Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,730 members, 7,806,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? (5982 Views)

Igbo Hating And The Rhetoric Of Patrotism / Have You Registered For Your National Identity Card / Have You Registered To Vote? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 15, 2011
Dear Nairaland members and guest viewers,

As part of Nairaland's commitment to the enthronement of civil ideals in this country we are officially advising all Nigerians, members and non-members of this forum, to go and register, as registration exercise kicks off today.

We often talk, shout, lament, curse, but we always ignore basic contribution to the attainment of a better society. Spare us the talk, go out and register and vote when it's time to elect our leaders. We expect votes to count this time around, but even if it will not, just do your part. Don't forget to remind your friends, family and other acquaintances to also go out and exercise their civic duty.

I will be leading the campaign by going out to register tomorrow by God's grace. You too are expected to create time and vote and come here to tell us after you have done so.

You may also enter here to narrate your experiences at the registration centres https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-586519.0.html#top

Yes, Nairalanders can do it!!!

Jarus,
For Nairaland Authority.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by fstranger1: 5:06pm On Jan 15, 2011
I am not registering and no one can force me!

Not even you Jarus

Only Musiwa can make me! shocked
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Kilode1: 5:15pm On Jan 15, 2011
^^ Aare Musiwa said to go register. I spoke with him earlier. He would've loved to tell y'all himself but he's busy discussing that VP thingy with Asiwaju.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by daylae(m): 5:23pm On Jan 15, 2011
Can one register anywhere and eventually cast his vote within his original locality? don't know if this matters cus i'll definately miss the registration if i can't register away from home.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by hercules07: 5:42pm On Jan 15, 2011
Not yet, I am registering during the week at a place close to my house jare.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Donmeca(m): 6:15pm On Jan 15, 2011
Good one jarus. . .we can only bring about d change we advocate when we vote and can only vote when we register. Please guys, let's do it.

daylae:

Can one register anywhere and eventually cast his vote within his original locality? don't know if this matters cus i'll definately miss the registration if i can't register away from home.

I guess u must vote where u registered. . .they don't seem to be online. Endeavour to register for the sake of naija.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Jan 15, 2011
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Kobojunkie: 7:23pm On Jan 15, 2011
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by fstranger6: 8:53pm On Jan 15, 2011
Kilode?!:

^^ Aare Musiwa said to go register. I spoke with him earlier. He would've loved to tell y'all himself but he's busy discussing that VP thingy with Asiwaju.

Nah. . . I need to hear it from the horse's mouth

There is something special about hearing it from Musiwa himself that drives home the message the way no one else can

And, Also, I will like him to show me some aerial photographs from NASA, and, if possible, pictures of the former VC of Unilorin, on why it is important for me to go register, and what consequence may befall me should I refuse to go out and vote.

And, the message needs to be posted 10 times using different usernames with subtitles in Yoruba language, Egun and Igbomina,
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Kilode1: 9:02pm On Jan 15, 2011
^^ You are hard to please. I'll pass the message across to Aare Gbogbo Republic of Bini.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by ndcide(m): 9:55pm On Jan 15, 2011
eerrm, i will register.but woundn't vote.coz the election is over the one at eaglesquare was the real election. Any other one na formality. BTW, them share money for for ppl wey vote that day. So for me to vote, them musto geeme my own share. Chikena!
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Kobojunkie: 9:57pm On Jan 15, 2011
ndcide:

eerrm, i will register.but woundn't vote.coz the election is over the one at eaglesquare was the real election. Any other one na formality. BTW, them share money for for ppl wey vote that day. So for me to vote, them musto geeme my own share. Chikena!
^^ coward!
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by ndcide(m): 10:18pm On Jan 15, 2011
kobokobo, na the truth i talk. My relation wen be deligate collect. So for me, i must to kollect my own.if not no vote.
Any thing u like talk.
It pays to vote as a deligate than stand under the sun 4 nothing. I go register but vote?? We go price am.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by fstranger1: 10:21pm On Jan 15, 2011
ndcide:

kobokobo, na the truth i talk. My relation wen be deligate collect. So for me, i must to kollect my own.if not no vote.
Any thing u like talk.
It pays to vote as a deligate than stand under the sun 4 nothing. I go register but vote?? We go price am.

I gbadun you jare my niggi

Reminds of 1993 in Lagos

Mummy Daddy agbalajobi ni edi bo fun; I got 20 naira for parroting the chorus 5 times and then i was not old enough to vote.

I think now, If i were to vote, i would ask for at least 100 bucks. Thats just the way it is.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by GNS202(m): 11:27pm On Jan 15, 2011
Do you guys know that the DDC Machines Were not of standard (CHINA PRODUCT a.k.a CHINKO), Imagine the finger scanner machine could not capture efeectively. It took my frnds 1:24 min to capture both hands (Fingers Thumbs) Is any one xperiencing this too? Corps members re seriously backing out from the excercise, Jaga has to xplain,
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by semid1(m): 8:12am On Jan 16, 2011
Corp members backing out from the exercise? I laugh in boko haram grin grin grin

If I made a pricely N100,OOO from this same exercise in 2007, I can imagine how much a Youth Corper stands to make now. Those that did "association almanac" runs in connivance with agents of local politicians even made more.

Even then, only a few Corpers were selected in my local government and the rest were busy scheming and lobbying to be included.

The mentality hasn't changed and I'm sure most will see it as a chance to "hammer". The average corper is too money conscious to pull out. In fact, what I hear is that Corpers are protesting their exclusion and the use of indigenes in some places.

Meanwhile, y'all should go out and register cos failure to do so will mean someone snapping a face from a calendar almanac, giving it fictitious details (name, age, occupation bla bla bla) & filling up the manual registration log book for some extra kishi.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 16, 2011
I have registered after helping to install drivers for the portable scanner and printer. Yay! Is it just me or do the sophisticated DDC machines that have caused soo much election furore are really just rented laptops and two match boxes? I cannot believe anyone will actually steal them. My word Jega has had us
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Funkymallam(m): 1:23pm On Jan 16, 2011
@semid. Am a corp member participating in d exercise, d scanners are frustrating couple with d fact that am in a village in gombe state, where they are mostly farmers, capturing d already distorted finger prints becomes an uphill task. As for being paid 100k in 2007, we are hearind that we will b paid 30k for the exercise this time.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by queensmith: 1:29pm On Jan 16, 2011
Is there a way nigerians abroad can also register and vote? i was once told there is but i dont have any information?
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by semid1(m): 1:33pm On Jan 16, 2011
voltron:
Is it just me or do the sophisticated DDC machines that have caused soo much election furore are really just rented laptops and two match boxes? I cannot believe anyone will actually steal them.

It was exactly the same set up in 2007, NO DIFFERENCE!.  A laptop with a detachable webcam (for taking facial photographs of registrants) and a fingerprint scanner (for capturing the thumprints of registrants) and a small printer for printing the voter's card.

I actually thought it would be a different set-up with all the noise that was made about these new DDC Machines.
undecided
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by rasputinn(m): 1:34pm On Jan 16, 2011
Tried yesterday,but it appeared the corpers manning the machines were yet to master the use of it.Will do it tommorow since they didn't work today contrary to their assurances
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by semid1(m): 1:40pm On Jan 16, 2011
Funkymallam:
@semid. Am a corp member participating in d exercise, d scanners are frustrating couple with d fact that am in a village in gombe state, where they are mostly farmers, capturing d already distorted finger prints becomes an uphill task. As for being paid 100k in 2007, we are hearind that we will b paid 30k for the exercise this time.

Eeyah, I understand exactly what you're going thru'. . .funnily enough I didn't experience much of that problem. Major problem I experienced then was power (cos the laptops couldn't go more than 3hrs) and the printer ink. Hope you guys were provided with generator and fuel this time sha?

It was 1k/day (heard it was more in some other states) then so how much a corper got at the end of the exercise depended on how many days he worked for. I was conscripted into the exercise in late October 2006 (thanks to my closeness to the CLO) and I worked through November to January. I actually worked for 91 days but INEC didn't keep records and when I was asked how many days I worked for, I just said 100 lol wink
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by maclatunji: 5:30pm On Jan 16, 2011
If INEC insists on capturing the fingerprint of each of our 10 fingers. This voter exercise will be a massive flop. Two fingers are enough, it will make the process over three times faster. At this rate, they will have to extend the period of registration and declare work-free days to capture half of the voter population talk-less of the whole lot.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Nsiman(m): 6:11pm On Jan 16, 2011
The machines are really frustrating the efforts of elligible and earger to register voters and the corp members operating them. Thank God i went to my home today, there are about five centers in my ward and i have done that. I doubt 50% success of the exercise due to the about 21 days it will last. Tho i urge all esp gej supporters to do same.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 16, 2011
I'm soo discouraged bout dis votin with all this political parties imposing candidates with very poor pedigree. I will register but at my own convinient time.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Kilode1: 9:42pm On Jan 16, 2011
For those wondering where to register in their area,  the link below is a good tool.

http://reclaimnaija.net/cms/electionguide/pollingunits

Thanks to Nairalander "Ajali"
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by beknown(m): 11:30pm On Jan 16, 2011
REGISTER NOW!

REGISTER NOW!!

REGISTER NOW!!!

Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Kilode1: 12:25am On Jan 17, 2011
queensmith:

Is there a way nigerians abroad can also register and vote? i was once told there is but i dont have any information?

My sister, Nigerians living abroad cannot vote in this election and it was not for lack of trying, check the links below.

Nigerians abroad petitioned and pushed INEC + the PDP House of assembly to make voting possible but they REFUSED to budge, see link below;
http://allafrica.com/stories/200901190612.html

Nigerians abroad took the case to court and won, see link and quote below:

http://trendyafrica.com/2009/02/03/house-applauds-voting-by-nigerians-in-diaspora/

A Federal High Court in Abuja on  Jan. 27  ordered INEC to put in place relevant machinery to assist Nigerians to register and vote from abroad in any election without having to travel home for that purpose.

Delivering judgment in the suit filed by Nigerians living abroad, led by Prof. Bolaji Aluko, Hon. Hakeem Bello, and Mr Uzoma Onyemaechi, presiding Justice Adamu Bello directed INEC to approach the National Assembly by sponsoring a bill for the sake of Nigerians in diaspora.

In doing so, he said INEC could borrow a leaf from countries that had already adopted the external voting system.

The plaintiffs had dragged INEC and the Attorney General of Federation and Minister of Justice to court to give them equal rights of voting in countries where they reside.

They buttressed their argument with Article 13 (1) of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights (Ratification and Enforcement Act) (cap 10) laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 1990.

The plaintiff also averred that they are qualified for registration as voters by virtue of section 13 (1) (c) of the Electoral Act 2006 and sections 77(2), 117 (2), 132(5) and 178 (5) of 1999 constitution.

Still, the PDP led house of Assembly refused to do the needful since 2009  shocked  They gave silly excuses about funds and time, see link below;

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5561438-146/nigerians_in_diaspora_wont_vote_in.csp

Whereas, Guineans living abroad voted in their own elections.

Our own Representatives only care about their $1.7million/N255,000,000/year salary they don't care about us.

Do not forget, the same Nigerian-abroad is expected to travel long distances to register for new E-passports, but we can't organize common voting processes for her. The same citizens who remit billions back to the Nigerian economy every year?!

@ queensmith, If you live abroad, and you send funds to folks in Naija, you can still act. Ask your relatives to register to vote before you send them that next western union control number.

If you can't be in Naija, you can influence those relatives in Naija, try your best and make sure they participate, Ask them to send a pic of their voters card if possible. It's for our own good.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by mbulela: 3:02pm On Jan 17, 2011
drove past the one near my house.
the queue was unimaginable and the guys leaving said the machines were not working.
I will try again later this week.

I hear the machines were sourced from Zinox?
My hopes are not high.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 17, 2011
mbulela:

My hopes are not high.

Me too. When i take a look at the roll call of the so-called aspirants, i just feel confused. do i register or not?
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Odunnu: 4:40pm On Jan 17, 2011
Yea, I have.
Re: Beyond Rhetoric, Have You Registered? by Odunnu: 4:43pm On Jan 17, 2011
I notice that the corpers have stopped bothering about the fingerprint capturing machine and are registering without it.Is it right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Should Kiss Bayelsa State Goodbye / Is Now Clear That The North Feeds The South / Is There A True Check And Balance Mechanism In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.