Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,902 members, 7,799,030 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:11 PM

Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? (12621 Views)

Ladies What Get You Attracted To A Man? / Guys, Are You Attracted To Tall Or Short Girls? / Ladies, Are You Attracted To Muscular Men? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by MrsChima(f): 10:40pm On Jan 16, 2011
We don't want you.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by Mygoldie(f): 10:42pm On Jan 16, 2011
Lol grin grin
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by isalegan2: 10:43pm On Jan 16, 2011
I noticed this topic and thought it was interesting - with no intent to participate since I had nothing to contribute.

But I have to highlight some things that really conflicted with everything I know.  I'm not AA, but pursuing Pol Sci in the US means, to my utter consternation, I know more about American History and Politics than that of my own.  embarassed grin

Really, I have to address the following, and feel free to reply me :

Mrs.Chima:

Back in 1930, America suffered a great depression when the economy crashed.  The president FDR created an act called "The Great Deal" which is modern day welfare system. 

I think you meant FDR's "NEW DEAL." You're conflating Great Depression and New Deal.

A woman who apply for welfare at the time could not hold any marriage license and no male were to be present in the household when social workers visit the home. This movemnt caused a division with the NUCLEAR BLACK FAMILIES Black women were becoming head of house hold in the 60's during the Jim Crow Era because black men were put in jail for protesting against the unjust. Jim Crow caused such rift amongst black women and men that the marriage between the two dwindled  and women having to step up providing for their children by depending on the welfare system.

"JIM CROW" was not in the 1960s.  Jim Crow happened in the period after the civil war, during Reconstruction, 1865 onwards.  You must have meant to say, 60s = time of the Civil Rights Movement, MLK's time.

In order for the government not to have records of such union they were often married in private halls by the preacher and under the Islamic tenet, you were married under Allah and witnesses.  The blacks took the same tenet and made it work for them. 

This is surprising. I have never heard of this. While I am not NOI, I have had a lot of contact with them, plus other "mainstream" Muslims in the US. Black muslims in America, mainly the Nation of Islam, did not approve of or enable single motherhood. I have seen nothing referencing the practice, in the 70s or beyond, where women were encouraged to get married by an Imam under "Islamic Tenet" so they could continue to collect welfare from the government.  To the contrary, the Black Muslims emphasised economic independence and, in some cases, separatism.

Now we are moving toward 1970's during the New Age Movement, the nuclear black families were completely destroyed and black women became head of household after black men were sought out by the police force because of riots and protests. 

To what extent did Blacks participate in the New Age Movement in 70s?  The prevailing view is that the 70s for AA was a time when they were proclaiming the "Black Power" and "Black Separatist"movements, along with  "Black Liberation Theology."  I always thought Black  participation in the New Age Movement was very limited.

Other than that, interesting thread.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by ekubear1: 10:47pm On Jan 16, 2011
isale_gan2:

But I have to highlight some things that really conflicted with everything I know.  I'm not AA, but pursuing Pol Sci in the US means, to my utter consternation, I know more about American History and Politics than that of my own.  embarassed grin

Me and you both grin But I'm trying to fix the situation by paying more attention to Nigerian politics and history.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by justdream(m): 10:49pm On Jan 16, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

We don't want you.

I Know Looking At Me, Yu Just Was Wishing Yu Dint Get Married To Chima grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by isalegan2: 10:51pm On Jan 16, 2011
eku_bear:

Me and you both grin But I'm trying to fix the situation by paying more attention to Nigerian politics and history.

Hey, Bear.  It irks me.  I am working on it.  Maybe I'll just get a Ed.D and teach American History or Comparative Politics or something in Nigeria. cheesy
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by ekubear1: 10:55pm On Jan 16, 2011
isale_gan2:

Hey, Bear.  It irks me.  I am working on it.  Maybe I'll just get a Ed.D and teach American History or Comparative Politics or something in Nigeria. cheesy

Money in that proly ain't right undecided

Leverage poli sci into law degree?

I thought I wanted to be a professor too, but realized I'd rather be rich instead. . .
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by MrsChima(f): 11:01pm On Jan 16, 2011
isale_gan2:

I think you meant FDR's "NEW DEAL." You're conflating Great Depression and New Deal.

[size=16pt]I was not born during those times however my elders were and according to them they referred it as the GREAT DEAL because they thought it was a crock of dog poo and that America should protect their own regardless of ethnicities or creed.[/size]

"JIM CROW" was not in the 1960s.  Jim Crow happened in the period after the civil war, during Reconstruction, 1865 onwards.  You must have meant to say, 60s = time of the Civil Rights Movement, MLK's time.  

[size=16pt]You are incorrect the JIM CROW law was enacted in 1876 to 1965.  Blacks were causing riots and protests against the Era.  So again, JIM CROW era and Civil Rights Movement are two separate entities.[/size]

This is surprising. I have never heard of this. While I am not NOI, I have had a lot of contact with them, plus other "mainstream" Muslims in the US. Black muslims in America, mainly the Nation of Islam, did not approve of or enablesingle motherhood. I have seen nothing referencing the practice, in the 70s or beyond, where women were encouraged to get married by an Imam under "Islamic Tenet" so they could continue to collect welfare from the government.  To the contrary, the Black Muslims emphasised economic independence and, in some cases, separatism.

[size=16pt]I stated that black couples uses the Islamic tenet of marriage being honored under Allah and witnesses to their advantage as they tried to hide their marriage from the government to receive public aid. In other words, in order for a black woman to receive public aid she could not be married however at that time NUCLEAR BLACK FAMILIES were still strong and the thought of not marrying in the family was atrocious to keep the family tradition they found another way to be married and still receive government aid. Understand now?[/size]

To what extent did Blacks participate in the New Age Movement in 70s?  The prevailing view is that the 70s for AA was a time when they were proclaiming the "Black Power" and "Black Separatist"movements, along with  "Black Liberation Theology."  Black  participation in the New Age Movement was very limited.

[size=16pt]The New Age Movement again was COINED BY AA COMMUNITY when the shift in black families as BLACK MEN WERE SHIPPED OFF TO PRISON FOR causing riots and protests.  You are right the 70's were black power era HENCE prisons having LARGEST NUMBERS of AA men during that time.  Because of that, black women became head of household and the rate of single black women with children increased.[/size]
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by MrsChima(f): 11:06pm On Jan 16, 2011
isale_gan2:

Are you African or AA?
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by Mygoldie(f): 11:06pm On Jan 16, 2011
gotta dive in my bed now, nanite Mrs chima. smiley smiley
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by isalegan2: 11:14pm On Jan 16, 2011
eku_bear:

Money in that proly ain't right undecided

Leverage poli sci into law degree?

I thought I wanted to be a professor too, but realized I'd rather be rich instead. . .

Bear, Some story in that.  Diverted.  Long Story.  For another time though.

MsChima,
Never heard it referred to as "Great Deal."  

What period would you consider Reconstructon to have ended and the "Civil Rights Movement" to have started?

You mentioned you do presentation on this.  Refer any source on the Black Muslims practice that you described.  Not Google (or Wikipedia) though. wink
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by Dsense(m): 11:16pm On Jan 16, 2011
Mygoldie:

smiley smiley smiley don't cry dude sense.

@oh really sis, i wish we had one too. embarassed
Very painful Mrs Eve is banned again  . . . .  .That witch ''I hate her now'' cry
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by isalegan2: 11:19pm On Jan 16, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

Are you African or AA?

101% African. cheesy Nigerian.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by MrsChima(f): 11:35pm On Jan 16, 2011
quote author=isale_gan2 link=topic=586446.msg7545386#msg7545386 date=1295216086]
Bear, Some story in that. Pol Sci and Sociology. Diverted. Long Story. For another time though.

MsChima,
Never heard it referred to as "Great Deal."

What period would you consider Reconstructon to have ended and the "Civil Rights Movement" to have started?

You mentioned you do presentation on this. Refer any source on the Black Muslims practice that you described. Not Google (or Wikipedia) though. wink

[quote][/quote]

I do not need to google nor use wikipedia for half of my friends/family are Muslim. wink Of course you wouldn't see the history books depicted the "term" Great Deal because it was coined by AA community. I have stated that three times already. If you are getting your information from the history books that you purchased in college concerning Black History, you know what on the other hand I will not go there.

The civil right movement is still going on. It never ended.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by MrsChima(f): 11:35pm On Jan 16, 2011
isale_gan2:

101% African. cheesy Nigerian.

Oh, that make sense.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by isalegan2: 11:37pm On Jan 16, 2011
Okay.  No worries.  smiley
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by ekubear1: 11:41pm On Jan 16, 2011
I also have never heard it called the Great Deal. And my 10th grade History teacher was an older AA woman.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by Princek12(m): 12:09am On Jan 17, 2011
eku_bear:

@Princek12: I guess we will agree to disagree.
no doubt.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by Princek12(m): 12:18am On Jan 17, 2011
Mz DarkSkin,

you are seriously delusional.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by MrsChima(f): 2:19am On Jan 17, 2011
eku_bear:

I also have never heard it called the Great Deal. And my 10th grade History teacher was an older AA woman.

Was she born in 1930's?
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by MrsChima(f): 2:21am On Jan 17, 2011
justdream:

I Know Looking At Me, Yu Just Was Wishing Yu Dint Get Married To Chima grin grin grin

No. I will pass. Thanks for the offering though. Excuse me, I need to vomit. lipsrsealed

Mr. Chima is MY PRECIOUS King.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by ekubear1: 3:57am On Jan 17, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

Was she born in 1930's? 

I don't think she was that old. Probably early 60s/late 50s when I took history from her. So I'd guess 1940-1945 or so?

In any case, being a history buff, I think she'd have told us if this was something prevalent in that era.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by Nobody: 4:55am On Jan 17, 2011
Princek12:

Mz DarkSkin,

you are seriously delusional.

How am I delusional hun? you complimented us foreign women while disrespecting Naija women AS A NIGERIAN MAN, I think the pot is calling the beige kettle black tongue
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by Princek12(m): 3:07pm On Jan 17, 2011
MzD@rkSkin:

How am I delusional hun? you complimented us foreign women while disrespecting Naija women AS A NIGERIAN MAN, I think the pot is calling the beige kettle black tongue

Exactly my point. How has my statement of my own opinion about the low number of Nigerian women who are shapely become disrespectful to Nigerian women? You are seriously delusional. So does any factual statement automatically translates to disrespect? I am a realist and will say the truth. You can jump off a cliff, if it makes you happy.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by MrCork17: 3:19pm On Jan 17, 2011
FACT: MzDarksin is preeetier than Nigerian women wink
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 17, 2011
Princek12:

Exactly my point. How has my statement of my own opinion about the low number of Nigerian women who are shapely become disrespectful to Nigerian women? You are seriously delusional. So does any factual statement automatically translates to disrespect? I am a realist and will say the truth. You can jump off a cliff, if it makes you happy.

If I ever think like you, maybe I will take you up on the cliff offer. Hey make it interesting: NO PARACHUTE  grin grin

My point is common sense will show it is you who is PAST delusional, you are just down right 'tarded not even deserving of a "re" prefix cheesy wink, because Nigeria contributed the most slaves during the slave trade (of course it was not just them however they were a MAJOR key player/supplier of human cargo), with that said most of us Akatas, Jamos;etc inherited our looks and shape from? YEP. . .YOU GUESSED IT!  wink

Mr.Cork, thanks but sharap!  grin
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by ShyOne(f): 5:46pm On Jan 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

I noticed this topic and thought it was interesting - with no intent to participate since I had nothing to contribute.

Really, I have to address the following, and feel free to reply me :

1) I think you meant FDR's "NEW DEAL." You're conflating Great Depression and New Deal.

2) "JIM CROW" was not in the 1960s.  Jim Crow happened in the period after the civil war, during Reconstruction, 1865 onwards.  You must have meant to say, 60s = time of the Civil Rights Movement, MLK's time.

3) This is surprising. I have never heard of this. While I am not NOI, I have had a lot of contact with them, plus other "mainstream" Muslims in the US. Black muslims in America, mainly the Nation of Islam, did not approve of or enable single motherhood. I have seen nothing referencing the practice, in the 70s or beyond, where women were encouraged to get married by an Imam under "Islamic Tenet" so they could continue to collect welfare from the government.  To the contrary, the Black Muslims emphasised economic independence and, in some cases, separatism.

4) To what extent did Blacks participate in the New Age Movement in 70s?  The prevailing view is that the 70s for AA was a time when they were proclaiming the "Black Power" and "Black Separatist"movements, along with  "Black Liberation Theology."  I always thought Black  participation in the New Age Movement was very limited.

Other than that, interesting thread.

Here's my quality education and I AM AA.

I am going to reply to the above via number format.

1) You are definitely correct on the above corresponding point

2)  You are incorrect - you might need to take a few more classes [just a suggestion, not trying to be rude].  Jim Crow Laws were in effect through over half of the 60's -that is ONE OF THE MANY REASONS FOR THE EXISTENCE OF the "Civil Rights Movement"  - I have family members that marched with MLK and several other AA and White leaders - http://academic.udayton.edu/race/02rights/jcrow02.htm

3) Because you haven't seen it - doesn't mean it doesn't exist because the red highlighted area is definitely occurring on various scales in this country - even to THIS DAY - regardless to your understanding and/or personal close experience with a few muslim associates.  In North Carolina there is a very large group of Muslims - which my 1st cousin is a member and she is a 2nd wife to an Imam and was married under Muslim Law (tribal) and didn't marry in the court system.  They have a HUGE following in that area.  She married in 2010 and this EXISTS TO THIS DAY.  (No one knows everything - what we assume, and even much information we gather in school - in theory is a "good read" however, in practice and application - It is a totally different story.

4) In the 70's Republicans ran this country for 3/4's of the 70's through 1977.  So blacks who had just been released from segregation and were largely uneducated, homeless, jobless - didn't progress in that era as they should have had different conditions been available to them.  SO I agree about their lack of progression in that critical time period as you have mentioned.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by MrsChima(f): 6:22pm On Jan 17, 2011
Thank you, Shyone. I guess he had to hear from you because I basically said the same thing with different delivery.

You are exactly right Shyone because many people who are Muslims with multiple wives are not married in the court system and that practice were adopted by the blacks during the NEW DEAL era please let me say that before he start preaching about what he never read. Goodness. Blacks adopted the that practice to ensure family tradition and was still using the government for benefits.

The shift in Nuclear Black families made black women the head of household and many of the brothers are in jail.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by Dsense(m): 8:03pm On Jan 17, 2011
Mr, Cork:

FACT: MzDarksin is preeetier than Nigerian women wink
Now,I can just see you are completely blind! angry
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by ShyOne(f): 12:45am On Jan 18, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

Thank you, Shyone. I guess he had to hear from you because I basically said the same thing with different delivery.

You are exactly right Shyone because many people who are Muslims with multiple wives are not married in the court system and that practice were adopted by the blacks during the NEW DEAL era please let me say that before he start preaching about what he never read. Goodness. Blacks adopted the that practice to ensure family tradition and was still using the government for benefits.

The shift in Nuclear Black families made black women the head of household and many of the brothers are in jail.

Thanks Chima

I second that emotion.
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by aminalib(f): 12:52am On Jan 18, 2011
D-sense:

Now,I can just see you are completely blind! angry

slap urself NO-sense grin grin
Re: Nigerian Men: Why Are You Attracted To Jamo, Akata, And Islander Sisters? by Wallie(m): 5:03pm On Aug 23, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Why are you attracted to Jamo, Akata, and Islander sisters?

What does Jamo, Akata, and Islander sisters have that appease your attraction?

Do you see them no different than your fellow African sisters? I would say No. Jamo, Akata, and Islander sisters ancestry started in Africa.

At the risk of sounding shallow and conceded, I would say most men that date those types of people are just after a certain “look”. Personally, I only find certain types of look attractive and it has nothing to do with country of origin.

By the way, Africans also posses the qualities that I look for and I make no effort to distinguish between Africans and African Americans. It is also not one quality per se but a combination of things and the absence or presence of a specific quality does not really qualify or disqualify a person. It is the overall package that I look at.

For example, on average, I find the following “qualities” attractive:
1. Tall lady – about 5 ft 9” plus or minus a couple of inches
2. Medium built lady with curves – can’t be too skinny or fat
3. Cultured lady – you also have to be a lady in the streets but a…
4. A well-dressed lady with style
5. Above average beauty – forget all that “beauty in the eye of the beholder” stuff! If you don’t get complements for your beauty from complete strangers, men and women alike, then you’re probably just average looking.

Any female with more than one of the qualities above will get my attention. Now keeping my attention? That requires a completely new set of qualities.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can You Allow Your Partner To Flirt Online? / What Type Of Tradition Is This With No Bra In The Public? (see Crazy Photos) / Petite Ladies,how Do You Cope

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.