Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,217 members, 7,807,740 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ (4524 Views)

Africa's Political Situation Is Caused By The Low IQ Of The People. / Senate Says President Has Not Declared Any State Of Emergency / Why Nigerians, others have Low IQ!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Orikinla(m): 3:06pm On Jan 18, 2011
It is pathetic that a President who never fails to remind us of his academic achievement of having a Ph.D in Zoology fails to realize that the measly 3% of the budget allocated to education is a barbaric rebellion against the 26% proposed by the United Nations for developing countries.

Only N35 billion is for capital projects in the education sector and over N350 billion for the National Assembly!
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by blacksta(m): 3:20pm On Jan 18, 2011
Welldone - So you  can reason.

I thought PHCN, bad roads and random police killings have eaten your brain.

Nigeria is one of few countries in the world where academic excellence is automatically classed as instant success.

Hence the reason you have many Nigerians both home and abroad racking up shelves of degrees, Masters, pHDS and yet Limited or 0 practical and commercial experience.

The question is " when r they going to leave school to put all their so called educational luggage into practice".
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by PapaBrowne(m): 4:51pm On Jan 18, 2011
Are you serious This is the first time Education is receiving the highest budget allocation in Nigeria and you are complaining!! We have a President that has just established 9 new Universities(There were just 27 FG Universities b4 now established in the last 60 years) and you are complaining. We have a President that approved N40 Billion for Research in Universities and you are complaining? All these in less than 1 year!!

We have had Presidents that have ignored the education sector, but Jonathan is surely not one of them!!!
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Kobojunkie: 5:02pm On Jan 18, 2011
Education in the country today looks at least 25 years behind. We definitely need more than the average 3% investment we are used to getting each year to get our schools, teachers and personnel caught up by at least 10 years. Considering the Budget for this year is lower than last, I would have preferred to see at least 7% investment this time around.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Vigilante: 5:12pm On Jan 18, 2011
Ph.D = Phony Hollow Diploma
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by wesley80(m): 5:15pm On Jan 18, 2011
PapaBrowne:

Are you serious This is the first time Education is receiving the highest budget allocation in Nigeria and you are complaining!! We have a President that has just established 9 new Universities(There were just 27 FG Universities b4 now established in the last 60 years) and you are complaining. We have a President that approved N40 Billion for Research in Universities and you are complaining? All these in less than 1 year!!

We have had Presidents that have ignored the education sector, but Jonathan is surely not one of them!!!

Papa abeg no mind the OP. people just want to criticize becos they assume its the latest fad. U dont have to look to deep to realize the OP is educated but pretty Daft!
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by hercules07: 5:23pm On Jan 18, 2011
We need to decree that allocation to education at both state and federal levels should be at least 25 percent, we do not need more universities, we need to bring the existing ones up to standard first.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by PeeDaVinci: 5:27pm On Jan 18, 2011
@PapaBowne
PapaBrowne:

kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa MILOO

Clapping for the very wise Jona who deem it fit to allocate 40 billion for research in universities, and 350 billion for representathieves/legislathieves!!!!! Classic sense of priority
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Kobojunkie: 5:29pm On Jan 18, 2011
hercules07:

We need to decree that allocation to education at both state and federal levels should be at least 25 percent, we do not need more universities, we need to bring the existing ones up to standard first.

That would be AMAZING, cause apart from anything else Education is seriously behind -- we have millions who need to educated RIGHT like yesterday!
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by hercules07: 5:34pm On Jan 18, 2011
The greatest equlizers in life are education and the internet, we need to make sure that we deliver qualitative education to all and use the internet in the right manner (not yahoo yahoo), India has chaotic political system, but, they have got their education system right.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by PapaBrowne(m): 5:51pm On Jan 18, 2011
PeeDaVinci:

@PapaBowne
kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa MILOO

Clapping for the very wise Jona who deem it fit to allocate 40 billion for research in universities, and 350 billion for representathieves/legislathieves!!!!! Classic sense of priority

Ok. Haven't you heard that the Executive and the NASS are two different arms of Government?? Since when did the executive arm start allocating budgets to the NASS! Pls Mr, Educate yourself!! 350 Billion NASS budget comes direct from the CBN and not the Executive arm!
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Beaf: 6:11pm On Jan 18, 2011
PapaBrowne:

Lets also not forget that this is the first govt to plan the education of the almajiri's. There is a whopping 10 million of them; the FG will funding their and standardising their curriculum (with the inclusion of Western education). Other govts before now were content to allow the almajiri problem fester and become the present threat to national security it has become.

GEJ is doing extremely well in education, compared to all other govts. It will get even better.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by blacksta(m): 6:21pm On Jan 18, 2011
it was Only a matter time before the Goodluck apologetics show up - Are you sure you people are not suffering from Inferiority complex

abeg no kill me laughter

so because he is first to spend on education hence i should lick his yan sh. tell me what is the responsibity of the Government

in a basket of rotten tomatoes - you are tell me i should choose this one GEJ that has not spoil finish

I laugh
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Orikinla(m): 6:49pm On Jan 18, 2011
wesley80:

Papa abeg no mind the OP. people just want to criticize becos they assume its the latest fad. U dont have to look to deep to realize the OP is educated but pretty Daft!

YOU ARE SO DUMB THAT YOU CANNOT EVEN USE YOUR INTELLECT.

slowpoke, go and read!

IMPLICATIONS OF POOR FUNDING OF TERTIARY EDUCATION IN NIGERIA | O ,
by DRPO OKUNAMIRI - 2008
The effects of poor funding of education in Nigerian on Human Development

http://www.unilorin.edu.ng/ejournals/index.php/ijem/article/view/142
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Orikinla(m): 7:02pm On Jan 18, 2011
The morons who cannot reason should see TINKERING WITH EDUCATION, the Monday Editorial of The Guardian of Nigeria of Monday January 17, 2011.
I have no time to argue with the Idiots behind the President.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Mobinga: 7:05pm On Jan 18, 2011
Another year for education wasted. Lets see the next.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Jan 18, 2011

All in all, the so-called reforms embarked on by the Ministry of Education amount to little more than uncoordinated forays into aspects of Nigerian education leading in some cases to reversals and summersaults. We have seen the recent creation of more universities by the federal government when the older ones are inadequately funded and starved of resources. We have seen new policy statements on nomadic education at a time when thousands of Nigerian children in established primary schools have no teachers and no classrooms. The minister apparently thinks it is undesirable to have monotechnics, although some people query the wisdom in taking that course of action. We have seen half-hearted attempts by the minister to experiment with a new educational system in lieu of the 6:3:3:4 system. All these initiatives do not show a coherent plan on education either in terms of policy or the allocation of resources. Funding for education remains a measly 3% of the budget as against the 26% proposed by the United Nations for developing countries.

But such is the crisis of education in this country that the time has come to engage the active participation of all stakeholders – students, lecturers, parents, educational experts, religious organisations etc on how to salvage it. The proliferation of substandard private schools and illegal universities should be stopped. There ought to be a discernible policy on education and its relevance to the future development of Nigeria.

Quality education is an investment in the future of this country and a restoration of past glory. The humiliation and despair that proud Nigerians feel about the deterioration of our educational institutions is an issue that has to be immediately addressed. As of now, education will probably not improve until Nigerian leaders including legislators are persuaded, as an act of patriotism, to send their children to Nigerian schools. The Minister is entitled to congratulate herself on work well done, but she needs to do much more than stoking the fire and offer a comprehensive blueprint for Nigerian education.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35689:tinkering-with-education&catid=37:editorial&Itemid=612
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by dayokanu(m): 7:35pm On Jan 18, 2011
Na wa o
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Kobojunkie: 9:54am On Jan 19, 2011
I get the feeling this minister is not ready to improve the system too
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by EkoIle1: 10:17am On Jan 19, 2011
PapaBrowne:

Where is the sense and wisdom in creating new varsities when the existing ones are glorified elementary schools with non existing teaching tools, empty libraries, worthless academic standards and poorly paid lecturers?

Is it by force to open mouth and talk rubbish? Please stop the nonsense and quit insulting our intelligence.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by PapaBrowne(m): 12:00pm On Jan 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

Where is the sense and wisdom in creating new varsities when the existing ones are glorified elementary schools with non existing teaching tools, empty libraries, worthless academic standards and poorly paid lecturers?

Is it by force to open mouth and talk rubbish? Please stop the nonsense and quit insulting our intelligence.

The sense and wisdom is simple! First it doesn't take a day to correct the decay that was accumulated from over 40years of neglect. So process of upgrading older varsities, I expect, would be gradual. One of the keys factors responsible for the decay in the facilities is over crowding! If you build new universities, you will reduce the pressures on the existing ones.
My point is simple. Jonathan has been here for 8 months and he has already taken massive steps in education. We should subject ourselves to critical thinking. It doesn't take one day to correct the neglect of so many decades!!
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Kobojunkie: 12:08pm On Jan 19, 2011
CORRECTION --- OUR schools are NOT OVERCROWED. The Ministry of Education has not been able to provide reports showing this to be the case, even as it argues that adding more schools is solution to the problem experienced in the system today. In addition the ministry has not explored capacity building options

If anything, majority of our schools have been operating UNDER CAPACITY for so long now, mainly because most of the schools are UNDER STAFFED and UNEQUIPPED to handle the load they were initially built to handle.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by ekubear1: 12:09pm On Jan 19, 2011
I'd much rather see a few good schools than many crap ones.

If there aren't enough spaces in schools, invite respected schools from abroad to open up more universities.

More crap universities in Nigeria won't benefit anyone  undecided

Just creates more unemployable but overqualified workers.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by matemate: 1:01pm On Jan 19, 2011
if he had Ph.D in Zoology was he  teaching at the university of Port harcourt.?

oil pollution can be clear up. remember alum and water. how much can you pay for solution.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Orikinla(m): 1:33pm On Jan 19, 2011
An intelligent leader would have proposed N350 billion for capital projects in the education sector.

And N35 billion for the National Assembly.

He has only continued to approve the Jumbo salaries of the members of the National Assembly who have been misappropriating their constituency project funds.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Blackteeth(m): 1:57pm On Jan 19, 2011
You guys should not forget the dark powerful forces behind the scenes influencing the president's decision. Non compliance with the demands of these dark powerful forces can likely ruin the president's political life.

Anyway, is spending 350 billion on education all it takes to make at least 80% of students pass their exams? If some measures are not taken, spending that cash on education can be a big waste. But all the same, Nigerian education needs serious money.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by PapaBrowne(m): 3:24pm On Jan 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

CORRECTION --- OUR schools are NOT OVERCROWED. The Ministry of Education has not been able to provide reports showing this to be the case, even as it argues that adding more schools is solution to the problem experienced in the system today. In addition the ministry has not explored capacity building options

If anything, majority of our schools have been operating UNDER CAPACITY for so long now, mainly because[b] most of the schools are UNDER STAFFED and UNEQUIPPED to handle the load they were initially built to handle. [/b]

How else on planet earth would you define overcrowding if not the perfect definition you have given above!! You are so obviously contradicting yourself!

We have schools with 1000 students managing a lecture theater built for 100 students!! If that is not overcrowding, what else is! We have room hostels built for 4 students housing 20 students! IMO that is an overcrowded situation!
Asides we have 2 million students taking JAMB yearly with universities admitting just 160,000. That is enough reason to build new universities. What I expect you to demand is that the new universities be built to international standards! That is a perfect starting point! Not coming here to critic what is an obvious good solution!! Doesn't it amaze you that in 60 years only 27 FG universities were built? If GEJ decides to build 9 new ones(thats 25%), in just 8 months of office, that is a massive massive step in the right direction!!
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by PapaBrowne(m): 3:27pm On Jan 19, 2011
Orikinla:

An intelligent leader would have proposed N350 billion for capital projects in the education sector.

And N35 billion for the National Assembly.

He has only continued to approve the Jumbo salaries of the members of the National Assembly who have been misappropriating their constituency project funds.

You guys need to get an education!! Please Mr Orikinla, there is something called devolution of powers! The National Assembly is completely independent of the Executive Arm of Government! They determine their own budget. It is no the Executive arms responsibility to approve budgets for the National Assembly! They get their subventions directly from the CBN without any approval from the Executive!

So please Mr, never blame the executive arm for the excesses of the legislature!! Get educated man!!
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Kobojunkie: 3:32pm On Jan 19, 2011
PapaBrowne:

How else on planet earth would you define overcrowding if not the perfect definition you have given above!! You are so obviously contradicting yourself!

We have schools with 1000 students managing a lecture theater built for 100 students!! If that is not overcrowding, what else is! We have room hostels built for 4 students housing 20 students! IMO that is an overcrowded situation!
Asides we have 2 million students taking JAMB yearly with universities admitting just 160,000. That is enough reason to build new universities. What I expect you to demand is that the new universities be built to international standards! That is a perfect starting point! Not coming here to critic what is an obvious good solution!! Doesn't it amaze you that in 60 years only 27 FG universities were built? If GEJ decides to build 9 new ones(thats 25%), in just 8 months of office, that is a massive massive step in the right direction!!

NO, you did not describe the situation as honestly as it should be. What we have more of are cases were schools initially built for 2000 student capacity, currently able to handle only about 1000 of that number because the schools do not have enough staff to handle more than the current load, and in most cases the facilities have been allowed to deteriorate. An Example is my old secondary school. When I was there back in the days, we had about 15 classrooms and a big hall we used for assembly. The same school now has about 9 classes(6 of the classes have fallen)and as a result you have more students packed into the remaining classes. Do you argue that the reason why there are more students per class is because the school is overcrowded?

In more cases than none, it is not overcrowding --- even the ministry has not been able to make that argument convincingly since it is aware that most of the public are in dire need of either rebuilding/upgrade.

For universities, there is such a thing as capacity building. You don't need to build more schools -- you can simply increase the capacity at the schools is overcrowding is really the main issue. Capacity building takes place today in universities and countries across the world, and it has been shown to be effective in all wise. Also, to counter the overcrowding argument, we have, in the past 10 years, increased the number of universities in Nigeria by at least 20. None of those schools are bursting at the seams. So again, overcrowding is NOT YET an issue, in much the same way one cannot argue that Nigeria is overpopulated simply because we have more hungry people than we have none.
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Orikinla(m): 4:29pm On Jan 19, 2011
The same President who approved spending over N7 billion for the 50th independence anniversary of Nigeria.
Then after his own kith and kin of MEND blasted the Eagle Square venue of the celebrations, what happened to whatever billions of naira left of the money.

For the 50th independence anniversary celebrations, N10 billion (about $67 million) is budgeted and;
million to replace the carpeting at the International Conference - the Secretary to the Government of the Federation is to spend N6.4 billion,
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs is to spend N600 million,
- Ministry of Information and National Orientation is to spend N1.2 billion,
- Ministry of Women Affairs is to spend N105 million.
- The State House is to spend N510million
- The Federal Capital Territory, FCT is to spend N100 Centre and N2.65bilion to construct a Golden Jubilee Plaza
- N1 billion is to be used for ceremonial uniforms for all military and para-military agencies including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Police, Customs, Prisons, Immigration, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and the Federal Road Safety Commission
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by Xfactoria: 5:13pm On Jan 19, 2011
N350b to NASS and N35b to Education?

Well, looks like GEJ can't do much to change that else, his impeachment beckons. He even tried to up education budget to 3%.

A lot of us like to criticize and stay aloof to watch things with the hope that an angel will come from heaven to put things right. If we so much dislike this obvious anomaly that the President is handicapped to correct, why can't we just match to the NASS, sack all of them (at least Tunisians have shown us how to do it) and request that the President channel the whole of NASS budget to Education? If this is difficult for us to do, then we should keep our mouth shut!

Abi, is it now GEJ's fault that we have over 400 members of NASS? Is it his fault that we run a bicamera legislature copied from the US? Was he the one that wrote the constitution? Some arguments on NL can be so annoying!
Re: The President Has A Ph.D, But I think he has Low IQ by arty: 5:23pm On Jan 19, 2011
hw did you know did u guyz skool togeda

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Special Forces - Video / Channels TV Sunrise Daily Moderators Are Novice!!!! / The Orator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.