Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Rise And Fall Of The Nigerian Stock Market - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Rise And Fall Of The Nigerian Stock Market (1385 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Website For Analysing The Nigerian Stock Market? / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rise And Fall Of The Nigerian Stock Market by fxmaster(m): 12:21pm On Jun 12, 2007
as the popular saying goes everything that goes up must come down .lol.at least not considering the nigerian factor.of recent we ve witnessed atstounding rise in the share prices of the major sectors of companies listed on the NSE.they keep rissing and their IPO's are mostly oversubscribed.were r wee heading?most nigerians are now jumping on the band wagon investing huge sums of money in these companies and getting ample returns.is the bubble gonna burst?take a very good case scenario on the chinese stock exchange where prices kept on rising at an astronomical rate,and at one point there was over a 100,000 new investors daily and most of them were first timers.the chinese government then imposed tax on the puchase of stock and on the profit generated from the sales of such stock so as to reduce the alarming risin and kool down the stock market cos it may simply overheat and will definately have drastic effect on the fast growing chinese economy.the market then witnessed drop in the share prices of its indices and the result was felt around the asian countries and the globe.so taking the nigerian case are we haeding for a breakdown?when will the FG step in with some obnoxious policies on imposing taxes on share prices like they did in increasing VAT?Nigerians be very alert.things can certainly go the other way.for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction,so the market cant keep going up,it will definately come down.
Re: Rise And Fall Of The Nigerian Stock Market by Lagoschic: 12:23pm On Jun 12, 2007
i agree with you but everything in life is a risk
Re: Rise And Fall Of The Nigerian Stock Market by joshO: 2:40pm On Jun 12, 2007
There will be increased regulation and more taxes in the future. But that time is certainly not now. The Nigerian capital market is still a fraction of China's and not even as big as South Africa's. The size of the market will have to grow 5 fold and other instruments will need to be introduced, and we're likely to see a slowdown rather than a crash,

Having said that, I fear the goverment may re-introduce capital gains tax before the end of this Yar'Adua's goverment.

So the time to make your money in the Stock Market is definitely now.
Re: Rise And Fall Of The Nigerian Stock Market by hbrednic: 4:58pm On Jun 12, 2007
@fxmaster
relax the dooms day for the nse is not for now.
like josho said,the market is still very far from reach its cap. over 90% of nigerians are still left out of the market cos of lack of infor
or for disinterset.there is room for sustained growth,but i fear that the banking sector will in the near future start to cool off,many other sectors are still domant awaiting for a take off.
join the band wagon now or
Re: Rise And Fall Of The Nigerian Stock Market by egoldman(m): 8:28pm On Jun 13, 2007
I will keep worrying about making money on the NSE , meanwhile keep worrying about the doomsday , when u finaly see it ( which in niger case must be long time ) then let me .

(1) (Reply)

Can Any Serious Investor, Invest,in My Idea. / What Secure Business Can I Invest 2million Without Much Supervision / Sure 3 Odd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.