Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father (34099 Views)

Mide Martins Reunites With Afeez Owo, Her Husband / Jumoke Orisaguna, Ex-Breadseller Reunites With Her Husband (photos) / Davido Reunites With Girlfriend, Sira Kante In New York (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by omongbatim: 7:34am On Jan 17, 2011
After 42 years, Hollywood star, Stacie Turner, reunites with Nigerian father,
By TOSIN AJIRIRE

Saturday, January 15, 2011

For Stacie Turner, African-American star of wave-making Hollywood drama series, The Real Housewives of DC, father is worth more than gold. For several years, she has lived her life as an adopted child and never knew that her real father, a Nigerian was alive and kicking.

Stacie

advertisement

But then she never gave up hope as something continued to tell her that if only she could try, one day she will meet face to face with her long lost dad, Nze Augustine Onyema, an indigene of Mbaitoli, Imo State.

And as fate would have it, Arik Air, West Africa’s largest commercial carrier made it possible for the American TV star to reunite with her Nigerian father. Stacie and her husband, Jason along with a large entourage, touched down at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos on Tuesday afternoon aboard Arik Air’s nonstop flight from New York.

42-year-old Stacie was born into a foster home in Washington DC. She was a fortunate child having got loving parents to adopt her at an early age. They had treated her like their own biological child and provided her with everything including a nurturing childhood, a stable home life and exposure to people, and places. Young Stacie also had experiences which inculcated in her positive self image, and this had ensured her drive to achieve success.

It was not until recently that Stacie, the only African-American actress on the run-away reality TV series in Washington DC discovered that her mother is American and her father is Nigerian. In fact, it was only after discovering her medical history that she embarked on a journey to find her biological father in Nigeria.

However, the mother of two, Jacob and Catherine beamed with victorious smiles as she landed in Nigeria, her native country on Tuesday. The star actress, who came with her children, including an official of the Nigerian Embassy in USA, could not contain her excitement and appreciation to Arik Air for making the historic trip possible. And she has this to say of the airline: “Arik Air is my new favourite airline! I’ve never seen a cabin like that; it’s wonderful,” adding on her twitter page thus, “Arik Airlines is the bomb! Full lounge on the plane, Nigerian food, nice staff - first class all the way baby!”

As she departed JFK Airport heading for Nigeria, Stacie continued to engage her friends and fans all over the world on her twitter page. She enthused thus: “Enroute JFK to head to Nigeria to meet my family! I have dreamed of this day for so long and it’s finally here!”

And immediately she landed in Owerri, Stacie informed: “Nobody’s kidnapping the kid! (We are) safe and secure. Yes! Just landed in Owerri. We are guests of the Governor—doing a 2-day medical mission—then meeting my family.”

Speaking about her impending meeting with her father, Stacie said, “I am overwhelmed and thrilled to find a welcoming family in Nigeria - my birthfather, 10 siblings and a huge extended family - who I plan to meet now. I’m really excited about the prospect of meeting my birth father for the first time and it’s going to be an exciting time when I get to Mbaitoli, near Owerri where he resides.”

At about 4pm on Thursday, Blockbuster learnt that Stacie finally reunited with her long lost biological father. And with tears of joys streaming down her beautiful face, the famous American actress hugged and hugged Nze Onyema while the sun stood still.

In 2009, Stacie increased her profile and platform. She decided to join the cast of the Bravo Network television franchise, The Real Housewives, a wave-making drama based on the lives of high profile women in Washington, DC. Unlike most actors who find reality TV a risky deal, Stacie perceived it as a unique marketing platform to broaden awareness of her business and philanthropic efforts. But it turned out successful as the first season of the show garnered the second highest ratings in the history of the Bravo franchise.

While Stacie has enjoyed substantial success in business, she has always maintained a passionate civic interest in the lives of children in her community. Her first gift, “the foundation of family”, as she calls it, kindled a deep desire to positively impact the lives of adolescent foster children, and help them forge a path towards achievement despite obstacles.

With the belief that: “the only difference between an ordinary life and an extra-ordinary life is the “extra”, Stacie founded Extra-Ordinary Life to provide the “extra”. Extra-Ordinary Life (XOL) is a charitable programme (within the Pursuit of Dreams Foundation) that nurtures and enriches the lives of teen girls living in the DC foster care system. The organisation seeks to: drive vision in youth, through exposure to people, places and opportunities beyond their current access; and to inspire them to dream big and aspire to do great things in life.

This past July, XOL took eight foster teen girls to South Africa during the FIFA 2010 World Cup — a trip captured on film by BET Networks that chronicled the amazing journey of discovery. The documentary, entitled, Extra-Ordinary Life: Journey to South Africa has aired in 54 countries in Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. It is scheduled to air in the United States early this year.

Meanwhile, Arik Air will be flying Stacie around the country. According to the airline’s Senior Vice President Commercial, Mr. Kevin Steele, this is a way of discovering her fatherland. “We are excited that Stacie has chosen to fly Arik Air for this important mission. We will be flying her around Nigeria on this first visit to her fatherland and I’m sure she’ll love it,” he says.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jan/15/503.html

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by lakeside4love(m): 7:42am On Jan 17, 2011
Interesting,
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by omongbatim: 7:43am On Jan 17, 2011
The Dish
Stacie Turner Heads to Nigeria to Meet Biological Father
"I have dreamed of this day," DC Housewife says.
By Rachel Stein

Stacie Turner of The Real Housewives of DC
The day Stacie Turner "has dreamed of" is finally here -- she's en route to Nigeria to connect with her biological father.

This past season on The Real Housewives of D.C., we saw the beginning Stacie's difficult quest to find her biological dad. And now, after much hard work, the father and daughter are just hours away from meeting in person.

"En route to JFK airport to head to Nigeria to meet my family! I have dreamed of this day for so long and its finally here!" she tweeted earlier today.

Stacie has been live-tweeting the whole event, posting photos of her travel partners, including husband Jason, on the way to Africa. "ARIK airlines is the bomb," she gushed. "Full lounge on the plane, nigerian food, nice staff- first class all the way baby!"

The last we heard from Stacie, she's landed in Lagos and is heading to Victoria Island -- be sure to follow the rest of her trip on Twitter.

http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/the-dish/stacie-turner-heads-to-nigeria-to-meet-biological-father

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by isalegan2: 7:56am On Jan 17, 2011
I saw her on tv a few months ago.  She talked about finding her dad and talking to him and several members of the family.  What stood out for me was how excited she was about the culture.  She said she and her husband were going to have their wedding all over again, because the family told her they didn't do it right according to Igbo tradition - her family wants the husband to pay the bride price and do all the traditional stuff.  smiley

P.S. I think her mom is white.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Kobojunkie: 8:00am On Jan 17, 2011
What hollywood star?
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by fstranger1: 8:12am On Jan 17, 2011
OMO Yoruba: dont forget that we Yorubas have highly placed people in Hollywood

Remember:Omaroseonee Manigault-Stallworth

My full name is Omorosaonee; it’s a Yoruba name that means, ‘my beautiful child desired.’ My father’s family is Nigerian my mother is American. I do recognize where I’m from and my lineage. I mean you look at my cheekbones, you look at my fierce fighting spirit and attitude—you know exactly where I’m from. I went to Nigeria three years ago and did a whole press tour there for about three weeks and helped to launch an Apprentice Africa. It was pretty exciting.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Nobody: 8:21am On Jan 17, 2011
Nice

She looks ibo btw
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

I saw her on tv a few months ago.  She talked about finding her dad and talking to him and several members of the family.  What stood out for me was how excited she was about the culture.  She said she and her husband were going to have their wedding all over again, because the family told her they didn't do it right according to Igbo tradition - her family wants the husband to pay the bride price and do all the traditional stuff.  smiley

P.S. I think her mom is white.

Igbo Kwenu! All eyes on the money like always grin
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by udezue(m): 12:40pm On Jan 17, 2011
She is from Owerri. Her biological mother is white and feels ashamed she got a biracial child. smh
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by udezue(m): 12:42pm On Jan 17, 2011
ziddy:

Igbo Kwenu! All eyes on the money like always grin

Tradition is tradition plain and simple.

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 12:56pm On Jan 17, 2011
udezue:

Tradition is tradition plain and simple.

As nice as it might be for them to want to practice their newly discovered tradition, tradition should not apply to people who did not grow up, did not know about and do not understand the tradition, ESPECIALLY retrospectively!

If they had been the ones insisting on practicing the tradition, that it fine. I find it EXTREMELY disgusting someone else suggested it and they had to (most likely out of courtesy) agree. More disgusting as it has a financial implication.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by fstranger1: 12:58pm On Jan 17, 2011
Ode!

Shattap there slowpoke!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 12:59pm On Jan 17, 2011
fstranger1:

Ode!

Shattap there not-so-smart person!

Reetard!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by udezue(m): 1:07pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite,
What is your own business? Are they spending your own money? Always focusing on nonsense. In Igbo land if you dont follow the tradition when u get married your marriage will never be fully recognized or respected. In all cultures you are required to marry according to the culture and tradition so being Igbo and wanting to do it like the way the Igbo from Owerri is not disgusted. BTW your opinion is irrelevant.

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by fstranger1: 1:10pm On Jan 17, 2011
^^^

I agree with you

Sodomite is always poking his 'dorty' nose into things of no concern to him

He has no culture, Phuccing beast of no origin!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

As nice as it might be for them to want to practice their newly discovered tradition, tradition should not apply to people who did not grow up, did not know about and do not understand the tradition, ESPECIALLY retrospectively!

If they had been the ones insisting on practicing the tradition, that it fine. I find it EXTREMELY disgusting someone else suggested it and they had to (most likely out of courtesy) agree. More disgusting as it has a financial implication.

Retroactively grin
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 1:29pm On Jan 17, 2011
udezue:

Sagamite,
What is your own business? Are they spending your own money? Always focusing on nonsense. In Igbo land if you dont follow the tradition when u get married your marriage will never be fully recognized or respected. In all cultures you are required to marry according to the culture and tradition so being Igbo and wanting to do it like the way the Igbo from Owerri is not disgusted. BTW your opinion is irrelevant.

Her marriage has been, and will continue to be, fine with or with Igboland recognition or respect.

For one, she was not raised as an Igbo, so she should not be required or needed to marry according to the culture or tradition considering her plight. They should simply welcome her and accommodate her instead of imposing rubbish on her at first instance of meeting. If the couple were the ones that insisted on doing it the Igbo way, then great.

Yes, you are right! I always focus on nonsense when I see it.

fstranger1:

^^^

I agree with you

Sodomite is always poking his 'dorty' nose into things of no concern to him

He has no culture, Phuccing beast of no origin!

Reetard!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 1:30pm On Jan 17, 2011
ziddy:

Retroactively  grin

Thank you! Although they mean the same thing.  grin
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

Her marriage has been, and will continue to be, fine with or with Igboland recognition or respect.

For one, she was not raised as an Igbo, so she should not be required or needed to marry according to the culture or tradition. They should simply welcome her and accommodate her instead of imposing rubbish on her at first instance of meeting. If the couple were the ones that insisted on doing it the Igbo way, then great.

Yes, you are right! I always focus on nonsense when I see it.

Reetard!
you mean like taking her to okija shrine for sacrifice ? shocked
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 1:36pm On Jan 17, 2011
~Bluetooth:

you mean like taking her to okija shrine for sacrifice ? shocked

That is not what I mean. Keep your tribalism to yourself.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 17, 2011
sagamite and fstranger

get a room already tongue
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Mobinga: 1:44pm On Jan 17, 2011
What's all the sodomy on this thread?
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

ok o,so what do you mean ?  angry
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by fstranger1: 1:46pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

Ode!
What is tribalistic about Okija shrine?

Okija shrine visitation is part of our Igbo tradition, as a matter of factual talk, it is a rite that has to to be performed on returning slaves, especially wayward women from the west.

PS: Olodo rabata; using retrospectively, instead of retroactively. Oloshi were, Omo Iya aje.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by fstranger1: 1:48pm On Jan 17, 2011
Mobinga:

What's all the sodomy on this thread?

All the sodomy on this thread is coming from just one ediot retaard, Sodomite!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Mobinga: 1:52pm On Jan 17, 2011
I hate faggotry but I'd like to see how Sagamite responds.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by fstranger1: 1:53pm On Jan 17, 2011
Mobinga:

I hate faggotry but I'd like to see how Sagamite[b] responds.[/b]

WTF?
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

Ignorance of the law is NOT an excuse!

Whether or not they know about the tradition, they are still bound by it!

As far as the father accepts her as a daughter, they have to do her marriage according to the tradition or he (the father) will be excommunicated from such gatherings in the community!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Mobinga: 1:57pm On Jan 17, 2011
@fstranger you neva see im profile picture, abi? He's a badt niggat  grin
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 1:57pm On Jan 17, 2011
fstranger1:

All the sodomy on this thread is coming from just one ediot retaard, Sodomite!

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thbW5YGK2bk[/flash]

~Bluetooth:

ok o,so what do you mean ?  angry

People should not be putting tradition on people that tradition should not apply to especially when it involves financial implications.

A lot of Nigerian tribes are equally as guilty.  E.g. Royal asswipes monarchs that are quick to give chieftancy title to any foreigner, all so they can then attach a tap to them to extract donations.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 2:01pm On Jan 17, 2011
Ujujoan:

Ignorance of the law is NOT an excuse!

Whether or not they know about the tradition, they are still bound by it!

As far as the father accepts her as a daughter, they have to do her marriage according to the tradition or he (the father) will be excommunicated from such gatherings in the community!

What law? To an American?

Have to what?

Where was the father when she was growing up so he can claim entitlement to demand she follows some "law" that has no meaning in her or to her life in reality?

A man abandoned a child and then at the first opportunity, when she is a grown woman, he has the guts to impose?

Rubbish!

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by fstranger1: 2:04pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

[s]What law? To an American?

Have to what?

Where was the father when she was growing up so he can claim entitlement to demand she follows some "law" that is meaning in her or to her life in reality?

A man abandonned a child and then at the first opportunity, when she is a grown woman, he has the guts to impose?

Rubbish![/s]

Reetard!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Tonto Dikeh Gets Ready For Valentines Day, Shares Lovely Photos / Sandra Okagbue Shares Photo With Her Daughter / Pastor Chris Oyakilome Rocks Festival Attire At The Loveworld Festivals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.