Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,462 members, 7,801,153 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:37 AM

Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad (13060 Views)

How I make my millions and How To Handle Business Start Up/ Business Management / Cement Business - Start It I Can Help (by Dangote Distributor) / Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by aminalib(f): 5:50am On Jan 24, 2011
I am wondering if anyone has started their own business for little or no cost to them, how and what did you do, what are other businesses that someone can do in the USA that is profitable?
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by dayokanu(m): 5:51am On Jan 24, 2011
Nice thread amina.

lets get people on here and share ideas.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by aminalib(f): 5:51am On Jan 24, 2011
thanks man, so have u thought of any ideas
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by dayokanu(m): 5:56am On Jan 24, 2011
Tow trucks.

Hair Salon

Drycleaning

These might not need much specialized certifications and these are not dependent on the economy rather they are dependent on location cos regardless of what people must still go for these kind of services
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by aminalib(f): 5:57am On Jan 24, 2011
that is true, when i think of starting business here in the states i do not come up with much , i always feel someone has already done it or will do it better embarassed
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by dayokanu(m): 5:59am On Jan 24, 2011
For businesses, I believe it needs your presence, I think since I am in the US it makes more sense to locate the biz somewhere here or closeby.

In AFrica you can make a lot of money on business ideas but you have to be physically present
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by aminalib(f): 6:01am On Jan 24, 2011
100% agree
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Nobody: 6:02am On Jan 24, 2011
aminalib:

that is true, when i think of starting business here in the states i do not come up with much , i always feel someone has already done it or will do it better embarassed

I am in the same boat. There is too much competition here and ideas become redundant. Brainstorming and actually having a "base" in the states is a must however the actual projects should definitely be executed abroad

For example I part of a program that deals with mentoring troubled youth and we are based here in North Carolina with sister programs and other locations but we do our fundraising locally and nationally and then have major projects outside of the country which is pretty cool.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Gboliwe: 6:06am On Jan 24, 2011
Is it just in the US? Please lets broaden it a bit to accomodate Nigeria as well. I'l definitely benefit from opinions
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by aminalib(f): 6:10am On Jan 24, 2011
ok let's broaden it, u are very right
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by dayokanu(m): 6:11am On Jan 24, 2011
MZSkin,

It seems as if you are tilted towards the charity line, I am most for profit. I like money too much embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed.

I tried researching on franchise for major food outlets like Quiznoz, Subway etc and it costs a arm and a leg.

Do you have a Ghenghis grill in your area? It might be a good idea
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by aminalib(f): 6:14am On Jan 24, 2011
u know quinznos is going out of business,
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by MrsChima(f): 6:17am On Jan 24, 2011
Businesses like nursing care, child care, food service, hotel service, and vocational training schools are never out of source because these are high demand services.  

Now if you are into specialty you will find less competition with other competitors and you must have a competitive advantage as well that what make your business stand out.  Many businesses are diversifying because the competition is too much to risk.  

For example, Mickey D is always introducing new product to their line to have a leg up in competitive advantage.  So whatever business that you opening or brainstorming think of a specialty that will make your brand stand out.  Make sure your brand can grow as well.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Nobody: 6:18am On Jan 24, 2011
I hope ppl on here with the same ideas will network. That is actually the best way to set up shop.

@Dayo, I am all about charity and making green  wink That is my point to have a career oriented around social work/development (make money) and to create organizations designed to help at the same time; 2 for 1. Lot's of ppl do it.

Creating businesses/opening franchises even to other nations will create jobs for the citizens and even allow me to have a lil something something in my pocket is also a good idea.

I am still a college student, and I am still looking @ my options. I do see myself doing charity work and also having a career that is in the same field basically.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by MrsChima(f): 6:19am On Jan 24, 2011
My husband also working with his relatives in Nigeria to do an export/import auto business.  I did some research with my husband and found out that you can make more money selling cars in Africa than you do in America which is sad.  

You can sell an used car for fraction of the price you purchased the car for.  He want to establish a trusting eye on the Nigeria shore before starting the export/import business.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by dayokanu(m): 6:28am On Jan 24, 2011
Mrs Chima,

Make sure your husband research the Nigerian auto import business well before he dives into it, There are a lot of people already into the business, Check the auto section of NL alone and see the number of people that import cars from the US.

When importing from the US from e.g Texas, th closest Ro-ro service is in Galveston and the cost of Ro-ro is about 1,300. Cost of clearing a normal vehicle in Nigeria is about 250,000 which is about 1,700.

So before factoring the cost of purchase, you have already incurred about $3,000 expenses on the car. So even if you buy a car in the US for $5,000 you must sell for over $8,000 to make any profit. Now go and research the auto section and see how much they are offering these cars for.

Also previously ppl used to buy cars from the auction maybe accidented fix it here and ship it to Nigeria as clean, But now many people are now getting carfax report in Nigeria and can know the vehicle history. Just check the car section

Recently the Nigeria govt now allows Cars from 15yrs upwards also you have to factor the fact that many ppl import cars through Cotonou-Benin Republic
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by aminalib(f): 6:31am On Jan 24, 2011
i have a friend in boston who sells used cars to alot of people who ship them to africa, he has recently contacted me stating that we should be partners, hmmm
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by MrsChima(f): 6:39am On Jan 24, 2011
Day,

Of course, my husband's family are the ones that are doing the auto export/import. He will be working with the family members that are already in the business.

I told my husband that we should focus on the family leisure business and child care as a start up and work our way up. I will be doing other things that will bring money into the house as well. I have a few things lined up just waiting on the contract to finalized then it is a go.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Nobody: 6:46am On Jan 24, 2011
I own a well-established Software Enterprise. Apart from day-to-day consulting, we've created and published some games of our own on the Apple iPhone.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by MrsChima(f): 6:46am On Jan 24, 2011
My husband and I will start a business in Ghana as our first International business idea and then move across Africa planting several businesses all over West Africa.  We will focus on the ECOWAS regions first and then branch out if the businesses are well.  

Vacation homes/apartments are a must in West Africa because of tourism.  We do not want to invest in hotels because we want people to be able to live in residence without feeling like a outsider.  I stayed in a guest home until the family cussed me out because they said family members stay at other family homes.  I did not understand why I couldn't just stay in a guest home where I had privacy.  

Nobody wanna schedule humping around snores.  I know TMI.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by ShyOne(f): 6:46am On Jan 24, 2011
OK Guys:

Hybrid Organizations is a specialty of mine as well.

You can open a nonprofit that is the umbrella organization for "for profit businesses" - you can get grants to assist in funding - U catch my drift?
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by ShyOne(f): 6:47am On Jan 24, 2011
Dayo:

The resale of Cars was "no older than 10 years" when did it become "no older than 15 years"? Please advise.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by ShyOne(f): 6:51am On Jan 24, 2011
Also - I have connected my business here in the U.S. with my fiancee's business in Lagos - we are now connected and will have websites up and running as well. He does similar area work - he is in graphics, training, leadership, audio/video presentation - I am word processsing, software training, teaching, leadership, edt/proof, agent representation, audio/video representation - and other areas that generate, work with these items.

My business pulls U.S. Clients to Him and His Pulls Nigerian Clients to me - circular - and so far it has been "off the charts" good.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by ShyOne(f): 6:54am On Jan 24, 2011
2buff:

I own a well-established Software Enterprise. Apart from day-to-day consulting, we've created and published some games of our own on the Apple iPhone.

I am very impressed - I would like to hear more about this please.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by dayokanu(m): 7:14am On Jan 24, 2011
Shy-One:

Dayo:

The resale of Cars was "no older than 10 years" when did it become "no older than 15 years"? Please advise.

I think it was late last yr
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by ShyOne(f): 7:23am On Jan 24, 2011
Dayo:

Thank you - that was VERY VERY good to know

especially the ro-ro

we looked into ro-ro out of NJ and Florida

The rates are comparable to Galveston

U have been a wealth of information
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jan 24, 2011
Shy-One:

I am very impressed - I would like to hear more about this please.

Sure. ping me on yahoo.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:00pm On Jan 24, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

My husband and I will start a business in Ghana as our first International business idea and then move across Africa planting several businesses all over West Africa.  We will focus on the ECOWAS regions first and then branch out if the businesses are well.  

Vacation homes/apartments are a must in West Africa because of tourism.  We do not want to invest in hotels because we want people to be able to live in residence without feeling like a outsider.  I stayed in a guest home until the family cussed me out because they said family members stay at other family homes.  I did not understand why I couldn't just stay in a guest home where I had privacy.  

Nobody wanna schedule humping around snores.  I know TMI.  

Mrs. Chima

Check this site www.makeitnigeria.com

i think your kinda of idea has been invested into big time in Nigeria and if you check it very well they are extending their services to Ghana.

It is a good business as you have said but if you are going to invest in it,do it in a big way,nice beautiful and make the publicity known to all Africans in diapora.

you can make it for sure.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by ShyOne(f): 9:14pm On Jan 24, 2011
2buff:

Sure. ping me on yahoo.

What does "ping me" mean?
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 24, 2011
Shy-One:

What does "ping me" mean?

My Yahoo ID is on my profile. It's how I link with people from NL outside of NL.
I don't fancy posting much of my business info on a forum.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by ShyOne(f): 9:29pm On Jan 24, 2011
2buff:

My Yahoo ID is on my profile. It's how I link with people from NL outside of NL.
I don't fancy posting much of my business info on a forum.

ohhh that is what ping means

ummm - ok

well I need to run out for a bit and will be back and will ping you either tonight or tomorrow - is that ok? and when are u available this evening or tomorrow? We are different time frames so if you give me a time specify if it is my time or your time.
Re: Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jan 24, 2011
Sure. We're not that far off timewise.
I'm usually on during the late evenings so anytime around then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gold2naira E-Currency Exchange Customers Support Thread / 32 Ships Laden With Petroleum Products, Food Items, To Arrive Lagos Ports / With 1,200,000 Which Legit Business Can I Start In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.