Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,777 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:53 PM

Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare (8626 Views)

Buhari Picks Obasanjo As 'Envoy' To Guinea-Bissau / BREAKING: Buhari Picks Amaechi As His Running Mate? / APC Drops Buhari & Picks Tambuwal As Presidential Candidate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Beaf: 2:42pm On Jan 31, 2011
More to come. It happened a few minutes ago.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 31, 2011
perfect, this is where my vote goes to.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Afam4eva(m): 2:58pm On Jan 31, 2011
This is just a guarantee that my vote will never go to Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by SapeleGuy: 2:58pm On Jan 31, 2011
The crusader joins the jihadist but is Nigeria ready for this combination?
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by MaiSuya(m): 3:06pm On Jan 31, 2011
awaiting confirmation before I comment.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Afam4eva(m): 3:10pm On Jan 31, 2011
SapeleGuy:

There's really nothing wrong with the combination. Infact it looks like a perfect combination but the problem if the people concerned. I don't know Buhari's antecedent to vote for him and they don't represent my interest in any way.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by johndoe200: 3:11pm On Jan 31, 2011
"Allah is our objective; the Quran is our constitution, the Prophet is our leader; Jihad is our way"
                                                    Maj. General Buhari.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Mobinga: 3:12pm On Jan 31, 2011
MaI SUYA, you can now eat your words.
Pastor Tunde Bakare you are a disgrace.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by naijaking1: 3:12pm On Jan 31, 2011
SapeleGuy:

I like that comment grin
The struggle for Jerusalem begins shocked
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by IbroYaya: 3:25pm On Jan 31, 2011
The Rise and Fall of SGN Convener!
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by tolu001: 3:30pm On Jan 31, 2011
If this is true, then it may spell doom to the chances of Buhari winning the April elections.

In as much i support Buhari as a presidential candidate in the April polls, i think picking Bakare as his running mate is a wrong decision. Buhari needs the southwest vote to win and Bakare cannot deliver that.

He should have compromised his stands with the ACN and run on their platform, this would have boosted his chances of winning cos ACN can deliver the soutwest vote conveniently which is all he needs to win against GEJ.

Running on the ACN platform with Ribadu stepping down for him will at least give him 60-70% of the Northern votes and with ACN delivering 50-60% of the southern votes (majorly SW and some parts of SS) will definitely give him the clear edge he needs to win.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Mobinga: 3:38pm On Jan 31, 2011
Immediately your pastor starts poking his nose in Nigerian Politics, leave the church.
Bakare has failed.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jan 31, 2011
i better stop paying tithe to this bastereds,cos once they make some money they either start frying their hair,speaking bogus grammer or meddling with politics and politicians,ah bakare, so God finally asked you to fool yourself
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Coolabbie: 3:48pm On Jan 31, 2011
We finally know d outcome of his consultation wit God.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by MaiSuya(m): 3:52pm On Jan 31, 2011
Mobinga:

MaI SUYA, you can now eat your words.
Pastor Tunde Bakare you are a disgrace.

Fortunately for me, I them short and sweet. . .so I shouldn't have too much to swallow! lol

KAI! but Bakare you fall my hand. I really would like to hear his reason for jettisoning his primary assignment, leading his flock, for the tempting laps of partisan politics.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 31, 2011
I need to get another source of this info,

But anyway I don't see the reason why you don't believe God said he should go for the position. Some people say God/luck brought GEJ to his position now and thats why they'd still vote for him.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Beaf: 4:37pm On Jan 31, 2011
ikay88:

I need to get another source of this info,

But anyway I don't see the reason why you don't believe God said he should go for the position. Some people say God/luck brought GEJ to his position now and thats why they'd still vote for him.

Yes, I might need to apologise, it sometimes happens when ears are close to the ground; but lets wait for the fuller story. embarassed
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by johndoe200: 5:00pm On Jan 31, 2011
Listened to all the news , nothing on this. Will keep my ears open.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Gbawe: 5:10pm On Jan 31, 2011
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2011013120281064

Buhari picks Bakare as running mate, Shekarau opts for Odigie-Oyegun
By Our Correspondent
Monday, 31 Jan 2011

The presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change, Gen. Muhamadu Buhari (Rtd.), on Monday said convener of the Save Nigeria Group, Pastor Tunde Bakare would be his running mate in the April presidential election.

Buhari, through his spokesperson, Mr. Yinka Odumakin, said the choice of Bakare was based on the need, “to put the best feet forward in what promises to be a decisive political challenge for the soul of Nigeria”.

According to him, ”We have seen the uncommon enthusiasm of our people to register to vote in spite of the many challenges of the exercise, which speaks of their desire to do what Tunisians and Egyptians are doing on the streets through the ballot box in April.
“There is a compelling need to give them a ticket that will make all their sacrifices worth the while and that is what we have done,” he added.
Also, the All Nigeria Peoples Party presidential candidate, Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau has picked the ex- governor of Edo State, Chief John Odigie - Oyegun as his running mate.

A press release signed by Shekarau‘s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Public Relations, Mallam Sule Yau Sule, says Oyegun’s nomination for the position was taken by the ANPP presidential candidate in consultation with the national leadership of the party.

Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 31, 2011
Now we know better . . . . . all the endless taunts thrown at the C-I-C. eddioot. . . . . and let no one say anything about me "abusing a man of God"
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jan 31, 2011
It was the only logical choice for Buhari. He had to gamble and we'll see if the gamble pays off. As for Bakare, I will like to see how CAN, PFN and other Men of God will react to this. Love to see how Bakare will sell Buhari to the Christain community in the South. But wise choice for Buhari.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by bkbabe97y(m): 5:56pm On Jan 31, 2011
Funny how noone is choosing a Ibo running mate.

Everyone is avoiding the Ibos as the lepers they rightly are. . . .

Cool!
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by LoveKing(m): 5:57pm On Jan 31, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Funny how noone is choosing a Ibo running mate.

Everyone is avoiding the Ibos as the lepers they rightly are. . . .

Cool!

Shey! i wonder why they are still hoping for 2015 that will never come grin

@ BEAF

WHY DID YOU BREAK THE NEWS? MEANING WHAT?
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by LoveKing(m): 5:58pm On Jan 31, 2011
Beaf, are you scared?
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 31, 2011
ilugunboy:

Now we know better . . . . . all the endless taunts thrown at the C-I-C. eddioot. . . . . and let no one say anything about me "abusing a man of God"

Na small thing? No wahala, the Pastor will soon realise that politics is differennt from the pulpit. No wonder he was pressing it down our throats that Buhari is the "best" candidate.

He has even streghtened my resolve to vote for Jonathan.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by vigasimple(m): 6:30pm On Jan 31, 2011
With or without Bakare, Bhuari has no chance in this election, but what is Bakare's antecdent (politically) other than convenor of SNG.

What can Bhuari do?

God has thrown more confusion to the camp of GEJ enemies.

I don't like PDP nor GEJ but the political dynamics of Nigeria will change drasically with the formal election of GEJ on his own rights, and th 'core North' will no longer be born to rule.

Any Southern person that Vote for Bhuari/bakare's combination need's their head examine.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Genbuhari3: 6:33pm On Jan 31, 2011
Run Bakare, run… By Dimgba Igwe [08055001932 (dimgbaigwe@gmail.com] Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Wanted: a powerful candidate to give President Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan, a good fight at the general election in April. Enter my colleague, Dele Momodu, public intellectual, Dr. Pat Utomi, Kano State Governor, Ibrahim Shekarau, former EFCC boss, Nuhu Ribadu and former head of state, General Muhammadu Buhari. Each of the above candidates parade requisite credentials for good leadership. Momodu and Utomi are running on intellectual platform which usually in Nigerian context, hardly ever translate into votes. Their chances are as limited as the limited resources and structures at their disposals. One day, Nigeria would mature into politics of ideas but until then, we can only thank Utomi and Momodu for their courage to dare at least. Shekarau is coming into the race with a background of two successful tenures as governor of volatile Kano State who rode on the crest of religious-cum-populist bubble to become governor in a fairy-tale manner that may be difficult to replicate in a highly polarized and heterogeneous national platform. With captive support in Kano State and expected reasonable impact in some part of North West, he certainly has a spoiler’s chance in a limited territory. Such men are dangerous, but they are no national competition. Ribadu is waving his highly controversial anti-corruption achievements and truly, for a nation so deeply mired in the cesspit of corruption, this would have amounted to much, but he also carries with him, the political incubus of President Olusegun Obasanjo’s desecration of the anti-corruption agency under Ribadu’s watch for selfish political goals, including the third term gambit. Enter the ascetic former head of state, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari, perhaps one of Nigeria’s most incorruptible leaders. He had been oil minister, head of state and head of the Petroleum Trust Fund that used petroleum revenue to develop various sectors of the nation, but without enriching himself. On account of his moral probity, despite his harsh record of human rights abuses as a head of state, Nigerians have
Bakare Photo: Sun News Publishing
come to respect as well fear him. He is respected for his moral integrity and feared by Christians who think he is an Islamic fanatic who may turn out to be a Taliban! It was after all under his watch that Nigeria commenced romance with the controversial Organisation of Islamic Countries, (OIC), a romance that was consummated to a
limited but controversial degree under the presidency of Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida. Since then, many Christian electorates had feared Buhari’s presumed
potential to islamise Nigeria far more than they respected his incorruptible
personality.
Twice Buhari ran for presidency and twice he lost, even when he insisted that he
actually won. Many who rode on his name to power as governors under ANPP soon
dumped him to cut survival deals with ruling PDP and in turn, his party repudiated his court battles at electoral tribunals. But unlike the typical politicians who cut deals to
survive, Buhari had remained faithful to his uncompromising principles, a fact that had endeared him to the masses of the north, making him today potentially the most popular political figure in the north. Students of branding have a good subject in
Buhari on how to grow a personal political brand without spending a kobo. In a nation
where politics is a game of money—at times, running into billions—Buhari and his followers barely scratch by to pay their most basic bills.
But the absence of money to spend has not diminished Buhari’s brand; if anything, it has enhanced his connection with the masses, making him extremely popular. It is said that Buhari is the only man capable of pulling a million-man crowd in many northern cities without spending money on publicity.
This type of profile makes Buhari a candidate to beat in the north and therefore,
President Goodluck Jonathan’s stiffest opponent in the north. The snag however, for Buhari is how to translate his popularity in the north to the south. This has been tough
because of Buhari’s perception as an Islamic fanatic. For him to pick a southern
candidate, Buhari not only needed a Christian, but a credible one at that who
commands respect of the people. On this score, many of the popular politicians just didn’t make the scratch.
Enter fiery and iconoclastic preacher, Pastor Tunde Bakare, general overseer of the
Latter Rain Assembly and also the convener of Save Nigeria Group, (SNG). Report in
The Guardian of Thursday states that Bakare was being persuaded to become Buhari’s running mate for the April presidential election. Unfortunately, Pastor Bakare has been dragging his feet. One, he didn’t want to run for political office. Nonsense. Here
was Bakare preaching to few thousands and God says it was time to preach by words and action to 150 million audience and he is dithering and developing sentimental qualms? Second, Bakare didn’t want it to look as if the reason he formed SNG was really as a political platform to sell himself for political office. Well, then, Bakare, a
lawyer, ought to show me any section of the Bible and the Nigerian constitution that says that if you form a non-partisan association that exposed your leadership gifts to the world, you should not offer yourself to serve the people if they so desired. Imagine what would have happened if Joseph had told Pharaoh that he would not serve as prime minister in Egypt because people would think that was why he was dreaming and interpreting dreams! Or what God would have thought of Daniel if he had declined public office in Babylon simply so that nobody would consider him opportunistic! The question is: why do I want Bakare to run as Buhari’s running mate? First, it has to do with Bakare’s eminent qualification for the position. His profile fits that of Buhari like a pair of gloves. As a former Moslem, he would best understand the mindset of a typical ascetic Moslem like Buhari and how best to deal with him. Bakare is extremely bold and well able to speak his mind to powers that be, and that is, to speak the truth as he perceives it—a simple virtue that is in acute shortage in the corridors of power in Nigeria, giving lily-livered sycophants a field day. As a lawyer groomed in the chambers of both the fiery radical, Gani Fawehinmi and the arch conservative Chief Rotimi Williams, both now late, nobody would be able to pool the wool over his eyes. As a pastor, a minister of righteousness, he would not go into public office to amass wealth. In terms of leadership by example, where the president and the vice president are not soiling their hands with corruption, God helps anybody in their administration who would steal public funds. Buhari had proved his mettle from different public office positions that he would not enrich himself from public fund, neither would he be afraid to take bold decisions, including firing or jailing corrupt leaders. If his natural ascetic lifestyle made that unnecessary in his younger days, it would be crazy to think he would do otherwise in his old age. In other words, his character is no longer forming, it is already set and unchangeable. This would be dangerous for those of us in the media since Buhari patently seems to dislike media freedom, but then we would give him the fight of his life on that, trust us. The corruption challenge is on Bakare. In other words, wouldn’t the lure of office corrupt Bakare as many before him had fallen under the spell of corruption? Well, Bakare was a successful lawyer before he came into the ministry. He passed through the tutelage of the Pentecostal fundamentalist, Pastor Kumuyi of Deeper Life Bible Church and Pastor E. A. Adeboye of Redeemed Christian Church before he founded his ministry, Latter Rain Assembly. He had refused to join the prosperity bandwagon; preferring to play the role of an Old Testament prophet who had been the scourge of fellow Christian leaders whom he
accused of sundry offences including cultivating personality cult around themselves, doctrinal deviations and diverting into building human monuments rather than focusing on the core purposes of the church. Meaning that his passion is not amassing wealth and it would be unbelievable human tragedy if he changes now. Men who had definite purpose in life are not likely to be swayed by material circumstances as much as those who are merely opportunistic and lack definite purpose or spiritual anchors. If the Buhari-Bakare ticket happens, it would be the pairing of two strong personalities who would certainly give the Jonathan-Sambo-Incumbency ticket a run for their money at the polls. Win or lose, their candidacy would enhance the profile of the election from a potential walkover for Jonathan to a real contest where the winner would be somebody that would pass through the crucible to offer real values to the electorate. At the PDP convention, we saw a coronation of Jonathan, not a real contest, and this was all down to the power of incumbency. But Jonathan’s possible victory at the polls is not the problem; the absence of keen competition would be the problem that would undermine the credibility of the election. We must grow beyond “se-election” to real electoral contest; that is the only way to extract accountability from public office holders. They must sweat to get into power and be threatened with sack if they didn’t perform. If anybody asked my opinion on whether Bakare should accept to become Buhari’s running mate or not, I would borrow a prophetic trumpet and mount on the rooftop and blow: Run Bakare, Run…
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Genbuhari3: 6:42pm On Jan 31, 2011
That article below should silence the critics and awaken the spirit to liberation in this country. now this is a bb ticket.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by grafikdon: 6:43pm On Jan 31, 2011
SapeleGuy:

grin grin You beat me to the punch! LWKMD!! Where is Jakumo when you need him. . . lipsrsealed :-
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Nsiman(m): 7:01pm On Jan 31, 2011
I de laugh bakare! Buhari, a sharia law drunk man picking a church proprietor, i am smelling bakare's fall in xtianity.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Pharoh: 7:04pm On Jan 31, 2011
Hmm at last well lets see what is going to happen? . . . but both of them will surely divide the influence of ribadu in the north and southwest.
Re: Breaking News - Buhari Picks Bakare by Genbuhari3: 7:09pm On Jan 31, 2011
NSIMAN,

I know you are a hopeless person whose brain has be bastardized by Jonathan and his 40 corrupt thieves. until Buhari picks Jesus christ before he proves he is not an islamist. oh now it is Bakare that is backsliding! Mumu, Have you done half of the street protests bakare has done for this country? i am sure you were getting your brain washed then.

Pharaoh.

Ribadu does not have influence in the North, just correcting you on that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Deregulation Of The Downstream Oil Sector Is Illegal - Court / River State Election Rerun Ikwere Vote Your Own.count Igbos Out / Ibori Endorses Gov. Okowa’s Re-election Bid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.