Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,925 members, 7,806,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

Write To Win N250,000 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Write To Win N250,000 (1161 Views)

BECOME LANDLORD WITH N350,000 (XMAS PROMO N250,000 ENDING 19TH DEC) 07068198049 / BECOME LANDLORD WITH N350,000 (XMAS PROMO N250,000 ENDING 19TH DEC) 07068198049 / Write To Earn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Write To Win N250,000 by newbrew: 6:39am On Jan 25, 2011
NEW BREW MEDIA PRESENTS A SHORT STORY COMPETITION. IN 4,000 WORDS WRITE A WORK OF FICTION IN ANY GENRE. 1ST PRIZE N250,000; 2ND PRIZE N150,000; 3RD PRIZE N100,000.

SEE WEBSITE FOR DETAILS - WWW.NEWBREWMEDIA.COM
Re: Write To Win N250,000 by newbrew: 2:03pm On Jan 25, 2011
The competition is aimed at harnessing talent of Nigerians who have the potential, but not the opportunity to write. The best of Nigerian talent is expected and wonderful stories too, able to stand internationally, and perhaps win more than a cash prize

And perhaps win recognition and honor.

Deadline is 31st April 2011
Re: Write To Win N250,000 by efeski(m): 11:12am On Jan 28, 2011
makes sense
but why do we have to pay, d creative workshops fidelity bank and farafina organises annually are virtually free to enter and shortlisted participants stand to gain more than mere cash rewards
pls get ur act right
Re: Write To Win N250,000 by newbrew: 10:47pm On Jan 28, 2011
Dear Efeski,

Your concern is duly noted and it is my wish that the competition be free. With the combined factors of the Nigerian economy and preceding competitions, N3,800 might seem unnecessarily steep, right?

Wrong. In most international competitions (short stories and film scripts which I have done my research on and participated in), the organizations request for entry fees, most times for prizes less than $1000. So internationally, it is not an anomaly, given the standard we are setting.

The standard for this competition is going to be really high so, N3,800 will make the writer think deeper and create a more unique story. Human psychology dictates that whatever is free is not appreciated unless removed from him. Ergo, you put in more effort for a project you invest in than one that is free.

Also, you compared us with Farafina and Fidelity. I could also add Intercontinental Bank Plc which gave out a cash prize of N1m for a write up on Nigeria's 50th Anniversary.

If you notice, there is no 'sponsor' like the organizations mentioned above. Therefore, we cannot afford the huge prizes that banks (who have your money in the first place) offer. The total sum of fees expected does not cover the cost of starting up this project, as we had to beat it down to what people can afford.

Instead, this is just a group of people who have the courage to recognize that we can light a fire in people's hearts that will burn through to the next generation; that we can redirect the Nigerian mind to think; not about what the country can do for you but what you can do for your country.

What New Brew Media represents is a vision, a purpose, the power to mould men of the future. I ask you to see what I see, where Nigerians can go. That we have got all that we need to succeed is not the issue. It is the ability to focus your psyche on the right path like a magnifying lens under the sun.

And my dear Efeski, we have got our act together. We will definitely make it free, in time.

Thank you for echoing a question many would have had and giving us the opportunity to explain.

Sincerely,

NewBrew.
Re: Write To Win N250,000 by chigo4u: 9:17am On Jan 29, 2011
Alright newbreed. we are still here. when you make it free, we, sorry many will be willing to participate. you talked about international contest and charges, remember that all professional, credible and big paying writing contests world over are all free to enter and 3800? ridiculous if i may say. but this is not to get on your nerves just my 2 cents. the project stands to gain a lot if it is free or affordable, including publicity and sponsorship. all the same good luck to you guys and have a nice day.
Re: Write To Win N250,000 by newbrew: 11:59am On Jan 29, 2011
Your advice is highly appreciated ma.

Consequently, the contest has been postponed until the issues are resolved. We promise to bring it back better and friendlier.

Sincerely,

New Brew Media Team
Re: Write To Win N250,000 by zibby(m): 12:32am On Feb 02, 2011
Something isn't right here.  I detect the distinct smell of a big fat rat angry
Re: Write To Win N250,000 by newbrew: 4:39am On Feb 02, 2011
No rat here. Just trying to do the right thing. The website will be up soon.

Thank you.

New Brew Media team

(1) (Reply)

Joshua Attends New School / The Correlation Between Creativity And Mental Illness / Short Story : Lust's Lost To Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.