Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,824 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! (10990 Views)

ISIS Accepts To Join Forces With Boko Haram / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN / ACN To GEJ- Fire Okupe And Apologize To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Gbawe: 11:21am On Jan 20, 2011
http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10487:cpc-acn-may-sign-deal-friday&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

CPC, ACN may sign deal Friday .
Thursday, 20 January 2011 00:00 Lawal Ibrahim, Katsina & Abbas Jimoh    .59

General Muhammadu Buhari

The Congress for Progressive Change [CPC] and the Action Congress of Nigeria [ACN] have concluded arrangements to sign a memorandum of understating [MOU] in Abuja tomorrow which is meant to field a joint presidential candidate in the general election of April.

Daily Trust learnt from high level sources on both sides that almost all the tricky details in talks which started some few months back have been resolved and the final meeting for the alliance is going be held in Abuja tomorrow where both parties will officially sign a working agreement towards the election. At tomorrow’s meeting, both parties will present their final submissions after which the pact will be signed, the sources said.

Earlier reports indicated that the alliance has already agreed to support the presidential candidate of the CPC General Muhammadu Buhari on the joint presidential ticket while the ACN provides the running mate. A source confirmed that some areas of friction had earlier stalled the process but were mutually resolved during the last meeting. He said it was now unanimously agreed that Muhammadu Buhari will become the presidential flag bearer, though under his CPC but with a joint mandate.

Though former Lagos State governor Ahmed Bola Tinubu has initially been touted as the possible running mate, Daily Trust learnt that certain political intrigues and calculations came to the fore, and it is unclear whether he has backed out or not.

However, a source said the names of former governor of Anambra State Dr. Chris Ngige, former Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as well as that of Pastor Tunde Bakare were being pushed by some strong interest groups.

Daily Trust learnt that some religious groups met with General Buhari in Kaduna on Monday over the candidature of Pastor Bakare.

A source close to former Lagos State governor Ahmed Bola Tinubu who has been leading the ACN side in the talks said he [Tinubu] is in support of the pact with the CPC and, in fact, encouraging the consummation of the deal.

Daily Trust learnt that tomorrow’s meeting is the fallout of the last meeting of leaders of the two sides held in Lagos on January 11, 2011 where critical issues related to the agreement were sorted out.

He confirmed that the two had come to the realisation that they needed each other to win the presidential election, especially against the current state of the ruling party, which is sharply divided by the zoning arrangement of the party.

The source revealed that alliance talks were earlier put on hold due to the rush by all parties to conclude their primaries in order to meet with INEC deadlines and also resolve various crises that emanated in both parties during the primaries.

The ACN has already fielded former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission [EFCC] Malam Nuhu Ribadu after advising former governor of Sokoto State Alhaji Attahiru Bafarawa and another aspirant to step aside. Sources said the ACN leadership did that based on fears that Bafarawa may not agree to step down after the talks with CPC. But the leaders were said to be confident that Ribadu shares a similar ideological disposition with Buhari and could agree in the circumstance to withdraw. Political parties have up to the end of this month to submit their candidates to INEC.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Akanbiedu(m): 12:24pm On Jan 20, 2011
Good news at last. I can't wait for the PDP to get the fvck out of power.

Under this arrangement, I am sure Nigerians will forget sectional interests before the end of four years. then we can really talk about building Nigeria.

Nigeria no go spoil
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Abagworo(m): 12:41pm On Jan 20, 2011
Both Buhari and the available running mates are credible.I will register tomorrow because I have seen signs of a possible good aspirant.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 20, 2011
This is the best news I have read in 2011. In fact, I was about writing a piece for papers: ACN, CPC, what's up?
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jan 20, 2011
Tunde Bakare would have been his best bet, but the Yoruba factor may become an issue. Okonjo Iweala will be a good choice.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by nduchucks: 12:49pm On Jan 20, 2011
To put the icing on the cake, this coalition must bring APGA and possibly ANPP into the fold. If CPC, ACN, APGA, and ANPP field only one candidate, I'm confident that PDP will be defeated.  sai one Nijeria
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Akanbiedu(m): 1:06pm On Jan 20, 2011
^^^^

Yeah APGA must be brought into the fold. Take our country back from the hawks. they don't even respect us anymore.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Gbawe: 1:16pm On Jan 20, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Good news at last. I can't wait for the PDP to get the fvck out of power.

Under this arrangement, I am sure Nigerians will forget sectional interests before the end of four years. then we can really talk about building Nigeria.

Nigeria no go spoil

What you write here is solid gold . We have not moved forward because of compromised leaders who have no sincerity, integrity or political will. Buhari is certainly not compromised and we all know he has integrity and is sincere. I want him to step down for Ribadu but if Ribadu himself feels that sacrificing his ambition is what is best for Nigeria (as the last chapter of the article suggest) then all who want the PDP out , including fans of Ribadu , should get behind Buhari.

Many things will happen under a sincere Government that will make Nigerians , wherever they are from , happy, united and optimistic again. I laugh when folks , as if suffering from amnesia, keep asking for a candidates plans as if laudable plans , that transpire into nada , have ever been in short supply in Nigeria. For the absence of doubt , what Nigeria needs is a sincere President with unshakeable political will who , when approached with good initiatives from our many brilliant technocrats, will ensure decisions are taken based on what is best for Nigeria . We have seen in the past 12 years that PDP Presidents cannot , and will not, take decisions based on what is best for Nigeria. Let us not forget the broadside Hilary Clinton fired at the PDP-led Nigeria when she stated recently that Nigerian leaders can do what is right but they prefer not to.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Gbawe: 1:20pm On Jan 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

To put the icing on the cake, this coalition must bring APGA and possibly ANPP into the fold. If CPC, ACN, APGA, and ANPP field only one candidate, I'm confident that PDP will be defeated. sai one Nijeria

Agree 100% . Those who love Nigeria should now eschew selfish ambition to kick out the PDP. All of us will move closer to getting what we want under a sincere Government. It is as simple as that.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by johndoe200: 1:30pm On Jan 20, 2011
If only elections in Nigeria were won on the internet and on the pages of newspapers, I am sure that you all would be rejoicing in May.

Sadly on the ground WE ARE THERE!!!. No fancy articles, no long pointless debates. Just good old fashion performance and connection with the people.

Buhari will win in the south? I DEY LAUGH.

Come 2015, the same people will be singing the same song - This time we will do it.

GEJ is the man of the moment and nothing is going to stop it.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Akanbiedu(m): 1:49pm On Jan 20, 2011
johndoe200:

If only elections in Nigeria were won on the internet and on the pages of newspapers, I am sure that you all would be rejoicing in May.

Sadly on the ground WE ARE THERE!!!. No fancy articles, no long pointless debates. Just good old fashion performance and connection with the people.

Buhari will win in the south? I DEY LAUGH.

Come 2015, the same people will be singing the same song - This time we will do it.

GEJ is the man of the moment and nothing is going to stop it.

What is it about being on the ground? can somebody help me please
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Hodaya(m): 2:00pm On Jan 20, 2011
Best news of 2011 so far.

They should also try to avoid making such mistakes PDP made when they came up with the idea of zoning. Reasonable, logical and realistic agreements must be made in clear terms to protect both party's interests because if not it'll only be a matter of time before we witness another case about zoning again and this might lead to the download of this alliance capable of making PDP taste their ever defeat in presidential elections in Nigeria,
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 20, 2011
yay!

save naija collabo!!!

cheesy

and you wonder why we call team gej zombies

akala must have given this one a taxi cab cheesy cheesy
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jan 20, 2011
@ Johndoe, help me tell dem.
@ all, conduct a personal poll (of about 20 people) on their prefered presidential candidate btw GEJ and Buhari and bring the result back to this thread so we can know and pls tell us the area you conducted it
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jan 20, 2011
careytommy:

@ Johndoe, help me tell dem.
@ all, conduct a personal poll (of about 20 people) on their prefered presidential candidate btw GEJ and Buhari and bring the result back to this thread so we can know and pls tell us the area you conducted it
If you conduct it in any state in NW, I'm sure you will have 19-1 at least in favour of Buhari. Talk of teh area you know only. You obviously dont know the raging sentiment in the core North.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by naso2(m): 3:32pm On Jan 20, 2011
Jarus:

If you conduct it in any state in NW, I'm sure you will have 19-1 at least in favour of Buhari. Talk of teh area you know only. You obviously dont know the raging sentiment in the core North.

Make we dey watch na.

Buhari is more popular in NW and NE. NC is 50-50% infact GEJ has an edge here. But in the entire south , with or without ACN , GEJ is far ahead of buhari.

Besides , is the merger for presidential election alone? if not, how will ACN manage telling their voters to vote CPC for one election and ACN for another?

we still dey watch and laugh too .
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Gbawe: 4:01pm On Jan 20, 2011
na_so:

Make we dey watch na.

Buhari is more popular in NW and NE. NC is 50-50% infact GEJ has an edge here. But in the entire south , with or without ACN , GEJ is far ahead of buhari.

Besides , is the merger for presidential election alone? if not, how will ACN manage telling their voters to vote CPC for one election and ACN for another?
we still dey watch and laugh too .

It is highly feasible. The CPC and ACN have very different power bases and that would even be especially useful if the Parties align to field one Presidential candidate and different candidates fo other positions. Both Parties , for now , are stronger and more influential in their region even as they both have 'visible' Nigerians as Presidential candidates. The CPC , for example, is unlikely to expect their candidate to give Fashola a run for his money in Lagos and , in fact, the notion of an alliance may extend to other positions more easily than one may think. A CPC candidate , for example , who knows he cannot win in an SW state against an established ACN incumbent may actually motivate his supporters to work for the candidate of their sister Party vice versa. issues of 'adequate' rewards/compensations can be worked out.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by apoti(m): 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2011
I hope this deal does not backfire on ACN in SW undecided
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Gbawe: 4:28pm On Jan 20, 2011
apoti:

I hope this deal does not backfire on ACN in SW undecided

How ?
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by spade: 4:38pm On Jan 20, 2011
Hmmm. I hope their interests and egos don't get the best of them at the start of crunch time.
All the same, it's a lovely development. Atleast, we'd be given the luxury of choice between the ruling party and the opposition, hey? I support this fully.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 20, 2011

That may be true for candidate Buhari, but if AC/CPC come together and AC work for Buhari in the SW, this, to me, will be the permutation:

ACN/CPC(Buhari)     PDP(GEJ)         Others                  Note                    
NW           80                      10              10       10 in others likely to come ANPP thru Yerima & Shekarau factors in Kano&Zamfara                                                              
NE            65                      30                5        Votes for parties other than these two will be very neglgible here, but Modu Sheriff factor may help ANPP garner few
NC            40                      60                -         Plateau, Benue, are easily PDP's, but AC is expected to put strong showing in Kwara, plus anti-GEJ votes in Niger    
SW           60                      35                5        If Tinubu, Aregbesola and co put their weight behind ACN/CPC, they can swing almost SW AC states to ACN/CPC
SE              5                      80               15     The 15% here may come from APGA. If APGA doesn't filed presidential candidate, whoever they support can claim that 15
SS              5                      90                5        This is GEJ's strongest zone, but if Oshiomole works for his party, AC/CPC may curry Edo
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by naso2(m): 5:16pm On Jan 20, 2011
Jarus:

That may be true for candidate Buhari, but if AC/CPC come together and AC work for Buhari in the SW, this, to me, will be the permutation:

ACN/CPC(Buhari) PDP(GEJ) Others Note
NW 80 10 10 10 in others likely to come ANPP thru Yerima & Shekarau factors in Kano&Zamfara
NE 65 30 5 Votes for parties other than these two will be very neglgible here, but Modu Sheriff factor may help ANPP garner few
NC 40 60 - Plateau, Benue, are easily PDP's, but AC is expected to put strong showing in Kwara, plus anti-GEJ votes in Niger
SW 60 35 5 If Tinubu, Aregbesola and co put their weight behind ACN/CPC, they can swing almost SW AC states to ACN/CPC
SE 5 80 15 The 15% here may come from APGA. If APGA doesn't filed presidential candidate, whoever they support can claim that 15
SS 5 90 5 This is GEJ's strongest zone, but if Oshiomole works for his party, AC/CPC may curry Edo

Our area of contention is SW.

May be you need to ask around , here in Lagos. Even if ACN has total control of lagos, I can authoritatively tell you GEJ cannot lose here. A lot of people that will vote ACN for governorship and federal/state houses will never choose Buhari ahead of GEJ.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by dayokanu(m): 11:18pm On Jan 20, 2011
na_so:

Make we dey watch na.

we still dey watch and laugh too

The same way the AD/ANPP allinace worked in 1999 Where Falae/Shinkafi ran under the ANPP but the AD still won all SW states and APP won the North West
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by KaluAkanu: 11:29pm On Jan 20, 2011
I agree with some of the previous comments. APGA must be brought into the fold as well in order to defeat PDP. Even though I really like GEJ.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by manuch(m): 11:44pm On Jan 20, 2011
.Each P.D.P governor has to deliver his state so forget all these permutations . GEJ don win .
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Gbawe: 11:50pm On Jan 20, 2011
Kalu Akanu:

I agree with some of the previous comments. APGA must be brought into the fold as well in order to defeat PDP. Even though I really like GEJ.

I hope every effort will be made to bring in the APGA  . All hands will be needed on deck to bounce the PDP. The APGA were talking to the ACN previously towards the end of 2010 (see below) with a view to field Ribadu as a common candidate. I am sure those talks can be resurrected now that the Presidential candidates are known. The notion of all good Nigerians coming together to oust the PDP , even if for regional interests, is long overdue.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201010234273920

Presidential poll: ACN, APGA may field Ribadu   By Niyi Odebode and Fidelis Soriwei, Abuja    
Saturday, 23 Oct 2010  

The All Progressives Grand and the Action Congress of Nigeria have commenced talks aimed at mobilising progressives to support the presidential ambition of the former Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Chairman, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
Investigations by SATURDAY PUNCH showed that the two parties were favourably disposed to fielding Ribadu as their presidential candidate in 2011.
It was learnt that a new group, the Patriotic Electoral Alliance of Nigeria, consisting of 46 political parties, had set up a committee that would produce the criteria for picking a joint presidential candidate.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by jason123: 11:59pm On Jan 20, 2011
Kalu Akanu:

For once, I agree with you. Even if there is aN ACN/ CPC collaboration, they would still need APGA to foster a national political party. ACN needs to step down and play the game.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by dayokanu(m): 12:29am On Jan 21, 2011
Then whats in the alliance for the ACN (When the SW is their strongest base).

How do you convince SWesterners to vote for outsiders. What does that type of ticket hold for ACN

CPC produce Buhari, the VP must be from the ACN to make this work
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Eziachi: 12:40am On Jan 21, 2011
manuch:

.Each P.D.P governor  has to deliver his state so forget  all these permutations . GEJ don win .

There is a different here. The voters are not their party delegates, unless you meant election rigging. A governor has only one vote.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by kcjazz(m): 1:00am On Jan 21, 2011
I would prefer Ribadu on the ticket but with Buhari's full support. This is a national service. With the violence in Jos, it would be difficult to sway enough southerners away from the false notion that Buhari is a religious bigot.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Kilode1: 2:10am On Jan 21, 2011
oyb:

yay!

and you wonder why we call team gej zombies

akala must have given this one a taxi cab cheesy cheesy

ROFL, Walahi, oyb is evil  grin grin cheesy

ndu_chucks:

To put the icing on the cake, this coalition [b]must bring APGA and possibly ANPP into the fold. [/b] If CPC, ACN, APGA, and ANPP field only one candidate, I'm confident that PDP will be defeated. sai one Nijeria

I agree. It will still be tough to convince the east w/o an easterner on the ticket though. But it may not matter at the end of the day.
Re: CPC And ACN To Join Forces- Deal May Be Signed Tomorrow ! by Nobody: 2:13am On Jan 21, 2011
My skin is inching me, does anyone have any antibiotic?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Amaechi Says Rivers Governorship To Rotate Among Ethnic Group / Why Kaduna And Kano Combined Is More Developed Than The Southeast / Enough Is Enough On Children’s Abductions – Northern Elders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.