Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

How Do I Install Programs On Linux Environment - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do I Install Programs On Linux Environment (882 Views)

Configure Starcomms Usb Modem On Linux / How Do I Install Xp On A Sata Hard Drive / Please How Do I Install And Use Aircrack On Linux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Install Programs On Linux Environment by ovince(m): 5:11pm On Jun 11, 2007
Please how do I install programs on LINUX, i use Ubuntu, and after downloading, I cannot install them. I tried using RPMs but i couldn't get the commands right. Can u help.

Thanks
Re: How Do I Install Programs On Linux Environment by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:36pm On Jun 11, 2007
hi, u dont need RPM's u have a lot of options, look for a program called synaptics or add/remove programs or visit packages.ubuntu.com
good luck and welcome to the world of freedom
Re: How Do I Install Programs On Linux Environment by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:57pm On Jun 11, 2007
in short this article is for u http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware the go on to read the rest. its a complete guide not only installing programs but pimping your system also
Re: How Do I Install Programs On Linux Environment by Ralvy(m): 7:08pm On Jul 19, 2007
@topic:
You need to download Linux installation files ofcrz.most of them are freeware. Altho' I have a collection of them that I got from a frend, I just use the synaptics option to add the entire cd and almost every file you open becomes supported on linux,

@you:
You may be running Ubuntu 6.06LTS that does not support most of the freewatr applications available for download. I'll advise you to upgrade to 6.10 or 7.10. Although 6.10 is not available for free, you'll need to download it from the ubuntu site as an iso. file and burn the cd image to make it bootable. I make these cds.
Re: How Do I Install Programs On Linux Environment by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 26, 2007
@Ralvy:
Ubuntu 6.06LTS actually supports more freeware applications, thanks to the Ubuntu backports project. Ubuntu have prmised to support it for the next 3 years, that's why it LTS. All that needs to be done is to add the universe and multiverse sections for the repositories in his apt sources.list file, and you'll get access to the over 18,000+ packages available.
Re: How Do I Install Programs On Linux Environment by Ralvy(m): 2:55pm On Jul 26, 2007
bh he can upgrade instead, can't he??

(1) (Reply)

Bluetooth Wireless Networking / Video To Ipod Converter / Webcam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.