Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,220 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d (6358 Views)

Former FCT Minister, Bala Mohammed’s 25yr Old Son, Abdullahi, Buys N800m Spo / Pension Scam: Abia Suspends Treasury Officers’ Salaries / Pension Scam: I Made N82m Selling "Pure Water" - Mrs Veronica Ulonma Onyegbula (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by awardeez: 2:30am On Jan 26, 2011
A Deputy Director of Finance in the Federal Civil Service, Mrs. Piana Chidi, has been arrested in Abuja by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission as a result of an alleged N800m found in her bank account.

Another reason for her arrest was the alleged role she played in an organised syndicate that defrauds the Federal Government monthly through a ghost pension scheme.

It was gathered that Chidi was arrested last Saturday at Sheraton Hotel, Abuja at about 8pm, having gone into hiding as her other colleagues had been apprehended.

While she currently works in the Ministry of Transport, the scam for which she is being quizzed was allegedly perpetrated at the office of the Head of Service of the Federation, where she had served as a deputy director.

A breakdown of the cash in her bank account showed that she had N500m in local currency and $2m (N300m).

The suspect is one of the six persons who have been in the custody of the EFCC since Saturday and being quizzed for their alleged roles in a pension fraud rocking federal ministries.

Other suspects being detained are: Messrs Danjuma Bako-Wasa, Luke Eloanyi, M.A. Abdalla, Aliyu Bello and Grace Francis.

Investigation by the anti-graft body revealed that Bako-Wasa was bearing Haruna Megida, with which he operated a different bank account.

Under one year, Megida allegedly paid about N21m into one bank account, just as N8m was discovered in another bank account that also belonged to him.

Similarly, the commission has traced N12m to Francis’ account, while Eloanyi, who is a confidential secretary, allegedly has N13m in his account.

A total of 141,970 pensioners are said to be on the Federal Government’s payroll monthly; whereas less than 90,000 pensioners have been verified, while 34,000 are believed to be ghost pensioners.

An operative of the EFCC told our correspondent that in one instance, 554 ghost pensioners purportedly drew pensions from one account.

The source said, “On Saturday, a Deputy Director of Finance/Accounts, Mrs. Piana Chidi, who was in the office of the Head of Service, was arrested at Sheraton at 8pm.

“By the time we checked her account, we found N500m and $2m in one single account; and she is the sole signatory.

“Prior to her arrest, while our operatives were working on the pensions committee, it was discovered that 141,970 pensioners are on the payroll of the Federal Government; but less than 90,000 pensioners were verified, while 34,000 are ghost workers.”

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201101262383526
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by DisGuy: 2:37am On Jan 26, 2011
So with all the electronic this and that being introduced to get rid of ghost workers these thieves are still stealing money

Shouldn't the head (or former head) of service be questioned too? plus the consultant that worked on the epayment system
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by Nobody: 4:50am On Jan 26, 2011
nawa o!!

I guess there's no more such thing as "working for one's money".
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by ogbongzky(m): 11:30am On Jan 26, 2011
barawo bansa,
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by mbulela: 11:41am On Jan 26, 2011
this is old gist.
everyone knows that federal and state civil services are the most corrupt agencies (parasatals) in Nigeria without exception.
a lawyer who deals with one of the ministries was telling me of deputy directors who own estates.
meanwhile there attitude to work is shameful to say the least.
go for weekend on thursday afternoons and return on monday afternoon or Tuesday (if a director and above).
We have not even talked about the over bloated workforce.
one person opening a file, another signing it and another passing it to the next room.
the political will needed to reform civil service in this country is almost impossible to muster.
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by sessy2(f): 11:46am On Jan 26, 2011
it most be an igbo person. i no know say their women sef don join. no offence pls tongue
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by oge4real(f): 11:56am On Jan 26, 2011
^^^See how tiny your brain is?No ofence pls tongue
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 26, 2011
Another ibo again ? ?

Three threads made it to the frontpage and they all bother on ibo criminality and fraud.na wao
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by sessy2(f): 12:10pm On Jan 26, 2011
[/quote][quote author=oge4real link=topic=592799.msg7606078#msg7606078 date=1296039401]
^^^See how tiny your brain is?No ofence pls tongue
No offence i agree but i don talk my mind lipsrsealed
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by shakara4u(m): 12:19pm On Jan 26, 2011
hehehhehehehehehehe,

lets not look at the ethnic group but the crime,

and their children no go allow friend girl,
this is old gist.
everyone knows that federal and state civil services are the most corrupt agencies (parasatals) in Nigeria without exception.
a lawyer who deals with one of the ministries was telling me of deputy directors who own estates.
go for weekend on thursday afternoons and return on monday afternoon or Tuesday (if a director and above).
one person opening a file, another signing it and another passing it to the next room.
the political will needed to reform civil service in this country is almost impossible to muster.

[b]gbam!!![/b]my papa resign as director,understand exactly what you saying
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by obiora1990(m): 12:22pm On Jan 26, 2011
mbulela, im postin dis jst 2 prove u wrong. My parents had worked in the state civil service 4 avragely 32yrs & 4rm den til nw dey had neva been alleged 2 any fraud,embemzzlement, corruption or  misconduct of any sort. My dad started as a teacher & later manged 2 secure a job @ d states government house where he started as a clerk & kept gettin promotions 2 d level of the head of due proccess & he also had an hononary awarded(JP-meaning justice of peace) 2 him because of his loyalty, genuinity & hardwork. So u cant posibly tel me dat de whole civil service worker ar corrupted. My dad serves wit his strength, his power & his might. My dad is also an unsentimental type dat soley believes meritocracy & so despises bribery. Infact my dad has laid a legacy worth emulating in d field of civil services. So u beta change u derogative thoughts towards civil servant.
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by shakara4u(m): 12:25pm On Jan 26, 2011
go siddon jor, story, you have not seen the ish in civil service,my dad retired as a director(i aint going to defend him)i saw what these people weree doing, just business as usual with the polititcians, well my mum is different though,but let me wait and see what happens when she becomes a director too
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by WackyJ1(m): 12:27pm On Jan 26, 2011
800m. It's not easy o! It shows we still have hard workers
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by Intrepid1(m): 12:39pm On Jan 26, 2011
Kai, see as dem don commot potential sugar mummy from circulation!
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by fuke(m): 12:45pm On Jan 26, 2011
mbulela:

this is old gist.

Spot on.

Whoever argues with this should have his head examined.

For this country to move forward civil service has to be at least halved and professionalized.

They are worse than the police, at least we see the police working.

I was in an office the other day.  There were 10 of them there and 9 were sleeping.

They stink. none of my children would apply for civil service work.
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jan 26, 2011
[size=14pt]That's just 5 out of over a 100,000. cry[/size]
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by Biscute(f): 1:23pm On Jan 26, 2011
Wow she tried ,, Beware of Daughters of Eve,,there is nothing they can not do , if they see way to manipulate God they will. So watch out for more,, FCC Una Weldon .
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by hassymo5(m): 2:02pm On Jan 26, 2011
Pension are been deducted twice where i work, from the abuja (from source)and the account department of my etablishment, since 2004 to date, do something Efcc.
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by POTUT(m): 2:16pm On Jan 26, 2011
it most be an igbo person. i no know say their women sef don join. no offence pls Tongue

@sessy2,
Tell me, if you were in charge of investigating this matter, would you wear this obnoxious ethnic sentiment while reviewing the matter?

@obiora1990,
mbulela didnt say everyone working in the civil service is corrupt. your parents may not have been, but they sure do have peers who did the things they abhorred and such are the category of persons that make the civil service stink. the stench is HORRIBLE.

I went to renew my drivers license at VIO/FRSC office but was made to pay for a new one as my old license was determined to be a fake (i paid my mechanic 5k to get one for me)The cost of a new one is about 3,000 but they will ask you to pay 5,500. A receipt will be issued to you bearing 3,000. When you ask for the difference, they will tell you it is for driving school certificate.

They have a racket in there that provides tonnes of driving school certificates with various names that they issue to the public. You don't need to attend to have it. The school doesn't exist.

When EFCC recovers the money, they will likely enter into a plea bargain and share the money, Next embezzler please, and Naija moves on!!!
You see the problem? There is too much poverty and little opportunity for merit, so everyone needs the money (even the president's wife from crude oil lifters)

HAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAA. shocked sad embarassed
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by DoubleN(m): 2:29pm On Jan 26, 2011
This is just a Fraction of what an average Senator Steals monthly!!
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by Nsiman(m): 2:46pm On Jan 26, 2011
The civil servants are the most corrupt of all. I recall last time i made an affidavit for someone, i paid N600 i was rather given a receipt of N200. I then calculated, suppose he has 10 pple daily multiply by 5 days a week and by 26 working days a month, i was shoked at the result i had.
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by bestsales1: 2:59pm On Jan 26, 2011
now Yoruba don dey carry last, no single yoruba person amongst the 6 thieves, Yorubas na only farm una won dey farm, c'mon, rise up!!!
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by NewAngel(f): 3:23pm On Jan 26, 2011
If na u nko.
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by reubeno(m): 3:38pm On Jan 26, 2011
Civil servant all over the world wallow in corruption, only God will help this Banana republic oooo
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 26, 2011
best_sales:

now Yoruba don dey carry last, no single yoruba person amongst the 6 thieves, Yorubas na only farm una won dey farm, c'mon, rise up!!!
The ibo factor is the only thing that keeps getting some of my folks in trouble. grin
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by freeman4li: 3:50pm On Jan 26, 2011
how could your parent alone will have such amount wile others
in the same job where surfring is it ur happyness stop suporting
your parent when you know the truth [table] cool
[flash=200,200][/flash]
[/table]
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by Xtfield(m): 3:54pm On Jan 26, 2011
Where are the feminists who tell us that Nigeria will be a better place if women have the opportunity of governing us? No doubt they will steal us blind if given the chance. After all what a man can do, a woman can do better.
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by alphabet43(m): 4:42pm On Jan 26, 2011
They should go arrest Babangida and other big fish thieves, the poor masses are just trying to eat. Not that corruption should be condoned from anyone but where are the real big fishes
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by deb(m): 5:04pm On Jan 26, 2011
EFCC should go to Lands and they will be surprised what civil servant are siphoning. Especially the Lagos state chapter.
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by cold(m): 5:34pm On Jan 26, 2011
awardeez:

It was gathered that Chidi was arrested last Saturday at[b] Sheraton Hotel, Abuja [/b]at about 8pm, having gone into hiding as her other colleagues had been apprehended.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201101262383526
She went into hiding in a 5 star hotel,wow shocked

alphabet43:

They should go arrest Babangida and other big fish thieves, the poor masses are just trying to eat. Not that corruption should be condoned from anyone but where are the real big fishes
. . .and i guess a former Deputy Director of finance with 800 million naira in her account is amongst the 'poor masses' you're on about
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by Pennywise(m): 5:55pm On Jan 26, 2011
N800m! Chances are that the husband does not know about this. Usually the man (always stoopid) will tell the wife
Re: Pension Scam: Efcc Discovers N800m In Civil Servant's Account: :d by Pennywise(m): 5:58pm On Jan 26, 2011
Xtfield:

Where are the feminists who tell us that Nigeria will be a better place if women have the opportunity of governing us? No doubt they will steal us blind if given the chance. After all what a man can do, a woman can do better.

Its a thrifty position she occupied. If it was a man you could have safely multiplied that figure by 10. Male northerner? That factor could have been anything

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dickson - People Are Plotting To Destabilise Bayelsa / We Overthrew Buhari Because Of Too Much Frustration In The Society - IBB / Yoruba Needs To Get Rid Of Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.