Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:10 PM

Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? (8329 Views)

Whats D Longest time U ve Driven Ur Car Without A Trip To Mechanic / How To Protect A Newly Bought Car / Driving A Newly Bought Car From Lagos To The East (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by abhosts(m): 9:12pm On Jan 29, 2011
Hello Car Experts,

I just bought a Brand New Car, but license plate and Registration Papers are not ready yet. I want to know if driving it can warrant any problems with law enforcement in Lagos.

Thanks
Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 29, 2011
Are you not a Nigerian?its possible you end up losing the car or customs people will play smart on you,police will chop you will different tricks,they may call you a big thief that stole the car.just wait or drive around only in your locality.
Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by femmy2010(m): 11:11pm On Jan 29, 2011
Keep a valid Copy of the custom paperwork in the car then you can move around your state with it without fear.
Best of luck and drive safe.
Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jan 29, 2011
abhosts:

Hello Car Experts,
I just bought a Brand New Car, but license plate and Registration Papers are not ready yet. I want to know if driving it can warrant any problems with law enforcement in Lagos. Thanks

Are we talking brand new, from a dealership, or a car imported into Nigeria, as a used car?
Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by abhosts(m): 11:22pm On Jan 29, 2011
Siena:

Are we talking brand new, from a dealership, or a car imported into Nigeria, as a used car?

Brand New from a Dealership.

Thanks
Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 30, 2011
abhosts:

Brand New from a Dealership.
Thanks

In that case, I doubt Customs & Excise will be an issue. However, the NPF will give you a hard time. You've laboured hard to buy a brand new car, I'd wait a little longer, and get her properly registered, licence plated and insured. Best be safe than sorry.

Enjoy your new car!

3 Likes

Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by Redstone(m): 7:38pm On Jan 31, 2011
People, I don't think you all understand the angle the plate number issue have taken, and I guess that is why our man who just bought a brand new car wants to drive without plate numbers, because he can't wait.

Well, I just bought a tokunbo 4x4, and it took more 2 weeks before I could secure a plate number registration for it, It is ridiculous that one will buy a car in Nigeria and plate number which usually is secure within 48 hours now takes 2 weeks to get if not more. The excuse is that there are no materials on ground to print plate ( Do govt give previous pales for free) the business of plate number issuance is a growing concern and the govt makes profit from it, some people say there is a rift between Lagos state govt and FRSC. Can Federal govt look into this anormally because it is getting that bad.

Secondly, few weeks ago I went for the renewal of my driver licence, and guess what people, it was like we were in a general hospital, crowd everywhere sitted around like we were waiting for some special doctor, and at the end of the day, I was given a date in April to come and check, not even to get the drivers licence. Other people can just for capturing of their picture and signature, and guess what, they filled out application/renewal forms since last year November.

Where is Nigeria heading to? People.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by bigfather(m): 8:06pm On Jan 31, 2011
@Poster , i would advice you to be patient pending the time you'll get your plate number. Cus it's very risky to carry about a non registered car about. You are definitely calling for undue attention.
Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by Denn(m): 10:33am On Oct 27, 2014
Redstone:
People, I don't think you all understand the angle the plate number issue have taken, and I guess that is why our man who just bought a brand new car wants to drive without plate numbers, because he can't wait.

Well, I just bought a tokunbo 4x4, and it took more 2 weeks before I could secure a plate number registration for it, It is ridiculous that one will buy a car in Nigeria and plate number which usually is secure within 48 hours now takes 2 weeks to get if not more. The excuse is that there are no materials on ground to print plate ( Do govt give previous pales for free) the business of plate number issuance is a growing concern and the govt makes profit from it, some people say there is a rift between Lagos state govt and FRSC. Can Federal govt look into this anormally because it is getting that bad.

Secondly, few weeks ago I went for the renewal of my driver licence, and guess what people, it was like we were in a general hospital, crowd everywhere sitted around like we were waiting for some special doctor, and at the end of the day, I was given a date in April to come and check, not even to get the drivers licence. Other people can just for capturing of their picture and signature, and guess what, they filled out application/renewal forms since last year November.

Where is Nigeria heading to? People.

I got plate numbers in less than 45 minutes... And that includes a trip to the ATM to get cash.

Like Diamond bank advert.... If you are not getting full service, you need a new registration agent.
Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by lonelydora: 11:05am On Oct 27, 2014
As long as it's a brand new car, there's nothing to worry about except tips to policemen who will want to delay you. Nothing like custom wahala.

I drove a brand new Kia Cerato from Lagos to Ph sometime last year without issues on the road. The policemen were like "Oga you buy new car, give us our drink money" i usually give them 200 or 500 naira depending on my mood. Just got stopped like 6 road blocks all within Edo and Delta state.

1 Like

Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by bravolad(m): 6:20pm On Oct 27, 2014
lonelydora:
As long as it's a brand new car, there's nothing to worry about except tips to policemen who will want to delay you. Nothing like custom wahala.
I drove a brand new Kia Cerato from Lagos to Ph sometime last year without issues on the road. The policemen were like "Oga you buy new car, give us our drink money" i usually give them 200 or 500 naira depending on my mood. Just got stopped like 6 road blocks all within Edo and Delta state.

Although this thread is as old as man, for the records and for those who might decide to buy cars and drive before registration is completed. The law allows you a three month (3) window period within which to register your car. Within this period, you could drive your car to any part of the country if your papers are genuine. For brand new cars, custom would not even stop you. Your worry should be losing your car to armed robbers.

5 Likes

Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by Export1: 5:06pm On Nov 05, 2014
It might be useful!

Here are the most common types of violations related to driver's licenses:

Failing to apply for a state-issued drivers license within the time allowed
Driving with an expired license
Driving with a license that has been temporarily suspended
Driving with a license that has been permanently revoked
Failing to show proof of a valid license when driving or operating a vehicle
Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by clemz85(m): 8:27pm On Nov 05, 2014
olas2u:
Are you not a Nigerian?its possible you end up losing the car or customs people will play smart on you,police will chop you will different tricks,they may call you a big thief that stole the car.just wait or drive around only in your locality.

my thought, Op is a question of right or wrong but a question risk, even if you have costum clearance, fear lost.
Re: Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? by Onliie(m): 8:39pm On Nov 11, 2019
bravolad:

Although this thread is as old as man, for the records and for those who might decide to buy cars and drive before registration is completed. The law allows you a three month (3) window period within which to register your car. Within this period, you could drive your car to any part of the country if your papers are genuine. For brand new cars, custom would not even stop you. Your worry should be losing your car to armed robbers.
does it apply to tokunbo cars too

(1) (Reply)

How Much Did U Spend On Fuel This Week? / Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? / How Much Does A Golf 3 Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.