Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,129 members, 7,807,422 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Igbo Or Ibo? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Or Ibo? (31332 Views)

Igbo Or Ibo: Which One Is Correct / Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others / How Do U Spell (weed) In Yoruba, Is It Igbo? Or Egbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Obiagu1(m): 1:38am On Feb 03, 2011
Abagworo:

Aha otu onye "enyemeaka n'ochichi" anyi (minister) bu Wogu ma na ufodu ndi ozo nakwa ede ya bu aha Nworgu ma o bu Worgu.

A proper noun is a proper noun, you don't change it to suit you. If someone says his name is Whyte, you don't rewrite it for him as White, do you?

Igbo said it is I.G.B.O., so leave it like that. I tire for this kind argument.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by excanny: 1:41am On Feb 03, 2011
grafikdon:

Too much efulefu  in Igboland. Chai! Alu emee!!!Akwu achaa n'odu igu!!! Nwoke aturu ime!!! I weep in Ekwulobia dialect. All right, ''Umu Ibo" and "Ndi Ibo", make una carry go.

I think Abagworo is quite right. Under normal circumstances, spellings are quite irrelevant and do not always determine how a word is to be pronounced. So on that note, I'll agree that 'Igbo', 'Ibo', 'Heebo', 'Ebo', etc are okay[b] if and only if the proper pronunciation is maintained.[/b]

But I think the 'Igbo' is a better guide to the actual pronunciation of the language, people and place.

P.S  Unfortunately the 'gb' in Igbo and in the neighbouring Yoruba 'gb' are very different in sound. But it can be a close guide for anyone who  wants to learn how to pronounce it in Igbo.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by aljharem(m): 4:38am On Feb 03, 2011
excanny:

I think Abagworo is quite right. Under normal circumstances, spellings are quite irrelevant and do not always determine how a word is to be pronounced. So on that note, I'll agree that 'Igbo', 'Ibo', 'Heebo', 'Ebo', etc are okay[b] if and only if the proper pronunciation is maintained.[/b]

But I think the 'Igbo' is a better guide to the actual pronunciation of the language, people and place.

P.S  Unfortunately the 'gb' in Igbo and in the neighbouring Yoruba 'gb' are very different in sound. But it can be a close guide for anyone who  wants to learn how to pronounce it in Igbo.

thank u
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by fstranger1: 4:40am On Feb 03, 2011
alj harem:

thank u

To me, Alhaji ChukwuEmeka and my dog and to my friend Alhaji Ucheze, it is Ibo!
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by aljharem(m): 6:37am On Feb 03, 2011
fstranger1:

thank u too my friend smiley
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by excanny: 7:22am On Feb 03, 2011
fstranger1:

lol. It's obvious your ways are not pure, even though you claim that you were born in Igboland and that your father gave you an Igbo name. Keep deceiving yourself.

I think I kind of like the binis when it comes to this. Where's Physics to help me out? What do you guys call Igbos? Oviigbo or something, ?
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by nwaigbomg(m): 11:48am On Feb 03, 2011
i have always felt insulted and offended whenever i am addressed with that word "ibo" by my northern friends here in my school in the North, the word sounds offensive and derogatory,

although the word "ibo" may be used by some sub-groups of Igbo, especially in Anambra state.
i belief that is colonial mentality, most of the ways african words are pronouned or written are not indegenous--rather they were imposed on the people by the colonial masters. you know in those days, they colonial masters control the media and printing press so you had to accept whatever they wrote or said, examples are awka, awkuzu, onitsha, oguta, enugu, nkwerre which are supposed to be oka, okuzu, onicha, ogwuta, enugwu nkwere, although they are pronounced correctly by igbos

but now colonialism is over, it now left for us to correct all ills and anomalies inflicted on our culture as a people with a common destiny by colonial masters,

in my area in imo state, i have never seen where elders are chanting "ibo kwenu"
i have not seen people bearing ibokwe, onuibo, obibo, amaibo, oluibo, iboanugo etc,

please, enough is enough, it is not ibo, it is IGBO. UMUIGBO, NDI OGA 'DIRI MMA. LET us correct this misnomer now before it is too late.

UDO DIRI IGBO,
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by aljharem(m): 4:06pm On Feb 03, 2011
nwaigbo_mg:

i have always felt insulted and offended whenever i am addressed with that word "ibo" by my northern friends here in my school in the North, the word sounds offensive and derogatory,

although the word "ibo" may be used by some sub-groups of Igbo, especially in Anambra state.
i belief that is colonial mentality, most of the ways african words are pronouned or written are not indegenous--rather they were imposed on the people by the colonial masters. you know in those days, they colonial masters control the media and printing press so you had to accept whatever they wrote or said, examples are awka, awkuzu, onitsha, oguta, enugu, nkwerre which are supposed to be oka, okuzu, onicha, ogwuta, enugwu nkwere, although they are pronounced correctly by igbos

but now colonialism is over, it now left for us to correct all ills and anomalies inflicted on our culture as a people with a common destiny by colonial masters,

in my area in imo state, i have never seen where elders are chanting "ibo kwenu"
i have not seen people bearing ibokwe, onuibo, obibo, amaibo, oluibo, iboanugo etc,

please, enough is enough, it is not ibo, it is IGBO. UMUIGBO, NDI OGA 'DIRI MMA. LET us correct this misnomer now before it is too late.

UDO DIRI IGBO,

okay brother, but i do not think you should feel insulted

it all means the same thing, ibo, igbo, eebo etc

if you find it insulting, then the educational sector of nigeria has to look to it; because it is spell like that in most schools
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by EzeUche2(m): 4:26pm On Feb 03, 2011
alj harem:

okay brother, but i do not think you should feel insulted

it all means the same thing, ibo, igbo, eebo etc

if you find it insulting, then the educational sector of nigeria has to look to it; because it is spell like that in most schools

You know you sound like a fool. The person's post that you quoted was correctly right. As an African, you should agree with him, but you have a COLONIAL MENTALITY. Free your mind.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by aljharem(m): 4:33pm On Feb 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

You know you sound like a fool. The person's post that you quoted was correctly right. As an African, you should agree with him, but you have a COLONIAL MENTALITY. Free your mind.
first of all why call me a fool

secondly, what colonial mentality are you talking about, did you not read my post undecided

i said " the educational sector of nigeria has to change to make people aware it is igbo" that if he feels insulted by it undecided

ezeuche, you better becareful; i have tried to let you igbos on nairaland like me but you insulting me,.,. please do not let me go to my old ways,., please brother angry
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by oludashmi(f): 12:45pm On Feb 04, 2011
Abagworo:

@obiagu.You have finally understood my point.Maybe the I.B.O. spelling makes them pronounce it wrongly just like [b]Dapo is spelled D.A.P.O. but pronounced Dakpo [/b]or Your San Hose example.

@boldened
You are right that Dapo is written that way but wrong that it is pronounced as Dakpo. . .we pronounce the same way we write. If it was pronounced as Dakpo, then the spelling would have been D.a.k.p.o.

I think the 'k' you included is from the igbo alphabet/pronunciation cos I remember an igbo friend who wanted to write 'Pelumi' but wrote 'Kpelumi', another friend wrote 'Kponmo' instead on 'Ponmo'. . .when corrected, they both said they thought it is the right spelling cos they spelt it in an ibo way. All the same, if you call someone, Kpelumi, she will answer but will never accept it as a spelling of her name. smiley

@topic
I have asked ibos/igbos this same question but their answers have always differed. Someone even said the pple are igbo while the language is ibo undecided. So I just call whatever comes to my mouth.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by ifyalways(f): 2:52pm On Feb 04, 2011
Abagworo:

Aha otu onye "enyemeaka n'ochichi" anyi (minister) bu Wogu ma na ufodu ndi ozo nakwa ede ya bu aha Nworgu ma o bu Worgu.
Obiagu1:

A proper noun is a proper noun, you don't change it to suit you. If someone says his name is Whyte, you don't rewrite it for him as White, do you?

Igbo said it is I.G.B.O., so leave it like that. I tire for this kind argument.
cool
Im overwhelmed by this his constant but highly flawed argument.All what he is arguing with are dialects.
I also asked him a question,he is yet to answer,which of those his worgu,nworgu kindreds say "Ibo" kwenu ?
grafikdon:

Too much efulefu in Igboland. Chai! Alu emee!!!Akwu achaa n'odu igu!!! Nwoke aturu ime!!! I weep in Ekwulobia dialect. All right, ''Umu Ibo" and "Ndi Ibo", make una carry go.
N'eziokwu,ihere na eme m.O buru di umu nwanyi na ako akuko a okwe na ekwu mana dimkpa shocked shocked
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by AndreUweh(m): 7:54pm On Feb 04, 2011
oludashmi:

@boldened
You are right that Dapo is written that way but wrong that it is pronounced as Dakpo. . .we pronounce the same way we write. If it was pronounced as Dakpo, then the spelling would have been D.a.k.p.o.

I think the 'k' you included is from the igbo alphabet/pronunciation cos I remember an igbo friend who wanted to write 'Pelumi' but wrote 'Kpelumi', another friend wrote 'Kponmo' instead on 'Ponmo'. . .when corrected, they both said they thought it is the right spelling cos they spelt it in an ibo way. All the same, if you call someone, Kpelumi, she will answer but will never accept it as a spelling of her name. smiley

@topic
I have asked ibos/igbos this same question but their answers have always differed. Someone even said the pple are igbo while the language is ibo undecided. So I just call whatever comes to my mouth.

Those Igbo people who thinks it is ibo did not sulk their mothers' breast properly. Some of them are children that no man paid a dowry or bride price on their mothers.
English people call them bast-azz.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by excanny: 8:09pm On Feb 04, 2011
oludashmi:

@boldened

@topic

You are getting it all wrong, funmi. Is the sound of 'p' the same in English as it is in Yoruba? No.

What Abagworo was saying is that pronunciation is always constant while spellings might differ. For example, I could write my name in arabic. The pronunciation remains the same but the spellings, and even the style of writing differs.

But really is it so difficult to spell 'Igbo'? When people say they find a thing offensive, what's there in showing a little respect?
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Obiagu1(m): 1:38am On Feb 05, 2011
excanny:

You are getting it all wrong, funmi. Is the sound of 'p' the same in English as it is in Yoruba? No.

What Abagworo was saying is that pronunciation is always constant while spellings might differ.
For example, I could write my name in arabic. The pronunciation remains the same but the spellings, and even the style of writing differs.

But really is it so difficult to spell 'Igbo'? When people say they find a thing offensive, what's there in showing a little respect?

Just like Dapo, in Igbo it should be Da"kp"o while in Yoruba, it is Dapo. Like I said, it is a proper noun and no one is at a liberty to write what suits him because the person that bears the name will reject it.
Just like we can't write Dakpo and expect one Dapo to give you a hand shake, so Igbos will not accept Ibo.

My brothers and Sisters, Igbo is a proper noun and you can't change that!
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by oludashmi(f): 1:00pm On Feb 07, 2011
Obiagu1:

Just like Dapo, in Igbo it should be Da"kp"o while in Yoruba, it is Dapo. Like I said, it is a proper noun and no one is at a liberty to write what suits him because the person that bears the name will reject it.
Just like we can't write Dakpo and expect one Dapo to give you a hand shake, so Igbos will not accept Ibo.

My brothers and Sisters, Igbo is a proper noun and you can't change that!
@boldened
Thanks for clarifying it to excanny.

@excanny
You cant teach me my alphabet
The 'p' in Yoruba pronunciation does not carry a 'k' both in writing and pronunciation.

@Andre
Is it so difficult for you at your age to reply to a post without cursing or insulting? I tire oo.
An Abia bred colleague has NEVER referred herself to as igbo but ibo ALL the time.
IMO, you cant blame any none igbo for calling you ibo cos they heard it from your pple who gladly say they are ibo.
I only notice this igbo stuff on NL too, yet some NLers still accept ibo, even on this thread. So you can see its got to do with your pple.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by AndreUweh(m): 3:18pm On Feb 07, 2011
^^^Amongst the numerous people here that have read my post, it is only you that is complaining. Take your time girl.
Some Igbo people born outside Igboland have found themselves spelling Ibo because of where they were raised. But they are wrong and do not know that they are. So every opportunity by Ndigbo is tailored towards correcting this insane attitude.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by excanny: 4:25pm On Feb 07, 2011
oludashmi:

@excanny
You cant teach me my alphabet
The 'p' in Yoruba pronunciation does not carry a 'k' both in writing and pronunciation.

I never wrote that it carries a 'k'.

This was my comment:

excanny:

Is the sound of 'p' the same in English as it is in Yoruba? No.

Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by ekubear1: 6:54am On Feb 12, 2011
excanny:

Hrm, this I didn't know.

Anyway, regarding the OPs question, I feel people have a right to be addressed by the name they choose for themselves. Since 90%+ of Igbo seem to prefer Igbo, I call them that.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by EzeUche2(m): 7:19pm On Feb 12, 2011
Correct: Igbo

Incorrect: Ibo

The British could not pronounce the "gb" sound, so they wrote "Igbo" as "Ibo." I do not expect West Africans to say "Ibo," because you all should be used to the "gb" sound, which is common in our languages. It is very disrespectful to say "Ibo," which is a colonial leftover.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Abagworo(m): 7:47pm On Feb 12, 2011
What some people have failed to realize is that this argument is not about pronunciation but spelling.For example if you write Igbo in Chinese autography I wonder if it will be rejected since it will in no way bear any semblance to I.G.B.O.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by uchez2(m): 11:03am On Aug 01, 2012
I see that some of us here who claim to be Igbo is actually Born-throway. U know urself sha. We IGBO not Ibo.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by uchez2(m): 12:57pm On Aug 01, 2012
alj harem:
first of all why call me a fool

secondly, what colonial mentality are you talking about, did you not read my post undecided

i said " the educational sector of nigeria has to change to make people aware it is igbo" that if he feels insulted by it undecided

ezeuche, you better becareful; i have tried to let you igbos on nairaland like me but you insulting me,.,. please do not let me go to my old ways,., please brother angry

@alj Harem, honestly u are a fool! People like u is the reason we don't have peace in this country Nigeria. Idiots and tribalistic nincompoops like u should not be born in the first place!
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 04, 2012
lol i've even seen "Ebo" grin

it was on some random site...probably a typo.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 04, 2012
uchez2:

@alj Harem, honestly u are a fool! People like u is the reason we don't have peace in this country Nigeria. Idiots and tribalistic nincompoops like u should not be born in the first place!

lol damn.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by kengis: 7:16pm On Aug 04, 2012
I as in Intelligent
G as in Greatness
B as in beautiful
O as in orgueil

It's IGBO
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:44pm On Aug 05, 2012
I hope not to offend anyone.
I do not speak Igbo, Yoruba or ... I have just some basic notions of Yoruba.
As far as I have studied Yoruba language originally was not written (I can be wrong). Therefore, the script was an adaptation of the phonetic often by Europeans.
I understand that, for example in Yoruba, there is a letter composed "GB" as a matter phonetics.
Now, what is right?
Sango? Shango? or Chango?
I (very humbly) think the phonetic spelling dl should keep the place of origin, and not the place or country of your speech ...
I mean ... the term "Chango" used in Cuba, may be valid for Cuban phonetics, but we can not analyze it seriously as a correct word.
Based on the foregoing, in the humble opinion of this scholar, the correct term (academic) should be IGBO, though, of course, by extension, should not be totally incorrect Ibó term.
It's just a humble opinion.
My warm greetings to all.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by OneNaira6: 8:03am On Aug 06, 2012
MsDarkSkin: lol i've even seen "Ebo" grin

it was on some random site...probably a typo.

probably wasn't. The Igbos were called and spelled Heebo, Ebo, Eboe, Eboans, Ibo and Iboe by many European historians. The Ibo and Ebo was the most popular ones. The person might have learned about Igbo on History sites and books thus, wasn't aware the actual real spellings. I've met people like that but all are online.

@ OP

It is Igbo. The language, culture, everything is Igbo. Ibo is just an incorrect spelling of the word which majority Igbos find insulting.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by AndreUweh(m): 6:07pm On Aug 06, 2012
One_Naira:

probably wasn't. The Igbos were called and spelled Heebo, Ebo, Eboe, Eboans, Ibo and Iboe by many European historians. The Ibo and Ebo was the most popular ones. The person might have learned about Igbo on History sites and books thus, wasn't aware the actual real spellings. I've met people like that but all are online.

@ OP

It is Igbo. The language, culture, everything is Igbo. Ibo is just an incorrect spelling of the word which majority Igbos find insulting.
May your Days be long.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by Abagworo(m): 9:45pm On Aug 06, 2012
Andre Uweh:
May your Days be long.

You guys are still wasting time on what does not matter at all. The problem lies more in pronunciation than spelling. Someone might pronounce "Igbo" as Ig-bo( egg bow) by trying to express the silent "g". Awka is better spelt as Orka for example.
Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by uchez2(m): 12:09pm On Aug 08, 2012
Ok,I want u all to do us a favor,gather all the past and recent question papers and syllabus of JAMB,WAEC and NECO and see if u will see any place they spell IGBO in any other form. Confirm from ur exam and syllabus,I hope we all wrote jamb and waec,right?

It is IGBO not ibo or ebo or whatever! The People,Place,language etc are IGBO! Please respect that.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Or Ibo? by uchez2(m): 12:12pm On Aug 08, 2012
One_Naira:

@ OP

May GOD bless u for ur truthfulness and upward-ness. Don't mind these tribalists who find fun in causing disharmony.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Whiteman Given Chieftaincy Title By Igwe Nnewi (Photos) / Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It / Ooni Ogunwusi Holds Thanksgiving In Church After His Coronation[photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.