Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Marriage Should Be Eradicated? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Should Be Eradicated? (2921 Views)

Marriage: Should Husband And Wife Have Secrets / Child Marriage Should Stop!!! / Why Marriage Should Be Held Sacrede (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by Seun(m): 1:43pm On Jun 13, 2007
I stumbled upon a blog post which proudly starts:
With apologies to the two happily married couples I’ve met in my life (one of which recently divorced), the science is clear that marriage is an antiquated social institution that likely deserves to be eradicated.

In the days of yore, there were good reasons for marriage. Social institutions and religions required it, divorce rates were low, families were nuclear, people weren’t as exposed to temptation, and the life-enhancing benefits of a union were real. But marriage has changed considerably… and it’s time we acknowledge those changes.

After explaining his point in detail, the author concludes:
Today’s world is markedly different from worlds past. We are better informed, with more objective knowledge about what’s really happening in our lives. We’ve eradicated small pox, typewriters, and sheepskin condoms… So maybe its time to eradicate an antiquated social institution founded in mythologies and traditions that simply aren’t real or relevant anymore!

http://avanoo./2007/01/20/the-science-is-clear-marriage-should-be-eradicated/

Blasphemy, right? cheesy
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by Islander(f): 1:45pm On Jun 13, 2007
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. food for thought. Let me pounder for a bit. I shall be back,
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by laidback(m): 1:58pm On Jun 13, 2007
The author of the blog has by that post, revealed an inadequate understanding of the psychology of raising balanced, well adjusted children; the relationship btw true happiness as it where and companionship and a lot of other real issues that are far from sheepskin condoms, and other inventions of technology. Besides, a cursory study of falling for the temptation to cheat, would reveal it as an 'ill' by a mind that has any moral values.

do i sound angry? well maybe
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by koko777(m): 2:04pm On Jun 13, 2007
Na wa ooooooooooooooooooo, wonders shall never end. well it depends on individual. my advice is, if u aint sure of ur partner don't go into it with him/her but as per eradication,  NO! NO!! NO!!!
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by edatika(m): 2:13pm On Jun 13, 2007
well, i think he has his point
it is now left for you to agree or disagree

the world is changing, reminds me of Seun's thread about
Will Smith and Jada 's "Open Marriage",
where the couple can "have fun" outside as ong as it's not hiddle from the other

it's a crazy world really,
but some people still enjoy the marriage institution all the same
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by fredrostar(m): 2:28pm On Jun 13, 2007
yeah, seun this blasphemy
if the authur doesn't want to get married, let him/her stay single period.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by Maneater1(f): 2:31pm On Jun 13, 2007
Marriage is an expression of love, respect, trust and faith in the future. But the union of husband and wife is also an alliance against the challenges and tragedies of life. it is a promise that with me by your side, you will never stand alone.

it is also the dire need to have someone bear witness to ur life. at the end, no one wants to be alone. You live alone, u die alone. Even the bravest men are scared shiless of lonliness.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by osereka(m): 2:33pm On Jun 13, 2007
part of the sign of end time is that the sun will rise from west and set in east
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by viee(f): 2:38pm On Jun 13, 2007
no seun, it is not blasphemy
while some couples are blissfully happy,
some are miserably sad

our decision is fromed through association
it appears the writer have been meeting with the sad ones

he is also right about his analysis
this days pple get married for so many reasons
even the society recognize that
we kept improving on laws that protect the children and how the wealthshould be split
because we know that, divorce is a sad reality so is loneliness

for me, it is just the guys opinion
someone with better experiences with marriage will have different opinion
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by justme3(m): 2:47pm On Jun 13, 2007
i think marriage shld be a matter of choice and not a matter of satisfying society but i think d eradication thing is total nonsense
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by Beline(f): 3:15pm On Jun 13, 2007
Eradicate what? abeg make i marry before una go eradicate marriage ooooooooooooooo
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by abdulD1(m): 3:17pm On Jun 13, 2007
no way!!
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by Beline(f): 3:20pm On Jun 13, 2007
On a more serious not, marriage issue should be of individual's choice, i have seen many who live and died without getting married not that they were priest.

If the other person is not happy in his/her marriage does not mean you will not be happy
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by Beline(f): 3:21pm On Jun 13, 2007
abdul_D:

no way!!

Abeg now, na beg I dey beg u ooooooooooooo
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by iice(f): 3:42pm On Jun 13, 2007
Hmmm I think it should be more of an individual's decision to marry or not, not something that society should dictate.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by proverbial: 3:45pm On Jun 13, 2007
@ice, it is your decision to marry. society dictates many things, many of which you're not forced to follow. marriage is one of these things.
it is still your decision. especially since you're an adult entitled to his/her freedom to choose.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by iice(f): 3:48pm On Jun 13, 2007
I think that is what i said @ proverbial undecided
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by proverbial: 4:19pm On Jun 13, 2007
our statements are different.
here's a paraphrase of what you said
"you think it should be an individual's decision to marry"

you're unsure.
On the other hand, I am very sure it is an individual's decision to marry. at least in my country
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by Islander(f): 4:22pm On Jun 13, 2007
Words were spoken, now to each its own!!

Some marriages really need to be eradicated. It's a shame.
Beline:

Eradicate what? abeg make i marry before una go eradicate marriage ooooooooooooooo

ROFLMAO, You better ran fast ooooooooooooo, Eradication coming, cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by proverbial: 4:35pm On Jun 13, 2007
Words were spoken, now to each its own!!
I am a "he"
and who or what made you my/our overseer?
are you some type of moderator on this forum?
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by iice(f): 4:42pm On Jun 13, 2007
@proverbial, ok oh! grin It's the certainty that is lacking in my comment. . .i shall rectify that.

It should be an individual's decision not something society should dictate.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by proverbial: 4:45pm On Jun 13, 2007
you need not bother grin; perhaps we emerge from different parts of the globe. pardon the misunderstanding.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by moondust(m): 5:14pm On Jun 13, 2007
@ seun
ask the blogger to pray hard so that there'll be a chance of it happening by the year 6000
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by kliffo(m): 6:19pm On Jun 13, 2007
I think the author must be confused,  eradication of the marriage institution is not a sign of societal or scientific advancement, but a sign of regression. The caveman did not have this social contract of marriage at the onset, but with advancement marriage evolved and society was the better for it. For me i will vote for the institution and our African traditional way of reducing marital stress- polygamy of more than 2 wives.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by spora(m): 6:33pm On Jun 13, 2007
The first question we should ask ourselves is:

why was marriage working then and it is not working now?

The reason marriages are having problems has to do with our inability to differentiate between its  benefits and its purpose/value. A lot of people have the wrong view of the purpose of marriage.

We now see marriage as a contract or how can one describe the pre-nuptial agreement as it's done abroad. or the open marraige syndrome a la Will Smith.

I read an article on the web sometimes ago and I will try to paraphrase it here:

The rationale for marriage is not so people can share in each other’s insurance and retirement benefits. It’s not about inheriting someone’s property.   Benefits are conferred upon married couples because marriage is important to society. Although the benefits of marriage certainly encourage marriage, they are not its purpose. 

Most people nowadays marry because of these benefits and that is why it is not successful.

Marriage is privileged because of the tremendous impact for good the institution has on the culture. Marriage, with its uniquely positive environment for procreation and the rearing of children, is worth maintaining for the perpetuation of society and the future of the nation. 

A happy, healthy marriage remains a top goal for any sane person. Most eventually want to marry and want those marriages to last.

Marriage provides an amazing list of benefits for children. Children that grow up with their own two married parents are more likely to succeed in school and in social situations. They are also more likely to marry and to succeed at their own marriages.

A long-lasting, stable, healthy marriage also provides many benefits for adults. Compared to their single or cohabiting neighbors, research shows that, on average, married men and women live longer, have better mental and physical health, report being happier, have higher incomes and build more wealth.

Strong, healthy marriages also benefit the community. Healthy marriages are the building blocks of healthy families. Healthy families are the foundations for strong, healthy communities. Marriage helps couples save money and build wealth.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by proverbial: 6:39pm On Jun 13, 2007
I think the author must be confused, eradication of the marriage institution is not a sign of societal or scientific advancement, but a sign of regression. The caveman did not have this social contract of marriage at the onset, but with advancement marriage evolved and society was the better for it. For me i will vote for the institution and our African traditional way of reducing marital stress- polygamy of more than 2 wives.
kudos fellow.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by dominobaby(f): 6:54pm On Jun 13, 2007
This is by far impossicant! In your dreams boy! Loq
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by Soundmind(m): 7:00pm On Jun 13, 2007
It appear this is a product of broken home. In Africa, it is not possible to eradicate marriage for it is the most legal way of procreation if not world wide.
It is not a social evil as being suggested by the author.
Well, this is a personal opinion and he is entitled to it.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by bodsibobo(m): 7:10pm On Jun 13, 2007
@ topic

Are you talking about marriage as instituted and ordained by God or marraige as insituted by the present day society and societal norms?

If you go into marriage in accordance to the instructions of He who instituted it then you can be sure that you will get the best out of it; but if you base your opinion about marriage on how present day men and women (many of whom have contributed to this thread) see it; then I can assure you it will not work!

Just as an example:- In this country where I live, there are three types of marriages:

1. Marriage in Community of Property - C.O.P

2. Marriage with Anti- Nuptual Contract - A.N.C with accrual

3. Marriage with Anti- Nuptual Contract - A.N.C without accrual

The first one stands for the marriage in which everything the spouses own (before marring and after marrying)belong to both of them together till death do them part.

No. 2 is the marriage in which as from the date of marriage, the spouses jointly own every thing together, but not what they each owned before marrying in which case, each person owns separately.

No. 3 is whatever each person owns before the marriage remains his/hers and also after they are married, each person owns his own thing and nothing is jointly owned.

This is to make a clear distinction amongst their property at the time of divorce and to make alimony easier in the courts.

And sadly enough, the most popular marriage type is the third one, followed by the second. The first type of marriage, common amongst us west africans is actually laughed at.

Now tell me what you expect from such a society where you are already thinking of, and planning for, divorce even at the time you are going into the marriage? eh?

And yet their government and other social institutions foolishly complaign that the rate of divorce is high, shuo!!!

And they, like the source of this thread,

With apologies to the two happily married couples I’ve met in my life (one of which recently divorced), the science is clear that marriage is an antiquated social institution that likely deserves to be eradicated.

In the days of yore, there were good reasons for marriage. Social institutions and religions required it, divorce rates were low, families were nuclear, people weren’t as exposed to temptation, and the life-enhancing benefits of a union were real. But marriage has changed considerably… and it’s time we acknowledge those changes.

Today’s world is markedly different from worlds past. We are better informed, with more objective knowledge about what’s really happening in our lives. We’ve eradicated small pox, typewriters, and sheepskin condoms… So maybe its time to eradicate an antiquated social institution founded in mythologies and traditions that simply aren’t real or relevant anymore!

think they know better now than the olden days people.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by champredd(m): 7:26pm On Jun 13, 2007
Marriages can never be eradicated, No way. There are some things that don't change, although it may reduce in the future because more and more people just don't want to get married or they live together for a long time b4 solemnizing their relatioship. It depends on those involved.
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by Seun(m): 9:04pm On Jun 13, 2007
Of course marriage can't be eradicated, but should the government stop giving people incentives to start families?
Re: Marriage Should Be Eradicated? by Caradona(f): 9:50pm On Jun 13, 2007
How can a Goldigger get to a man's money if she's not married to him. we ladies need the marriage or else we are broke.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help I Just Discover Dis And Is Late / 'i'm Married To Only One Woman & We Still Share Same Bed 43 Years Later" - Alake / Hilarious Conversation Between Mum And Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.