Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win (11718 Views)

EFCC Petitioned Over Jonathan Illegal N67.2billion Withdrawal From CBN-sahara / TAN Leader, Ifeanyi Ubah, Weeps Over Jonathan's Loss / Obiano Sacks Aide Over Jonathan’s Re-Election Jingle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by asamuel: 10:34pm On Jan 17, 2011
Backlash over Nigerian leader's presidential run
By Aminu Abubakar (AFP) – 5 hours ago

KANO, Nigeria — Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan's primary victory has led to protests and anger in parts of the country's mainly Muslim north, the first signs of a backlash to his controversial nomination.

Jonathan, a southern Christian, easily won the Peoples Democratic Party primary vote last week, but his candidacy remains controversial because some argue a northern candidate should have been given the nomination.

Hundreds of Muslim youths poured into the streets of the northern cities of Kaduna, Bauchi, Katsina and Hadejia at the weekend in protest, burning PDP flags and membership cards, witnesses told AFP.

On Sunday, the PDP campaign headquarters in the northern city of Sokoto burned, but the cause was unclear, local radio reported.

In Katsina, the home state of Jonathan?s predecessor, the late Umaru Yar?Adua, fiery sermons were delivered in mosques during Friday prayers urging Muslims not to vote for PDP candidates, local media reported.

Mass text messages on mobile phones have also been sent condemning northern state governors as "the enemies of the north and Islam" for supporting Jonathan instead of Atiku Abubakar, who challenged the president for the nomination.

The controversy stems from an arrangement within the PDP that says its candidates should be rotated between the mainly Muslim north and predominately Christian south every eight years -- called "zoning."

Jonathan became president in May after the death of Yar'Adua, who had not finished his first term, leading some to argue another northerner should take his place.

The party has won every presidential vote since Africa's most populous nation returned to civilian rule in 1999, making the PDP nominee the obvious favourite in the April 9 election.

"We have resolved to renounce our membership of the PDP for the injustice meted on the north over the zoning arrangement and have started consultation on which of the northern candidates to vote for in the presidential election," said Ahmad Yazid Rafindadi, who led the protest in Katsina.

All three major opposition parties have nominated northern Muslim candidates.

Former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari, running under the Congress for Progressive Change banner, is particularly seen as a potential threat to Jonathan if he forms an alliance with another influential party.

But despite the bluster, the extent of northern discontent with Jonathan remains difficult to gauge.

It was unclear whether the protests resulted from politicians co-opting youth gangs and sending them into the streets, as has been done in the past.

"There is strong public anger against northern PDP governors for going against the popular will of their people in supporting Jonathan in the primaries," said Abubakar Sadiq Mohammed, a political science professor at the northern Ahmadu Bello University.

"Certain political forces are no doubt exploiting this public disenchantment, especially the religious aspect of it."

Some had also predicted that Jonathan's primary run would result in violence and that Abubakar, an ex-vice president, would be a strong challenger.

In the end, Jonathan handily defeated Abubakar. There has been an upsurge in violence in recent weeks, including bomb attacks in the capital Abuja and the central city of Jos, but it is unclear whether it is directly linked to Jonathan's run.

"The whipping of religious sentiment in the north against , President Goodluck Jonathan is a dangerous development to the sustenance of democracy and national peace and stability," said Shehu Sani of the northern Civil Rights Congress organisation.

"It is equally true that politicians and Christian clerics in the south are also using religion to promote and rally support for Jonathan against northern candidates."

The Northern Elders Assembly, which challenged Jonathan's candidacy in court, blames northern PDP delegates who supported the president.

"The delegates should have thought that the choice of President Jonathan would provoke religious sentiment, which is very dangerous," Tanko Yakasai, a spokesman for the group, told AFP.

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5giPnIT3W2sDLKNMnwV2FkLaWUPlw?docId=CNG.3979b9cd43236654729450c12c6fab04.2f1
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by asamuel: 10:50pm On Jan 17, 2011
As much as I hate PDP including Atiku, IBB, and Jonathan, the North should not think they have the birthright over Nigeria's leadership. I recall how Atiku caused major mayhem in 2007 that led to the loss of many lives when he contested under ACN against his boss, OBJ. Now the desperate politician is at it again.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jan 17, 2011
FOOLS !!

How dare they riot because Atiku lost 

"The delegates should have thought that the choice of President Jonathan would provoke religious sentiment, which is very dangerous," Tanko Yakasai, a spokesman for the group, told AFP.

Is this guy for real , I mean this guy Tanko Yakasi ?

"The whipping of religious sentiment in the north against , President Goodluck Jonathan is a dangerous development to the sustenance of democracy and national peace and stability," said Shehu Sani of the northern Civil Rights Congress organisation.

Intelligent Man , Shehu Sani
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by asamuel: 10:54pm On Jan 17, 2011
Do you blame the almajiris? It's whatever their Imams in the mosque tell them that they do, not using common sense. They must have been told the Christians have taken over Nigeria and muslims will never rule again unless they fight with their blood. Can we see why our politicians want Nigerian youths to remain uneducated?
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 17, 2011
asamuel:

Do you blame the almajiris? It's whatever their Imams in the mosque tell them that they do, not using common sense. They must have been told the Christians have taken over Nigeria and muslims will never rule again unless they fight with their blood. Can we see why our politicians want Nigerian youths to remain uneducated?

You are right, a consequence of lack of education and enlightenment, no wonder Boko Haram thrives in those types of places.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by asamuel: 10:58pm On Jan 17, 2011
I just pray the whole crisis will lead to the disintegration of PDP. That way, Nigeria can make progress.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Akhenaten: 10:59pm On Jan 17, 2011
It always begin with the rioting. Soon they will be attacking Christians. This is the cycle of violence my friends.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by SkyBlue1: 11:04pm On Jan 17, 2011
As long as they keep the crazy up north that is their business. The country cannot continue to be arm twisted over this issue because of the threat/fear of violence. Anyone who was unhappy that Atiku lost the primaries should go and complain to the delegates of their states since we all saw (at least I did anyway) the counting of votes that threw up Jonathan as the flagbearer. The constitution gives everyone the right to run for precidency and the constitution supercedes a PDP agreement. During primaries involving OBJ candidates for the north aspired to the position, during the primaries that threw up Yar Adua, candidates from the south also aspired and picked up tickets (Odilli was already doing his campaigning for president); but you never hear proponents of zoning in the PDP talk about that because it exposes the farcical nature of the policy which seems to be given prominence only when it suits a certain section. If I am not mistaken the whole issue has been thrashed out in courts before and found unconstitutional (just like when the BNP was forced by UK courts to revise its rules which did not allow non-whites).
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by asamuel: 11:06pm On Jan 17, 2011
I still wonder how some people think Atiku would have been the best to rule Nigeria.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by SkyBlue1: 11:09pm On Jan 17, 2011
asamuel:

I just pray the whole crisis will lead to the disintegration of PDP. That way, Nigeria can make progress.

And then who will lead? ACN? AGPA? ANPP? People need to start getting a bit more insightful with their responses abeg. One of the many things Nigeria suffers from in its political space is lack of credible and solid opposition. You can't keep shouting 'PDP is the devil' without giving the people viable alternatives to turn to. PDP isn't the only party to fail the country, the weak opposition that expects everything to come their way without effort, do liitle to campaign for the hearts of the people and then expect to win elections, has also had a hand in the degeneration process.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by superboi(m): 11:10pm On Jan 17, 2011
We have to show this people that the can not use violence as a political currency. If they dare attacker people from other region or religion they should be attacked back also. Haba as their father Abacha would say, Enaff is enaff.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by asha80(m): 11:11pm On Jan 17, 2011
i guess this is what Gbawe is talking about.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by step1: 11:14pm On Jan 17, 2011
superboi:

We have to show this people that the can not use violence as a political currency. If they dare attacker people from other region or religion they should be attacked back also. Haba as their father Abacha would say, Enaff is enaff.

You could not have said it better. NO ONE HAS A MONOPOLY ON VIOLENCE, KILL ONE SOUTHERNER=20 NORTHERNERS DEAD! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH OF THIS INTIMIDATION!!! Crazy people!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Akhenaten: 11:16pm On Jan 17, 2011
Well at least we know Northern politicians do not represent their constituents interest. I knew the Northern populace would not like the decision of their PDP members.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by asamuel: 11:17pm On Jan 17, 2011
@sky blue. I disagree with you that opposition parties are not working hard to remove PDP. You should know that the resources of PDP cannot be marched by any opposition party. PDP has been ruling this country since this nonsense called democracy commenced. PDP loots the nation's treasury to win election, from OBJ to GEJ. Worse still, the corruption effect in Nigerians make many Nigerians to enjoy the whole saga, leaving the opposition very helpless. Tell me, if not, why will anybody still want to vote for PDP, looking at the damage the party has done to this country?
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jan 17, 2011
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by asamuel: 11:21pm On Jan 17, 2011
@frosbel. You mean the northern youths use sticks to fight? I laugh in Greek. I hope they are not thinking of facing Jonathan's boys that use AK49 and speed boats. The almajiris would do well to fight themselves only in Katsina and Bauchi.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by SkyBlue1: 11:29pm On Jan 17, 2011
asamuel:

@sky blue. I disagree with you that opposition parties are not working hard to remove PDP. You should know that the resources of PDP cannot be marched by any opposition party. PDP has been ruling this country since this nonsense called democracy commenced. PDP loots the nation's treasury to win election, from OBJ to GEJ. Worse still, the corruption effect in Nigerians make many Nigerians to enjoy the whole saga, leaving the opposition very helpless. Tell me, if not, why will anybody still want to vote for PDP, looking at the damage the party has done to this country?

This is not a parliamentary system but a presidential system and hence it is more likely people vote for candidates as opposed to parties. Why would somebody in Lagos not vote for Fashola (ACN) if they are happy with what he is doing? At the same time why would anybody in Rivers State not vote for Amaechi (PDP) if they are happy with what he is doing? It is not as simplistic as you make it sound. Is ACN better than PDP? And that is the issue. You can't force people to vote for someone they think might be worse, just to prove a point (when serious matters affecting their livelihoods are at stake), It should be left to their own volition. You can't keep throwing that 'PDP has more resources' argument up please. How many times have we heard about proposal for coalition of opposition parties pooling resources together to form a formidable opposition to the PDP? How many coalitions have we seen so far? Why is that? And PDP is suddenly the only party with selfish interest? Let us not allow people to exploit the situation in the country to their benefit, we need to refuse to continue being taken for a ride. If I can find one party with solid ideals that better align with mine and that I feel would bring development and change to Nigeria the way I dream it, I would vote for them, heck I would even very actively campaign for them with my own resources. Since I am yet to find such, I will stick with voting for the candidate I deem the most agreeable out of the selection we have.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by marvix(m): 11:37pm On Jan 17, 2011
asamuel:

Backlash over Nigerian leader's presidential run
By Aminu Abubakar (AFP) – 5 hours ago

KANO, Nigeria — Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan's primary victory has led to protests and anger in parts of the country's mainly Muslim north, the first signs of a backlash to his controversial nomination.

Jonathan, a southern Christian, easily won the Peoples Democratic Party primary vote last week, but his candidacy remains controversial because some argue a northern candidate should have been given the nomination.

Hundreds of Muslim youths poured into the streets of the northern cities of Kaduna, Bauchi, Katsina and Hadejia at the weekend in protest, burning PDP flags and membership cards, witnesses told AFP.

On Sunday, the PDP campaign headquarters in the northern city of Sokoto burned, but the cause was unclear, local radio reported.

In Katsina, the home state of Jonathan?s predecessor, the late Umaru Yar?Adua, fiery sermons were delivered in mosques during Friday prayers urging Muslims not to vote for PDP candidates, local media reported.

Mass text messages on mobile phones have also been sent condemning northern state governors as "the enemies of the north and Islam" for supporting Jonathan instead of Atiku Abubakar, who challenged the president for the nomination.

The controversy stems from an arrangement within the PDP that says its candidates should be rotated between the mainly Muslim north and predominately Christian south every eight years -- called "zoning."
Jonathan became president in May after the death of Yar'Adua, who had not finished his first term, leading some to argue another northerner should take his place.

The party has won every presidential vote since Africa's most populous nation returned to civilian rule in 1999, making the PDP nominee the obvious favourite in the April 9 election.

"We have resolved to renounce our membership of the PDP for the injustice meted on the north over the zoning arrangement and have started consultation on which of the northern candidates to vote for in the presidential election," said Ahmad Yazid Rafindadi, who led the protest in Katsina.

All three major opposition parties have nominated northern Muslim candidates.

Former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari, running under the Congress for Progressive Change banner, is particularly seen as a potential threat to Jonathan if he forms an alliance with another influential party.

But despite the bluster, the extent of northern discontent with Jonathan remains difficult to gauge.

It was unclear whether the protests resulted from politicians co-opting youth gangs and sending them into the streets, as has been done in the past.

"There is strong public anger against northern PDP governors for going against the popular will of their people in supporting Jonathan in the primaries," said Abubakar Sadiq Mohammed, a political science professor at the northern Ahmadu Bello University.

"Certain political forces are no doubt exploiting this public disenchantment, especially the religious aspect of it."

Some had also predicted that Jonathan's primary run would result in violence and that Abubakar, an ex-vice president, would be a strong challenger.

In the end, Jonathan handily defeated Abubakar. There has been an upsurge in violence in recent weeks, including bomb attacks in the capital Abuja and the central city of Jos, but it is unclear whether it is directly linked to Jonathan's run.

"It is equally true that politicians and Christian clerics in the south are also using religion to promote and rally support for Jonathan against northern candidates."

The Northern Elders Assembly, which challenged Jonathan's candidacy in court, blames northern PDP delegates who supported the president.

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5giPnIT3W2sDLKNMnwV2FkLaWUPlw?docId=CNG.3979b9cd43236654729450c12c6fab04.2f1

This article is trying to mislead us, the zoning of the PDP did not specify 8yrs for any zone or region, it was 4yrs and based on your performance you can aspire to a second term.

If Obasanjo had died before 2003 would Atiku in all honesty decline contesting for the presidency in 2003 and would any Yoruna man have challenged him and ask him not to run becos it wasnt zined to his region.

Why did Obasanjo have to plead with Atiku if the party constitution or agreement has given the region 8yrs, Atiku and other northerners are trying to be smart by half.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by asamuel: 11:42pm On Jan 17, 2011
@sky blue. If you say there's no alternative to PDP, I'll tell you it's a lie. Pat Utomi is contesting. Ribadu is contesting. Buhari is contesting. Please tell me who is not better than Jonathan among these people. Jonathan was a deputy governor, then a governor, then a VP and now a president. What did he achieve? In all his decisions so far, he has been commiting blunders. He has squandered all our money in securing delegates. Will you want this kind of person to rule you? Even if my votes won't count, I'll better throw it away than give it to Jonathan.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by SkyBlue1: 11:47pm On Jan 17, 2011
asamuel:

@sky blue. If you say there's no alternative to PDP, I'll tell you it's a lie. Pat Utomi is contesting. Ribadu is contesting. Buhari is contesting. Please tell me who is not better than Jonathan among these people. Jonathan was a deputy governor, then a governor, then a VP and now a president. What did he achieve? In all his decisions so far, he has been commiting blunders. He has squandered all our money in securing delegates. Will you want this kind of person to rule you? Even if my votes won't count, I'll better throw it away than give it to Jonathan.

Try to stay on point. You made this about parties and I explained about providing people with viable alternatives to the PDP (that is quite different from saying there are no alternatives). Now if you want to make this about individuals (which people tend to vote for in Nigeria) and not parties, then that is another story, but please stay on point and stop flipping when it suits you. Is ACN a viable alternative to PDP? What about ANPP, is that a viable alternative also? Are ACN and ANPP less corrupt than PDP and if so is it as a result of party idealogies or is it simply because they haven't gotten the opportunity?
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by asamuel: 12:04am On Jan 18, 2011
Reasonable people would vote for individuals and not parties of course. But sometimes a party's performance could be so woeful that a rightthinking person would reject all its elements. no matter how good they may look. PDP is so bad that even if you plant a saint there, it would become a pig. Look I am off to bed. Good luck on your PDP ambition!!!
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by SkyBlue1: 12:15am On Jan 18, 2011
asamuel:

Reasonable people would vote for individuals and not parties of course. But sometimes a party's performance could be so woeful that a rightthinking person would reject all its elements. no matter how good they may look. PDP is so bad that even if you plant a saint there, it would become a pig. Look I am off to bed. Good luck on your PDP ambition!!!

The first part in bold is not always the case in places where parties actually have known ideals and policies. The part in bold is also a symptom of a country with very weak institutions where any change in government can cause massive disruption and bring about little to no continuation. Do you think if the PDP aspirant in Lagos wins the gubernatorial elections there would be continuation in policies (good ones ) that the present government has started, or would the new man try to start everything from scratch again just to prove their is a new man in town? Don't necessarily answer based on what your ideal for the situation is, rather look back at the numerous experiences of the past before you answer.

The last part in bold is a tad silly to be honest. What PDP ambition? So asking for viable opposition to the PDP makes me what exactly? Are some questions beyond asking? Or did you start this thread with a prior motive/propaganda which has not turned out the way you wanted it? So your message to people living in places like Enugu, Kaduna and Rivers State who might have seen their states develop and their lives improve as a result of governors who happen to belong to PDP is, vote out these people and go for parties you do not necessarily trust. . . . . . Why? Just to prove a point? This issue is not as simplistic as you would rather paint it. Hey, on the federal level I am all for showing PDP the back door, but not just for the sake of it and not just to change from one devil to a possibly worser one all in a bid to prove a point. Development and possibly livelihoods are at stake. This is like someone proposing war while claiming being a pacifist as an excuse for not fighting in that same war.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by asscend: 12:25am On Jan 18, 2011
Sky Blue:

That is not always the case and is more a symptom of a country with very weak institutions where any change in government can cause massive disruption and bring about little to no continuation. Do you think if the PDP aspirant in Lagos wins the gubernatorial elections there would eb continuation in policies (good ones ) that the present government has started, or would the new man try to start everything from scratch again just to prove their is a new man in town? Don't necessarily answer based on what your ideal for the situation is, rather look back at the numerous experiences of the past before you answer.

Now thats a fact you've stated there.

Our institutions need strengthning and continuity and must not be based on individuals.

Just use NAFDAC as a case study where continuity is at work.

We need more of such.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Onlytruth(m): 2:24am On Jan 18, 2011
Apparently some people think that Nigeria is their sectional property, so they riot when they lose ordinary presidential primaries. Talk of mass arrogance and delusion. undecided

Sai wan Naijeria! grin cool
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by nduchucks: 2:39am On Jan 18, 2011
Onlytruth:

Apparently some people think that Nigeria is their sectional property, so they riot when they lose ordinary presidential primaries. Talk of mass arrogance and delusion. undecided

Sai wan Naijeria! grin cool

Instead of posting utter rubbish, you would have been better off supporting people who were peacefully protesting their disenfranchisement at the hands of PDP. Their peaceful protests turned into riots in certain areas as a result of the failure of the authorities to keep the crowd under control and unnecessary provocation.

If more Nigerians protest such disenfranchisement  instead of simply rolling over for more, the country will be better off. olodo
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by omongbatim: 3:04am On Jan 18, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Instead of posting utter rubbish, you would have been better off supporting people who were peacefully protesting their disenfranchisement at the hands of PDP. Their peaceful protests turned into riots in certain areas as a result of the failure of the authorities to keep the crowd under control and unnecessary provocation.

If more Nigerians protest such disenfranchisement  instead of simply rolling over for more, the country will be better off. olodo

How were the protesters disenfranchized? Were they eligible to vote and did not vote in the PDP primary election?
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Beaf: 3:04am On Jan 18, 2011
Almajiri's rioting!!! grin grin grin grin
What has politics been reduced to that people now wheel out kids to protest political party primaries?

I call it foolishness.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by aljharem(m): 3:06am On Jan 18, 2011
Onlytruth:

Apparently some people think that Nigeria is their sectional property, so they riot when they lose ordinary presidential primaries. Talk of mass arrogance and delusion.  undecided

Sai wan Naijeria!   grin cool
Beaf:

Almajiri's rioting!!! grin grin grin grin
What has politics been reduced to that people now wheel out kids to protest political party primaries?

I call it foolishness.

Mr stu.pid and Mr ideeiot

shakes my head at the level of ignorance undecided
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Beaf: 3:12am On Jan 18, 2011
alj harem:

Mr stu.pid and Mr ideeiot

shakes my head at the level of ignorance undecided

So what do you call people hiring kids to protest political party primaries, if not fools?
Abi, were you among the almajiri rioters? grin
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by edoyad(m): 3:13am On Jan 18, 2011
Rubbish. Almajiri riots but he doesn't riot to secede, why ? That's how you know it's all crap. Let Atiku along with sokoto, zamfara, kebbi and kano starts clamouring for their own country if they want to be taken seriously. Bunch of worthless, unproductive illiterates.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Dave6: 3:54am On Jan 18, 2011
I'm sure if anything like that actually happened, it would be a small group of jobless uneducated and ignorant youths, who were kept that way by the same few elderly goats who would not send their own children and grand children to protest for their selfish interests.
So if pdp is voted out of power, and a Southerner wins the election from another party, what will they do about it?
Anyways, those making these noises are just a little minority which could be rightly qualified as almajiris.
Plus these papers are really blowing these stories out of proportion; or are they part of an atiku's post-primary campaign?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria Corruption Rating Is Political, Overblown – Jonathan / State Police: House Of Representatives To Introduce Bill Next Week / Moment INEC Issued Ahmadu Fintiri Certificate Of Return (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.