momentum in the near future. I dont know why this is a 'bad' thing for Nigeria, any african country doing well is good for all of us.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by ekubear1: 6:28pm On Jan 14, 2011
Trying to figure out how much of this is hype versus fiction.

What is the banking sector like in Ghana?

Is there 24/7 power supply?

Cost of labor when hiring employees?

Government regulation?

Friendliness to foreigners who want to invest?

Projected future economic growth rate?

Their current GDP/capita is pretty low iirc (even compared to Nigeria), so I've always thought it was more hype than actual substance. I could easily be wrong though.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 14, 2011
There is over a million reasons to cry abt dis development, so unfortunate & some of us as usual will start ranting thinking dats patrotism by refusing to accept d realities basically stairing at us
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Missy85(f): 6:48pm On Jan 14, 2011
this is not about whether Ghana has 24/7 electricy or is more developed than nigeria.

it is about didscipline in policy initiatives, investment environment, social order, respect for the rule of law, political stability etc. On each of these accounts, Ghana is better placed than nigeria.

Ghana is not perfect, or probably as developed as nigeria presently, but by most indices, it is set to attain midlle-income country status before nigeria.

Nigeria has unrivaled POTENTIAL, but we also face endemic structural political, economic, social, and, now religious problems, which will hold us back unless we tackle them head-on. There's currently no evidence that we are dealing, or able to deal with these problems.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Ikengawo: 7:04pm On Jan 14, 2011
no evidence?

this is why nigerians can't talk to each other, too many of us can't try to make a point without dramatic overdone blanket statements.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Akhenaten: 7:08pm On Jan 14, 2011
I cannot speak for the rest of Ghana, but in Accra, the electrical grid is pretty stable in that town. More stable than most areas in Nigeria to say the least.

And I don't know why people like comparing Ghana to Nigeria.

I am happy Ghana is doing well.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Missy85(f): 7:23pm On Jan 14, 2011
@Ikeangwo, pls we are all here to be educated. Pls can you list the evidence to show we are effectively dealing with our problems, such as:

-LONG TERM Political instability
-LONG TERM Economic mismanagent: poor policy initiation & implementation; poor budget mgt; inchorent macro economic policies etc
- LONG TERM Massive corruption
-Religious riots 
- LONG TERM infrastructural problems

Just some examples. We've had some of these probs for over 30yrs and they are not getting better.

I'm certainly not bashing nigeria, but rather, want us to acknowledge we have some serious problems which we need to tackle with zeal. Pls leave Ghana out of the picture so the debate is not distorted.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 14, 2011
I would like for any African country to be among the top 20 in the world. If Nigeria is not equal to the task & Ghana does it, i'll be very pleased. The kind of comments some NLders post here will make other Africans see us in bad contempt
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Mariory(m): 7:59pm On Jan 14, 2011
frosbel:

Sorry but, this is pure and utter rubbish! Nigeria remains the biggest destination of FDIs in West Africa and one of the biggest in the whole of Africa second only to South Africa. In the Oil sector alone, Nigeria blows away all countries in West Africa and most countries in Africa in total FDI inflows. And that's only the oil sector. How on earth did you arrive at that statement you made?
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by savanaha: 8:08pm On Jan 14, 2011
This poster makes Ghana appear as a country with many people of low self-esteem and superiority complex.
If Ghana is progressing excellent but do you as a Ghanaian feel so inferior to Nigeria that you must come and brag about accomplishment in a Nigerian forum. Now that Nigerians are not crying are you,  frosbel, going to die.
I hope Ghana eventually becomes a 2nd or 1st world country and even if it does I still will be too busy with my life to cry over the achievement of another country.

[size=16pt]superiority complex[/size]
POPULARLY a feeling of superiority or exaggerated self-importance, often accompanied by excessive aggressiveness, arrogance, etc. which are compensation for feelings of inferiority

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 14, 2011
Mariory:

Sorry but, this is pure and utter rubbish! Nigeria remains the biggest destination of FDIs in West Africa and one of the biggest in the whole of Africa second only to South Africa. In the Oil sector alone, Nigeria blows away all countries in West Africa and most countries in Africa in total FDI inflows. And that's only the oil sector. How on earth did you arrive at that statement you made?

So your reliance is on OIL, OIL, OIL  

With all the OIL, no jobs, no roads, no stable power etc etc etc.

Oh, and by the way, what happens when the OIL finishes ?
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jan 14, 2011
savanaha:

This poster makes Ghana appear as a country with many people of low self-esteem and superiority complex.
If Ghana is progressing excellent but do you as a Ghanaian feel so inferior to Nigeria that you must come and brag about accomplishment in a Nigerian forum. Now that Nigerians are not crying are you,  frosbel, going to die.
I hope Ghana eventually becomes a 2nd or 1st world country and even if it does I still will be too busy with my life to cry over the achievement of another country.

[size=16pt]superiority complex[/size]
POPULARLY a feeling of superiority or exaggerated self-importance, often accompanied by excessive aggressiveness, arrogance, etc. which are compensation for feelings of inferiority

You must be a 'Johnny just come on Nairaland ', I am Nigerian young man, grin
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Mariory(m): 8:13pm On Jan 14, 2011
frosbel:

So your reliance is on OIL, OIL, OIL  

With all the OIL, no jobs, no roads, no stable power etc etc etc.

Oh, and by the way, what happens when the OIL finishes ?

Did you read my comment? Here is my quote. I will help you out by including emphasis this time. Please try again.
Mariory:

Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by savanaha: 8:15pm On Jan 14, 2011
frosbel:

You must be a 'Johnny just come on Nairaland ', I am Nigerian young man,  grin

Sorry for your inferiority complex bro. Instead of crying because of why don't you do something useful. Or are you so helpless that you are reduced to tears like a baby.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 14, 2011
embarassed embarassed

Maybe when Ghana starts to progress beyond measure

maybe Nigerians would wake up.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 11, 2013
you nigerians need to stop da negativity and dat idea of beign in competition wid ghana.it is good.dat decides.not.humans n u lot need to put things.straight in ur country includin.hatred between igbos n yorubas n boko haram for examples wen.u have fixed all dese.fings den u can comment negatively about ghana but i love most nigerians tho especially yorubas ur cultures r so rich especially ur weddings which r now in da top 3 most ectravagant wedding ghanaians need to learn still but love ma homeland still
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by ba7man(m): 9:24pm On Jan 11, 2013
@ OP. Don't get excited and wet your pants yet. Nigeria has one thing Ghana will never have....unless u guys breed like Rats for the next 30years. A LARGE POPULATION!!!!!!. If 10 percent of the Nigerian popultion pay for an investor's service or product, that investor is made for life. Can't say the same for Ghana, your population is still too scanty to attract real returns. Nigeria has a far larger upper class, middle class and sadly...lower class(but they still have some purchasing power) than Ghana. We hav states richer than Ghana so what are u talking about??
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Ufeolorun(m): 9:43pm On Jan 11, 2013
There's no need to cry,maybe we can learn one or two things from them,at least they learned from us how not to manage oil wealth and so far,they have done a good job.We can be 10 billion people but if we refuse to show capacity or display competence at using our numbers, then nothing for us.
I don't know why some of us get so upset when anything good is mentioned about Ghana,its in our ultimate interest to have prospering neighbours.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jan 11, 2013
grin
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Nightshift(m): 9:51pm On Jan 11, 2013
Ghana is like Nigeria before 1984- friendly people , focused, good administrators. Ghana has great thinkers as well. If Nigeria gets serious Ghana will not come close as a comparison. But, Nigeria is presently at a state of self-denial. On the flipside , i love Ghana's Highlife music. Beside Congolese Soukous, Highlife is the best music ever from Africa .
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by ba7man(m): 10:14pm On Jan 11, 2013
Nigeria isn't working and Ghana still can't measure up economically with Lagos.....Now think if Nigeria gets her game together.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by Ufeolorun(m): 11:15pm On Jan 11, 2013
ba7man: Nigeria isn't working and Ghana still can't measure up economically with Lagos.....Now think if Nigeria gets her game together.
A living Dog they say,is better than a dead Lion cheesy
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by OmoTier1(m): 11:33pm On Jan 11, 2013
frosbel:

So your brain is only good for attacking Pastors who collect offerings? So all the intelligence reports released by all the major think thank indicating how Nigeria will overtake South Africa as the power house of Africa in less than 15years from now does not ring a bell where you are? No investment in Ghana will move Nigeria one bit. The FDI into South West Nigeria alone in one year is Ghana's in 2years.
Go get some knowledge dude. Nigeria is powering ahead. Let what is happening in South West Nigeria, Rivers, Enugu, Akwa-Ibom continue for the next 10years, Nigerians will be the destination for any serious investor.
Re: Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria by londoner: 8:08am On Jan 12, 2013
OP........if and when that happens let me know....that article was written in 2010

There are far too many cases of progress and foreign investment in Nigeria on ground for Nigeria to cry.

Many foreign companies are chosing Nigeria as the destination country......I see no reason why we should cry at all.

We have improvements to make, yes.......but you have to only look at the level of investment in Lagos alone, to see that Nigeria is full steam ahead.

In the last two years, Nigeria attracted about 1.3 billion dollars worth of investment in its retail sector alone....not even oil and gas.

To the contrary there are many companies who are chosing Nigeria as their country of choice to invest especially with our growing middle class and spending power. In fact many companies that invest in both countries atually invest more money in Nigeria.

If Ghana is doing well, fine.....but dont use that to try and poke at Naija's eyes, because you probably have not idea the amount of investment in Nigeria right now.....you are looking at Nigria through outdate glasses.

(1) (Reply)

... / [VIDEO] Peter Godsday Orubebe Vs Prof. Attahiru Jega #nigeriadecides / Breaking News:Ex President Dr Goodluck Jonathan's Messages To Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.